PDA

View Full Version : Albatross D-Va

dbcisco
11-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Coming soon, and it will be red.
No progress pics because camera is broken.
Fuselage is done. 24" wings on table.

floss
11-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Kit or scratch?

dbcisco
11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
It's a Golden Age Reproductions kit. 2 view plan (copyrighted 1938!) and print wood. Not worth the $20 IMHO. Designed for rubber motor only. we'll see if it can handle electrics. Might go with a GWS LPS system in it.

cocobear
11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
A small fleet of 25" fuselages from molded balsa.

DJ

dbcisco
11-09-2009, 05:11 PM

DJ
I want one! I need one! How do I get or build one?

IndyJones
11-10-2009, 03:27 AM
I want one! I need one! How do I get or build one?

Me too! ::o

floss
11-10-2009, 05:26 AM

DJ

:eek: You can't just go putting pictures like that up here without details on how and where we can get one!

Merkava
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM

DJ

Firstly, G'day all, been visiting these forums for a while, just never posted until now. My interest in RC is mainly based around my interest(s) in WWI, WWII and Korean War era aviation.

Now having seen some of your stellar work cocobear (Albatross D.I, DH.2 etc on here), and I believe that the Electrifly Sopwith Pup is your creation or at least based on it?? I can't help but wonder if these Albatross fuselages are the basis of an upcomming model in the range or at least a similar size range?

Please, Please put everyone on here out of there missery and inform us if these are (perhaps) the next Electrifly model after the Sopwith Pup. Or could this perhaps be the next model in the Fokker Dr.I, D.VII, Camel, Spad XIII, Se5a balsa / covering range??

My only preference for an Albatross would have to be for the slightly larger wing area and looks of the Albatross D.II. (Might as well make my first post a request...;-):D)

degreen60
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM

DJ

Hi. My name is Don and I am a WW1 R/C model airplane junky.

This is terrible, putting something like this up in the group meet. Is he a dealer trying to get everyone hooked again? Now we have all had a set back. We just have to know more. LOL

Just the size fuselage I like. Now what can I sell to find the money to buy one?

cocobear
11-11-2009, 03:14 PM
This is nothing GP related. I just wanted to try molding balsa. The design is proven as I did one last year with a carved fuselage. I will post some details as "how to" shortly. I have made 8 of them. In the next few days I will show pix of the finished fuselages , stained, with panel lines and nails and poly cryliced. The weights on the shells as shown above ranged from 10.9 grams and 12.4 grams. They are molded fro Midwest 1/32" 6" wide sheet. One sheet makes one airplane.

DJ

Crashalott
11-11-2009, 05:35 PM
How long are the sheets to make a fuse?

PaperAirplane
11-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I have never heard of molded balsa before. I will wait to see what you post, DJ.

7car7
11-12-2009, 03:14 PM
sub scribed!

cocobear
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
dbcisco, i am sorry for hijacking your thread. I will start a new thread.

dbcisco
11-12-2009, 04:00 PM
dbcisco, i am sorry for hijacking your thread. I will start a new thread.
Its not my thread. I just started it. ;-)
As long as it is Albatros related, I think it fits. Esp. if you are going to teach us how to make those pretty fuses.:D

PaperAirplane
11-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Its not my thread. I just started it. ;-)
As long as it is Albatros related, I think it fits. Esp. if you are going to teach us how to make those pretty fuses.:D

What he said.

scalercflyer
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Tell us more kind Sir about the build process for those fuses! :) Sounds like a monocoque method to me. BTW, the Albatros is one of my favorites next to the DRI. Hey Don, do you need any help finding another color scheme besides RED???? Just here to help..... :eek::D;) Marty

scalercflyer
11-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey paperairplane I saw your quote at the bottom of your thread response so here's some quotes/questions for you.... why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? :confused: Why do they call it hamburger if it has no ham in it? :confused: What does it mean to have the wind up (you WWI buffs should know this one)? marty :)

PaperAirplane
11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey paperairplane I saw your quote at the bottom of your thread response so here's some quotes/questions for you.... why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? :confused: Why do they call it hamburger if it has no ham in it? :confused: What does it mean to have the wind up (you WWI buffs should know this one)? marty :)

Well, I know that putting the wind up is making someone nervous or stressed, but I dont know if that is the same as having the wind up.

Hamburgers are named after Hamburg, Germany. There used to be something called Hamburg Steak, which was of course beef, and when meat grinders came around that steak got ground up. Immigrants from Hamburg spread the name.

Parkways were named parkways because they used to be a road in a park or a road connecting two parks. We only park on residential drive ways, but some driveways are long roads meant for parking. That still brings us back to the question though.

There ya have it:D:D:D:D
PA

And I am sorry for hijacking.

dbcisco
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Sorry, no pics due to dead cameras. Only need to attach wings, landing gear and make fake motor. No electronics yet, haven't figured out how to attach my BL as it needs to be recessed to get the prop in the right place. Painting drying as I write. All red w/ blue under wings. Yeah, I like that scheme.

degreen60
11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
No electronics yet, haven't figured out how to attach my BL as it needs to be recessed to get the prop in the right place.

I built a recessed box in my firewall the mount the motor in my Albatros.

dbcisco
11-29-2009, 08:28 PM
I built a recessed box in my firewall the mount the motor in my Albatros.
Looks like I'll do the same. Thanks for the photo.

scalercflyer
12-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Very clever de. I'll have to remember that. Marty

dbcisco
12-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Well I had to use the phone cam to get pictures. Pardon the low quality.
This thing is just to flimsy to go with electric, maybe rubber power FF would work but it is just going on the shelf. It is nice looking but changes in the temp and humidity in the room warp the wings a inch overnight. Going to stick with Guillows and some scratch builds from plans.

floss
12-20-2009, 01:45 AM
db
Would a bit of strengthening and micro RC gear not work well? Anything can be beefed up a bit if its too fragile, must be nice and light though?

dbcisco
12-20-2009, 02:00 AM
I attempted to use rigging but the slightest pressure and I heard wood break. This was designed for FF competition with tissue and rubber not microlite and electric. I am just going to build the Albatrii from the plans a few members have been so gracious to send me (Guillows and Sterling). This one looks better on the display anyway.

Crashalott
12-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey there DB, Chellie is going to like that Pink for sure.

degreen60
12-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I thought it was red for Marty.

dbcisco
12-20-2009, 03:46 PM
It is red. the camera is a bit off.

7car7
12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
It looks really good!

I hear ya on the fragile thing, but I think if it were mine, I'd do some non-scale rigging. I'd use some of the lightest test braided fishing ling you can find, then run the thread from the leading edge of top wing, to leading edge of lower wing, front and rear. Similar for the tail feathers. You know, just enough to limit it's ability to warp. This is the challenge of a DV, with the V struts. No support for that lower wing.

Sure love to hear it flew!

dbcisco
12-22-2009, 12:02 AM
I may turn it into rubber-band powered FF to start with (pretty easy to do. I'll see if I can rig it with spider-wire 2# test. Maybe ad some of the rigging points as I've seen in some period photos. Some of the originals appear to have creative rigging as well.

dbcisco
01-25-2010, 03:30 AM
Better pics with decent camera. Its red! :D

scalercflyer
01-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Marty climbs into his trusty SE5a and patrols the war choked skys over PA. He's at 10,000 feet when he sees below him that infamous Red Albatross flown by that cursed Baron Von D. He pushes his plane over into a screaming dive designed to come up behind the Baron and catch him by surprise. But alas, Baron Von D is too old a veteran to be caught by this trick. He turns his plane into the attack and the circling begins..........

Ron
01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
luckily...Snoopy...who was using a cloud to hide himself and his Camel, noticed that Marty was maybe into something that may prove to be over his head....so he adjusted his goggles, made sure his seat belt was tight, had a quick swig of his root beer and nosed over into a steep dive......

dbcisco
01-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Darn you snoopy!