PDA

View Full Version : How to mount an outrunner?

pootman
03-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I bought a hacker A30 for my new plane. Being new to electrics, how do I mount this motor? The paperwork that came with the motor is minimal. I think I have it more or less figured out, but would like advise from those with more experience before I blow the motor up. Thanks!

Rugar
03-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Welcome to WattFlyer!

We need more info such as what plane you want to mount it on, what ESC will you be using, what batteries etc....

pootman
03-08-2006, 10:37 PM
It's a Fliton Rogue 3D with a hacker x30 esc and a thunderpower 3s/2000mAH lipoly. The motor mount that was provided on the hacker A30 motor allows me to mount the engine both forwards and backwards. It also allows me to add a prop shaft on the rear of the motor to allow a backwards mounting. My questions is, there are several parts included for the motor mount, what parts are required for forward mounting and what parts for backwards mounting. For example, with a backwards mount (the mount that seems to work best on this aircraft) the original prop shaft faces to the rear and an alternate prop shaft is mounted on the opposite side of the motor. I used the mount that looks like an X, do I need to use anything else? What the lightweight collar for? Or the round wood mount or spacer (not sure) for? Thanks for the advise.

Rugar
03-08-2006, 10:53 PM
It's a Fliton Rogue 3D with a hacker x30 esc and a thunderpower 3s/2000mAH lipoly. The motor mount that was provided on the hacker A30 motor allows me to mount the engine both forwards and backwards. It also allows me to add a prop shaft on the rear of the motor to allow a backwards mounting. My questions is, there are several parts included for the motor mount, what parts are required for forward mounting and what parts for backwards mounting. For example, with a backwards mount (the mount that seems to work best on this aircraft) the original prop shaft faces to the rear and an alternate prop shaft is mounted on the opposite side of the motor. I used the mount that looks like an X, do I need to use anything else? What the lightweight collar for? Or the round wood mount or spacer (not sure) for? Thanks for the advise.

The collar goes on the shaft and pushed all the way on when you mount the motor backwards like your planning on doing. It basically is a safety retainer to help hold the shaft in place in case one of the c clips breaks so the shaft wont come out. The wood mount is just another way to mount the motor on different applications.

All you should need to do is put the collar on the shaft, and then bolt the X mount on the same side of the motor. Then bolt the prop adapter on the opposite end of the motor and your all set. I always use Blue Loc Tite when bolting that stuff up to be sure nothing comes loose.

pootman
03-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info. The collar threw me off.

hoppy
03-10-2006, 06:51 PM
The round wooden plywood mount can be glued to a firewall on the front of the plane. The motor shaft goes through the firewall /plywood mount and the 4 screws hold the motor on. The motor is behind the firewall in this case. I generally just use a piece of 3/32" plywood for the firewall and mount the motor to it using the supplied round plywood as a template for where to cut the holes. In this case the collar is not used.