PDA

View Full Version : What do they mean by "sloppy/sticky rotor head"

sam94
11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking about getting the new honeybee cp3, but i have heard roomers that the old cp2 had sticky collective and a sloppy rotor head.

Anyone know what that means?

Thanks

sam94
11-04-2009, 05:01 PM
anyone

sam94
11-04-2009, 09:02 PM

sam94
11-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Im writing all these little extra's because i really need your lots help.

gr8taz nitro
11-09-2009, 05:08 AM
My understanding of the sticky head is just that, the head is not completely free and it "sticks" in it's range of motion. With the cyclic linkage removed from the servos the head should move up and down freely. The slop can be seen when you lock the main gear and try to rotate the rotor head. When there's too much slop the head will rotate a few degrees before you feel resistance. That's why most people go to aluminum parts, the tolerances are better so you don't generally get the slop/stick.

vortex05
11-09-2009, 06:04 AM
That was a pretty good description of the cause.

Most pilots find sticky collective annoying because it makes it very hard to hold a steady hover since the collective stops becoming linear. what ends up happening is your heli will spool up then the servos finally overcome the sticky collective and the heli suddenly will go from 2 deg pitch to maybe 5 deg pitch causing the heli to jump.

More aggressive blades that don't require much pitch to hover only magnifies the problem since having the blades loaded makes the problem less obvious.

Sticky collective is basically worse when your trying to maintain a hover at a specified altitude since you no longer have the ability to finely adjust the pitch instead it kinda builds up then jumps when the stickyness is overcome. On a blade CP / CPPro careful application of grease in the right places has overcome this issue mostly for me. Switching the ball links from lag to lead also caused a dramatic improvement.