PDA

View Full Version : The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

groundrushesup
12-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Welcome to the Texas Hill Country Watthead's Thread, a place where folks in the area can assemble and discuss whatever might be happening in our area, where we like to fly, who we like to fly with, and anything and everything else about e-Flight in Central Texas.

Now, I don't claim to be any sort of ambassador for the region - and there are plenty of people who fly around here - in fact, the AMA District VIII website (http://www.ama-dist-8.org/) lists no fewer than 20 active clubs within a 100-mile radius of my hometown, Boerne, Texas. Yes, only some of these folks are electric pilots, and even fewer spend much time on the intart00bs but that's okay. As we all know, both camps are growing - that of e-Flight and that of people who consider the internet a part of their daily life.

I myself spend a lot of time online. It is the nature of my job and the fact that I basically have 24/7 access to the internet that drew me to R/C forums such as RCG and WattFlyer in particular. Whenever I jump into something I tend to have a lot of questions and there's only so much the local hobby shop guy can tolerate... and at its best there really isn't any question you can ask that you won't find help with on the internet. Truly amazing is the power of collected experience.

Wow, off topic. What I am getting at is that I KNOW there are others out there. I meet them at the flying field. My goal here is to establish a meeting place and a one-stop resource spot for locals who might be interested in flying together: where, when, and how.

So, who is part of this informal club? Well for starters, Me. And I am gonna go out on a limb here and volunteer my wingman Capt Easy (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=20971). Anyone can join. Proximity is a bonus.

So if you live around here and fly electrics and especially if you have a good place to fly, by all means brag about it. And then invite us.

I thought I would start by posting our favorite flying spot and some resources - This is where on Wed, Sat or Sun. weather permitting you may find us. Hopefully we will get to a point where we post our intentions so others might meet us or ask questions about when/if, etc.

Gillespie County Fairgrounds, Fredericksburg, TX

Google Maps Overview (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Gillespie+County+Fairgrounds&ie=UTF8&hq=Gillespie+County+Fairgrounds&hnear=Boerne,+TX&ll=30.245879,-98.904161&spn=0.013699,0.027874&t=h&z=16)

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=114831&stc=1&d=1259822223

Gillespie County Fairgrounds Schedule 2009 - When NOT to Fly (http://www.gillespiefair.com/schedule.htm)

Some pics of the Field below. I plan to post a selection of the videos we've taken at this field too - the ones that didn't make You Tube as features.

Thanks. Please don't hesitate to post, we wanna make the most out of this thread!

Josh (aka GRU)

Capt Easy
12-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Congratulations on a initiating such a great idea here GRU. Excellent intro too, especially the photos of our hallowed flying field.....

Angler High has returned to us from the Mid East just recently and I'm sure he'll be interested in joining us as well. In fact he may be driving down this weekend with his wife. If the wx is good enough GRU, the Angler and myself will all be flying or just catching up following his nearly year's absence.

So, much to look forward to here in the Hill Country and not just Christmas shopping...... unless of course.........it might involve something with wings on it.

Ho-Ho-Ho, keep yer fingers away from the propeller kid....

ce sends

Angler-Hi
12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Wow! Great idea Josh! I'm definitely subscribed! I haven't had the time to even get my batts charged up, but I'm hoping to do that Friday sometime, just in case the weather lets me out to play. I think it's time to get some new batts ordered as well.

I want to get my P-51 built already. Been two years and still haven't done anything with her except get two servos installed, lol. Just ordered three different sized cage motor mounts because I don't know which one I'll need for the motor I have yet to decide to go with, lol. I have the servos, servo extensions, and even a 60A Pentium ESC. I'm wanting to go 80A on her along with a Rx battery. Don't want anything taking away from my flying clock with this one.

I was even thinking about sticking with .60 sized birds from now on...the bigger the better right, lol? Anyways, I'll start a thread on the build as soon as I get everything in that I need. LOVIN THIS THREAD GUYS!!!!

Mike

groundrushesup
12-03-2009, 02:45 PM
So... 70% chance for Snow on Friday here... Should be interesting. Saturday looks like a winner though. Man its been almost a month since I've been able to fly! This must not continue.

Capt Easy
12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm building skis for the Gee Bee.

donaldtay
12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi All,
I fly electrics in Austin mostly at Zilker park. The park is 5 minutes from my house- so I can just run down there for a short time easily. The north side of Zilker called the "great Lawn" was recently renovated and re-soded. I love to fly there with the backdrop of downtown so close. However it does have a lot of other people there walking dogs, pick up soccer games and the like. Its best on weekdays or early in the day on the weekends

I have a 60 inch wing and a radian sailplane that i fly right now and i am work ing on several other projects. I'm sort of new to the hobby, having taken it up last year,but really enjoy it.

I will ck this thread from time to time to keep informed about what others are doing in Cen. Tx. Good idea.

Don

groundrushesup
12-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Hey Donald. Thanks for the interest!

Capt. Easy and I spent some time up in Austin this past season - both at the ARCA field for their Big Bird and War Bird events, and with the Hill Country Aeromodelers and their All-Electric Fun-Fly.

We didn't fly at Zilker, but rather at the HCAM field over on Slaughter Ln. It was a good time, but we tried going back there once to fly and got a bit of the stink-eye from the locals so we bagged it.

Always looking for new locales... And people to fly with that don't bring their hang-ups :rolleyes:

Josh

park
12-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm 15 miles south of Austin off hwy 183. I've been flying off the road with my Apprentice and a MM P-38. The road is 22 ft wide with obstructions, so I'm going to try a schoolyard in Lockhart that looks good for the P-38. We should have good conditions Sat morning but cold!

park
12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm 15 miles south of Austin off hwy 183. I've been flying off the road in front of my house with my Apprentice and a MM P-38. The road is 22 ft wide with obstructions, so I'm going to try a schoolyard in Lockhart that looks good for the P-38. We should have good conditions Saturday morning but cold!

groundrushesup
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm 15 miles south of Austin off hwy 183. I've been flying off the road in front of my house with my Apprentice and a MM P-38. The road is 22 ft wide with obstructions, so I'm going to try a schoolyard in Lockhart that looks good for the P-38. We should have good conditions Saturday morning but cold!

Cold for sure! I'm gonna have to figure out soem way to keep my LiPos toasty - maybe a couple of those break and shake handwarmers?

I've already got a wonky truck Battery I need to replace... Hrmm, the things we go through to fly. :rolleyes:

donaldtay
12-03-2009, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=groundrushesup;667551]Hey Donald. Thanks for the interest!

Capt. Easy and I spent some time up in Austin this past season - both at the ARCA field for their Big Bird and War Bird events, and with the Hill Country Aeromodelers and their All-Electric Fun-Fly.

Yea, I went to the electric fun fly to observe. I did not join the club because its just too convenient for me to go down to the park. Seemed like a bunch of nice guys in the Hill Country Aeromodelers but they do have a lot of rules. I might join someday but for now i like the flexibility of flying on a whim.

Capt Easy
12-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Tally Ho you guys thanks for stopping by. I think this will be an interesting means of keeping in touch , especially those of us in the more rural areas.
If you ever visit FBG give us a heads up, maybe we can do some flying.
Dick

max2112
12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
:sad:
Guys I really wish that I could be an active member in the club!
Can I lurk in here and wish I was back in Texas?

I'm afraid all I have to offer is dry sarcasm and mediocre RC advice.

btw Josh: EXCELLENT subliminal message!
Texas Hill Country, huh?
Is the club theme song from the Doobie Bro.s?:p>

JK brother man!:D I miss you guys.

Angler-Hi
12-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Well, gonna probably have to work on Saturday guys. It's not written in stone yet. Might have to do it to maintain our deadline for our original leave date...18th of December. I won't have time to fly on Sunday...supposed to hit the lake with a few buddies for some winter bass fishing. I may not be able to hook up with yall until next weekend or anytime after the 18th. I'll keep my fingers crossed though for Saturday.

Mike

groundrushesup
12-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Well, gonna probably have to work on Saturday guys. It's not written in stone yet. Might have to do it to maintain our deadline for our original leave date...18th of December. I won't have time to fly on Sunday...supposed to hit the lake with a few buddies for some winter bass fishing. I may not be able to hook up with yall until next weekend or anytime after the 18th. I'll keep my fingers crossed though for Saturday.

Mike

No worries, Mike. I hear ya. hopefully Capt Easy and I will still get together and have a few flights. I need to shake out some bugs in my 2 3D birds anyways.

What say you Capt. We still on?

Angler-Hi
12-03-2009, 08:44 PM
When and where do you guys plan on meeting? Time??

groundrushesup
12-03-2009, 08:46 PM
:sad:
Guys I really wish that I could be an active member in the club!
Can I lurk in here and wish I was back in Texas?

I'm afraid all I have to offer is dry sarcasm and mediocre RC advice.

btw Josh: EXCELLENT subliminal message!
Texas Hill Country, huh?
Is the club theme song from the Doobie Bro.s?:p>

JK brother man!:D I miss you guys.

Omg the last stooge has arrived! LOL Man you already are a founding member... you are grandfathered in from the Deutschland branch.

Yeah this is not formal by any means, its our own little corner. I would like to know what you have been doing over there in the land of Graupner and Multiplex though...

:p>

groundrushesup
12-03-2009, 08:49 PM
When and where do you guys plan on meeting? Time??

Well we would probably do our normal thing at the Fairgrounds when I show up around noon or 1pm and we fly until Sunset - but as it will likely be pretty cold I dunno.

Angler-Hi
12-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Well we would probably do our normal thing at the Fairgrounds when I show up around noon or 1pm and we fly until Sunset - but as it will likely be pretty cold I dunno.

OK...I'll do my best to make it. I'll give Dick a call tomorrow and let you guys know if I have to work on Sat or not. Cold or not...if I'm not working, I'll be there!!

groundrushesup
12-04-2009, 02:17 AM
I was looking through my phone's camera storage (bored at work, again) and I came across these shots from the last time I spiffed up my garage.

-> Quite the boneyard, huh? lol
-> a couple of shots of the Shoestring unboxed.
-> Me and Capt. Easy's Spread at the HCAM Electrci Fun-Fly

Okay time to clean out the SD card lol

Angler-Hi
12-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Nice pics Josh, lol. What bird is that on Dick's side...the one to the far right? Never seen that one before.

Capt Easy
12-04-2009, 04:15 AM
Oh, that old thing? That's a surprise I was going to show you and maybe maiden if the time is right. It's a Black Horse Models Wedell Williams Gilmore Red Lion. Real handsome machine and real heavy - with really spindely, weak gear.
I'd like to wait till when the wx is better and maybe you and Josh can be there for moral support.

Capt Easy
12-04-2009, 04:20 AM
Hey how about that LTR in this months AMA magazine? :$

Capt Easy
12-04-2009, 04:27 AM
I was looking through my phone's camera storage (bored at work, again) and I came across these shots from the last time I spiffed up my garage.

Okay time to clean out the SD card lol

I'm curious if the contents of that basket in the first pic is being recycled...

groundrushesup
12-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Nice pics Josh, lol. What bird is that on Dick's side...the one to the far right? Never seen that one before.

If you mean th other far right - the blue ans silver model - that's my 3DHS Sukhoi SU-26. Man its a sweet plane, but very unforgiving - you have to fly about three maneuvers ahead of it when doing aerobatics - its like a knife in the air.

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/1/8/4/9/9/4/a1844787-180-SU26_49_01.jpg?d=1209656815

Mine's setup for about 650 Watts with a 4S and a 12x6 APCe. I didn't go for the bawdy Red Bull decals but it is still a sharp lookin' plane - and currently my baby. :$

groundrushesup
12-04-2009, 05:17 AM

I'm curious if the contents of that basket in the first pic is being recycled...

Dick - on a long enough time line, everything is recycled lol

Capt Easy
12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately or fortunately you are correct.I'm one of those hardheads that hate to throw anything away and I'd rather spend the money on another airplane than the therapy..

I'm still interested in the Gamma project and wanted to throw this possibilty at you. I'll call them today and find out some more details. If it sounds good then I'll see about locating a lazer cutter.

They offer several scale options including a 72" version...

http://www.clevelandairline.com/ASP/PRODUCT.asphttp://www.clevelandairline.com/CM/images/PHOTOs/CD260.jpg

groundrushesup
12-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Unfortunately or fortunately you are correct.I'm one of those hardheads that hate to throw anything away and I'd rather spend the money on another airplane than the therapy..

I'm still interested in the Gamma project and wanted to throw this possibilty at you. I'll call them today and find out some more details. If it sounds good then I'll see about locating a lazer cutter.

They offer several scale options including a 72" version...

http://www.clevelandairline.com/ASP/PRODUCT.asphttp://www.clevelandairline.com/CM/images/PHOTOs/CD260.jpg

Dick,

check out the mailer tube - that's where I got the plans, mate - 72" lol :D

Capt Easy
12-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh, okay....yeah, I knew that. Well, shoot a mile.
Like we mentioned over the phone, they look a bit difficult....but let's study the plans when we get together next mate, and come up with a decision.
I really, really like the lines on this airplane but unless we can find some easier plans maybe we better consider something else. Maxford's ARF?

groundrushesup
12-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh, okay....yeah, I knew that. Well, shoot a mile.
Like we mentioned over the phone, they look a bit difficult....but let's study the plans when we get together next mate, and come up with a decision.
I really, really like the lines on this airplane but unless we can find some easier plans maybe we better consider something else. Maxford's ARF?

What about the LRT? that one looks sharp.

hey did you get any appreciable snow today?

Capt Easy
12-05-2009, 03:11 AM
You mean LTR....Laird Turner Racer. I assume you mean the one featured in this months issue pf AMA mag.... I'm up for that.

No snow, none, we got gipped.

I think flying tomorrow will be challenging - winds forcast 10-20 ....what say you?

Mike - if you're following here, and you're working this weekend , let's plan on the following weekend wx permitting. Wx looks unpleasant this Saturday anyway.

...and John, if you're following, we'll have a slot reserved for you till you get back wx or no wx...

Angler-Hi
12-05-2009, 03:45 AM
Well it got put out that we're off tomorrow, but I'll plan for next weekend.

Capt Easy
12-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Well it got put out that we're off tomorrow, but I'll plan for next weekend.

Mike,
Hope your not too disappointed but hopefully we can all get together next week.
Forecast winds are 20mph here tomorrow.
Best

Angler-Hi
12-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Not disappointed man. I'll plan for next weekend friend.

Capt Easy
12-06-2009, 03:01 AM
Josh - since my current printer is most disagreeable to anything I ask it to do, can print for me the attatched Spitfire panel?
If possible please arrange it to fit as closely as you can into a 2 3/4" wide x 1 1/2" high.

Also, do you have a scroll or band saw? I can't remember. No, I don't need you to cut the Spit panel. I have that done. Mike has lost his wing joiner for his P-51 and may need to have one cut from some ply.

Updated and improved wind forecast tomorrow and it's looking much better for flying ....

groundrushesup
12-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Josh - since my current printer is most disagreeable to anything I ask it to do, can print for me the attatched Spitfire panel?
If possible please arrange it to fit as closely as you can into a 2 3/4" wide x 1 1/2" high.

Also, do you have a scroll or band saw? I can't remember. No, I don't need you to cut the Spit panel. I have that done. Mike has lost his wing joiner for his P-51 and may need to have one cut from some ply.

Updated and improved wind forecast tomorrow and it's looking much better for flying ....

Scroll saw, but I am sans blades at the moment. Meant to grab some at the Home Depoo yesterday but I forgot. And I have no ply.

As for the panel I charge by the pixel.

TTYL
BDtc

EDIT: Done. Came out pretty good at 2.75x1.681 @ 300DPI. I did it on a piece of the white-backed Waterslide decal paper as thats all that I had that was better than standard printer stock. Its a buck a sheet so bring a dollar lol

groundrushesup
12-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Hey Dick did I give you that SD card back last time I saw you? I can't remember.

I'm working on the shoestring tonight, hope to post some pics of the progress later.

Capt Easy
12-06-2009, 04:28 AM
No...I think you'd forgotten it last time and I believe you said you'd bring next time we got together.

What's tomorrow looking like for flying from your viewpoint?

groundrushesup
12-06-2009, 06:25 AM
No...I think you'd forgotten it last time and I believe you said you'd bring next time we got together.

What's tomorrow looking like for flying from your viewpoint?

Yeah I have the card, I found it in my computer.

AFA Flying - Hrmm well I'm game I suppose, I thought you said you had plans so I didn't figure on it. I did charge my batteries which is a good thing but I might have to go into SA to run an errand tomorrow but not sure. I'll give you a ring around 9-10AM with the latest.

PS - Are you still planing to use the airbrush? I have a specific job I need to do with it but it can wait another week or so.

josh

groundrushesup
12-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Just some shots taken while I was completing the first few steps of the build. Mounted the Scorpion 4020-10 on the Rimfire mount. I used the long 4mm screws and the 1" spacers on the inside of the mount both to act as a sort of cantilever for the heavy motor on the face of the motor mount and to protect the shaft that sticks over an inch out the back of the motor. Works like a charm though - from firewall to spinner plate is 4 7/8" dead on balls, just like it calls for in the manual.

Some shots of the wings after servo installations - these things are huge compared to every other servo I've worked with. And the tires, they are huge. :eek:

Batteries, ESC, Servos, Rx all ready for action.

Hope to get the empennage done tomorrow night, then on to the Dual elevator and rudder setup.

josh

max2112
12-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Omg the last stooge has arrived! LOL Man you already are a founding member... you are grandfathered in from the Deutschland branch. :p>

Mike - if you're following here, and you're working this weekend , let's plan on the following weekend wx permitting. Wx looks unpleasant this Saturday anyway.

...and John, if you're following, we'll have a slot reserved for you till you get back wx or no wx...

Thanks Josh and Dick.:tc: It stinks to have such great friends and then have to move to another continent. But I am sure it's just a matter of time before we all fly together again. I promise that!

Until the I'll just have to wish everybody a great holiday season from afar.

How are things going with you, Mike? Iv'e been following along on your boat thread. I remember you talking about a plane earlier in the year - The Eratix. Did you end up getting that one? I have read some good stuff about it.
'Later you wattheads!:D
John

Angler-Hi
12-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Nice pic there John, lol. Yeah, I have the Eratix, but probably won't get to her anytime soon. I think as far as new birds, I'm gonna stick with the warbirds and EDF jets. Outside of the EDFs, I'm gonna be sticking with the.60 sized birds. I still wanna build a Corsair and a .60 sized Jug.

About to start on the Mustang today though. Need to order my batts, ESC, BEC and another Rx for my DX7. Hopefully my motor comes tomorrow.

groundrushesup
12-07-2009, 05:40 AM
Got a little bit more done today - dry fit the wings and the horizontal stab - had to step back and marvel at how huge this thing really is! The fuse is all fiberglass and really is a marvelous piece of craftsmanship - and the turtledeck fits like a glove with the pilot and canopy already in place.

Managed to break my last 3/32 bit last night so I didn't fit the rudder and elevator servos - hope to get to that Wed. The split elevator setup should be a treat - but at least the rudder isn't pull-pull.

I'm still mulling over the BEC vs. 6V Rx pack - this system seems to beg for 6V (the servos are all designed for it) and I want all the redundancy I can have. ???? Still might go with the UBEC, not sure.

The CAP is sitting around waiting for a new ESC. I guess I'll use the down time to put the decals on it.

Sukhoi has new wing servos and is ready to fly - not nearly as impressive without its wings on hehe

Anyhoo, a few pics...

PS - Dick - sorry about duffing out on you today sir - ended up having to run into SA for an errand and wasn't back until 3pm so the day was shot. Hoping for Wednesday though. I have the instrument panel printouts in my toolbox already. :D

Angler-Hi
12-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Looks awesome Josh!

Angler-Hi
12-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey Josh, is that an adjustable motor mount you have on your Shoestring? If so, where did you get it? I bought a cage mount for the P-51, but think those adjustable motor mounts might make for a better fit. Thanks.

Mike

Angler-Hi
12-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Just got my P-51 motor in the mail today...yep, just a hair shy of being too big for the cage mount I bought. Gonna need a different motor mount, lol.

groundrushesup
12-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey Josh, is that an adjustable motor mount you have on your Shoestring? If so, where did you get it? I bought a cage mount for the P-51, but think those adjustable motor mounts might make for a better fit. Thanks.

Mike

Mike,

I got a few bucks off this RimFire mount (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCL4&P=M) when I ordered the Shoestring but it turns out it is for motors with a 19mm mounting pattern rather than the Scorpion's 25mm, so I had to do some drilling.

I tried to look up the mounting pattern for the Welgards but couldn't find it. ????

Angler-Hi
12-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks anyways Josh. I'll go and check the LHS and see what I can find. I appreciate it friend.

Mike

groundrushesup
12-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks anyways Josh. I'll go and check the LHS and see what I can find. I appreciate it friend.

Mike

LOL they probably have the RimFire :p> If the Welgard has 19mm mounts it will work like a charm...

Angler-Hi
12-07-2009, 09:36 PM
LOL they probably have the RimFire :p> If the Welgard has 19mm mounts it will work like a charm...

Can't find the specs for the mount man. I have no idea what it is 19mm etc. I can measure it I guess.

groundrushesup
12-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Can't find the specs for the mount man. I have no idea what it is 19mm etc. I can measure it I guess.

Hrmm maybe ask Bill how he mounted his?

Angler-Hi
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Well I just tried to call Grayson Hobby. I e-mailed them like their message said, so hopefully I'll get some info as to whether or not I received the correct motor and the mounting specs for her.

Capt Easy
12-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Josh -
Sorry you couldn't make it but understandable. We had a few war birds arrive yesterday in prep for th Dec 7 aniversary. Met a real nice younger pilot that flew in a restored SNJ from Uvalde (the blue one). I was flying at the fairgrounds when he came over and introduced himself and mentioned he and his dad have a restoration facility there and are working on three Wildcats. He's been building RC since he was twelve and has been flying glow, gas and electric but is more inclined toward electric now. Really nice guy and very knowledgable.
The Shoestring is looking great and I know you must be excited about putting it together. I have a feeling it's going to be a great flyer.
Thanks for printing that instrument panel out for me. I made a fairly close scale panel for the Spit and that'lll be the finishing touch for the cockpit.
Pics are from yesterday last three this morning....no flying due to low ceiling and vis.

Angler-Hi
12-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Wow! Nice pics Dick! Gearge Bush, huh? That must have been cool.

Capt Easy
12-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks Mike, yeh, he said to say hello wanted to know if we had a TBM in the hanger...I assured him just as soon as you finished your P-51.

Angler-Hi
12-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks Mike, yeh, he said to say hello wanted to know if we had a TBM in the hanger...I assured him just as soon as you finished your P-51.

LOL...nice!

Angler-Hi
12-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Well...so much for building the P-51. As a matter of fact, she probably never WILL get built. I'm going to scrap the whole kit and cut my losses. I already bought the motor for this thing and now have nothing to put it in. Guess I have to buy something else to put it in.

I'm missing the retracts...well, the landing gear all together...the wing joiner (which is too easy of a fix). I'm also missing ALL the control rods and even the wheel molds that fit in the wing. So now, even if I had the retracts or landing gear, there would be a huge hole in the wing with no covering. I'm done!!

Dick...Josh...if you guys want her let me know. I'll bring it the next time we meet up. If not, I don't blame you. I've been craving the chance to jump back in the hobby after being absent for so long...but it's been nothing but a headache since. Just one misfortune after another. Good winds to yall.

Capt Easy
12-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Holy flying schmutz Sarge, why is so much missing - did you buy it fromm an individual somewhere? Bring it with you when we get together and between the three of us we can assess the situatuion and come up with a P-51 to fly. If wx is good this coming weekend maybe we can plan on your coming here. Rose too if she wants. Let me know.
Josh and I flew this afternoon. Despite the cold air it was still pretty good. He'll be posting some stills later on.

groundrushesup
12-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Well...so much for building the P-51. As a matter of fact, she probably never WILL get built. I'm going to scrap the whole kit and cut my losses. I already bought the motor for this thing and now have nothing to put it in. Guess I have to buy something else to put it in.

I'm missing the retracts...well, the landing gear all together...the wing joiner (which is too easy of a fix). I'm also missing ALL the control rods and even the wheel molds that fit in the wing. So now, even if I had the retracts or landing gear, there would be a huge hole in the wing with no covering. I'm done!!

Dick...Josh...if you guys want her let me know. I'll bring it the next time we meet up. If not, I don't blame you. I've been craving the chance to jump back in the hobby after being absent for so long...but it's been nothing but a headache since. Just one misfortune after another. Good winds to yall.

Oh dear - don't tell me you are giving up on flying man! Someone get this guy a Tx STAT! Lemme guess its the bass boat lol its calling to you like a Siren of old... Miiiike....Miiiike.... spend your money on meeeeee.... lol :p>

Come down on the weekend man and you can fly all of my planes. As for the P-51 is it the Hangar 9 Kit? if so, those parts cant be too hard to come by.

Angler-Hi
12-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Thanks guys. I bought the kit two years ago and it was only opened once. I went to pull it out today to get started on the build and noticed that the retracts and wheel molds were gone. I was also missing the control rods. I wasn't too worried about control rods or the wing joiner...too easy. But the retracts and stock landing gear was another story. Can't find parts like these for this particular model...of course I could have taken the chance of ordering the stuff from a similar model, but didn't want to buy it and it not work.

I'm not giving up the hobby...as a matter of fact, I have my Txs on the chargers right now. BTW, I won't be picking up my boat until after I come back off of leave...a deal my wife and I made. She's afraid that if I get my boat before then, that I'd be on the lake all the time and not with her. Fair enough I guess.

I'm gonna buy another .60 sized warbird soon. Probably going to go with the Corsair from Hangar 9. I also want their P-47. If I do go with one of those...if not both, lol...I'm gonna power them with the Monster 60 and fly them on 6s 4000mah (2x3s4000mah). I WILL get a .60 sized warbird built this winter!!

groundrushesup
12-10-2009, 05:10 AM
***AFTER ACTION REPORT***

Another good day of flyin'! Winds were 10-15mph for the best part of the session and temps were in the mid 40's, but we held out.

I managed to truck my Sukhoi all the way to the field again only to find it had a dead servo in the wing again... which basically means I replaced a dead servo with a dead servo. Boy am I bright. :roll:

My Corsair is doing well though it might have a bad bearing - sounds like a gasser for some reason but flies just fine. I had a bent prop adapter but Dick was kind enough to swap one out with me from his new rcslot.com (http://www.rcslot.com) stash.

My Trojan was flying great as ever, speedy loops and rolls, inverted, knife edge; little did it know it was on its ultimate voyage. Large telephone poles and Z-Foam did battle and the lumber came out victorious. Vaya con Dios, Numero Siete. You served well. The pilot, who miraculously survived the ordeal, could not be reached for comment vis. a rebuild. :rolleyes:

Capt Easy flew his Corsair, a few shots in there.

We both flew our Gee Bees - some good shots of both despite what Dick thinks of my photography... :p> Mine is the one without pants on - hey, if its worth doing, its worth doing sans pants - sort of a motto of mine.

AND I got some good shots of the real TBM Avenger taking to the sky.

Well thanks to the Trojan's timely demise I now have an ESC for the Cap 232, so I hope to get that AND my Sukhoi in the air this weekend. Its GOTTA be warmer than it was today.Cheers.

Breaking Contact,
Josh aka GRU

max2112
12-10-2009, 06:19 AM
... :p> Mine is the one without pants on - hey, if its worth doing, its worth doing sans pants
Ouch, GRU!! Sorry to read about the Trojan's untimely demise.

-Nice motto, btw!:D

Mike,
Sorry to read about the mustang troubles brotherman. Maybe you could put up a 4sale ad down at the LHS?
Best of luck partner.

Josh and Dick,
Your pictures are GREAT!! That looked like a great day of flying. I wish I could have been there.

John

Capt Easy
12-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Another excellent report GRU. Your photography isn't really that bad the pics of the TBM were especially good. I was hoping you'd lie and say it was one of ours that we'd scratch built and get everybody all unwrapped. I had a good time despite the temp.

The T-28 accident was a bit unfortunate but GRU's attitude about it should serve as an inspiration. He was a true sportsman. And no matter what anybody says, Pylon Racing between telephone poles isn't that easy. On the other hand, the idea of flying his Gee Bee without any pants is'nt something anyone really needs to know that much more about. Or maybe they do. Come to Frederiecksburg and see for yourself girls.

This weekend is our next scheduled flying adventure. Maybe the Angler will be there to supervise. It's been a while. We need a little guidence anyway.

Keep your RPM's up and don't git the motor in yer eye.

ce ak

Capt Easy
12-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Hey John...thanks, it won't be long. Your space is
reserved on the flight line.
Are able to fly at all there?

Angler-Hi
12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Looks like you guys had some fun. Hey John...I'm just gonna give it away. Too much hassle trying to sell it. Besides, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling something I wouldn't try and build myself. "Donating" her is a different story, lol.

Dick and Josh....let me know when you guys are gonna try and hook up again. I'll be fishing Sunday, lol.

groundrushesup
12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Fredericksburg, Texas
Saturday, Dec. 12th 2009

http://icons.wxug.com/i/c/google/partlycloudy.gif

67 | 43

Saturday
Mostly cloudy. Not as cool. Highs in the lower 60s. North winds 5 mph shifting to the south in the afternoon.

Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy before midnight then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

__________________________________________________ ________

Saturday looks like a big winna.

Josh

Capt Easy
12-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Saturday is on my schedule oddly enough....you must be sikick.
Cruqasnched the F4U this morning on take off practicing xwind landings. Just when I thought I was dooing so well. Rebuildable but I think I might consider a new fuse. I don't know yet...
Got the HK Spitty's motor in this afternoon and some props for the Ryan. Paint this week and then the retracts follow...with any luck. It should look pretty good.

Mike - on your retract ready Hk Spit where are the retracts positioned in the up position - slightly angled or parallel with the leading edge?

max2112
12-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Hey John...thanks, it won't be long. Your space is
reserved on the flight line.
Are able to fly at all there?
Not yet, Josh.
I have been super busy with work and the move all. And now I have about a 40 minute drive to get to a field. Hopefully I'll find a closer one soon!

Looks like you guys had some fun. Hey John...I'm just gonna give it away. Too much hassle trying to sell it. Besides, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling something I wouldn't try and build myself. "Donating" her is a different story, lol.

You've got a great big heart of gold, Mike!

Dick- sorry to read about your Corsair. OT; How's the car running? Did the engine problem ever settle down?

Capt Easy
12-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey John- No big deal x wind landings are still a challenge for me. I'll get the hang of it eventually. Damage is repairable I think.
Yes sir, the car is fine now. The idle/cooling fan sensor was replaced and all is good. I'll be trading it off for a pickup in a few months and maybe get a trailer to haul these airplanes around in.

When do you rtn to the States?

Capt Easy
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
It does indeed and I'll be looking toward it...

Angler-Hi
12-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks John. I appreciate the kind words friend. YEAH, when ARE you coming home?

Dick, I'm not sure about the retracts. I haven't looked at her since I've been back. I only opened the box once to inspect her and make sure all the parts were accounted for. I'll dig her out and let you know today.

BTW, what time are you guys going to try and meet up? I have to drop Rose off at work tomorrow at 7:30 in the morning, and then I can hit the road. I also need you to PM with your cell phone number and directions to the fairgrounds...I forgot how to get there....your house I remember...I think, lol.

Capt Easy
12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks John. I appreciate the kind words friend. YEAH, when ARE you coming home?

Dick, I'm not sure about the retracts. I haven't looked at her since I've been back. I only opened the box once to inspect her and make sure all the parts were accounted for. I'll dig her out and let you know today.

BTW, what time are you guys going to try and meet up? I have to drop Rose off at work tomorrow at 7:30 in the morning, and then I can hit the road. I also need you to PM with your cell phone number and directions to the fairgrounds...I forgot how to get there....your house I remember...I think, lol.
Pm sent.....

groundrushesup
12-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Pm sent.....

So what time should we meet up, Gents?

Angler-Hi
12-11-2009, 10:35 PM
So what time should we meet up, Gents?

Whatever's good for yall. Remember I won't be there until around 10:00am. I need Dick to give me directions again to his house though, lol. I can't remember the name of the street I make a right on, when coming smack down the middle of Fredericksburg. He's supposed to call me tonight though, lol.

I'll only be bringing my P-47 and F-16 with me. I gutted the Gee Bee last night. I'm gonna go with a Park 480 and a 30A ESC...still flying on 3s. I can still fly her scale, but have plenty of power to pull out of something retarded...like a hitting light pole, lol....Love ya Josh.

groundrushesup
12-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Umm, okay so 10-11am it is? I might be a tad late as I work until 10pm tonight and we had the office Xmas party last night which I am still recovering from - good news is I left earlier than all three of my bosses so I look like the responsible one lol

I got a tip from Lucien at Innov8tive about what might be wrong with my CAP's ESC so I am gonna try and fix that tonight - and I am also gonna finally get the servos in the Sukhoi working... Pfft.

So hopefully I'll have the

Gee Bee
Corsair
Chucker 2b
Cap 232
Sukhoi

And the camera lol

Anything else I need to bring drop me a line.

Josh

Angler-Hi
12-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Umm, okay so 10-11am it is? I might be a tad late as I work until 10pm tonight and we had the office Xmas party last night which I am still recovering from - good news is I left earlier than all three of my bosses so I look like the responsible one lol

I got a tip from Lucien at Innov8tive about what might be wrong with my CAP's ESC so I am gonna try and fix that tonight - and I am also gonna finally get the servos in the Sukhoi working... Pfft.

So hopefully I'll have the

Gee Bee
Corsair
Chucker 2b
Cap 232
Sukhoi

And the camera lol

Anything else I need to bring drop me a line.

Josh

Yeah, bring a sense of humor...it's been 8 months since I've had my hands on the sticks:red:;-).

Capt Easy
12-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Gillespie County Airport/Fairgrounds/:sat/dec11/09

(1-3) Angler-Hi and his EFLT P-47 (note - his first flight following an 8 month deployment - and did a super job)
(3,4) Ben from 3DH and Adam madening Adam's new bird that I fail to remember the name of - sorry.

Groundrushesup joined the formation a short time later and should be following up with posting the bulk of the photo and video documentation of the day asap.

WX conditions weren't that perfect but the company certainly was.
John, naturally your name came up and we're looking forward to your completing the formation soon as you can. ;)

Angler-Hi
12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Dick, you gotta delete that first pic man, lol. I'm not that fat, lol.

Capt Easy
12-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Dick, you gotta delete that first pic man, lol. I'm not that fat, lol.
Your not fat you just need to fly more often. The wx looks good this morning so soon as I can get loaded up I'm heading out there....
Hope you can make it back next weekend. It's good to have you back.

groundrushesup
12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Sorry 'bout not posting these last night gents, I had some chinese food and before I knew it I was passed out on the sofa.

Anyhoo Without further ado

Here are the shots, all taken by Mr. Capt. Easy (UEM). some of my Sukhoi, some of the Hyperion CAP just before the maiden.

I'm working on the video right now, hope to have that up in a few minutes.

Here's the video all processed and music'd up lol

5m8hmbHaeDI

Josh

Angler-Hi
12-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Nice pics guys...Josh, how's your arm doing buddy? BTW, every pic you guys posted of me makes me look retarded, lol. I look like a slow guy who got to play pilot for a day, lol...No pun intended for those who have children with special needs (serious note).

groundrushesup
12-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Nice pics guys...Josh, how's your arm doing buddy? BTW, every pic you guys posted of me makes me look retarded, lol. I look like a slow guy who got to play pilot for a day, lol...No pun intended for those who have children with special needs (serious note).

The arm is fine! I poured some Robitussin on it and it cleared right up lol. I spent a moment thinking about how silly I musta looked in the 5 or 6 prop revolutions before I realized what was happening and dropped the plane - "Ow! duh... ow! ow! ow! ow! duh..." and then to have it land right-side up and try to get airborne? Man I wish Dick had been on the camera at that point, that would make the RC blooper reel for sure.

Don't feel too bad about the pics, I always come out like a seriously over-nourished dirtbag hobo... no offense to the hobos out there :p>

Dick mate, sorry I didn't make it up today, I had a project to finish before I could even think of flying and it ballooned into a trip into town for parts, etc.

Needless to say I look forward to next weekend. Mike man, get your GeeBee back together so we can swarm the field.

Josh

PS. - Did you put your bobber on your Antenna yet LOLS! ROFL muahahahaha

Capt Easy
12-14-2009, 12:51 AM
The arm is fine! I poured some Robitussin on it and it cleared right up lol. I spent a moment thinking about how silly I musta looked in the 5 or 6 prop revolutions before I realized what was happening and dropped the plane - "Ow! duh... ow! ow! ow! ow! duh..." and then to have it land right-side up and try to get airborne? Man I wish Dick had been on the camera at that point, that would make the RC blooper reel for sure.

Don't feel too bad about the pics, I always come out like a seriously over-nourished dirtbag hobo... no offense to the hobos out there :p>

Dick mate, sorry I didn't make it up today, I had a project to finish before I could even think of flying and it ballooned into a trip into town for parts, etc.

Needless to say I look forward to next weekend. Mike man, get your GeeBee back together so we can swarm the field.

Josh

PS. - Did you put your bobber on your Antenna yet LOLS! ROFL muahahahaha
Thanks for posting the pics and video. Glad to see you didn't have to amputate your arm too.
Mike - I'll try and take more flattering photos. Next time we'll schedule make-up to be standing by....(and EMS for me & Josh.)
Flew this morning around 1130 for a short time but winds were getting gusty and I retreated till later this afternonn around 1630. Both Corsairs flew and both hee-bee Gee Bees. All went well- (exchanged the tailwheel from the XF4U to the F4U-1).
I'm gioing to try and rebuild the P-47 but the shaft is severley bent so that'l have to be replaced.
Signing off, that is all...

Angler-Hi
12-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Glad to hear the arm's doing well. No, I haven't put the bobber on my antenna yet, lol.

Dick...the pics are fine man, lol. I'll do my best to make it up next weekend...shouldn't be a problem though. I need to make a wire extension on my Twister...the ESC doesn't come close to reaching the battery bay under the canopy. The ESC is in the rear of the bird...it has to be that way, no way around it. I'm gonna try something simple first...I'm gonna make a wire extension with a female Deans on one end and a male Deans on the other...I'm just gonna hook it up from the ESC to the battery leads and see if that will work without giving me issues. It'll definitely be bench tested before I finish assembling this jet. Whatta ya think?

groundrushesup
12-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Glad to hear the arm's doing well. No, I haven't put the bobber on my antenna yet, lol.

Dick...the pics are fine man, lol. I'll do my best to make it up next weekend...shouldn't be a problem though. I need to make a wire extension on my Twister...the ESC doesn't come close to reaching the battery bay under the canopy. The ESC is in the rear of the bird...it has to be that way, no way around it. I'm gonna try something simple first...I'm gonna make a wire extension with a female Deans on one end and a male Deans on the other...I'm just gonna hook it up from the ESC to the battery leads and see if that will work without giving me issues. It'll definitely be bench tested before I finish assembling this jet. Whatta ya think?

Does your ESC have capacitors on the battery end (they look like little metal cylinders in between where the black and red wires are soldered to the ESC)? If so you can probably go 8-12 inches of battery wire without risking current spikes when you throttle up. Shouldn't be a problem.

Angler-Hi
12-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Yeah, the capacitators are on the same end as the battery leads. LOL, I know what they are and what they look like, lol....silly.

So you think that the wire extension I'm wanting to make will be ok? I'm not trying to splice anything or resolder the battery leads on the ESC with a longer one...just a simple extension with Deans plug on each end.

groundrushesup
12-14-2009, 05:28 AM
Yeah, the capacitators are on the same end as the battery leads. LOL, I know what they are and what they look like, lol....silly.

So you think that the wire extension I'm wanting to make will be ok? I'm not trying to splice anything or resolder the battery leads on the ESC with a longer one...just a simple extension with Deans plug on each end.

yeah, should work.

Sorry, I am used to explaining things to Crash.

http://www.tatteredcoat.com/images/dog-tv.jpg

Strike this, I was feeling loopy

josh

Capt Easy
12-14-2009, 05:53 AM
oh, that's nice ....I do like the the dog and tv though.

okay, here's some more pics I done forgot of that handsome aviator putting his F-16 up for the first time since last Winter - and did a fine job of it too.

Angler-Hi
12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the pics Dick. Josh, I really don't have anything against the guy, except when he put his plane up as soon as Dick lost the P-47...there were people walking out in the field to retrieve it and his plane was all over the place. That's like walking down range to look at your target while there are still people firing.

Capt Easy
12-15-2009, 12:14 AM
I totally agree and that's a good analogy. Some people just don't seem to grasp the concept and it's a pita to fly with them let alone share the range with them. Common sense and consideration goes a long way. In his case however, if I mention something I'm not comfortable with, he complies without a problem. On the other hand it should be unneccessary to have to say anything in the first place IMO.

Angler-Hi
12-15-2009, 02:08 AM
I totally agree and that's a good analogy. Some people just don't seem to grasp the concept and it's a pita to fly with them let alone share the range with them. Common sense and consideration goes a long way. In his case however, if I mention something I'm not comfortable with, he complies without a problem. On the other hand it should be unneccessary to have to say anything in the first place IMO.

Yeah, I agree. Another thing that made me a bit uncomfortable, was him flying while trying to supervise and control his kids. Made me a bit nervous there a few times.

Angler-Hi
12-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Hey Josh and Dick...what brand servos are you guys using on most of your applications? Just curious. I love the Hitec servos, but was wondering if you guys have tried the micro 9g servos from HobbyCity or Hobbypartz.com.

Capt Easy
12-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Hey Josh and Dick...what brand servos are you guys using on most of your applications? Just curious. I love the Hitec servos, but was wondering if you guys have tried the micro 9g servos from HobbyCity or Hobbypartz.com.
I've been using the HXT900 9g servos from HC more so than the Hitec and had very good service from them. They seem to be lasting better than the HS-55's. I'd suggest ordering some spare nylon gears for them just to have them on hand though. I have had to relace the gears on a couple two or three. But had worse luck with the HS-55's. I'd recommend them.

Capt Easy
12-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Found the wing in the Marines Dream was cracked tonight. Must hve been from the
x-wind T.O. incident last week.

Angler-Hi
12-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks Dick. I know I'm gonna be going with high torque metal gear servos in the Eratix. I was just curious how well the HC servos held up...really can't argue with the price, that's why. Thanks again friend.

groundrushesup
12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks Dick. I know I'm gonna be going with high torque metal gear servos in the Eratix. I was just curious how well the HC servos held up...really can't argue with the price, that's why. Thanks again friend.

I use the HXT 9g on my Trojan and the Corsair as well as for the glider project and any smaller profile foamies - but for the Sukhoi and the CAP I am using TG90's - either from TowerPro or the newer Turnigy variant (https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9392). Metal gears and almost 4 lbs. of torque. When I order I like to grab some of both.

Angler-Hi
12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I use the HXT 9g on my Trojan and the Corsair as well as for the glider project and any smaller profile foamies - but for the Sukhoi and the CAP I am using TG90's - either from TowerPro or the newer Turnigy variant (https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9392). Metal gears and almost 4 lbs. of torque. When I order I like to grab some of both.

Sweet! Thanks Josh.

Angler-Hi
12-16-2009, 02:35 AM
Just got around to watching the maiden video there guys. Josh that was awesome man!! I'm glad I got to be there for that!

Well, I decided to go with a metallic purple with metallic silver accents outlined in metallic black for my Multiplex Twister, lol. I'll start the painting tomorrow...maybe, lol. I wanted to glass her, but I can't find the silk locally or the thinner fiberglass cloth. I even went to Home Depot! I also couldn't find any nylon spacers or hex bolts. The only spacers they had were aluminum which wasn't a problem...but they were only up to 3" long. I wanted to pick some up when I make my motor mount for the next .60 warbird. Oh well, I'll try Ace hardware tomorrow.

Capt Easy
12-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Mike,

I should have mentioned ACE Hardware is where to get the nylon spacers...I think you should be able to get what you need.

Angler-Hi
12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Mike,

I should have mentioned ACE Hardware is where to get the nylon spacers...I think you should be able to get what you need.

Thanks Dick...yeah, I'm gonna head over there today when I get off work...this morning, lol. I've also decided I'm go ahead with the P-51 build...I just ordered the retracts from Nitro Planes last night for $14.99. Hopefully their the right size, lol. They didn't have any specs on them, but they look identical to what was in the P-51 kit. The only thing I can't find are the wheel pants for them...I may just hand make some with light balsa and a little silver covering. Shouldn't be too hard. Wish me luck, lol.

Capt Easy
12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
That's good to hear. $14.99 for retracts doesn't sound like very much especially for that size bird. If there's anything we can do to help with the build sing out. I'm sure Josh won't mind my volunteering his service. We need a P-51 in the squadron.
Keep us posted.

Angler-Hi
12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
That's good to hear. $14.99 for retracts doesn't sound like very much especially for that size bird. If there's anything we can do to help with the build sing out. I'm sure Josh won't mind my volunteering his service. We need a P-51 in the squadron.
Keep us posted.

Thanks Dick. I'm still working on the Twister, but the P-51's next, lol. I was thinking about gluing the wings as one and cutting two holes on top near the joint for the servo wires...since I don't have a wing joiner...it's still up in the air right now.

Capt Easy
12-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Mike,

1) Did you get to ACE and find the spacers you needed?

2.) Did you say SIG made your P-51?

3.) Are you still planning on coming this weekend?

* If you get a chance please check your HK Spit retracts and let me know where they're placed and what the instructions might offer.
Thanks

groundrushesup
12-17-2009, 04:30 AM
Well, I'm not that bright fellers.

I managed to fry my DX7 today because I was rushing the light mod - a total fluke. Everything was going according to plan - then... just before I wrapped things up I plugged in the battery to verify that the newly-installed LED was functioning, and a screw slipped out of my hand and landed on the RF board, causing a short which released the magic smoke. This will require a complete replacement of the RF module.

This blows, bigtime, as I don't have an Tx to fly with until I either have this one repaired or shell out for a new one. I'm arranging the repair with Spektrum ASAP, but I am also looking into whether or not I can move things around and get a new one. :rolleyes:

So, I am in a pickle. I'm off to bed to kick myself some more.

josh

ps - dammit! :mad:

Capt Easy
12-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Josh -
I bought some AMA plans for an M20b Messerschmitt German airlliner 30 years ago...and been waiting for this particular moment in time to build it. So what do you think? Instead of the Gamma it would also make a great project.

Orig designed for rubber power but would be a perfect conversion to EP.

Single Engine
Wingspan: 62"
Fuselage: 40"
Weight: unk

....and there's even a thread on RCG

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729367&page=2

max2112
12-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Sorry I haven't been replying guys, this has been one busy, crummy week. But it's Thursday and the end is in sight. The pictures from last weekend look Awesome! you guys rock.
Mike, that tiger striped F-16 is killer! It's great to see her in the air again.

I still haven't gotten anything airborne yet, but I'm taking a few days leave for Christmas and hopefully will remedy that then.

I managed to fry my DX7 today because I was rushing the light mod - a total fluke. . . :mad:
Sorry to read that Josh, has Spektrum provided an estimate yet?

And finally,
This is still in pencil, but... I might be TDY up in FT Sill for a few weeks in March. If I can drive down, maybe we could hook up? I'll try and get the dates locked in and let you know.

'Later guys!
John

Angler-Hi
12-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Dick...the P-51 is made by Evergreen Models. I'll ope up the Spit again this morning and let you know about the retracts...I'll even give you a call. I went all over town looking for an Ace Hardware and couldn't find it. I know I saw one somewhere...I'll check the phone book for the listing and address. I'd still like to come down this weekend too, plans really haven't changed.

Josh...sorry to hear about your DX7...if you want, you can use mine. I only fly my F-16 with it. I'll bring it this weekend and you can bind-n-fly. Feel free to use her to setup your planes any way you'd like friend.

John, if you can find a way to make it here and fly, I'll BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, I miss flying with you bro.

Capt Easy
12-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Sorry I haven't been replying guys, this has been one busy, crummy week. But it's Thursday and the end is in sight. The pictures from last weekend look Awesome! you guys rock.
Mike, that tiger striped F-16 is killer! It's great to see her in the air again.

I still haven't gotten anything airborne yet, but I'm taking a few days leave for Christmas and hopefully will remedy that then.

Sorry to read that Josh, has Spektrum provided an estimate yet?

And finally,
This is still in pencil, but... I might be TDY up in FT Sill for a few weeks in March. If I can drive down, maybe we could hook up? I'll try and get the dates locked in and let you know.

'Later guys!
John
Hey John - good to hear from you . If you get to do some flying over Christmas try and post some photos if possible. We'll be here. And if yo can make it down in March that would be great. Mike did an real admirable job flying by the way, after his 8 month separation from it. I wish I could say the same.

Capt Easy
12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Well, I'm not that bright fellers.

I managed to fry my DX7 today because I was rushing the light mod - a total fluke. Everything was going according to plan - then... just before I wrapped things up I plugged in the battery to verify that the newly-installed LED was functioning, and a screw slipped out of my hand and landed on the RF board, causing a short which released the magic smoke. This will require a complete replacement of the RF module.

This blows, bigtime, as I don't have an Tx to fly with until I either have this one repaired or shell out for a new one. I'm arranging the repair with Spektrum ASAP, but I am also looking into whether or not I can move things around and get a new one. :rolleyes:

So, I am in a pickle. I'm off to bed to kick myself some more.

josh

ps - dammit! :mad:

Josh, I overlooked your post. What a loss.... very sorry. Since Mike is offering his DX7 maybe that might work for you. I'd like to add my DX6i as available also if you care to use it. I hope this won't prevent you from flying this weekend.

groundrushesup
12-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Josh, I overlooked your post. What a loss.... very sorry. Since Mike is offering his DX7 maybe that might work for you. I'd like to add my DX6i as available also if you care to use it. I hope this won't prevent you from flying this weekend.

That is my immediate concern - however if Mike is gracious enough to let me borrow his for the afternoon I can directly transfer my numbers from mine to his temporarily so I can fly - but in the mean time I am buying a new one and sending the old one in for repairs.

I was half thinking about going nuts and getting the x9303 but I came to my senses.

Thanks for the offers guys.

Angler-Hi
12-17-2009, 06:25 PM
No worries at all Josh. Like I said, the only model I fly with it right now is the F-16. BTW, what's the weather lookin like for the weekend?

groundrushesup
12-17-2009, 06:31 PM
No worries at all Josh. Like I said, the only model I fly with it right now is the F-16. BTW, what's the weather lookin like for the weekend?

~60 and partly sunny both days, a littl e nicer on Sunday. :D

http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Fredericksburg.html

Angler-Hi
12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Looks like it will be warmer and less wind on Sunday.

Angler-Hi
12-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Hey Dick, sorry it took me so long to get back to you man:o. I've got the Spit out and looked at the retracts. They are aluminum retracts and do not rotate...they fold up away from the fuselage. I think if I get the motor tomorrow, I might possibly have her ready for the weekend, minus the paint job...we'll see.

I'm just waiting on my Monster 25 motor to come in. I have everything else to build her. I know I need to go out tomorrow and get a new air compressor...the one I have is just too weak. To be honest, I never thought it was worth the money I paid for it:mad:.

I tried starting on the paint job on my Twister and it's not gonna happen with this compressor. I was hoping to have her ready by this weekend, but with me now losing a whole night's work, it's just not gonna happen:(.

Capt Easy
12-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Mike,
Here's the power calc link:
http://www.bungymania.com/bmdb.php

Angler-Hi
12-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Mike,
Here's the power calc link:
http://www.bungymania.com/bmdb.php

Thanks Dick.

Angler-Hi
12-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Think you guys can help with a video and maybe some pics?
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45008

Angler-Hi
12-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Feel like I'm alone here guys, lol. Anyway, I'll be bringing my P-47 (duh), and my L-39 and F-35 for their maidens. Thinking about bringing the F-4 Phantom too. Think there will be enough room where we'll be flying?

groundrushesup
12-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Feel like I'm alone here guys, lol. Anyway, I'll be bringing my P-47 (duh), and my L-39 and F-35 for their maidens. Thinking about bringing the F-4 Phantom too. Think there will be enough room where we'll be flying?

I think so. Then again I think its a pretty big space, I think Dick feels a little restricted.

I'll be happy to take some video and pics for ya Mike.

let me know if there's anything besides control rods and the 4mm collet that you need me to bring.

josh

Angler-Hi
12-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks a million Josh! I should be good on everything else. I'll also be bringing the wall charger for my DX7 so you can fly during the week until you get yours back. Again, real sorry to hear about that man.

groundrushesup
12-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks a million Josh! I should be good on everything else. I'll also be bringing the wall charger for my DX7 so you can fly during the week until you get yours back. Again, real sorry to hear about that man.

I really appreciate it Mike though honestly it was my own damn fault. :roll:

See you tomorrow!

Angler-Hi
12-20-2009, 01:49 AM
No problem at all bud. BTW, if you read this before you hit the sack...I might need another long control rod if you have one. I only bought two and cut one too short because I'm an idiot. That's what I get for trying to work on my planes and watch a recorded UFC fight at the same time, lol.

groundrushesup
12-20-2009, 07:52 AM
No problem at all bud. BTW, if you read this before you hit the sack...I might need another long control rod if you have one. I only bought two and cut one too short because I'm an idiot. That's what I get for trying to work on my planes and watch a recorded UFC fight at the same time, lol.

LOL yeah man, my Dad was a carpenter for a good chunk of his life, and he used to tell that old joke all the time:

"I don't understand. I cut it twice and its still too short." :Q

I'll grab the rod stock that I have before I hit the road.

lata
josh

groundrushesup
12-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Interesting reading about the dx7 and antenna position

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7358948/anchors_7358948/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7358948

Angler-Hi
12-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Interesting reading about the dx7 and antenna position

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7358948/anchors_7358948/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7358948

Just read it...I always fly with the antenna straight out and bent up at a 45 degree angle. Never had a problem! BTW, here's some pics from yesterday.

max2112
12-21-2009, 02:49 PM
As always, it looks like you guys had a great day of flying and camraderie. Excellent pictures Mike.
I think this one is my Favorite!
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116162&d=1261399389

btw How did the maiden on the L-39 go?

Angler-Hi
12-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, the wind picked up after about 45 minutes and was a bit much for the rest of the day. It started to die down around 4:00pm, but then I had to start heading back to Hood. I was only able to fly the P-47...the Phantom didn't fly because I needed to mess around with the nose wheel. It barely wants to turn right. It will go in circles to the left all day, but not right.

Then, like an idiot, I forgot to mount the control rod covers that protect them when belly landing on the L-39! So that never flew. I still had a great time though! Dick and Josh are great company and good friends. I wouldn't trade that for all the flying in the world. Wish you were here John.

Mike

max2112
12-21-2009, 04:19 PM
... Dick and Josh are great company and good friends. I wouldn't trade that for all the flying in the world. Wish you were here John.

Mike

I do too, Mike. I really do. I couldn't agree with you more.
But hey, it's just a matter of time until we all fly together again! We'll make it happen somehow.:tc:

Angler-Hi
12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I do too, Mike. I really do. I couldn't agree with you more.
But hey, it's just a matter of time until we all fly together again! We'll make it happen somehow.:tc:

I have no doubt friend. Well, it was just too easy to square away the issue with the nose wheel on the F-4:silly:. I didn't have to bend any wire gear or rest the servo arm. All I did was take the bottom hex screw on the collet on the nose wheel and turn the gear wire about 1/8" to the right, and tighten down the hex screw...DONE!!

I pulled out the control rod protective scoops for the L-39 and CA'd them in place...DONE!

Now I just need to see if I can get the control rods to reach on the F-35. Josh was kind enough to throw a few my way, lol. I'm hoping they reach. Once that's done, I just need to swap out the stock Rx with one of my own and she'll be done:ws:.

Angler-Hi
12-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey Josh, I think that prop adapter you gave me might be a 5mm, lol. It's too big for the 4mm prop shaft on my Monster 25, lol. No worries though friend...I really appreciate everything man!

groundrushesup
12-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey Josh, I think that prop adapter you gave me might be a 5mm, lol. It's too big for the 4mm prop shaft on my Monster 25, lol. No worries though friend...I really appreciate everything man!

Dammit man, my bad, I swear my Caliper must be off somehow. I bet I coudl scare up a 4mm if I looked through my crap so let me know and I can throw one in the mail.

Josh

Angler-Hi
12-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Dammit man, my bad, I swear my Caliper must be off somehow. I bet I coudl scare up a 4mm if I looked through my crap so let me know and I can throw one in the mail.

Josh

Thanks Josh...yeah, if you could find a 4mm, that would be great. I was gonna order on last night. I found some for $2-$3, but the shipping was the same, lol. Not really wanting to pay $6 for a prop adapter, lol. I'll pay you for it man...just let me know and I'll put a few bucks in the mail for you. Thanks again man!

Mike

Capt Easy
12-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Just read it...I always fly with the antenna straight out and bent up at a 45 degree angle. Never had a problem! BTW, here's some pics from yesterday.
Thanks for the photos Mike,

Angler-Hi
12-22-2009, 02:18 AM
No problem Dick. When do you guys plan on getting together again?

Capt Easy
12-22-2009, 02:27 AM

Thanks for the photos Mike, nice job. I find it an interesting facination to review some of the flights following a sucessful day at the field and sharing the experience.
Rose must have been bored to delerium though but, thank her for making the trip anyway.
Glad to see you got the F-4 nose wheel fixed up.

Angler-Hi
12-22-2009, 02:36 AM
It's ok...if it had been a bit less windy and not so cold (for her), she would have been more active.

Been getting alot of vibration from the fan in my L-39. I might have to re-balance the fan! That's gonna be a pain!! She screams at 1/4 throttle though on 4s. She's definitely not underpowered, lol. I'm gonna try and fly the F-4 tomorrow if the wind permits. I'll try and get video of my flying.

Let me know when you guys are meeting up again and I'll drive down.

Capt Easy
12-22-2009, 05:32 AM
It's ok...if it had been a bit less windy and not so cold (for her), she would have been more active.

Been getting alot of vibration from the fan in my L-39. I might have to re-balance the fan! That's gonna be a pain!! She screams at 1/4 throttle though on 4s. She's definitely not underpowered, lol. I'm gonna try and fly the F-4 tomorrow if the wind permits. I'll try and get video of my flying.

Let me know when you guys are meeting up again and I'll drive down.
Josh will be off for a few days strting tomorrow. If the wx is descent I'd like to get together whenever possible. Right now I'm battling a severe sore throat and ear ache but hopefully I'll be feeling better in a couple days.

I'll call Joshua tomorrow and see what's shakin'.

Angler-Hi
12-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Hope it runs it's course soon Dick...get better man. The weather here sucks for the next three days at LEAST. Supposed to rain tomorrow and highw winds. The lowest wind conditions in my AO are 11mph. Maybe we can meet up after Christmas or something...speaking of Christmas, is there anything you want or might need?

Capt Easy
12-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Hope it runs it's course soon Dick...get better man. The weather here sucks for the next three days at LEAST. Supposed to rain tomorrow and highw winds. The lowest wind conditions in my AO are 11mph. Maybe we can meet up after Christmas or something...speaking of Christmas, is there anything you want or might need?
Yeh, the wx looks less than desirable right now but I hav'nt checked on it here recently.
I'll call you maybe today or tomorrow.
Later...

Angler-Hi
12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Yeh, the wx looks less than desirable right now but I hav'nt checked on it here recently.
I'll call you maybe today or tomorrow.
Later...

Sounds good Dick. My retracts for the P-51 just came today in the mail. They are the correct size and it shouldn't be too long before I get to finishing her up. All I need now is an ESC and the motor mount!! Might take a trip to the LHS today and see if I can find a 4mm prop adapter for the Spit.

The L-39 is going to need some balancing of the fan...going to be very tedious and a pain, but it needs to be done. I have too much $$ invested to just walk away from her. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress with the Mustang and Spit. Happy building Dick.

Angler-Hi
12-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Well guys, I'm off to the LHS! They just got those aluminum adjustable motor mounts in:silly:...the same kind Dick has on one of his big birds. I'm taking my motor up there to make sure I get the right size. Also just ordered some more Deans plugs for six new batteries:D. Think I'm gonna start the build...AGAIN...on the P-51 today!! I'll keep you posted and take some pics as I progress.

groundrushesup
12-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Saturday and sunday look like decent days to fly!

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=78624&hourly=1&yday=359&weekday=Saturday

max2112
12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Mike,
I brought this over here so we wouldn't hijack NitroBlast's thread.
Looks sweet John! Did you use heat to apply the covering to her or some other adhesive? I've always been wanting to have a go at the whole covering thing on one of my jets, like you did with the Phase 3 F-16.
Mike
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116337&d=1261568040
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116172&d=1261411182
Yes, I applied the econokote with the normal hobby iron. It sticks pretty well as-is. I might seal it w/ some WBPU or maybe even clear fingernail polish.

Angler-Hi
12-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Well however you did it, it looks like a sweet idea! Really liking the look John. My wife just found the "other" box that had all the original parts for my P-51!!!!!!!!! The retracts along with all the control rods and evrything else in it! I asked her, "I thought you said you didn't touch any of my plane stuff while I was gone"? She said, "well I didn't know what was in it...it was just in my way". It's about the size of a phone book...how could it be in your way!!?? Anyways, I have it now, after spending over $60.00 in crap to get her built, that was in the bedroom all along!

Whatever...can't wait to start the build!!!! WAHOO!!

Angler-Hi
12-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Just talked to Dick...I'm gonna take some pics of the Spit and some issues I'm running into with it. The camera's in the truck, and the wife has the truck, lol. When she gets back from the grocery store, I'll get some pics for ya Dick.

Working on mounting the motor mount to the P-51 at the moment as well. So far she's coming along nicely. I'll get some pics of that too. As soon as the motor mount and motor are installed, I'll start on the servos. Gonna use 4x DS821 digital standard size servos for all control surfaces (elevator, ailerons, rudder) and two standard size servos for the retracts. Only thing left to get for this bird is an 80A HV ESC and a couple of 3s 3500mah li-pos and 4s 4000mah li-pos, spinner and props. I can pick up the spinner at the LHS, but the batts and ESC will have to be ordered...oh yeah, let's not forget an additional Rx for the DX7, lol. She won't be ready by the next time we get together.

The Spit needs nothig but a Rx...still need to do some fabricating to get the servos to fit and mount securely. Pics to follow...

Angler-Hi
12-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Here's some pics of the servos NOT fitting...gonna have to use some light ply to fabricate the servo trays to allow them to fit.

Angler-Hi
12-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Here's a few shots of the P-51 and the motor mounted. Tomorrow I will start installing servos, then start working on the retracts. Just don't know what size spinner I'm gonna need for this bird. My motor has a 6mm shaft...now need to find a spinner that fits and fits to scale of my cowl.

groundrushesup
12-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Well however you did it, it looks like a sweet idea! Really liking the look John. My wife just found the "other" box that had all the original parts for my P-51!!!!!!!!! The retracts along with all the control rods and evrything else in it! I asked her, "I thought you said you didn't touch any of my plane stuff while I was gone"? She said, "well I didn't know what was in it...it was just in my way". It's about the size of a phone book...how could it be in your way!!?? Anyways, I have it now, after spending over $60.00 in crap to get her built, that was in the bedroom all along!

Whatever...can't wait to start the build!!!! WAHOO!!

Dude that is awesome. Can't wait to see the progress as it goes together.

And john - that's pretty sweet - reminds me of Lowenbrau - is that the Grippen?

Josh

groundrushesup
12-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Here's a few shots of the P-51 and the motor mounted. Tomorrow I will start installing servos, then start working on the retracts. Just don't know what size spinner I'm gonna need for this bird. My motor has a 6mm shaft...now need to find a spinner that fits and fits to scale of my cowl.

Hey that's the RimFire mount for LARGE motors isn't it? Lookin' good man.

max2112
12-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Mike, that is just TOO sexy!

And john - that's pretty sweet - reminds me of Lowenbrau - is that the Grippen?
Josh

Yes, it's the HobbyLobby Grippen. I got it on sale for $99 shipped. I know it's sacrilige(sp?) but those are Peugot lions on a Saab airplane. I am thinking of putting a big Saab logo centered on top of the main fuse.

max2112
12-24-2009, 02:34 PM
On second thought, I think I'll go with one on each wing!:p>

Anywho, here's the final installment of the Gripen Econokote makeover:

Angler-Hi
12-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey Josh, yeah that's the GreatPlanes large motor mount. $20.00 at the LHS. I'll start on installing the servos today and the retracts.

John, thanks man. I like the decals on the individual wings man! I think that looks better than if you put a large one on the top of the fuse, lol. Did you ever find a spot to fly yet? You gotta give yourself a whole day, just dedicated to looking for a few possible flying sites...recon friend, recon.

Angler-Hi
12-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Dick, here are the hinges I got from Hobby Lobby (craft store). These will work perfectly for the door mod.

Capt Easy
12-24-2009, 06:35 PM
On second thought, I think I'll go with one on each wing!:p>

Anywho, here's the final installment of the Gripen Econokote makeover:
Very nice John...hope you get a chance to fly her sometime soon.

Capt Easy
12-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Dick, here are the hinges I got from Hobby Lobby (craft store). These will work perfectly for the door mod.
Mike - thanks very much...looking forward to them.

Capt Easy
12-25-2009, 05:40 AM
Mike,

Here's some ref for your Spitfire door. The instrument panel is a nice touch if you're interested also....

If you need anything just let me know.

Cheers Mate

Capt Easy
12-25-2009, 07:52 AM
...........guess who's starting to feel better? Worked on the Spitfire today inbetween popping Amoxycillin and Vicadin.

Finished most of the repaint and worked on the canopy and cockpit door....the hinge is aluminum tape till MIke arrives with a micro hinge...nice find Mike.
The center and rear portions of the canopies will need to be trimmed out with a frame for the leading edges and of course the antenna mast will be added toward the last.
Also need the roundels for the sides and bottom wing. ( I masked off the top wing and should have been smart enough to mask the others.)

Lots more work yet installing retracts, mounting the motor and adding Johnny Johnson's inititals, etc...

I love this stuff. Vicadin's not bad either. Hope you find lots of presents under the tree you crazy kids.

Capt E sends

groundrushesup
12-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Merry Christmas Everybody.

Looking forward to brighter days and even more fun flying with you in the New Year.

Your friend,

Josh

Angler-Hi
12-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Lookin awesome Dick!! If you can help me out with one of this nifty little cockpit control panels, that would be GREAT! Thanks for the pics of the scale door, that really helps. I think I want to scratch build the little handle system on the outside of the door as well. Merry Christmas you pill-poppin, RC junkie, lol. Love ya friend.

Josh...I LOVE YOU MAN! Definitely looking forward to flying with you guys all year round! Merry Christmas to you, and best wishes friend.

Mike

groundrushesup
12-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Merry Xmas! OMG someone got me a Snuggie.

And socks - you can never have too many socks.

But enough jibberish. Dick did ypu check your answering machine? I called at @ 8pm last night.

So Capt Codeine....

Are we flyin' today or what??!?!

LOL

Call me 8305376012

Angler-Hi
12-25-2009, 01:30 PM
So what else did you get besides a Snuggie, lol? Merry Christmas guys. Have fun flying today. Post pics of your Christmas flying if you can.

max2112
12-25-2009, 02:16 PM
...........guess who's starting to feel better? Worked on the Spitfire today inbetween popping Amoxycillin and Vicadin.
Ooh. Very RELAXED antibiotics are the BEST!:p>

Dick, as usual, your scale detailing leaves me speechless. 116506You rock!116507

Merry Xmas! OMG someone got me a Snuggie.

And socks - you can never have too many socks!

Josh - I always knew that you were wise beyond your years!:D

Bye for now!

Angler-Hi
12-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I got the servo for the rudder and elevator installed on the Mustang...lock nuts on the motor mount bolts are in and now I'm gonna start installing the servos in the wings. I need to get two retract servos before I get started on the retracts. I'm also gonna be working on the battery bay...decided not to cut a hatch out on top. I'm just gonna remove the wings to get to the battery...

Things left to buy for the P-51 are:

1x Retract servo
Spinner
prop
Rx
2x 3s 5000mah li-pos
2x 4s 5000mah li-pos

Chances are I'll have this bird done before the Spit.

groundrushesup
12-25-2009, 03:57 PM
My research indicates that you guys have two servo options for your spit retracts.

First - the only sub-micro retract servo I could find is the Waypoint

W-150MGR - 26mmx13mmx26mm, 0.59oz weight. 52oz./in. torque.

http://www.allerc.com/w-servos.htm

And the considerably chunkier

HiTec HS0S75 - 44x23x25mm, 1.23 oz. weight. 92 oz./in. torque.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/retract_servo_hs_75bb_2796_prd1.htm

The former seems to be out of stock on every website i have found.

josh

Capt Easy
12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS, YOU CAPTAINS OF THE CLOUDS!

Thanks for the comments on the Spit...it's such a beautiful bird and I'm having a ball working on it.

Mike - just let me know what I can do - it'll be a pleasure. The handle/crash pick for the door is made out of alum rod....I have some for you and a pattern for the inst panel.

I'm heading out to fly something ....it's gorgeous outside.

Tally Ho, Ho, Ho ;-)

groundrushesup
12-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Where'r those fancy Corsair pics?

Well tomorrow looks perfect according to Wunderground

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?hourly=1&query=78624&yday=359&weekday=Saturday

So I'll be up around 10-11.

Capt Easy
12-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah, well, the winds were not what they said they were as usual here but the sun was out and GRU presented me with a very thoughtful Christmas present. Another good day...

(GRU's Corsair flying top and bottom cover for Santa)

Capt Easy
12-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Where'r those fancy Corsair pics?

Well tomorrow looks perfect according to Wunderground

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?hourly=1&query=78624&yday=359&weekday=Saturday

So I'll be up around 10-11.
...I thought you took some pics too, where are they?

groundrushesup
12-26-2009, 03:57 AM
...I thought you took some pics too, where are they?

They were all shoite.

Angler-Hi
12-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Not gonna be able to make it down this weekend guys...wife has plans for the family. Don't know what they are....but she wants me here this weekend. I'll definitely be down next weekend if the wind is agreeable.

I'm gonna start installing the wing servos today, as well as install the canopy, vertical and horizontal stabs on the P-51. I'm gonna get some small dowels and drill holes in the joining sides of the wings and just epoxy both wings together since I don't have the wing joiner for them. I can't do that until I get my retract servo though. I'll post pics later as I progress.

Dick or Josh...do you guys mind if I use your covering iron when I bring her down? She's been sitting for two years and there's a few wrinkles in the wings and fuse...not much at all, but I want them gone, lol.

Capt Easy
12-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Sorry you can't make it Mike, but family comes first.
A covering iron will be reserved for your use from either me or Josh.
Have a good one -

Angler-Hi
12-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Sorry you can't make it Mike, but family comes first.
A covering iron will be reserved for your use from either me or Josh.
Have a good one -

Thanks a million Dick! Good news and bad news...the good news is that everything seems to be coming along nicely. I have the servos for the ailerons mounted on the servo cover and will be installing them in the wings shortly.

The bad news is that I just pulled out the retracts that came with the kit and one of them is bent! Almost at a 45 degree angle. I don't have the tools required to bend it back in place...the after market retracts I bought are the same size, but they don't have the 90 degree bend in them that the stock ones do. I don't have anything to make the bend, then cut the excess rod. Here's a few pics of the wing servos and the bent gear.

I've decided to go with standard Hitech servos for the ailerons and DS821 digital servos for the elevator and rudder. I wanted the most precise throw and movement on the elevator and rudder...especially the rudder, as I expect to be using it at the most crucial times (LANDING), lol.

Angler-Hi
12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Don't know what kind of retract servo to use now. The standard sized servos like that of the DS821, is too tall. It doesn't allow enough clearance for the servo arm to move or line up with the control arm on the retracts!! Gonna have to do some research and see if they make a smaller retract servo that will work for this sized bird. Either that or a really high torque servo. It has to be the same width and length of these standard servos though, just a bit shorter. NOT HAPPY!

Angler-Hi
12-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Ahhh, the hell with it...I'm gonna go fly something. Be back whenever.

Angler-Hi
12-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, no flying NOW. The wife called and said she'll be getting off work soon, but entirely sure of the time. I guess I'll go unload the truck, after spending almost 20 minutes figuring out how to pack my planes in it.

The P-51 is officially put away until I get a retract servo that fits, servo extensions and ESC. Gonna start finishing up the Spit I guess...maybe I'll just go shoot myself in the face. Talk to you guys soon...have fun flying today, wish I were there.

Angler-Hi
12-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Well guys I did everything I really can at this time with both the P-51 and Spit. They're all boxed up and waiting until I can get the rest of the stuff I need for them.

Still need:

P-51...servo extensions, spinner, props, ESC, batteries and Rx.

Issues...One retract rod gear is bent (new ones without 45 degree bend), find a short retract servo. Also need to get some thin balsa sheeting and make wheel well inserts.

Spit...spinner, prop and Rx.

Issues...None.

Capt Easy
12-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks a million Dick! Good news and bad news...the good news is that everything seems to be coming along nicely. I have the servos for the ailerons mounted on the servo cover and will be installing them in the wings shortly.

The bad news is that I just pulled out the retracts that came with the kit and one of them is bent! Almost at a 45 degree angle. I don't have the tools required to bend it back in place...the after market retracts I bought are the same size, but they don't have the 90 degree bend in them that the stock ones do. I don't have anything to make the bend, then cut the excess rod. Here's a few pics of the wing servos and the bent gear.

I've decided to go with standard Hitech servos for the ailerons and DS821 digital servos for the elevator and rudder. I wanted the most precise throw and movement on the elevator and rudder...especially the rudder, as I expect to be using it at the most crucial times (LANDING), lol.
Mike that bend does't look that bad but maybe I'm seeing it differently. Anyway if you had a vice to secure it, maybe you could you bend it back.

Capt Easy
12-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Winds weren't as nasty as yesterday and it was warmer but still a little gusty till late afteroon when Josh and I packed up. He had a run of bad luck with loss of signal but he'll probably cover that story himself.

Another local pilot arrived on site with an F-16 and F-18.

There's a couple full scale airplanes among the photos too if you can find them..

Lots of pics...More To Follow

groundrushesup
12-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Winds weren't as nasty as yesterday and it was warmer but still a little gusty till late afteroon when Josh and I packed up. He had a run of bad luck with loss of signal but he'll probably cover that story himself.

Another local pilot arrived on site with an F-16 and F-18.

Lots of pics...More To Follow

Wow, great shots of my former profile foamy - thanks Dick I hadn't noticed you taking pics at that point.

Hopefully some of the GeeBee and P-47 shots I took are workable, I thought my technique had improved markedly lol

As for the signal issue - I am worried about your radio Mike. I have lost 2 planes on it now and came REALLY close to losing my GeeBee today. It seems when I range check any of my planes with the bind button pressed they all tend to fail within 15 paces, but then I can get out to 120 paces without pressing the bind button and it is fine. I tried this with the Corsair and the GeeBee today - it was bizarre behavior to say the least. I also noticed an occasional glitch where the plane would not respond immediately to my inputs for a split second - most noticeable in an aileron movement - but then would suddenly overcompensate.

Have you ever had any issues with the radio and your F-16? Any glitches or moments where you felt you had lost control? I know you have an AR7000 in that bird so maybe that helps - but I would like to avoid having you put up your P-51 with this radio without maybe talking to Horizon about this issue. Dick and I talked about this today and I agonized over how to say it - I appreciate the loaner for sure - but I feel like a turd calling out your radio like this. Feels like I am looking a gift horse in the mouth, and that's certainly not what I mean to convey.

It is especially ironic because Dick was/is gunshy about his DX7 even though he hasn't had any in-flight issues with it that I can remember - and I always cruised along with my seemingly bulletproof DX7 until it died by my own hand last week.

I should get my new radio by no later than Friday, so I will hopefully be back in business for the weekend and I look forward to doing a bunch of range tests with all three of our radios to see if we can isolate the problem somehow.

Anyways, cheers.

BTW - that previous number I listed is my Mom's house, I was over there for Xmas. My cell # is 830-446-1940 if you ever wanna chat.

josh

Capt Easy
12-27-2009, 04:17 AM
My Hee Bee Gee Bee photos courtesy of GRU

Angler-Hi
12-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Thanks for letting me know Josh. I've never had an issue with that radio...no glitches, no lock-outs. I have never really done a range check with the bind button, lol. I've always just walked out 30+ paces and checked to make sure everything was working correctly. Kind of has me scared now, because at this time, I can't afford another DX7...well, I can, but radio only. I don't know if this only happens when binding to a new Rx or if that particular area is causing this. Now you have me wanting to do a proper range check in my neck of the woods and see if she passes a range check or not.

If needs be, I'll fly the P-51 with my Optic 6 and go 72Mhz...not saying that would be better for avoiding glitches or not. I've never had an issue with the Optic 6. I know that radio like the back of my hand, lol. I have no idea if the airport being right there could be causing these failed range checks or glitches. I need to talk to Horizon and see what I can dig up on the matter. I'm really not wanting my radio to have issues, lol.

If you need me to pay for your lost planes or damaged electronics, I'll do so without hesitation friend. Just let me know what I owe you. I'm so sorry my radio failed on you Josh.

Mike

Angler-Hi
12-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Nice pics Dick...really wish I could have been there today. Gonna take the kids to go see Avatar tomorrow. My son really wants to see that, but my daughter wants to see The Frog Prince...so I think my wife is taking her to see that, and my son and I are going to see Avatar, lol. Might just see both, one after the other:red:. My daughter wants me to watch The Frog Prince with her.

Capt Easy
12-27-2009, 05:04 AM
I think the Frog Prince should be mandatory viewing for any warrior.

In the meantime here's the thread on the DX7:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22015&highlight=dx7+problems&page=51

Angler-Hi
12-27-2009, 05:21 AM
Thanks Dick! I think I may have a possible solution to MY radio's issue...The battery in my DX7 had a crimped wire that caused it to literally come loose from the connector. I had to solder it back on and wrapped electrical tape around it. To understand what I'm getting at, read post #100.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22015&highlight=DX7+range+check+test+failed&page=4

Angler-Hi
12-27-2009, 05:27 AM
I'm gonna buy a new Tx pack and see if that solves the issue...if not, I'll call Horizon. The DX7 only has a 1 year warranty, so I'll be paying for them to fix it.

groundrushesup
12-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Thanks for letting me know Josh. I've never had an issue with that radio...no glitches, no lock-outs. I have never really done a range check with the bind button, lol. I've always just walked out 30+ paces and checked to make sure everything was working correctly. Kind of has me scared now, because at this time, I can't afford another DX7...well, I can, but radio only. I don't know if this only happens when binding to a new Rx or if that particular area is causing this. Now you have me wanting to do a proper range check in my neck of the woods and see if she passes a range check or not.

If needs be, I'll fly the P-51 with my Optic 6 and go 72Mhz...not saying that would be better for avoiding glitches or not. I've never had an issue with the Optic 6. I know that radio like the back of my hand, lol. I have no idea if the airport being right there could be causing these failed range checks or glitches. I need to talk to Horizon and see what I can dig up on the matter. I'm really not wanting my radio to have issues, lol.

If you need me to pay for your lost planes or damaged electronics, I'll do so without hesitation friend. Just let me know what I owe you. I'm so sorry my radio failed on you Josh.

Mike

Mike,

Dick mentioned that being the good guy that you are, you might feel responsible for this situation and it actually stunned me for a brief second because the thought had never entered my mind.

I appreciate your offer but I hope you know me better than that. My concern is for you and your future use of the radio - hell maybe it is just my crappy planes but I have noticed a pattern and I think it would be borderline malicious to hand you back a radio that was possibly on the fritz without at least saying something.

There has to be some reason, and what I am looking to do is find out what it is so we can both rest easy.

I am gonna call the Horizon engineers on Monday AM to get the RMA info for my old DX7 - I will pepper them with questions and see if they think you might need a warranty repair. If so I would like to pay the shipping and for any costs that would be incurred as far as labor is concerned - I owe you that much for the loaner.

Bottom line, we all need to spend our time moaning about the wind and not worrying if our equipment is gonna go teets-up on us ;-)

Anyways, I am off to bed. Just got an email saying my DX7 will ship first thing Monday morning - may even have it by Wednesday!

Cheers and I'll talk to you guys soon.

Josh

Angler-Hi
12-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Josh...you don't owe me anything at all man. I'm just disappointed that I lent you a radio that failed on you, causing damage to your babies.

Glad to hear your radio's fixed and on the way back home. Thanks for hitting up Horizon for us man. Now I'm on pins and needles until I find out what's wrong. I was reading in another thread, that glitches and even lock-outs were being caused due to low voltage and irregular current from the radio's battery. When I first got my DX7, the Tx pack was already installed...well, it was crimped by the battery cover and it actually cut through one of the wires. I did my best to resolder it and wrap it in electrical tape. It charged just fine after that and never had issues with it. I'm hoping that's the problem and all it will take is a new Tx pack. I remember when I went to put it on the charger for the 1st time, it didn't want to charge and that's when I noticed the crimped and cut wires.

groundrushesup
12-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Josh...you don't owe me anything at all man. I'm just disappointed that I lent you a radio that failed on you, causing damage to your babies.

Glad to hear your radio's fixed and on the way back home. Thanks for hitting up Horizon for us man. Now I'm on pins and needles until I find out what's wrong. I was reading in another thread, that glitches and even lock-outs were being caused due to low voltage and irregular current from the radio's battery. When I first got my DX7, the Tx pack was already installed...well, it was crimped by the battery cover and it actually cut through one of the wires. I did my best to resolder it and wrap it in electrical tape. It charged just fine after that and never had issues with it. I'm hoping that's the problem and all it will take is a new Tx pack. I remember when I went to put it on the charger for the 1st time, it didn't want to charge and that's when I noticed the crimped and cut wires.

Hey Mike,

Got yoru message too late to call back last night, I was loungin around the house all day and my Cellphone was in a dead spot so I didn't get my messages until I went to bed.

Called Horizon this morning - ended up holding too long for the support guys so I plan to call back this afternoon when all the holiday support traffic dies down.

I did speak to sales and they verified my brand-spankin new Tx is on the truck and should be here by Wednesday latest. This will be a great way to test the theory of the battery Mike because I plan to give you the new Tx pack that comes with it (I will be using my LiPo) ;-)

So sweet, Looks like I will be back up in the air by the weekend! YAY!

[happy dance]

Josh

Angler-Hi
12-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Sweet! Glad to hear it Josh! How much do you want for that Tx pack? I'd feel bad if I took it off your hands for nothing bud. I mean, control rods, 4mm prop adapter, battery cell checker-thingy...I know it's a bunch of small stuff, but I don't wanna come off as a mooch. Thanks again for everything man, you're the best!

Mike

groundrushesup
12-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Sweet! Glad to hear it Josh! How much do you want for that Tx pack? I'd feel bad if I took it off your hands for nothing bud. I mean, control rods, 4mm prop adapter, battery cell checker-thingy...I know it's a bunch of small stuff, but I don't wanna come off as a mooch. Thanks again for everything man, you're the best!

Mike

Well the cell-checker is an undelivered Xmas present - Dick got his already.

;-)

How about you pay me for the prop adapter cause I bought it NIB from the hobby shop - make it 5$ and we are even - or maybe you buy me lunch next time you are down lol

I'll even throw in the tip this time ahahaha

Angler-Hi
12-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Well the cell-checker is an undelivered Xmas present - Dick got his already.

;-)

How about you pay me for the prop adapter cause I bought it NIB from the hobby shop - make it 5$ and we are even - or maybe you buy me lunch next time you are down lol

I'll even throw in the tip this time ahahaha

Sounds good man.

Capt Easy
12-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Mike:
An early thread ...looks like a Ripmax based on the silver covering but another ref for study on the retract install.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362920&page=2

More to follow-

Using HXT900's for retract servos:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9969941#post9969941

Angler-Hi
12-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Good luck Dick...thanks for the links man. I'm going with an actual retract servo.

Angler-Hi
12-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Here ya go Dick...this is all the manual covers for the retracts.

Angler-Hi
12-30-2009, 02:19 AM
Hey Dick, check these out! I know they're only for .10-.15 sized planes, but they plan on making them for up to the .60 sized birds.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLG100

These would be perfect for my P-47!!

Capt Easy
12-30-2009, 03:30 AM
Mike - thanks for the retract pics....those e-retracts look good but pricey.

Tonight, it's Spitfire MkIX carb airscoop manufacturing class. I hope it may serve to help cool the motor.

Cheerio Mate

Capt Easy
12-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Here ya go Dick...this is all the manual covers for the retracts.
That servo tray looks like it's made for two servos....(?)

Angler-Hi
12-30-2009, 03:52 AM
That servo tray looks like it's made for two servos....(?)

I thought about that too, but the manual shows a single servo working both retracts. Doesn't matter to me at this point...I'm going with a single retract servo.

I still haven't ordered one, but I'm gonna hit up the LHS tomorrow and see if he got any in. If not, I might order a couple different ones. I plan on doing retracts on my P-47 anyways...it'll be good to have those extra ones lying around. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and pick up a set of those E-Flite ones too. Hope to see you guys this weekend. We can talk more about it then as well. I wanna do a bit more research before I make up my mind which ones to go with.

Capt Easy
12-30-2009, 04:52 AM
Yeh, I think as I said over the phone the single retract servo is my choice as well.
I was reading the Spirtfire thread aver at RCG and two guys mentioned the HS-81 servos I have for the Spit are not very good. I hope that is not the case. If so I'm sending them back to Tower. They said they both had trouble with them centering and they also twitched a lot.
As far as my retract servos I think I'll go with the Waypoint 150's or maybe a HC one.

Angler-Hi
12-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeh, I think as I said over the phone the single retract servo is my choice as well.
I was reading the Spirtfire thread aver at RCG and two guys mentioned the HS-81 servos I have for the Spit are not very good. I hope that is not the case. If so I'm sending them back to Tower. They said they both had trouble with them centering and they also twitched a lot.
As far as my retract servos I think I'll go with the Waypoint 150's or maybe a HC one.

Well those threads have been around for a while Dick. I would at least give those servos a try before sending them back...if anything, do a bench test and if they seem to hold up, keep em. Besides, never know if you might do a mod for bomb bay doors or something...those servos would be good for something like that...you only use them twice during a flight. Just a thought friend. I'll let you know what retract servo I go with.

I need to take the cowl for the spit and the P-51 to the LHS to see what spinners will be a good fit.

groundrushesup
12-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Well those threads have been around for a while Dick. I would at least give those servos a try before sending them back...if anything, do a bench test and if they seem to hold up, keep em. Besides, never know if you might do a mod for bomb bay doors or something...those servos would be good for something like that...you only use them twice during a flight. Just a thought friend. I'll let you know what retract servo I go with.

I need to take the cowl for the spit and the P-51 to the LHS to see what spinners will be a good fit.

Yeah Dick don't toss those HS81's too fast, they are usually decent servos.

Mike I am thinking you will end up with a 4" spinner for the Mustang - the P-51 always seems to have an overly large spinner due to the nature of the cowl design (I had a 3" spinner on my Parkzone Mustang)

Josh

Angler-Hi
12-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Well I need to take the cowl up to LHS later to see what's what. Thanks for the heads up though Josh. I'm starting to look at these electric retracts. I like the fact that they don't need a retract servo. I still need to work out the bent retract issue on the P-51.

Hey Dick...did you ever find a link to those wheel collars and collets that allow you to mount the wheels onto a straight rod, rather than having to bend the retracts rods? I searched for them but came up empty.

Angler-Hi
12-31-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm working on the paint for the Twister tonight...won't get her all finished until tomorrow though. I was hoping to have her done by tonight, but it doesn't look like it...might have to run out and get more paint, lol. I'm using the spray gun for the new compressor. I LOVE it!! I was wanting to maiden her tomorrow, but I figured I'd wait until this weekend...that way I don't have to go the walk of shame alone, lol. I'll post pics of her tomorrow as I progress.

Dick, I'll be looking forward to those air scoops you're working on, lol.

Josh man, Dick told me about you not getting your DX7 back today. Not sure if you picked her up in San Antonio today or not. I hope it all works out for you bud. See you guys this weekend. BTW, are you guys wanting to fly Saturday or Sunday or both?

groundrushesup
12-31-2009, 02:59 AM
I'm working on the paint for the Twister tonight...won't get her all finished until tomorrow though. I was hoping to have her done by tonight, but it doesn't look like it...might have to run out and get more paint, lol. I'm using the spray gun for the new compressor. I LOVE it!! I was wanting to maiden her tomorrow, but I figured I'd wait until this weekend...that way I don't have to go the walk of shame alone, lol. I'll post pics of her tomorrow as I progress.

Dick, I'll be looking forward to those air scoops you're working on, lol.

Josh man, Dick told me about you not getting your DX7 back today. Not sure if you picked her up in San Antonio today or not. I hope it all works out for you bud. See you guys this weekend. BTW, are you guys wanting to fly Saturday or Sunday or both?

LOL hell yeah I called Fedex and raised a ruckus and they agreed to have it waiting for me at their facility tonight - hopped in the lovewagon and picked it up. just got back at 2030.

Charging up as we speak! woot

As for when to Fly, if Wx looks good I wanna try both days. Know this is prob. not practical for you Mike but no matter what we'll have fun i'm sure.

Josh

Capt Easy
12-31-2009, 04:09 AM
Josh - Glad you were able to pick up the DX7 ...despite the difficulty with FedEx. YOur airbrush will be ready to return withmy gratitude.

As far as flying goes I'm up for both Sat and Sun.

Mike - if you want I'll plan on you RON - up to your schedule. Those axels are a very common item that most hobby shops should carry. They're axels for wire gear...mine came from Hobbytown USA and were made my Great Planes - $4-5. Make sure you take your gear with you and get the right dia.
I'm going to use them on my Spit. Easy to adjust height and toe-in/out....you'll like em. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXK183&P=8
Tower seems they only list one size but I know there is more than that.

Air Scoops? Right now I'm scooping Bluebell Moo-llennium Crunch. And doing a masterful job of it too.

Later doods

Angler-Hi
12-31-2009, 04:54 AM
Glad it worked out for ya Josh. Have you tried her out to see if she's good to go? Kind of anxious to see where my DX7 stands as far as range checks.

I'll definitely be down this weekend! Keep an eye on the weather and let me know the best day...hopefully Saturday. I'm ready to fly already! Everytime I plan on getting out to conduct some refreshers on landing, the wife has to go to work or SOMETHING. Can't wait to get this new truck come tax return, lol.

Well, I have the wings, vertical and horizontal stabs painted with the base coat of metallic purple. I also have one side of the fuse done. Need more paint and Wal-Mart doesn't have it...gonna have to go hit up Hobby Lobby tomorrow to get a few more bottles. Not sure if I wanna go with black tiger stripes or silver...was thinking about silver because I like the idea of the stripes blending in, rather than being so destinctive. I'll do a test run on both scenarios.

groundrushesup
12-31-2009, 06:20 AM
Glad it worked out for ya Josh. Have you tried her out to see if she's good to go? Kind of anxious to see where my DX7 stands as far as range checks.

I'll definitely be down this weekend! Keep an eye on the weather and let me know the best day...hopefully Saturday. I'm ready to fly already! Everytime I plan on getting out to conduct some refreshers on landing, the wife has to go to work or SOMETHING. Can't wait to get this new truck come tax return, lol.

Well, I have the wings, vertical and horizontal stabs painted with the base coat of metallic purple. I also have one side of the fuse done. Need more paint and Wal-Mart doesn't have it...gonna have to go hit up Hobby Lobby tomorrow to get a few more bottles. Not sure if I wanna go with black tiger stripes or silver...was thinking about silver because I like the idea of the stripes blending in, rather than being so destinctive. I'll do a test run on both scenarios.

Nah, no range tests as yet, tonight I just did the grunt work of Xferring all my active birds to the new Tx - now I need to bind them and range check, etc.

Charged up the NiMH in my new DX7 and put it in yours, Mike - it also comes with this nifty foam spacer for the battery now - one of those things you wonder why they didn't do on the original runs - anyways, that's yours, too - my LiPO is too big for it.

I wiped all of _my_ planes from your Tx too. Clean as a whistle. First thing we can do on Sat. is range checks - I wanna see how much better your F-16's AR7000 does compared to the 6100's I have.

As far as paint goes - have you ever tried Createx? I love the stuff. Great metallics too. Hobby Lobby sells a good spread, so does Michael's.

Signing off,

Josh

max2112
12-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi guys. Just me the lurker-fromacross-pond checking in.:p>

Good luck on the maiden, Mike! I'm sure you're gonna ace it.

Josh, I bought a Cellpro 4S from MurocFlyer here on the board and I'm pretty stoked about getting it. I always remembered how much you liked yours. I figure even when I upsize, I'll always have a need to charge 3 cell pollies.

Dick, I'm glad to see that you're on the mend.:) Thanks for the recent picture posts. Their are some really good shots in there!

Happy New Years guys!!
Sherry says Hi to everyone!:ws:

Angler-Hi
12-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi guys. Just me the lurker-fromacross-pond checking in.:p>

Good luck on the maiden, Mike! I'm sure you're gonna ace it.

Josh, I bought a Cellpro 4S from MurocFlyer here on the board and I'm pretty stoked about getting it. I always remembered how much you liked yours. I figure even when I upsize, I'll always have a need to charge 3 cell pollies.

Dick, I'm glad to see that you're on the mend.:) Thanks for the recent picture posts. Their are some really good shots in there!

Happy New Years guys!!
Sherry says Hi to everyone!:ws:

HI SHERRY!!!!!! Thanks John, I'm sure everything will be just fine with the maiden. Glad to see you back on here! Are you working on anything yet, AKA, a build? Still wanting to see that Diablo get built, lol....no rush, no pressure, lol.

Angler-Hi
12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Nah, no range tests as yet, tonight I just did the grunt work of Xferring all my active birds to the new Tx - now I need to bind them and range check, etc.

Charged up the NiMH in my new DX7 and put it in yours, Mike - it also comes with this nifty foam spacer for the battery now - one of those things you wonder why they didn't do on the original runs - anyways, that's yours, too - my LiPO is too big for it.

I wiped all of _my_ planes from your Tx too. Clean as a whistle. First thing we can do on Sat. is range checks - I wanna see how much better your F-16's AR7000 does compared to the 6100's I have.

As far as paint goes - have you ever tried Createx? I love the stuff. Great metallics too. Hobby Lobby sells a good spread, so does Michael's.

Signing off,

Josh

Sounds good Josh, thanks man. Never tried Createx. I didn't really notice that brand at Hobby Lobby. I'll have to take a look. I'm actually headed out here in a few minutes to go up there. I ran out of paint last night, lol. I'm gonna check the weather later for Fredericksburg and see if Saturday's lookin good.

Angler-Hi
12-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Guys, the paint work on the Twister is coming together flawlessly!! I wouldn't be anywhere close to where I'm at right now if I didn't have this new compressor and spray gun!!

I went to Hobby Lobby this morning and picked up some more paint. I also picked up a really nice dragon stencil that I'm gonna be airbrushing on top of the two wings. I also have a smaller one I'm gonna put on one side of the vertical stab.

The top of the plane is going to be metallic purple with the two dragons on the wings in metallic black. The bottom of the wings will be done in black as well. I'll take some pics later when I get a bit more done. Can't wait to see this beauty in the air!!

Capt Easy
12-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a really interesting paint job Mike....I know you're excited about it. We'll be looking forward to seeing it and the maiden.
Saturday? Sunday? Saturday and Sunday?

Angler-Hi
12-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a really interesting paint job Mike....I know you're excited about it. We'll be looking forward to seeing it and the maiden.
Saturday? Sunday? Saturday and Sunday?

LOL...whenever, lol. I decided not to go with the tiger stripes because I'm liking the stenciled dragons much better. The tiger stripes would be a bit much and I think they would clash with the stencil. I tried to take a few pics, but they just don't do it justice man! Hopefully I can get it outside and snap a few in better light.

I have one more coat for the fuse to do and then straight to the stencil work. I was thinking about adding some of those RC lights to the wing tips. I may even go with the LED strips and put them on the underside of the wings. Gonna order some more cool stuff from HC. I'm not placing any orders though, until my watt meter gets here. More to follow....

groundrushesup
12-31-2009, 09:00 PM
OMG listen to this:

There was a huge mixup in my onboarding paperwork and it looks like I won't be starting my position until 1/11/2010 instead of 1/04/2010. So it looks like I will have an unpaid week off before the new job starts. As screwed up as it is pay-wise I think I can take the hit, and I will enjoy the down time for sure! ahahaha

Not sure what the deal is with this yet, still developing.

Angler-Hi
12-31-2009, 09:02 PM
OMG listen to this:

There was a huge mixup in my onboarding paperwork and it looks like I won't be starting my position until 1/11/2010 instead of 1/04/2010. So it looks like I will have an unpaid week off before the new job starts. As screwed up as it is pay-wise I think I can take the hit, and I will enjoy the down time for sure! ahahaha

Not sure what the deal is with this yet, still developing.

Want me to clip em in the throat? Hope it works out for you Josh, really do.

groundrushesup
12-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Want me to clip em in the throat? Hope it works out for you Josh, really do.

Oh yeah, the job is not in doubt at all man, its just paperwork. Frankly I can coast a week because I am going to paid-forward salary as of the 01/15.

Oh no, PLEASE don't make me wear pajamas untill 10am every day for a WEEK and get all the RC projects I have been neglecting done in the interim!

Heavens NO!!! lawls

Angler-Hi
12-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Oh yeah, the job is not in doubt at all man, its just paperwork. Frankly I can coast a week because I am going to paid-forward salary as of the 01/15.

Oh no, PLEASE don't make me wear pajamas untill 10am every day for a WEEK and get all the RC projects I have been neglecting done in the interim!

Heavens NO!!! lawls

LOL:Q...I hear ya.

donaldtay
01-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Had to share this with someone. Since I'm from Austin I guess you guys get the "honor" of viewing my latest. Its ugly compared to some of the craftsmanlike work I have seen on this thread. Painted foam and not very smooth at that, but I hope it flys.
This was a difficult and tedious build. Hope the flying goes better. Its very heavy for its size;it feels like a tank.

AUW = 1080 grams with 3s 2800 Mah battery.
Motor is a turnigy-- AerodriveXp SK Series 35-36 1400Kv / 550w
Prop 9.5/8 folding
Seems to have plenty of thrust.

I'm a little scared to put it in the air. I used some of my own modeling techniques. Added carbon fiber rod and substantial amount of fiberglass. it is sturdy. will put it in the air later this weekend when wind stops blowing

Here are some pic:

groundrushesup
01-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Had to share this with someone. Since I'm from Austin I guess you guys get the "honor" of viewing my latest. Its ugly compared to some of the craftsmanlike work I have seen on this thread. Painted foam and not very smooth at that, but I hope it flys.
This was a difficult and tedious build. Hope the flying goes better. Its very heavy for its size;it feels like a tank.

AUW = 1080 grams with 3s 2800 Mah battery.
Motor is a turnigy-- AerodriveXp SK Series 35-36 1400Kv / 550w
Prop 9.5/8 folding
Seems to have plenty of thrust.

I'm a little scared to put it in the air. I used some of my own modeling techniques. Added carbon fiber rod and substantial amount of fiberglass. it is sturdy. will put it in the air later this weekend when wind stops blowing

Here are some pic:

Lol looks sharp to me man, especially compared to my former chuck glider ahahah it was held together by hot glue and hope! :Q

Here's a post with some pics when the paint was fresh http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=607925&postcount=155

http://vimeo.com/4911074 here it is in action before it got beaten up by a lockout

Main thin is guesstimating the CG right, maybe a short flight with a friend tossing it to get the CG dead on balls, and then go for it. That motor /prop combo should get you plenty of power, too.

Good luck and report back ASAP!

Angler-Hi
01-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Looks good Donald. Let us know how it goes man! If nayone could guide you with advice on flying "heavy", it would be Groundrushesup. As I recall, his Hotliner was a heavy little thing but it flew fine until the wind grabbed it or something. Good luck with the maiden friend. We should all get together and fly sometime.

Mike

groundrushesup
01-01-2010, 04:01 AM
Happy New Years, Friends. 2010. The Oughts, man they came and went.

I'm off to have a few beers and participate in some pyrotechnics!

Josh

Angler-Hi
01-01-2010, 04:12 AM
Happy New Years, Friends. 2010. The Oughts, man they came and went.

I'm off to have a few beers and participate in some pyrotechnics!

Josh

Happy New Years to you too Josh...Dick...John...Donald. Still working on the paint for the Twister:blah:. I wanted to hand paint some of the details, but it doesn't cover very well over the other paint????. Same brand acrylics. Just gonna shoot it with another (final) coat of purple, then seal it with polyurethane. She's lookin real good though. I'll post pics of the finished product tomorrow morning.

Angler-Hi
01-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Well I decided that the black on the bottom of the wings would be too much as far as orientation in the air...so, I went with metallic silver instead. The final coats are drying right now, then when they're dry, I'm gonna coat her with oil-modified water based polyurethane. Going with a glossy finish and protectant. I'll post pics later this morning as soon as I get her done and finally assembled.

Capt Easy
01-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Donald, I think GRU had some good advice there...confirm where your CG is located and go from there.....looks like youv'e plenty good power. Let us know how it goes.

I'm wondering if Gibson's (AKA Ace Hardware) is open today - excellent source for modeling suppies if you know where to look. I need to visit the Craft Shop too.

HNY you crazy kids...winds look like they have faded away and I may try to fly later but I'm in Kerrville right now visiting friends.

Tomorrow looks great for flying......

Angler-Hi
01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Donald, I think GRU had some good advice there...confirm where your CG is located and go from there.....looks like youv'e plenty good power. Let us know how it goes.

I'm wondering if Gibson's (AKA Ace Hardware) is open today - excellent source for modeling suppies if you know where to look. I need to visit the Craft Shop too.

HNY you crazy kids...winds look like they have faded away and I may try to fly later but I'm in Kerrville right now visiting friends.

Tomorrow looks great for flying......

Yeah, just tried to call you at home. Have fun man. See you guys tomorrow. BTW, what's a good time for me to show up Dick? I'd like to hit the field before the wind starts to pick up.

Josh, what time do you think you'll be there? I have no idea what you guys are shooting for as far as time. Hadn't really heard anything about it.

donaldtay
01-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I maidened the Blizzard about an hour ago and it went well. It is very fast.
Faster than anything i have ever flown. I never opened it up. I was too scared to. Got it up made a few circles and brought it down for a good landing. I will try it again tomorrow. Might need a stouter ESC to go all out

Angler-Hi
01-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Faster than anything i have ever flown. I never opened it up. I was too scared to. Got it up made a few circles and brought it down for a good landing. I will try it again tomorrow. Might need a stouter ESC to go all out

Congrads on the maiden Donald!! So you think you need a larger ESC? How many amps are you pulling with her?

Mike

donaldtay
01-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Congrads on the maiden Donald!! So you think you need a larger ESC? How many amps are you pulling with her?

Mike

I don't know-- I used a 2200 3s 25c with a cheap hobby-city "simple" 30 amp ESC The motor will take a lot more even a 4s. I just bought the Watts up meter last week but have not soldered on the connectors or really read up on how to use it.

Angler-Hi
01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't know-- I used a 2200 3s 25c with a cheap hobby-city "simple" 30 amp ESC The motor will take a lot more even a 4s. I just bought the Watts up meter last week but have not soldered on the connectors or really read up on how to use it.

Ok, gotcha.

Angler-Hi
01-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Well here's a few pics of what I have so far. Sorry about some of them being a bit blurry...

groundrushesup
01-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow Mike that looks sweet! Can't wait to see it fly tomorrow!

Angler-Hi
01-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow Mike that looks sweet! Can't wait to see it fly tomorrow!

Thanks man. I can't wait to see her fly either. I'm using a Hitec Rx which is a bit bulky:blah:. Even though the battery bay is fairly large, the battery takes up most of it. Still need to attach the control rods and secure the fan unit hatch. I REALLY need to get some more Rxs for my DX7...they're so much smaller and easier to work around.

The paint on the canopy started to peel on me when removing the tape...I even stuck the tape to my fleece jacket until it was barely sticky. Just enough to be a bit tacky and that's it! Not happy with the canopy where I had to touch it up by hand:mad:.

Capt Easy
01-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Josh - Mike arv here 0700....

groundrushesup
01-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Josh - Mike arv here 0700....

Got any pics? Or are you busy putting velcro on your batteries? :Q

Capt Easy
01-03-2010, 03:02 AM
Angler-Hi and I arv about 0830 and GRU followed shortly. The first half of the morning .....winds calm to L&V. Then some unforecast nasty little gusts and x-winds began to make it real sporty.

Capt Easy
01-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Winds really were not that strong but the gusts were unpleasant combined with the x-winds.

GRU offered to let Angler fly his Corsair and some of the pics came out really nice.

The Ryan never flew due winds but did manage to sport a little, quite feastive, Winter bouquet.

max2112
01-03-2010, 01:30 PM
HI SHERRY!!!!!! Thanks John, I'm sure everything will be just fine with the maiden. Glad to see you back on here! Are you working on anything yet, AKA, a build? Still wanting to see that Diablo get built, lol....no rush, no pressure, lol.

Yeah, man I know what you mean. My RC situation is all jacked up at the moment. I have found several places that I could fly at. But the kicker is I don't have any batteries! The moving company wouldn't pack them and my brother back home is having a really hard time trying to mail them here to my APO address. So for now at least, I'm grounded until I buy some new batteries.
I may try and mail a box to myself later this month when I'm back in the states for training. I might just pick them up from my brothers and give them to you!:D I also thought about using this as an opportunity to go to A123 batteries. I dunno.

I do have a lot of projects, though.
1. I bought an E-flite 46 motor for the Diablo, so she's one step closer.:tc:
2. I have a GWS C-47 that I have painted OD green and I have two E-flite 400s and ESCs already set aside.
3. I have a mini ugly stik ARF that will replace the foam one I had. No parts needed there.
4. I have a really nice balsa kit for a 47" P-51 from HoB that I bought from Grasshopper a while back.
5. I have the HL JAS-39 Gripen that is ready to be built.
6. And my Christmas present this year was another kit. This one is a 52" Ryans' Daughter kit from Manzano (http://www.manzanolaser.com/id75.html) Laser works. I can tell you, Charlie delivers a wonderful product. This kit really shines. :)

Capt Easy
01-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Mornin' John....well, it is here.

Too bad about your batteries, it must be frustrating. Mike's on his way here as I type or at least I think so, he must be running late ...I hope the winds aren't to bad after him driving all the way here.
Temps forecast in the 50's - winds 5-10mph....right.

I'vre been givint that HK Spitfire a complete makeover - you won't reckognize it.

I'm interested in seeing tht C-47.

Later pard, have a good one.
Dick

max2112
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Dick,
Many Thanks - as always- for posting up the flying pictures from yesterday. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

You know you're flying in hill country when a mini-tumbleweed hits your plane!:D

Josh, Mi hermano! How's tricks boss? Coincidentally, I had the same NewYears Eve plans as you: Beer and fireworks!:) How's the DX-7 doing? Good as new I hope. How long did it take to re-program all of your models?

Later Gaters!

max2112
01-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Mornin' John....
Too bad about your batteries, it must be frustrating. Mike's on his way here as I type...I hope the winds aren't to bad after him driving all the way here.
Temps forecast in the 50's - winds 5-10mph....right.

I'vre been givint that HK Spitfire a complete makeover - you won't reckognize it.

I'm interested in seeing tht C-47.

Later pard, have a good one.
Dick
Thanks Dick! I will try and do her justice. I still remember your long-time connection to the Gooney Birds!:)

Please tell the gang I said "Hello & I wish I could be there!"
John

max2112
01-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Donald,
Congrats on the successful maiden flight!
I used to live right up the road at Ft Hood near Angler-Hi. Have you got any more flights in?

John

Capt Easy
01-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Today was much improved with very little wind compared to yesterday.

The Angler maiden his Twister and was very pleased with it as well as his favorite F-16. Sky conditions consisted of solid gray overcast and the camo on his F-4 worked real well causing an few anxious seconds due to loss of orientation but he did a great job and got her down okay.

A former F-84 Thunderjet fighter jock visiting from Alaska stopped by and watched us fly for a while and we swapped a few stories. Sorry I didn't think to get any pics of him.

Here's the days photos...there's also some video of the F-4. The focus is intermintent but otherwise not too bad.

Angler-Hi
01-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Got any pics? Or are you busy putting velcro on your batteries? :Q

LOL:Q...you KNOW it:Q!

Yeah, man I know what you mean. My RC situation is all jacked up at the moment. I have found several places that I could fly at. But the kicker is I don't have any batteries! The moving company wouldn't pack them and my brother back home is having a really hard time trying to mail them here to my APO address. So for now at least, I'm grounded until I buy some new batteries.
I may try and mail a box to myself later this month when I'm back in the states for training. I might just pick them up from my brothers and give them to you!:D I also thought about using this as an opportunity to go to A123 batteries. I dunno.

I do have a lot of projects, though.
1. I bought an E-flite 46 motor for the Diablo, so she's one step closer.:tc:
2. I have a GWS C-47 that I have painted OD green and I have two E-flite 400s and ESCs already set aside.
3. I have a mini ugly stik ARF that will replace the foam one I had. No parts needed there.
4. I have a really nice balsa kit for a 47" P-51 from HoB that I bought from Grasshopper a while back.
5. I have the HL JAS-39 Gripen that is ready to be built.
6. And my Christmas present this year was another kit. This one is a 52" Ryans' Daughter kit from Manzano (http://www.manzanolaser.com/id75.html) Laser works. I can tell you, Charlie delivers a wonderful product. This kit really shines. :)

John, it sounds like you have your work cut out for you man;-). Good luck with the Diablo...looking forward to the Ryan build too!! Hope you get your battery issue worked friend. As always, say hi to Sherry and the kids for us.

Today was much improved with very little wind compared to yesterday.

The Angler maiden his Twister and was very pleased with it as well as his favorite F-16. Sky conditions consisted of solid gray overcast and the camo on his F-4 worked real well causing an few anxious seconds due to loss of orientation but he did a great job and got her down okay.

A former F-84 Thunderjet fighter jock visiting from Alaska stopped by and watched us fly for a while and we swapped a few stories. Sorry I didn't think to get any pics of him.

Here's the days photos...there's some video too if I can edit it otherwise it'll be a bit tedious.

Thanks for the bio of today Dick...but you're being modest. I broke the nose wheel off of the F-4 today. I lost orientation like four times while in front of the tree line. The ailerons were responsive enough, but the darn elevator seemed as if it had expo programmed in. I know it didn't, but it was nowhere near the level of sensitivity I'm used to! It seemed like it took forever to get the elevator to do what I wanted it to. NOT HAPPY! I have to order a new nose wheel...other than that there was no damge.

As Dick said, I maidened the Twister today and was very happy with it:silly:. She has plenty of power and quite sensitive, which I like. She did want to wobble from side to side when gliding in for the landing...did it twice. I don't know why she did that. At first I thought the battery came loose from the velcro, but it was still very secure??? I need to do a few more test flights and glides to see if I can isolate the problem.

Here's a few pics of this morning...at least until my camera batts died.

donaldtay
01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Donald,
Congrats on the successful maiden flight!
I used to live right up the road at Ft Hood near Angler-Hi. Have you got any more flights in?

John

Have had two more flights. The Blizzard is awesome. I am replacing the ESC because it was too small and failed in my last flight. I just got a watt meter and will have to figure out how to use it. I have some work to do on the plane to get it in the air again.

Angler-Hi
01-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Have had two more flights. The Blizzard is awesome. I am replacing the ESC because it was too small and failed in my last flight. I just got a watt meter and will have to figure out how to use it. I have some work to do on the plane to get it in the air again.

Hey Donald, what kind of wattmeter do you have? I'm still waiting on mine to get here from HobbyCity. You plug one side into your battery and the other into your ESC...basically it's hooked up between the two.

So, when you gonna come fly with us, lol?

donaldtay
01-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Hey Donald, what kind of wattmeter do you have? I'm still waiting on mine to get here from HobbyCity. You plug one side into your battery and the other into your ESC...basically it's hooked up between the two.

So, when you gonna come fly with us, lol?

I got the watts up from hobby city. From your explantion about its use, the motor is just left plugged into the ESC? and then you juice it up?

Well I have already ordered the replacment parts to fix my Blizzard. It looks like you guy do all your flying in Fredricksburg. I love the place. when i get a couple of planes airworthy i will ck this site and come over for some flying.
I usually come to Fredricksburg every spring for a weekend to ride bikes on the Willow city loop and around town. I will bring my planes this time too!!

rea59
01-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Angler-Hi,

For those of you just getting a Watt meter you'll find it's your best friend. I have found on a couple of occasions that my peak current was more than my battery could supply. (IE: 1300mah times 20C equals 26 Amps the max the battery can supply) I've learned to use batteries with about 20% overhead from what I need and the power the motor produces is so much better.
As you get used to using one you may want to step up to plotting the curves for different combinations of motor/prop. I have for all of my motors and props so I can quickly decide on a power system for a given plane (when looking at the ads for new planes;-)). This is the one I'm using Power Pro (http://www.medusaproducts.com/Power-Analyzers/pa-60100R.htm).
Good Luck, You guys have entered a new realm of electric flight.

Capt Easy
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Angler-Hi,

For those of you just getting a Watt meter you'll find it's your best friend. I have found on a couple of occasions that my peak current was more than my battery could supply. (IE: 1300mah times 20C equals 26 Amps the max the battery can supply) I've learned to use batteries with about 20% overhead from what I need and the power the motor produces is so much better.
As you get used to using one you may want to step up to plotting the curves for different combinations of motor/prop. I have for all of my motors and props so I can quickly decide on a power system for a given plane (when looking at the ads for new planes;-)). This is the one I'm using Power Pro (http://www.medusaproducts.com/Power-Analyzers/pa-60100R.htm).
Good Luck, You guys have entered a new realm of electric flight.

Thanks for your input rea59. Sounds like a good way to approach electric power especiall for electrically challenged pilots like me.

Dick

Capt Easy
01-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I got the watts up from hobby city. From your explantion about its use, the motor is just left plugged into the ESC? and then you juice it up?

Well I have already ordered the replacment parts to fix my Blizzard. It looks like you guy do all your flying in Fredricksburg. I love the place. when i get a couple of planes airworthy i will ck this site and come over for some flying.
I usually come to Fredricksburg every spring for a weekend to ride bikes on the Willow city loop and around town. I will bring my planes this time too!!

We'll be looking forward to you're joing us sometime.
What kind of bike do you ride?
Dick

donaldtay
01-04-2010, 07:38 PM
We'll be looking forward to you're joing us sometime.
What kind of bike do you ride?
Dick
Your probably thinking Harley and I talking about Schwinn pedal powered!!!