PDA

View Full Version : Nieuport 17 Laser kit

Longtimeflyer
11-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi All,

I have attached some pictures of an awesome home designed kit that is being built by my very good friend. He used the CAD design files to laser cut the kit parts. I am so impressed with the light and strong structure, and the quality of the prototype kit, that I just had to share this with you all.

The model is a 47 inch span Nieuport 17, built from balsa wood, but with carbon reinforcing. This concept works extremely well and is very easy to build.

I will add more pictures and text as the build progresses in future. Expected all up flying weight will be around 500 grams, or 1.1 lbs. This will make for an extremely good and scale-like flying model.

Enjoy

vonJaerschky
11-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Very interesting technique and a very nice looking framework. Looking forward to a flight report.

dbcisco
11-15-2009, 07:07 PM
That is nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes the Guillow's Nieuport I just got look sick. :(
What machine did he use to laser cut the parts? They came out perfect!

Longtimeflyer
11-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

It looks even better in the "flesh"! I will find out what laser equipment was used and let you know. What is really impressive is the fit of the parts.......perfect. Lots of experience has gone into the CAD drawings, the trick being to provide just the right offset on the part edges to allow nice fitting parts after the laser has burned the material away. What you see in the pictures has not even been sand-papered yet.

More coming soon.........

dbcisco
11-15-2009, 07:48 PM
.... What you see in the pictures has not even been sand-papered yet....
That is even more amazing!!!!!!

JetPlaneFlyer
11-15-2009, 08:48 PM
That looks real nice.. It appears to be very close to scale structure?

Steve

Longtimeflyer
11-16-2009, 06:46 AM
Yes it is, Steve. None of those solid wingtips with holes in them that can be seen through the covering.

JetPlaneFlyer
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Longtimeflyer,
What will you cover the model with? Those tail feathers especially look like they will need a lot of care during the covering process to prevent shrinkage of the covering causing warps and 'bowing' of the framework.

I take it that the laminated outlines are balsa as opposed to bass wood?

Steve

Longtimeflyer
11-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi Steve,

It is laminated balsa, but has 1mm carbon rod backing along the straight pieces, thus it is very stiff and light. Covering will be So-Lite (UK buyers) or Coverite Microlight 21 st Century (USA buyers), then sprayed with Krylon clear matt finish. Humbrol clear matt works nicely too. This produces a very light finish that looks extremly real. No primer is required, just a wipe down using acetone is all that is required. I have done this with great success in the past.

Longtimeflyer
12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
The airframe is pretty much completed. Laser cut wheels have been added as well as a vacuum formed polycarbonate engine cowl. It is going to be covered in silver So-Lite.

barmonkey
12-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Very Nice! Looks like it will make a very scale looking model when done, Although it looks very good now.
Are the wheels going to be covered in So-Lite also?

7car7
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Great looking bones! I like the hybrid method of building. Where did you source the cowl?

It's a great size, and looks to be very light. Would LOVE to fly that one.

PaperAirplane
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
That is absolutely, perfectly gorgeous!!! I look forward to seeing more!

Longtimeflyer
12-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Barmonkey, the wheels will be covered in So-Lite. I guess the real plane wheels were fabric covered too.

7car7, I had the pattern for the cowl made up at work out of a casting resin, then we vacuum formed the cowl from some off-cuts of Boeing quality polycarbonate:). We run a Boeing thermo plastics division at work, supplying to Boeing in Seattle. We can make more!

It is a very efficient structure and I am sure it will fly beautifully.

Cheers,

IndyJones
12-03-2009, 05:01 AM
Subscribed!
Hey Longtime... you and 7car7 have the nicest looking planes!

RGA90
12-03-2009, 05:56 AM
that thing looks soo light. looks like a joy to build,

Ryan

7car7
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Subscribed!

That was very kind, thank you.

dbcisco
12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
I am soooooo jealous!

Longtimeflyer
12-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Thanks IndyJones for the kind words. We are having fun building nice models.

ENUT
01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Looks like another "Pat Tritle" on the other side of the pond:cool::D Longtimeflyer,Very impressive work!!! Finally someone took the time to study factory drawings! Instead of drawing a outline and loading "THE CRAP OUT OF IT WITH WOOD"!!!Everyone please take notice.Will be waiting for a flight report.
ENUT

Longtimeflyer
02-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Firstly, let me remind you all that I am not the creator of this fine model. I am posting it to share with you this awesome model. Danny, my long standing friend, designed the kit, had it laser cut and built it.
Attached are some pictures including the maiden flight.

The model came in at 495 grams, giving a wing loading of just over 4 oz/ft! The flying qualities are superb. It flies very realistically. This is a superb model all round.
Enjoy!

Longtimeflyer
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Bracing "wires" are carbon rods. Wheels are sprung using elastic bands. Matt Clear Krylon over silver SoLite produces a lightweight and realistic looking finish. The AXI 2208/34 has more than enough power and allows the model to be looped from straight and level flight. Flight times of over 35 minutes are achieved on a 3S TP 1320 Lipo.

7car7
02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
That's nice. Could you share how you (well, the builder;-)) went about attaching the carbon rod at the ends?

Longtimeflyer
02-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I will ask Danny exactly how. No doubt he used CA glue and the rods would have been inserted into holes, the depth of which I do not know.
I need to convince Danny now to make a gun, and add some other details.

Longtimeflyer
02-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote from Danny Lubbe (the model builder):

"The model comes out great on the net and looks even better than in real life……! As regards the fixing of the carbon bracing wires: They are 0.5mm.- thicker ones also work well for other applications (struts, U/C etc) You just press them into the wood where you have a good base – spar, strut or something – and add a drop of cyno. To get it out is usually not easy. You need to really break it out and a whole blob of balsa comes with it. You get a very strong bond.

Be careful if you need to do a second attempt. If for some reason the first one did not work after applying the cyno and you remove the rod, the second attempt does not work so well – rather use a new hole."

79CJ
02-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Very nice looking. I love the overhead view where you can see all the ribs in the wings. The scale appearance is amazing.

7car7
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Ah, Got it. Much like a flat foamie with rods.

Longtimeflyer
02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Some photos from our late afternoon flying session of yesterday. 7car7 might recognise my GP SE 5 flying with the Nieuport.
The Nieuport is loads of fun to fly. The take-off's and landings are just too fantastic..........looks so real! With the very low wing loading, she flies almost like a trainer.
Enjoy.

unshackledbuzz
02-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Very impressive. Is this kit available for purchase?

Pete

Longtimeflyer
02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
I sure hope so. I will let you know soon. Would the laser cut parts, cowling, plans and instructions be what you would want?

PaperAirplane
02-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I sure hope so. I will let you know soon. Would the laser cut parts, cowling, plans and instructions be what you would want?

Just wondering, would you include the CF rods in the kit?

Thanks ;-)
PA

Longtimeflyer
02-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Yes of course, no problem. We could also include the tire cord.

unshackledbuzz
02-11-2010, 07:43 AM
"I sure hope so. I will let you know soon. Would the laser cut parts, cowling, plans and instructions be what you would want?"

That sounds good. My kit building experience is limited at the moment, but getting better as I build. Are there more photos of the build process? The use of cf rods in the structure is intriguing, and if it isn't rocket science, I'm game for the challenge.

Peter

gpeden
03-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Yes of course, no problem. We could also include the tire cord.

Hi there,

Very nice. I'd be very interested in purchasing as complete a "short kit" as possible, uh,,,, soon:D

I'm so tired of getting excited about commercial kits or ARFs and then seeing video's of them flying around at "jet-scale" speed and seeing everyone rave about them!

Seed the world with a few kits and I bet that there would be quite a demand for them in a short period of time:eek:

Funny thing - I read this thread a week or so ago and then when I tried to find it again on RCGroups, I spend a lot of time searching there before I said, "wait a minute - I spent a few minutes on Wattflyer the other day":silly:

dbcisco
03-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Once I found Wattflyer all other forums paled in comparison (even WF's parent RCU). Great people and info here.

brutus251
03-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Id also like to purchase a kit.I agree ,if you want speed ,get a jet! Theres nothing like a WW1 warbird cruising the skies. B

scalercflyer
03-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Once I found Wattflyer all other forums paled in comparison (even WF's parent RCU). Great people and info here.

AMEN Brother! marty

Longtimeflyer
03-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi All,

Danny (the designer and constructor of the prototype) has started making adjustments to his original plans, adding improvements based on the first prototype build experience. These changes are very minor, bearing in mind that his plan was originally only produced in order to laser cut the parts. He will add construction details too (right Danny? :D) He needs to stop flying his Nieuport now and get on with the kits!

Every one who appreciates a realistic, slow flying model is going to love this Nieuport. I will keep you all posted with regards to progress towards the first kits.

Thanks very much for all the kind comments, it is great to share this fantastic hobby with like-minded people from all over the world.

Cheers,

Gavin

IndyJones
03-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Wow, I would like info on this kit purchase as well! Please add a German plane to accompany this one next... :)

dbcisco
03-03-2010, 03:30 AM
...Please add a German plane... :)

I would like to see a nice wood sheathed, torpedo bodied German plane.

gpeden
03-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Soooooo,,,,,,,,,, any word about kits? :)

Longtimeflyer
03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Danny is working on the plan revisions and improvements. It will be worth the wait I am sure. We need a spell of bad weather to keep him grounded, so he can do the work :D

gpeden
03-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Hi,

I've ordered a 40" Tritle N-17 to satisfy my impatience for now, so now I can get building something new for springtime. I'm still interested in this model, but no more hurry :)

Gunnar155
05-08-2010, 03:14 AM
the plane looks beautiful and i too would be interested in a kit/short kit. iv been looking around for a scale looking one that wont break my buget any idea on how much it might cost? im working on a lanier se5a and an aerodrome fokker D7 so it will be a bit till i get another plane but within the next few months or so, once school gets out, id be intersted in getting this neiuport.:D

Longtimeflyer
05-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi All,

Danny has designed an ingenious cowl, with interlocking laser cut balsa wood parts. The optional thermoplastic cowl is bulky and adds to the shipping costs, so this cowl allows for a flat-packaged kit, thus reducing shipping costs dramatically.
See attached pictures....we are getting there!

7car7
05-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Great looking cowl! Not sure you wanted it light though! Seems these planes can use that weight.

Longtimeflyer
05-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi 7car7......the prototype came out nose heavy. This is due to the airframe being very light and also the servos were mounted just behind the firewall. But you're right, it can be built too light if you want to fly on typical days with a bit of wind. You do however lose that real slow and realistic flying quality though.

Cheers,

Gunnar155
08-23-2010, 06:24 PM
any updates to when this kit or short kit will be available?

Longtimeflyer
08-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi Gunnar.....I have a kit ready to be built right now. I am going to do a build thread as I go. Would you be interested in doing the same, and giving us your feedback too?
My only problem is that I am away for the next month, so my building will need to wait until then.

Gunnar155
08-23-2010, 11:50 PM
I would be very interested in doing a build, but i do have a extra 300 from parkszone that i am currently repainting and an aerodrome rc fokker D7 that im still working on and school starts in 2 days lol so im not sure when id be able to get around to the N17...

Gunnar

brutus251
08-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Please let us know the price and availability.This is a must for my WW1 hangar. B