PDA

View Full Version : Hobby King 2.4Ghz gear, is it any good?

Catalina
11-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi, I buy a lot of gear off Hobby King and I was wondering what their own brand of 2.4Ghz transmitters/recievers are like.
They are extremely cheap when comparing to other brands such as Spektrum. For example:
6 ch 2.4Ghz with 5 model memory and reciever is $60.
Just wondering if any one has any experiance with them and their pros and cons.
Cheers

See: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=295

Moxus
11-12-2009, 10:28 AM
i dont know for the 2.4 gear specific, but i bought a lot of 35 mhz corona recievers.
im very impressed with them, and in my ducted fan application wich is very prone to switch noise from the esc, the cheap corona reciever actually proved a LOT less sensitive to this noise than the stock futaba reciever!
i have to add that this is a 10 y old futaba reciever, but still.
futaba has always been quality, and for a cheap ass chinese to be on par with futaba is excellent. the fact that its even better on noise suppression is simply marvellous.

of course this doesnt automatically mean that the 2,4 ghz gear is equally good, but it is possible. hobbyking does have a lot of cheap-ass gear that in fact works very well.
they have had a couple of unfortunate products too.
but i found that their have a lot more of good gear than they have bad gear, so if you buy from hobbycity regularly, you can afford to buy a dud once in a while, and still have huge savings compared to buying expensive brand.

Insomniac
11-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I bought one of these sets recently, and here's a copy of a PM I sent a member who wanted to know if they were any good.

I bought the 6ch set which is programmable via computer, but doesn't have model memory ($30) I'm not sure if it's compatible with their newer sets with memory.

The transmitter isn't bad. It's not the greatest, but it does the job. The build quality of the transmitter is pretty average, about on par with most RTF transmitters. The only noticable issue is that my throttle trim lever barely clicks near the lower end, so it's easy to bump. Luckily the other trims are fine, and the switches and dials all work and feel as they should.

It took me two goes to get the correct driver for the cable. The software is 'T6Config' which is easy to find on the net, but the driver they include with it didn't work with the cable I was supplied with. I just googled the name that came up when the cable was plugged in, and it quickly led me to the correct driver.

The program is pretty simple to use, and allows you to reverse servos, set endpoints, adjust subtrims, program up to three mixes at a time, and control the mixes from two switches. You can also program dual rates and a throttle cut button. Unfortunately you can't program in Exponential. Another downside is the two dials for channel 5 and 6 are pre-programmed in as two mixes... if you were using elevons (which require two mixes), you would only be able to have one of these dials functioning, effectively removing one channel.

I have only tried the plane (ACRO) setting, and haven't done anything with the heli modes.

The reciever is quite small and light, and seems of decent quality. You can unplug the lead connecting the dual receivers to help you position them more easily, but unfortunatly the plug is VERY hard to remove without damaging the wires. Another minor issue with the reciever is that the two halves of the sattelite rx don't take much to separate... I accidently opened it while repositioning it (one half stuck to the double sided tape) It just popped back together and gave it a wrap of tape to make sure it stayed closed.

Also, the receiver included has rather long wires on both the main unit and the little sattelite rx. Apparently if you purchase separate receivers they come with the more compact, shorter anntennes.

To bind the RX to the TX, you insert the bind plug into the 'batt' port, and the ESC into any other. The two RXs have little red LEDS that will start to blink. You then power on the TX while holding the bind button, and hold it until the LEDS go solid. Worked the first time for me.

I did fly this afternoon, and it did the job. I got very, very high and it never seemed to glitch or have any issue. The only problem I ran into was my own... I accidently flicked the dual rate switch without realising what I'd done (it's in the same spot as the throttle control on the old, rtf TX), and nearly crashed due to lack of control. I reprogrammed that button as the throttle cut and moved dual rates to the other side to help stop this problem from happening again.

Other than that though, it did a perfect job. If you just want to get a plane in the air, then this set will do the job perfectly. The receivers are cheaper than any other 2.4ghz system and have performed perfectly so far. The main downsides of the radio are it's lack of programmability if you don't have a computer handy, the fact it only stores one model in memory, and the lack of exponential.

Also, this transmitter uses 8AAs, and according to the hobbyking comments, it eats them quick. I've done a few flights and haven't had to change them yet though.

Catalina
11-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks Insomniac, thats all good info. It just seems too good to be true to have 2.4Ghz under $100. But after your positive comments I think Im keen to buy. Its got to be heaps better than the RTF 36Mhz Im using at the moment (although I still have not had any issues here) but I have just ordered a twinstar2 and would like that 5 model memory. Good for $60 hey.

con244
11-13-2009, 04:39 AM
There's a thread over at RC Groups that consists of a group of guys who have pulled these sets apart and checked them out electronically. There are also some great modifications that can be made if you are that way inclined. I bought a 6 channel unit when they were on special and am pretty happy with it so far. The HK labeling on the front is a bit cheap and nasty looking but the inside uses pretty much standard circuitry. Check out this thread!http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967207
Cheers :)
Con

Insomniac
11-13-2009, 05:01 AM
Thanks Insomniac, thats all good info. It just seems too good to be true to have 2.4Ghz under $100. But after your positive comments I think Im keen to buy. Its got to be heaps better than the RTF 36Mhz Im using at the moment (although I still have not had any issues here) but I have just ordered a twinstar2 and would like that 5 model memory. Good for $60 hey.

Lets hope you have as much success with the 5-model memory one as I have had with their standard 6ch.

Catalina
11-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Lets hope you have as much success with the 5-model memory one as I have had with their standard 6ch.

Well, I have held off because lots of talk about no receivers for this model.
HK Hobbies don't even sell a receiver for their own transmitter. Does any body else have one of these models with a receiver that works? Looks like only the new 6ch with 5 model memory is affected by no receivers.

rhari
11-22-2009, 05:22 AM
I summarized my experience with this HobbyKing transmitter in my blog over at http://blogs.hari.us

dbcisco
11-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Can someone post the FCC ID numbers for any of these TXes? Thanks.

Insomniac
11-22-2009, 06:49 AM
I summarized my experience with this HobbyKing transmitter in my blog over at http://blogs.hari.us

I read your blog, and I'm pretty sure I can tell you what the 'getuser' button does. I think it basically tells the program to upload the current tx setup into the program. It seems to do this automatically when you open it though, so the button doesn't really appear to do anything significant when you press it.

I put my second RX into my newly refurbished stryker, and twice it seemed like I lost control for a second or so. Now, I'm not quite ready to slap the blame onto the radio gear, as a few things could have been the problem:

I have the main rx jammed right near the speed controller, which might have gotten hot/caused major interference (though this shouldn't happen with 2.4ghz, especially not one with dual rx's)

I haven't flown ailerons for a while, so it may have just been a case of dumb thumbs that made the plane seem to stop responding.

The lipo I was using might have a dodgy plug, as this problem didn't seem to happen on my second flight with a new LiPo.

The servos/pushrods might have gotten stuck or loose or somthing, although nothing appeared amiss on the ground.

It could have also been the connections between the servos and the servo extenison leads, which didn't quite fit as well as they could have.

Lastly, the tx batteries were on the 'amber' light, not the green so it could be that this tx needs full power to be effective.

I'll give it a few more flights and see if the problem resurfaces (lets hope it doesn't, and that if it does it doesn't drive my plane right into the ground).

Also, is the charge plug on the tx connected? I checked with a voltmeter and got nothing through it.

EDIT: On the more sensitive settings, my meter sees a couple of mv at the charge plug, so I assume there's a diode in there to stop current flowing in reverse.

Also, does anyone find it ironic that you can't get extra rx's for the set for which the main selling point is model memory?

On the subject of FCC ID numbers, the only thing on my TX is a sticker reading NO:H084699

EDIT EDIT:

Well, I have held off because lots of talk about no receivers for this model.
HK Hobbies don't even sell a receiver for their own transmitter. Does any body else have one of these models with a receiver that works? Looks like only the new 6ch with 5 model memory is affected by no receivers.

If the comments on Hobbyking are to be believed, Cornoa V2 DSSS recievers will work with the 5 model memory tx.

Catalina
11-22-2009, 11:34 AM

Rhari, I think you have the 6 channel one without model memory.
I was after info on the one with the model memory (model type is HK-6X)
See this link:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10173&Product_Name=HK-6X_2.4Ghz_6ch_w/_5_Model_Memory_TX_&_RX_(Mode_1)_

This is the one they dont seem to sell any receivers for.

Catalina
11-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Anyway, I decided against the HK-6X and purchased the basic 4ch type HK-T4A-M1 and also purchased an additional reciever. This is so cheap to get all my models flying with 2.4Ghz. Well let you guys know how it all goes when I get the package and get them flying.

Tx: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8337&Product_Name=Hobby_King_2.4Ghz_4Ch_Tx_&_Rx_(Mode_1)

Rx: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8440&Product_Name=Hobby_King_2.4Ghz_Receiver_6Ch

dbcisco
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Just a warning, if there is no FCC ID sticker then it is illegal to use in the U.S.A.
Not that the FCC is not hunting anyone down. Your club isn't supposed to let you use non-FCC certified equipment so don't be surprised if you aren't allowed to use it at their field.

Insomniac
11-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Lucky I don't live in the USA then... I wonder what the equivilent certification is for Australia? My radios never had any trouble getting through customs.

dbcisco
11-22-2009, 09:54 PM
They don't check much at customs. Other than drugs and weapons they aren't very interested in personal parcels. Check with your government's department in charge of radio equipment. Even Australia has regulations I am sure.

Catalina
11-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Just a warning, if there is no FCC ID sticker then it is illegal to use in the U.S.A.
Not that the FCC is not hunting anyone down. Your club isn't supposed to let you use non-FCC certified equipment so don't be surprised if you aren't allowed to use it at their field.

Thanks, but Im in Australia as well and dont belong to any club. (except the 'crash very fast into the ground' club)

dbcisco
11-24-2009, 01:04 AM
I even have an illegal Heli from Holland that I fly in backyard.
It is still a crime.

Catalina
11-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Recieved the gear today. All looks good. The spring tension on throttle is a bit light (can this be adjusted?) but other than that all OK.
The Rx's have longish antenna's on them which is suprising for 2.4Ghz.
Is correct placement one in the horizontal and one in the vertical position?
Will let you know how it performs when flown.

radialarm
11-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Recieved the gear today. All looks good. The spring tension on throttle is a bit light (can this be adjusted?) but other than that all OK.
The Rx's have longish antenna's on them which is suprising for 2.4Ghz.
Is correct placement one in the horizontal and one in the vertical position?
Will let you know how it performs when flown.If you notice there's a silver end about an inch and a quarter!!!

It's an antenna on an extension cord!!!

Yes on the placement!!!

dbcisco
11-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Can you post the FCC ID from the sticker on the TX? I want to dispel the rumors.

Insomniac
11-27-2009, 06:21 AM
It looks like HobbyKing now stocks the extra RXs for the 5-model-memory transmitters. (http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10389&Product_Name=Hobby_King_HK-8R_2.4Ghz_Receiver_8Ch)

Catalina
12-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Well, went flying today finally (been very windy in Sydney lately) and got to test all my new gear:
New Hobby King 4ch 2.4Ghz tx and rx
New brushless inrunner for my minimag
New Accucell 6 battery charger.

Firstly the new Hobby King cheapo 2.4Ghz tx and rx are great. The case on the tx feels a bit cheap but fine for me. The rachet action on the throttle was a bit too free (loose) so I just opened it up and bent the little spring metal arm inside that rubs on the rachet and this has fixed this problem.
The rx has 2 separate receivers. 1 large and 1 small. The case on the small one kept coming apart but a bit of CA fixed that. No problems binding etc. Silly how the antennas have a extesion wire but this let me get them out of the plane body and stuck one horzontal, one vertical, on each side of the plane. The size of the rx's where a bit of an issue (not much room in the minimag) but I mounted them with velcro just under the wing mount.
Now for the flying, no problems at all with range or interference. Went at least 400m away and 100m up with no issues. Very happy.
With the new motor it was very easy for the minimag to get away (using 3 cell lipo) but all good.
Any question about the gear I am happy to answer for you.

rhari
12-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Rhari, I think you have the 6 channel one without model memory.
I was after info on the one with the model memory (model type is HK-6X)
See this link:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10173&Product_Name=HK-6X_2.4Ghz_6ch_w/_5_Model_Memory_TX_&_RX_(Mode_1)_

This is the one they dont seem to sell any receivers for.

I would think the existing 6Ch and 8ch receivers would be compatible with this transmitter. No?

dbcisco
12-05-2009, 12:08 AM
I would think the existing 6Ch and 8ch receivers would be compatible with this transmitter. No?
Ask them. never count on any 2.4Ghz equipment being compatible with any other, unless explicitly stated it is compatible, without asking first.

rhari
12-13-2009, 06:44 PM
I think overall the transmitter does work. The feel of the case is ok but for the price, who cares as long as I am able to control the plane well. I haven't used this TXRX combo quite a bit yet so still tend to use in on planes that I don't mind trashing e.g. SloV. Hopefully, with enough experience and time, this will change. Waiting for summer to come by.

Catalina
12-14-2009, 07:08 AM
rhari,
Have used mine about 10 times now and am felling very confident. As my flying is getting better I am flying much higher and further away and have had absolutly no problems at all. Seems a very stable system with a good range. Am putiing the recievers in my new planes as well.
Battery life seems a bit short howerver in the transmitter.

dbcisco
12-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Just though someone (me) should mention that just because something isn't FCC certified does not mean it isn't any good. It simply means the US Gov't has not approved its legal use in the USA, nothing more.

LipoPilot
12-14-2009, 02:09 PM
I love em, just dont fly behind trees or anything that will obstruct the view between the receiver -n- transmitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC255WK4hGI