PDA

View Full Version : Which 30" to 40" to build?

jzanutto
03-08-2006, 04:06 PM
I love building and I have done MANY guillows conversions to .049 power and ail/elev control. Now I've got my micro gear and motor and I'm itching to build something, like the Dumas Pilatus. But I want to know of any other sources for kits that are in the 30 to 40 inch (ish) range before I hit the "add to cart" button. Seems like the top contenders are Dumas, Sig, Guillow, Herr. Any others?

E-Challenged
03-09-2006, 04:33 PM
See my post with links to various sites for kits and plans. The Pilatus would be a good pick and there was a build thread for it on E-Zone. Guillows conversions are great as a challenge in terms of building a small model light but strong enough to withstand the maiden flight and subsequent rough landings. I have an old Guillows PT-17 converion that is flying very well on a geared Medusa 12mm motor in a GWS DXA gearbox and a 400mah 3S lipo. It flew like a pig on EPS 300C and 8-cell 720mah NiMh packs. Generally, larger models, especially the more recent ones, designed for current electric power systems, including lithium power will fly better and last longer giving more enjoyment than older smaller designs intended mostly for display. Send 2-cents for cheap advice:D

jzanutto
03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I ordered the Pilatus