PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tubing!!!!

ragbag
08-15-2005, 12:52 PM
We all have to do some soldering from time to time.

Picked up this hint somewhere, don't remember where, but I think it is one of the better ones. Solder only goes where you want it and keeps your fingers from being burnt.

Fuel tubing in different sizes does come in handy with our electrics!!!!!

Makes it easy to pretin the connector and then add to the wire that has been pretined.
George
Gainesville Fl

ForestCam
08-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Too bad I've only flown electrics and have none of this mysterious "fuel tubing" that you speak of.
I have heard that it's like insulated wire without the wire though.
:D

ragbag
08-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Mine was given to me. There is a guy running around the forums that might have some to spare.

"Nitro something" is his name I think, He could mail it to you in a plain brown wrapper.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

George
Gainesville Fl ;)

gwh
08-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Cut into 1/8-3/16 inch pieces, it makes nice little bands to hold a clevis closed.

The othe day I was helping a friend mount a motor in a speed 400 pylon plane. It was a pain to get the motor to line up in the nose mount since this particular plane had about a 6 inch nose. I just slipped a long piece of fuel tubing on the motor shaft and used it to guide the motor into place. It also allowed me to turn the motor so that I could get the holes for the mounting screws to line up.

Geoff_Gino
08-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Hi Ragbag
Excellent idea, thanks for sharing. I normally use a pair of locking forceps, but they get kinda tight on the bigger connectors.
Geoff

SargentM
08-17-2005, 10:19 AM
I use short pieces of fuel tubing to slip over the male connectors on my flight packs to prevent them shorting out in my flight box. It's all about peace of mind with Lipo's.

buzzbomber
08-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Silicone fuel tubing is like duct tape - it has so many uses that it's origin is on the verge of obscurity(well, that's hyperbolic, but you know what I mean). In addition to the soldering helper™ and the clevis closer™, I also use "large" fuel tubing as an exhaust diverter for my infernal combustication engines. It's also good for slipping a length over the end of needle nose pliers to keep the jaws clamped closed, like when using them to hold a small screw steady, etc.

ragbag
08-19-2005, 03:25 PM
While on interesting ideas, take a #64 rubber band and put it around the handles of your pliers. Pick up the deans connectors, lay the pliers on the work bench and they will stay in place while you tin them and solder the wires.

Don't do as I do, do as I say. Put the heat shrink on the first time you solder the wire.:D

By George

EpoweredRc
08-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Good ideas.

ragbag
08-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Good ideas.

When we showed up at the field with the first home built fan folds, one fellow called them "Dirt Ugly Foamies".

For some reason, we started calling ourselves the DUFFS, Dirt Ugly Foam Flyers.

Sounded good to me.
By George:p

SargentM
08-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Heehee! Thats the best one I've heard in a while.

Prop Bender
08-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi All

I use 1/2 A fuel line to keep the wheels on the wire landing gear,
just put the wheel on the gear and slip a 1/4 in. piece on over wire to secure the wheel.

Also, if any of you are flying a HummingBird helio, a lot of it's
frame and landing skids are held togather with small (1/4 in.)
pieces of fuel line.

If you keep a few different sizes on your work bench it win't take
long until you have all kinds of uses for the stuf.

Frank

Mike18
08-26-2005, 01:21 AM
infernal combustication engines

Now that theres funny...I don't care who you are! :p