PDA

View Full Version : Aussie flyers help please!!

ExtremeRC
03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
hey guys, I am trying to figure out what the hell to use to glass over my foam wings, I dont want to use finishing resin, so what do we have available at the local hardware?? I have read about Polyurethanes, but been told no such thing in waterbased exists. Lots of water based floor coatings available, I dont want to buy just anything, can someone give me a name brand or material I can use with my 25 gram glass pleeeease!!
:)

olmod
03-10-2006, 01:47 AM
Ive been using selleys durabond (from bunnings)mixed with about 10% of water based acylic house paint ,any colour you want ,pre mix it and apply by wiping on with an old credit card and alowing to dry for a few hours,then sanding off any lumps and second coating and if needed another coat ,it really toughens things up and a real bonus is you can use whatever you like over the top without the foam being attacked,it also adds very little weight ,try it yourself on some scrap foam ;) cheers Lez.

GLBiggles
03-31-2006, 12:41 AM
I use Cabot's "Crystal Clear" Gloss. It's a water based Polyurethane available at local 3D Paint outlet. I think Wattyl have something similar. Just check the tin for a water clean up or thin type.

bleary
04-03-2006, 08:50 AM
I also used Cabots Crystal Clear,but in a satin finish.How did the gloss turn out? I wasn't all that impressed with the way mine turned out with .75 ounce glass over a Stryker blank,it still seemed soft and spongy,even after 3 coats.I was expecting it to make a harder finish than it did.
I did another one with finishing resin,much harder,but also much heavier.
The cabots is very thin,and didn't seem to bond all that well.
Cheers,
Bleary.

ExtremeRC
04-03-2006, 09:06 AM
The Cabbots worked great for me, yes its softer compared to resin, but hey, its 25 gram glass too! I can tell you its tough, my fuselage on the A10 snapped at the weak point, just in front of the wing where the canopy is cut out, the glass broke clean just like normal fibreglass, and went back together in 5 mins. The wing suffered no damage at all bar a little grazing on the tips of the wing pods.

I would definitely use it again, its much lighter than any type of resin, much safer to work with, you can sand it heaps once its all on, and it does stick well, mine did not come off anywhere around the break site. In fact the next A10 I build will be fully covered with 25g glass and crystal clear, and no CF reinforcement, its just dead weight once the plane is glassed. Build to fly, not to crash! :D

GLBiggles
04-04-2006, 09:24 AM
I've found that strengthening the areas that really need it with a little glass cloth and resin, sand smooth then cover all over with glass and water based polurethane (WBP) works for me. Finish is generally good enough to paint without much work. Tamiya, Humbrol or Testors, acrylic is good for scale.

ragbag
04-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Some of us USA guys use Bounce fabric softner sheets after the wives get done with them. Put in place with a little zap and you got it, balsa or foam.

Cheap and recycled.

Epoxy works as well, so polys should do also.
I also use UHU glues on the foamies.