PDA

View Full Version : Good 1st WWI Plane

79CJ
11-23-2009, 06:50 PM
I have been lurking around here for a while now after getting my SuperCub and learning to fly. I am now interested in moving up to something nicer and better and I would like to get a WWI model. I really like the looks and size of all the GP birds, and would like something in that size. I know they're balsa and not foam, so repairs are more likely and difficult. I grew up building and flying Gillows and Comet kits with my Dad and flying control line, so I'm no newbie to crashes and I'm not afraid of repairs.

My main concerns are that my knowledge of RC and electronics are very limited. I know tower hobbies has all the needed equipment for the GP's listed, but the prices are a bit steep for my budget once you add it all up. I know there are people that have gotten the electronics/ radio's/ batterys elsewhere for less, so I'd really like some guidance for that route.

Also, any suggestions for other models in that size range would be great too. I'm looking for ARFs mainly, I don't really have the space right now for builds. I just finished a P-47 kit, it was a long build having to set everything out on the kitchen table and then clean it all up again every time I wanted to work on it. I think my girlfriend was a bit tired of it too...

This seems like a good forum with many helpful people. Glad to finally join in.

degreen60
11-23-2009, 07:36 PM
I know tower hobbies has all the needed equipment for the GP's listed, but the prices are a bit steep for my budget once you add it all up. I know there are people that have gotten the electronics/ radio's/ batterys elsewhere for less, so I'd really like some guidance for that route.

If all you have flown is a trainer I would not recommend one of the GP planes as the next step. I have 2 planes with ailerons, one is the GP SE5A, and I put both of these planes into trees and ground learning how to fly with ailerons. A good second plane would be the GWS Tiger Moth or one of the Eflite WW1 planes.

I get my motors here.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp

ESC, batteries, and charger here. This place has free shipping.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7621

You can check both places for servos. Both of these places can be slow shipping.
Do not place order from Hobbycity if out of stock on one item, they hold the whole order waiting on that item.
I got a bad ESC from Dealextreme, email them, got an email telling me to keep the bad one and a replacement was on the way. Can't beat that.

7car7
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I pretty much think DG is right on. I love the Tiger Moth from GWS. Pretty easy to repair, and it flys slow.

Not sure of your aileron experience, or if you're just wanting 3 channel.

If you really want 4 channel, and if you're set on a GP plane, I'd say the SE5a is your best bet. Most wing area for it's size from that line.

I pretty much taught my self to fly aileron on that plane, (third really, but the first 2 were not really successful), and it was really a very docile plane compared to the first 2 aileron planes I had. But, Like DG said, there's a high chance you'll slam it in if new to 4 channel.

79CJ
11-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

Of the e-flite planes, I think the N.17 is the best looking, plus there are some good threads on here for it. The Electrifly Pup foamie looks like a good one too. I like the British planes, they just didn't paint them up very cool.

degreen - do you have trouble flying you Neiuport in the wind?

degreen60
11-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

Of the e-flite planes, I think the N.17 is the best looking, plus there are some good threads on here for it. The Electrifly Pup foamie looks like a good one too. I like the British planes, they just didn't paint them up very cool.

degreen - do you have trouble flying you Neiuport in the wind?

I have not tried flying either one of my Neiuports in anything but a slight breeze and they bounce around in that. I try to fly them in the morning or evening. The only WW1 foam plane I fly in a wind is a scratch built Sopwith Tripe. For some reason it handles the wind and is still a floater. You just have to hunt to find a cool paint scheme for the British planes. I changed my SE5A to the US 25th. One of my Nieuports is Capt Harry Gwynne's flying fish. My Tripe has a large red and white T shape that goes all around the green fuselage and also has a red heart on the tail. I am now making a Bristol M1C that is painted red, white, and blue checked, like the flying fish it was a training plane. Go here and you can find all kinds of color schemes. http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/117/9/0

BradT
11-23-2009, 10:21 PM
The GP SE5a is an excellent flyer, BUT --- the 4 ailerons are extremely effective, hence the caution from dgreen and 7car7. I'd been flying ailerons for 10 years when I got my SE5a, and the first take off was very squirrely, to say the least, though I managed to avoid crashing it. I reduced the throws, added about 30% expo, and this became a delightful model to fly. The GWS Tigermoth 400 is a nice flying model to learn 4 ch. flying, and is great to fly with floats, as well. In the Electrifly line, I only have the Jenny, which is a superb flyer on no wind days, and I think the Pup would also be very nice, as every model of a Pup that I've flown has been great. I currently fly the Balsa USA 1/6 Pup, grossly overpowered at over 1000W, but throttled back, it really looks the part of a WWI scout.

The HobbyCity motors, escs, and lipos are very good value, and would get the GP models in the air at the best price.If you don't use the recommended GP motor, you have to do a mod to the firewall, but it's a very easy change to make, from a 3 bolt to a 4 bolt mount pattern.

Brad.

dbcisco
11-24-2009, 02:23 AM
Ditto on the TG and E-flites. Foam is much more forgiving that balsa and ailerons are more difficult to learn than elevator & rudder with dihedral. After the foamie is "retired" pull the electronics for another plane to cut costs.

degreen60
11-24-2009, 03:17 AM
After the foamie is "retired" pull the electronics for another plane to cut costs.

I never retire my WW1 foamies, I just rebuild and paint with a differant scheme. Then when I want quiet easy flying I grab one and watch it float by.

tiger moth
11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi All,

Since someone mentioned a Tiger Moth I thought I would mention an ARF from nitroplanes that several of us have flown and been VERY happy with. Very good especially for the money (since cost is a concern). Here is the WF thread if interested:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33752&highlight=tiger+moth

I'll leave it at that. Sorry to interrupt :silly:

dbcisco
11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Wow! What a price reduction. Too bad they are sold out. I wonder if they are going to restock or whether the sale was a close-out.

tiger moth
11-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Wow! What a price reduction. Too bad they are sold out. I wonder if they are going to restock or whether the sale was a close-out.

Looks like the Yellow is sold out. The silver one is still available:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/timo32bielar.html

You can also find what appears to be the same kit on ebay. Just search for Electric Tiger Moth. Here;s an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiger-Moth-32-Electric-R-C-RC-Airplane-Plane-ARF-Kit_W0QQitemZ280427286821QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Vehicles?hash=item414ac4d125#ht_8879wt_970

Enjoy

dbcisco
11-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I wonder what the shipping is. Nitroplanes used to have high S&H.

7car7
11-24-2009, 04:32 PM
BradT reminded me of something when he mentioned 30% expo. If you don't have a radio that does mixing, I'd highly recomend getting one if you can.

I've programmed all my planes to have some rudder mixed in when using ailerons. Makes a HUGE difference in handling for these types of planes. Purists will just mix by hand, using the left thumb. That's great, and if you can, it's probably best, but it's really nice to have that auto mixing for when you get in a jamb, as in getting too close to a tree or something. You can always turn it off with a switch.

gramps2361
11-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I picked mine up on ebay from this place very happy with the plane and have 3 flights on it now. This is the link to the ebay store there is one up for auction now shipping is 29. plus change I got mine for 19.50 plus the shipping cost. Bid smart and get it cheap.http://stores.ebay.com/Best-Hobbies

dbcisco
11-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I hate the ebay sellers who pad the shipping charge. Ebay is cracking down on them big time because they don't get a commission on S&H

gramps2361
11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
That's why I bid on three different ones I got mine for 19.50 the shipping is crazy what they charge this is to cover low bidders like me to cover there profit. I had one seller cancel a plane I was the only bidder for a p-38 5hrs left and 1.99 bid shipping was 29.50 this was a 56" wingspan p-38. Think they would of lost money on that sale I was a little ticked off when the sale was canceled.

dbcisco
11-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Part of the idea of an auction is that you may loose money or make a profit. Sadly ebay has become little more than a store.

WWI Ace
11-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah I agree about the Ebay thing!! Sometimes you can buy an item from its own website cheaper than you can get it on Ebay. Sometimes I think they bid up their own stuff to sell it for more!! Steve

gramps2361
11-26-2009, 04:34 PM
I like following certain items up for bid, some I have bid on I don't know what people are thinking when the bid goes over the cost of the kit, plane,ect. when like you mentioned you can get it cheaper on another website. I to have often wondered if they don't bid up the price through a buddy or a computer with a different IP addres and name just to get the price up.

79CJ
12-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks again for the advice from everyone.

It is too bad the selection of WWI planes is so limited. There are tons of WWII foamies out there that are cheap and look good. I know the Electrifly planes are a bit beyond my skill level, but having to wait for no wind isn't that desireable either. No to mention a lot of the foam planes look like toys.

Hobbycity has some really, really cheap 2.4Ghz radios, has anyone ever used one and been satisfied? Just like their other stuff, the price can't be beat, but I'm a little worried about quality. It is a 6ch job with mixing and no matter what plane I end up getting I'll need a radio.

dbcisco
12-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I am not concerned about the quality of Chinese imports since much of the brand name stuff is actually made in the same electronics factories in Shenzhen. I am more concerned about their legality since most of them are not FCC certified. What that means is that if you have an accident with one the insurance may not cover it, AMA fields are not supposed to allow the use of non FCC certified equipment and if you interefere with anyone's phone or wireless router and the FCC investigates they will confiscate your radio permanently.

WWI Ace
12-04-2009, 02:36 AM
79CJ if your worried about FCC regulations or even customer support check out the 4 and 6 channel 2.4 radios on the www.bphobbies.com (http://www.bphobbies.com) site. They are FCC approved, not much more expensive and if you have a problem this company is in New Jersey so you can get support easier. Just a thought. Steve

7car7
12-04-2009, 04:18 PM
... I know the Electrifly planes are a bit beyond my skill level, but having to wait for no wind isn't that desireable either. No to mention a lot of the foam planes look like toys.....

While it's not a WWI plane, I really can't stress enough how great of a plane the GWS Pico Tiger Moth is. My Tiger Moth is the lightest plane I have, (equal to my Jenny I seem to recal), but it is the one I've been most comfortable in the highest amount of wind.

My T.M. is a little bit heavier than some. It has the larger brushed motor in, not the stock tiny "Indoor Power System" or "IPS" motor. Mine is the brushed 350 EPS motor. Over all, mine is about 2 ounces heavier than most Tiger Moths, weighing in at 10 ounces. The swept wings, and the dihedral add up to a very manuverable and stable plane. Two aspects that aren't always paired together in a plane. The larger motor lets it drive into the wind, and the extra ounces give it some more presence to keep from being blown away.

SO, if you're not against gluing up a foam fuse, and gluing on interplane and cabane struts, then this is a great 1st plane. If it's always windy, I'd go with the larger motor. If you can wait for no wind, then go with a smaller motor, and keep it around 8oz. The lighter the better, because light planes don't have as much mass to break themselves with.