View Full Version : Power 15 broken shaft
Can I replace the shaft to the Power 15 or am I stuck buying a new one?
If it can be replaced, any suggestions on where to buy one with some kind of directions?
Thanks for the help
11-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Here is the part. Not too difficult at all to change.
That is the correct part and it's not that difficult to change...BUT..
You need a GOOD, Quality, Allen wrench that fits the set screw correctly.
If you use a cheap wrench, the set screw will round off and you will have a lot of problems.
The set screw is at the end of the drawn arrow.
Well, I've tried to pay attention to the advice to use a good quality allen wrench. The set screw on the back end came out of the wring. But on the front end of the motor one set screw came out and there seems to be a second set screw a quarter turn from the first. It won't move and now the wrench is rounding a bit. The shaft will not move however I havn't hit it with anything serious yet.
Is there a second set screw at the front of the shaft?
11-28-2009, 04:47 AM
If you apply heat (soldering iron) to the stuck allen bolt, it should loosen up for you. they use Red locktite on them and you loosen red locktite by applying heat. Don't get it overly hot as you'll damage the magnets. re-apply heat until it moves. also buy another allen wrench. It's a metric size so make sure your using metric allens not english as they will strip the nut or wrench.
Sears sells some good quality Allen wrenches, both metric and normal.
Don't get the "ball end" type.
As Constant crash said, a little heat can loosen the set screw.
While you are heating the set screw with the point of your Iron, hold the outer housing of the motor in your free hand.
If it gets too hot to hold, stop heating it or you'll have magnet problems.
Off hand I don't remember if there was one or two set screws.
11-29-2009, 12:04 AM
if there is two there they both hold the shaft. Both must be loosened
Here's an update for anyone replacing shafts in these motors....thanks for the tip that the hex screws are metric --- and, Rider's Hobby, Ann Arbor, Ypsi, told me to use acetone to soften the Loctite. Two came out fine, one in the rear and one in the front. The other in the front had rounded using the wrong wrench and had to be drilled out. The shaft had to be punched out.
The new shaft went in easily until that spot and that had to be tapped into place making sure the flat sections were lined up for the hex screws. Used the red Loctite. That means only one screw in the front unless I go to more drastic measures using a sheet metal screw if they even make them that small for the second.
When the plane is repaired I plan to give it a try.
One further thought; the Power 15 is a bit much for the Apprentice so it was completely my fault pulling out of a straight dive on a dime which ripped the wing off rubber bands and all. Staying away from those extremes and it should be ok again.
Thanks for the tips....
11-29-2009, 04:58 AM
Glad you got it all sorted out. Good info on the Acetone, didn't know that.:)
vBulletin® v3.8.3, Copyright ©2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.