PDA

View Full Version : servo setup

DanHam
03-09-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm an old guy just getting into RC flight. I love sailplanes and purchased a "full house" 107" Pelican "Grace" model from NSP.[I know, not a easy first plane to start with but .. I intend to get help from a flight instructor] I'll likely graduate to powered flight in the future but for now, I want to sail.
I am at the construction point on the glider where the servos need to be installed and wired. How do you incorporate two aileron servos and two flap servos into a 6 channel reciever? I recieved one "y" harness which I assume will connect either two flap or two aileron servos. I'm not sure how to connnect the wiring from the servos to the reciever. Do I need another "Y" harness connector for the flap servos? I guess my question is "how do you connect two aileron or two flap servos to the reciever which has only one connection plug for each function. I'm sure this question has been asked a million times..

AEAJR
03-09-2006, 05:28 AM
All depends on your radio. What radio are you using?
Make and model please

And, no, that would not be a typical starter sailplane. Typical starter sailplanes have 2-3 channels and polyhedral wings. Examples would be the Gentle Lady or the Spirit.

tim hooper
03-09-2006, 08:44 AM
DanHam,

I'm not a sailplane expert, but it's not uncommon to use a Y-lead to link the flap servos together, and then assign the 2 aileron servos a channel each to enable 'crow' braking. You'll need a 6-channel tx/rx combo for this.

I'll second AEAJRs comments though, and recommend you save the Grace until you mastered the art of missing the ground on something more expendable and durable.

tim

AEAJR
03-09-2006, 12:21 PM
If you only have a 4 channel radio standard radio, like a Hitec Laser or a Futaba SkySport, here is how you do it. I will use Hitec/futaba channel assignments. Yours may be different. Remember it it the radio that determines the channel assignments, not the receiver. The lables on the receiver assume that the radio and receiver are the same brand, that this is only a 4 channel radio.

Ailerons - Y cable to Channel 1.
You must mount the aileron servos so that they will move in OPPOSITE directions. Try to get both servos mounted the same way, either both arms close to the surface or both away from the surface.

Elevator - Ch 2

Flaps - Y cable to Ch 3
You must mount the two servos so they move in the SAME direction. Mount both servos with the arms either close to or away from the surface. You want flaps up - normal position - to be when the throttle is full forward. Flaps down will be when you pull back toward you.

Rudder in Channel 4.

If you have a computer radio that has the ability to do mixing this will be different, and will give you more flexability in what you can do with the servo mounts, and how you use the surfaces.

So, Dan Ham, what radio do you have?

DanHam
03-10-2006, 02:25 AM
I have a spektrum 6 radio which comes with a 6 channel reciever.

DanHam
03-10-2006, 02:32 AM
channels are#1bat#2thr#3aile#4ele#5rud#6ger#7aux