PDA

View Full Version : F7F Tigercat kit

Piperfan
03-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I saw a kit online recently that was similar to the Aeronuat kit that Hobby Lobby brought in a couple of years ago. The kit was RTC fiberglass fuse with built up wings with nice dummy radial engines that fit in the engine nacells. Any one know of this kit? Or have a link to the sight? I can't seem to bring the page back up. Its not the one listed at KA models. While that one is nice the detail in fuselage is not as nice. http://www.kamodels.com/ Multi engine listing. Any help would be great. The wind span was about 52" and comes in a glass fuse and some plastic styren parts. Also, this model has a finished full front office. Thanks.

Speed is Life
03-09-2006, 10:47 PM
DuctedFans.com has the real Aeronaut F-7F kit.
The Dollars -vs- Euro exchange rate has pushed the price up since HobbyLobby last had it.
http://www.ductedfans.com/planes_E_tigercat.html

turbonut
03-11-2006, 02:27 AM
Hi Piperfan, its K&A models...I just picked up there 262 &163..Kits havnt shown up yet so we will see how good they are..But they sure looked nice in the pics.
Scott

Speed is Life
03-11-2006, 05:11 PM
You won't be dissapointed with any of the K&A kits. Ken Williams does very nice glass work and the kits are well engineered.
I've posted pix of my K&A F-84 in the past on RCG and have a Me-262 in the box that I've not gotten to yet.
Ken lives just a few miles from me and I drop in once in awhile. I've handled his Tigercat parts during development and it is similar to but not a direct copy of the Aeronaut 'Cat.

As in the old "Life" cereal commercials......."Mikey likes it!".
-Mike

turbonut
03-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks mike! how is the zipper..I am workin on mine as we speek!
Scott

Speed is Life
03-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Weather sux........winds at 30-40Knots for a week now. Zipper just has to sit in the garage & look fast.

Since it's building weather I'm fiddling with my Aeronaut Tigercat and a P-38, maybe looking at a late spring rollout.

The 'Cats R2800s are ready!
-Mike

turbonut
03-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Nice detailing! its amazing how much a little attention helps!

Speed is Life
03-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Turbo,
Thanks for the complement.
What the effort into the R2800s means is that I'll have to do an at least credible job on th cockpit. Gotta find a decent US Marine aviator that is the right size to start. (Maybe I'll sub a Navy pilot & he won't tell). Cockpits are a PITA....
-Mike

Piperfan
03-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Hi Mike,

I recently put a Just Pilots WWII AAC European theatre 1 1/2 pilot bust in my P51-B. They also have a great looking WWII South Pacific Theatre Navy/Marine pilot figure. I got both since I am in the process deciding which WWII naval aircraft together in the near future. These pilots have incredible detail. I picked up mine from Hobby Lobby. About $10 each. If I get this F7F-3 from KAhobby, I will consider putting this in it. Post WWII pilots typically used a helmet in the front office of the F7F-3. If you gona do a post get a pilot with a helmet. If you gona do a WWII scale get a soft helmet figure. Do you have any pix of your F7F? Please post them when you get a chance. I spent about 5 hours painting AAC 8th AF. I even used epoxy to simulate the goggles. Aces of Iron has a great series of tips on painting realistic pilot busts. It really ads a lot to scale job. Look forward to your pix.

Speed is Life
03-13-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi PiperFan,
Mine's going to be a late WWII since most of the post war/Korean era were 2 seater night fighters. I've seen the Just Pilots on HobbyLobbys website but never actually held one to size it to the 'Cats cockpit.

So far my project is mostly still in primer gray except for the cowls with the 2800s.
I will post pix when it gets to the flyable stage.

Right now I'm putting in Mega16/25/4s, CC Phx35 ESCs, and will use 3sLiPo with either 8.5x7 or 9.5x7 black Aeronaut props. Didn't do outrunners as the Megas were easier to work inside/behind a full engine detail

No gear, just bungee & belly slide landings.
-Mike

Piperfan
03-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi Mike,

The bust is about 1 7/8" across the bottom and about 2" high from the upper waist. I have the Flying Styro P51-B Old Crow version (see avatar or my photos posted)and put mine in it. I carved a lower torso for the upper of pink foam. I didn't bother to do too much detail on the lower since your really don't see it. The Aeronuat F7 is about 1/12 scale and should be about the right size for this pilot figure. My P51 is 32 inch wingspan and the figure is a slightly larger then scale, but thats ok. I would not bother with landing gear on this plane either. Any nose gear would be far too delicate for anything more then a perfect landing. Does your Aeronaut kit have a full cockpit detail? How much did you spend on your basic kit? Does it still have built up wings or foam? Thanks Mike, will look for your response. Thanks, Gregg

Speed is Life
03-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Piper.....
Below is a pix of the cockpit from the Aeronaut kit, pretty basic. There will be some work involved, not even a decal of an instrument panel was included.
I aquired my kit 2 or 3 years ago for about $220 (a steal), it has the built up wings. (No idea if the current ones are sheeted foam). I removed the upper capstrips and inserted 1/16" sheet, silkspanned the bottom open area then .6oz glassed the wing. Also sheeted the stab and sanded a nice airfoil shape then glassed too.
-Mike

Speed is Life
04-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Update:
Getting a little done on the 'Cat.
Wing mounted and turtledeck fitted....a pain to fit.
Ailerons mounted with hingepoints, 3 each.
The nacelles aren't mounted yet, I just hung them on to pump up my lagging build interest.
-Mike

Stick Banger
08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Here are a few pics of 48" Tigercat scratch foamie. Two 35-30-1450 outrunners, 35amp esc. Goes straight up accelerating. Weighs 4.5 lbs
Very sensitive to elevator.
P-38 is a GWS, very stable and grooves , like it best.

CarreraGTSCS
02-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Did anyone ever build their K&A F7F? I've been looking for one but there don't seem to be any build threads on any of the RC sites.

Mike

turbonut
03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey Mike! funny you post this i was just looking at mine to see if the new eflite retracts will fit and they do just perfict!..Time to start a build!..Ken is also now making them prepainted in the mold in white for a fire bomber versions..It will be the next kit he makes into a fully molded plane.
Scott
http://www.kamodels.com/

CarreraGTSCS
03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Scott-- Do a build thread for it. The K&A F7F has been around for a while now but there don't seem to be any build threads. Theres one available not too far from me but I've been holding off getting it because of the lack of info on it online. I started looking for an Aeronaut Tigercat instead. There just seems to be more info and video of the Aeronaut version. I like the bigger span and the detailed motor in the cowling.

Mike