PDA

View Full Version : GP Polycharge4

JFGrn
07-20-2005, 08:58 PM
I just picked up one of the new Geat Planes Poly Charge4's last week. I must
say that I'm very Impressed. (1-4 cell series packs up to 3amps per output)
First it's housed in a all metal case.:) making it a good choice to take to the
field.
Second, It's ease of use.
And really the Main reason. The separate charging outputs saving me alot of CHARGING TIME.

One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't charge to full capacity.
ie: 2s, instead of peaking at 8.4v it will peak at 8.3v. Which to be fair
my Astro 109 will peak at around 8.38 or so.
As far as flight time lost. I haven't noticed an effect.

Another thing is I've heard is that it wouldn't be able to handle charging
four 4s packs at 3 amps each. but that should not be a issue with most
of us parkflyers. (I only have up to 3s pack's most in the 450mAh to
2200 mAh range.)

John

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Very interested in a new charger for my lipos. What is the cost of this charger? Is the charge rate completely variable or is it in steps? How many packs at a time can be charged? Is there a link anywhere to this item for purchase?

JFGrn
07-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Very interested in a new charger for my lipos. What is the cost of this charger? Is the charge rate completely variable or is it in steps? How many packs at a time can be charged? Is there a link anywhere to this item for purchase?

Hi Reformed,

Here's a link to the charger on the GP site.

http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3015.html

It's completely variable, but one thing. It has mAh points marked out but you can
dial between those points. ie: one point is lets say 1000, and the next is 1500.
so if you dial in the middle of the two it should be 1250.

There are four individual chargers in one box. so four packs.

I got mine from Hobby People for $99.00 US

John

olereo
07-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the info, John. I've been interested in that charger as well. Actually, I hope more info on other chargers shows up.

Reese

NimbleGimbal
07-21-2005, 06:09 AM
A friend of mine has one of these chargers, very nice, my only gripe would be the lack of cell selection, and it takes the charger some time to recognize the amt of cells... other chargers have a button for cell selection, and still check the cell count much faster... but, since I did'nt pay for it, and its always available to mooch a charge when my ICE is busy charging a nimh or other lipo, you can't beat it :)

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 02:15 PM
nimble - how long is the delay for cell selection? Are we talking a breif pause, or several minutes?

NimbleGimbal
07-21-2005, 06:27 PM
I haven't actually timed it, but it is more than a brief pause, but less than several minutes, next time I use it ill keep an eye on it...

JFGrn
07-21-2005, 06:28 PM
nimble - how long is the delay for cell selection? Are we talking a breif pause, or several minutes?

Mine has detected the cell count within a few seconds to about a minute.
Which to me, isn't that bad.

The main reason I got this charger is that I do most of my charging at home.
A few weeks ago before I had this charger, our local field had a EP funfly.
Most of my batteries at the time where discharged.(I have a bunch). It took
me about three evenings after work to charge most of them.(Astro 109,and
Apache 1500) Even then I still didn't have all the packs ready for the event.:o

Now with this charger. I won't have ths problem anymore.

John

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Sounds like this needs to be on my list!

Unbalanced prop
08-08-2005, 02:06 PM
I will make a positive vote for this charger. I also would like to have a cell selector, but so far it has always selected the correct number of cells for me. It would also be nice if the fan only ran while the charger was charging. This charger takes a five hour charging job and makes it about an hour. Very :cool: and IMHO well worth the price. Got mine at Towerhobby.

Doug

rcers
08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I don't have one yet, but all by flying buddies do. Now I don't have to get one, because I can always slum a port off them! HA! :D

Great charger. it will be my next charger purchase.

Mike

johnathan
08-08-2005, 11:09 PM
I have owned mine for 6 or so weeks now. I love it and so does rcers when he flys with us ha ha. The delay of cell selection changes with the voltage of the cells. The lower voltage of the pack the longer it takes to select cell count. Never more than a couple of min. for me. I knew the day I read the add in the AMA mag that this was what I was looking for. If you have 5 packs or more you can fly all day and not miss a lick with this charger. It won't replace my Astro 109 but it sure has enhanced my time at the flying field ! Johnathan

Cub_Flyer
08-09-2005, 01:49 AM
I also have had this charger for about 6 weeks now and i am quite please with it ive been waiting on baited breath for it to come out and when my LHS got one in i bought the first one they had

Cub

dmgadway
08-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Will this charger handle my thunder power 4200 mah 3s pack? The advertisment said it has a capacity up to 3000mah. Or is that the highest charge current it has(3 amps)? I would buy one if It would charge my packs. Maybe it would just take alittle longer at 3 amps.

Crash Test Dummy
08-14-2005, 04:09 AM
Thats a very good question. Anybody got the answer?

CTD
Will this charger handle my thunder power 4200 mah 3s pack? The advertisment said it has a capacity up to 3000mah. Or is that the highest charge current it has(3 amps)? I would buy one if It would charge my packs. Maybe it would just take alittle longer at 3 amps.

trogdor
08-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Sure it'll charge it. It maxes at 3amps so it'll be slower than say an astro 109 which can go to 4.2amps but it'll still work just at a slower pace... it would charge a 10,000 mah 4s pack, it'd just take awhile at 3 amps is all.

Cub_Flyer
08-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Thats absolutely right Trog it will charge them fine ive used mine on a 4cell 5600 it just takes a while

dmgadway
08-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Excellent! I'll go down to the LHS this week and get one! Thanks for the help!

Cub_Flyer
08-16-2005, 06:55 AM
No problem anything to promote the shareing of knowledge and wisdom

Cub