PDA

View Full Version : House of balsa warbirds

skiman762
03-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Has anyone build any can they be made lite for electric power?

Sky Sharkster
03-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Skiman, sorry nobody has answered yet! Guess not too many flyers are converting the H.O.B. kits, there's so many "dedicated" electric kits now. I have a H.O.B. Focke Wolf 190 kit NIB, looked at it a couple of times but can't figure a way to convert it. Too overbuilt (designed for glow .049 to .09) with lots of sheeting and extra weight. The motor mount would have to go, entire fuselage forward area re-designed to accomodate battery compartment + different motor. Wings have sheeted L.E. and offset spars for (optional) retracts, that would need refit. Overall I'm guessing 25-30 oz RTF so it would need a good-sized electric motor, bigger than a "400" size anyway.
I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it's looking like a LOT of work. Maybe a winter project? Anyway, just about any of the kits from the "Links" thread sticky would build much faster and still be a good looking model. Some e-conversions are easier than others. I'll bet somebody has done it, though.
Good luck!
Ron

portablevcb
05-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Which ones?

The small 1/12 scale stuff is really nice as electric. I built the FW-190 with a Mega outrunner and 3s LiPo (120W). Turned out to be 22oz and flies like a dream.

I originally fitted Robart 1/2A retracts but had a problem with adjustment and lost both servos. Gear wasn't fully locked down. Collapsed on takeoff and stripped both servos. Had to amputate :( With the retracts it was 24oz (one HS55 per side). Also had disabled BEC because of 5 servos.

All of these 1/2A planes fly very well. I know of several others that were built and flew very well, even on long can 400's (sp480). Not for a beginner but good for intermediate flier. Mine has a top speed of about 50-60mph. Landing is at about 25mph (belly on grass).

Be careful of control throws. The FW has elevator travel of less than +/- 1/4". More than that and it will tip stall like a fool!! It does drop a wing in a stall. Aileron travel is +/- 3/8" on high, 1/4" on low. I never use high rates.

It doesn't knife edge well, but, flies fairly stable inverted. :)

Building is pretty simple. Follow the instructions. You can lighten it up in various places if you want or leave as is. Mine went together faster than most kits. Only real 'conversion' is how to mount the motor.

charlie

dsumner
12-21-2006, 09:19 PM
House of Balsa has a couple of 1/10 scale P-51's designed for electric power.

The first one is designed for Atroflight 020/gearbox and their second one with retracts is for the new Astroflight 19.... Check them out, they build quick and fly very well.

Old Crow is the original kit with fixed gear, I am currently flying with the Astroflight 020 with a 4S2100 LiPoly and a9x4.5 APC. It weighs about 31 ounces.

The Hoover Machine is the retract version with the Astroflight 19 with a 3S2480 LiPoly pack and weighs 38 ounces. I am using an APC 9x6 prop. I fly both versions off grass with no problems.

Jerrytmi
12-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Here's my laser arts/mountain models P-51. 1/12 scale w/retracts. 20 ounce AUW with a e-flite 4200KV and 1320 TP 3s pro lite. Darn nice flyer.

Hey dsumner, metro Detroit Michigan here. You?

dsumner
12-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Here's my laser arts/mountain models P-51. 1/12 scale w/retracts. 20 ounce AUW with a e-flite 4200KV and 1320 TP 3s pro lite. Darn nice flyer.

Jerry

I live in the Canton area...

DSumner

Jerrytmi
12-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Jerry

I live in the Canton area...

DSumner

Small world, I live in Redford five and inkster, fly electrics in a few of the Livonia parks like Rotary park.

Where do you fly at out in Canton?

Nice Mustangs by the way. I contemplated that HOB model before I found the laser arts/mountain P-51. I see on the HOB web site they have 2 listed for $500.00 but not a clue of why the price is so high. Do you know anything about those kits?

dsumner
12-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Small world, I live in Redford five and inkster, fly electrics in a few of the Livonia parks like Rotary park.

Where do you fly at out in Canton?

Nice Mustangs by the way. I contemplated that HOB model before I found the laser arts/mountain P-51. I see on the HOB web site they have 2 listed for $500.00 but not a clue of why the price is so high. Do you know anything about those kits?

Jerry,

I have been a member of the Signal Seekers since 1971 and fly at the Michigan Ave and Merriman field.

The reason the HOB kit is $500. is because it includes the Astroflight motor, speed control, Special Alluminum spinner, APC prop, Apogee Lipoly, Robart retracts and all the hardware, including wheels, pushrods, etc. The only thing you need to add is your servos, receiver and covering. The retracts each work off their own micro servo. They are easy to adjust and you can take the whole retract plate which includes the servo out for adjustment... I have built both the Mustangs and they are a great build, all laser cut of course. They also have a neat Acro Cub.

Dennis

Jerrytmi
12-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Jerry,

I have been a member of the Signal Seekers since 1971 and fly at the Michigan Ave and Merriman field.

The reason the HOB kit is $500. is because it includes the Astroflight motor, speed control, Special Alluminum spinner, APC prop, Apogee Lipoly, Robart retracts and all the hardware, including wheels, pushrods, etc. The only thing you need to add is your servos, receiver and covering. The retracts each work off their own micro servo. They are easy to adjust and you can take the whole retract plate which includes the servo out for adjustment... I have built both the Mustangs and they are a great build, all laser cut of course. They also have a neat Acro Cub.

Dennis

Dennis, is that an inrunner and gearbox or an outrunner? Whats the thickness of the sheeting on that bird?

dsumner
12-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Dennis, is that an inrunner and gearbox or an outrunner? Whats the thickness of the sheeting on that bird?

Jerry,

The 020 is a conventional inrunner with Astroflights gearbox. The new 19 is a inrunner that swings larger props like an out runner.

The Old Crow is a partially sheeted wind with open bays, 1/16 balsa sheeting. The Hoover P-51 features fully sheeted wings, stab, and fin (1/16 balsa).

Lil-Snoopy
12-30-2006, 04:10 AM

I have the HOB kit sitting here ready for a rebuild, a park 4200kv motor and 1320 lipos ready at hand and was wondering if you are running a Gear-Box, if so which one, or straight? Also what prop?

Alex

Eplane
12-31-2006, 01:19 AM
I have had this kit laying around for quite sometime and decided that it needs E-Power.

It's the older HOB P-51D version that required a .29 to .40 and had a projected weight of ~4 - 4.5 lbs.

I figure an AXI 2820-12 or the E-flite power 15, possibly the 25, ought to do the trick with a CC45 ESC and 3S-4S lipo.

Anyone else ever convert this kit?

Jerrytmi
01-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I have the HOB kit sitting here ready for a rebuild, a park 4200kv motor and 1320 lipos ready at hand and was wondering if you are running a Gear-Box, if so which one, or straight? Also what prop?

Alex

Yes, I'm running a e-flite 6.6:1 GWS style gearbox and either a 10x8x4 or 11x7x2 prop. I would think my setup would not be enough power for an HOB P-51, I believe the larger HOB is about 10 ounces heavier than mine.