PDA

View Full Version : 8' Unionville DHC-2 Turbo Beaver kit bash

MaxAdventure
12-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Background:
Firstly, while I have always enjoyed a build, my most recent planes have been scratch foam, given to me, or ARFs. It been close to 20 years since I opened a new box to build a plane. I started in R/C when ARFs were a new concept and managed to build two basic trainers, one stand off scale cessna, a couple of ace 1/2A kits, a Kougar and a biplane. (and a few assorted small projects) I feel it's long past time to try and glue my fingers to a spar again....

Why the Beaver:
I've had a fascination with bush planes and pilots for decades. This is how I ended up with my L4 on floats from a great planes 1/6th cub kit in '89. When I started getting serious on electrics a few years ago I thought of an e powered Beaver counterpart to my glow Cub. I shrugged off the idea as I pursued other projects until I was looking to scale up my current 1300W tow plane. The current rage seems to be 1/4 scale PC-6 Porters, however I hate to follow a crowd and I just can't handle the cost of a 1/4 scale arf. I ended up full circle in considering the Beaver when the Unionville 1/6 kit offered me a pretty good compromise on my ideal. I had to do the turbo to show up the PC-6 crowd! Well, when I finally decided this was the kit, and this was the time (putting off a couple of other builds) I found it out of stock at the few places you can find it. GreatHobbies has always been a favorite of mine, and I patiently waited until they said they expected back in stock. Several weeks later I dug up Unionvilles contact information to inquire when I could order it from GreatHobbies, however by the time I was off the phone, I had a kit on the way!

Manufacture Specifications:
Span - 96"
Weight - 9½ to 10 lbs
Motor - 2cycle .60 -.90, 4cycle .90 - 1.20
Control - 5ch, 5servo (box says four, but it does have flaps)

My Build Specifications:
Span - (same)
Weight - 14.5lbs
Motor - TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 63-74 240Kv on 12S 5Ah
Control - 6ch, 7servo (flight systems)

I've gone back and forth on how much scale detail. For a while I thought I was going 100%, not that the Unionville kits are known for their scale lines. The Mr Aerodesign is the kit for that, just more cost than I could handle. Well, I think I've settled on 'let's get close, but forget panel lines and rivets!' With that, I'll be deviating from the plans in several areas.

First Impressions:
The kit has some good comments on a few threads, and seems popular as a starting point to work it into the kind of kit that you want it to be. There are three rolled sheets and as a bonus included the plans for floats, although not the wood. There is one 8x14 instruction packet, an update sheet for splicing wood (due to smaller packaging to reduce shipping), and one Unionville catalog. The one thing I noticed right away was some pretty amazing balsa. Never going far down the FF path I'd heard of but not held 'contest grade' balsa before. While not perfectly consistent, there is quite a bit of very straight, very light balsa in this kit! Even the denser pieces seem a grade or two above what you can find at the local hobby/craft store. The main spars and other structural pieces were good and solid. No glossy label on the box, no fancy bound manual with photos, but some of the best balsa I can remember ever holding in 30 years! Moving further, there are a lot of pre-cut pieces including the tail assembly, support blocks, and the wing webbing. The hardware package I would rate as 'standard', with nylon molded hinges, nylon clevises, nylon bell cranks etc. My first dissapointment was the fiberglass cowling. It was built with a thick layer of mat rather than cloth that has been loosely molded allowing quite a bit of resin. The weight is substantial and while I think it would hold up fairly well in a nose-over, I fear it will be brittle with the resin. The kit does include one lexan window set, although I haven't quite pictured how that one piece becomes all the turbo windows - I'll save a closer look for when I'm finishing the fuse.

http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6224

MaxAdventure
12-06-2009, 06:17 AM
My goal is to get the deep Frise hinge of the real beaver:
http://www.dhc-2.com/566_6-9701_Christian%20Waser_3022006_565.jpg
So rather than follow a pretty standard wedge gap hinge, I've elected to add some balsa to the wing trailing edge for an overhang and to the control surface top and bottom right behind the (now vertacle) leading spar. This allows me to round the control surface and build a matching convex pocket for it on the wing trailing edge. The next hurdle is the hinges, which I haven't found any control horns that reach far enough back so I'm attempting to build them from carbon fiber. Here's the start of the wings:

MaxAdventure
12-07-2009, 05:20 PM
So, I've started in on the hinges. I'm posting a pic of the plan so you can see how much I'm deviating from what Unionville intended. I picked up a couple of different sizes of Carbon Fiber (lets just say CF from now on) and I think I can use some small stuff and have enough strength, and a more scale look. The problem is when I drill them - I found a diamond coated 1/16 sharp grinding tip works best - it only leaves a very little material to keep the hinge pin from tearing out with heavy loads. I haven't done destructive testing yet, but I will before final assembly. My solution was to put an even dozen wraps of Kevlar thread bonded with thin cyanoacrylate (let's just say CA from now on). You can see in the photo three more or less done on the left, one currently curing, and two waiting for Kevlar on the right. These are the three hinges for the right flap. My hinge pins are 2mm bolts - also being used to hold my washer 'former' in place for the thread wrap. Also, I've started the servo mount plates. I decided to make the large enough for standard servos even though I'd like to use mini - I haven't actually committed on servo selection yet. I really like the idea of mounting the servo on the 'door' to the servo compartment. I'll be minimizing the linkages and running wire extensions to the servos. This seems to work well for my larger sailplanes and should minimize linkage slop. I plan on getting the right flap functioning before I commit the time to the other three wing surfaces. I also need to get the landing lights mounted before I sheet the leading edge. You can see where I'm cutting down a small spot light to mount in the wing. Hopefully I can stay on schedule, however I'll be taking a break today (took the day off) to finish another project

PaperAirplane
12-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Subscribed! It looks great so far!

dmarko
12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Subscribed.
I am in the process of building a Stinson Voyager and will be really excited to see your progress on the Beaver.

David in Naples

rcers
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Love my eFlite Beaver - looking good!

Mike

BradT
12-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Max, I think you will enjoy both the build, and the flying qualities of your Turbo Beaver. About 10 years ago, I chose the Unionville electric 1/8 DH 2 Beaver as my 3rd kit build, and really enjoyed the build process. As you say, not really scale, but obviously a Beaver, nontheless. Mine became my favorite flyer, for over 5 years, and probably 500 flights, before it succumbed to dumb thumbs and gravity. The flaps are definitely worth including, as they add an extra dimension of realism, and fun, to this model. Here's a shot of my old favorite:

MaxAdventure
12-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, I haven't been working very hard on the Beaver. I had an easy trainer design I'd been kicking around in my head I had to build as well as a lot of holiday preparation. I did manage to do an initial test of the power system and it doesn't look good. On 12S I only managed 1700 watts with a 18X12 three blade. My batteries were quite cold so they may have really dropped voltage, but I doubt it would be enough to take me where I want. I'll try again with warm batteries and actually log the whole test rather than just check peak watts. I'm currently considering rewinding the motor to a higher KV, it would be my first motor 'build'. I'm also somewhat waiting on some servos, I still have six on order for the Beaver/general need but I may use some other second hand ones I just picked up I can use to finish the flap and aileron test. Once I get past that, with some more holiday time off, I should start flying again. I doubt I'll make my 1Jan2010 maiden date, but hopefully I can make some good progress in the next seven days.

*rider
12-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Looking good so far! Like the modifications. Subscribed

balsa1
12-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi the frise type hing can be made with robart hing pins you may already know of them but they do come in several sizes . I have used them on a canadian water bomber and a few other projects I have a icon north west beaver While it is IC I have thought of converting it will be interested in what you come up with for power Les

BradT
12-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Max, are you really concerned that you'll have "ONLY" 1700W of power in a 10lb. model? Holy Cow, you should be able to torque roll out of a hover with 170W/lb.! My 6' Beaver weighed 5.5lbs, on wheels, 6.5lbs. on floats, and had about 500W, so a little less than 90W/lb., and would do things that the full scale never could! With 1700W on tap, your model should cruise at 25-30% throttle easily, and take off in a few feet, into a near vertical climb. We're talking about a flying delivery truck here, not a fighter. ;-)
Brad.

flying-barely
12-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Hello maxadventure: Glad to hear your progressing with your Turbo Beaver!
I have just recently finished my 96" Unionville Turbo Beaver, It will be right on 15 lbs RTF!!
Attention: If you deviate even a little (which you have already done), from the original plans, there is NO way this plane comes out at 10 lbs.
I have added 4 servos in the wing (ailerons, flaps) movable front suspension and scale tail wheel, a 9 light system, onboard BEC/battery. i also extended the nose 2 5/8" to achieve scale.
My power system is a Scorpion 4020-16, on 6S/5000mah 20C, spinning a 16/8/3blade MAS prop. I will produce 1833watts max,260 oz thrust,at 82 amps.
Your system making 1700 watts with a bigger prop (more thrust) should still be more than adequate, I think.
What kind of amps is your 12S system pulling with the 18/12/3blade, you may be able to go up in pitch (if available) to get the most from the motor. Is this motor rated for 12S?
When I scaled out the prop sizes, I came up with 15" as scale for the 96" plane, ended up with a 16" to achieve my desired power level. I would prefer a 15/9 or 15/10 three blade, but no-one makes these sizes. I may cut the prop to 15.5 to achieve a slightly lower amp draw (2.3 over max at the moment).:silly:

MaxAdventure
01-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Update time!

To answer a few questions/comments:

About 10 years ago, I chose the Unionville electric 1/8 DH 2 Beaver as my 3rd kit build,... Here's a shot of my old favorite:

As us Beaver lovers, love to say; " Nice beaver!"

Hi the frise type hing can be made with robart hing pins you may already know of them but they do come in several sizes .....

I have seen a thread with a Unionville modified with Robart hinge pins and I thought it was brilliant. I didn't feel I could get the same scale motion though, and chose to build these from scratch.

Max, are you really concerned that you'll have "ONLY" 1700W of power in a 10lb. model?... We're talking about a flying delivery truck here, not a fighter.
Brad.

Two points - as flying-barely indicates, this model will be well past 10lbs. Secondly, the primary purpose I'm building it for is a glider tug. I want the ability to take a 1/4 scale glider to altitude in a few minutes. This is no scale contest entry. 1700 Watts won't be enough for 30+ pounds of glider plus tug - I was planning on at least 3KW and I'll have to rewind the motor to get it.

Hello maxadventure: Glad to hear your progressing with your Turbo Beaver!
I have just recently finished my 96" Unionville Turbo Beaver, It will be right on 15 lbs RTF!!
Attention: If you deviate even a little (which you have already done), from the original plans, there is NO way this plane comes out at 10 lbs.
I have added 4 servos in the wing (ailerons, flaps) movable front suspension and scale tail wheel, a 9 light system, onboard BEC/battery. i also extended the nose 2 5/8" to achieve scale.
My power system is a Scorpion 4020-16, on 6S/5000mah 20C, spinning a 16/8/3blade MAS prop. I will produce 1833watts max,260 oz thrust,at 82 amps.
Your system making 1700 watts with a bigger prop (more thrust) should still be more than adequate, I think.
What kind of amps is your 12S system pulling with the 18/12/3blade, you may be able to go up in pitch (if available) to get the most from the motor. Is this motor rated for 12S?
When I scaled out the prop sizes, I came up with 15" as scale for the 96" plane, ended up with a 16" to achieve my desired power level. I would prefer a 15/9 or 15/10 three blade, but no-one makes these sizes. I may cut the prop to 15.5 to achieve a slightly lower amp draw (2.3 over max at the moment).:silly:

I've been testing an 18"X12" three blade and I just ordered a 20"X12" three blade. I may put this motor in an aerobatic plane at find a higher KV motor to run a smaller prop for the Beaver. No, the motor isn't rated at 12S, however I've read of others running at 12, and so far testing is ok. Worse case scenario I'll just rebuild. I do love the scorpion motors and I'm planning on those for the next project, my Canso. I don't think I'll do scale struts, but I still debating. If I don't, I can save a little weight there. By the way, thanks for all the inspiration on RCCanada and contributing to my thread here!

Okay, the holidays really took away my building time plus I had two new builds/maidens, an MS Swift II (sweet maiden today!) and my trainer concept, in the last couple of weeks so all I managed to do was my stress test of my flap hinges. I set the angles and fiber-glassed them to the ribs. It passed with flying colors so I'll try to cut the rest of the carbon and start gluing the two ailerons and other flap this coming week. Oh, AND had to take advantage of days off with some nice flying weather! Here's the latest photo and one of my last minute Christmas projects:

flying-barely
01-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Hello Maxadventure: Nice to know your keeping yourself busy!!
Happy to hear the hinges worked out, 3KW eh, in am 8 foot Beaver!! You have taken on quite a challenge.
Best of luck, please keep us informed on your progress, lots of people will be interested in your build.

I am kit bashing a 6ft Radial into a Turbo Beaver, Scorpion powered of course. Fuselage is framed up, cowl plug made yesterday. So far it looks like it will work out OK.

wilmracer
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Subscribed! looking great!

balsa1
01-05-2010, 05:11 AM
I built the icon northwest 1\4 scale but it was for IC and while at the time we wern't as conserned about weight on floats it came out at 23# and it flys well on a supertiger 2500 that is not a strong motor by any means and have pulled up gliders in the 100 in range looking good Les

MaxAdventure
02-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Okay, so what have a accomplished in the last month? Getting pretty good at cutting foam wings. What have I accomplished on the Beaver? not too much, but I did finalize the aileron hinges. I really want to be sure I had geometry right before I glassed them in. I wanted to ensure at a minimum I could have the same throws as the full scale:
below are the DHC-2 Beaver rigging angles:

CONTROL ANGLE (http://www.rcuniverse.com/buynow/keywordclick.cfm?bid_id=6986) TOLERANCE REFERENCE
SURFACE (degrees) (degrees) POINT

AILERONS
Up 18 +-2 outboard end
Down 11 +-2
Droop 15 +-1.5
(flaps
fully down)
WING FLAPS
Cruise 0 Inboard wing
flap hinge
Climb -15 +-1
Takeoff -35 +-1
Landing -50 +-2
Full Flap -58 +-2

If I read this right, with the following:
The ailerons also droop as flap is manually pumped down to a
ratio of 1 : 3 and a max. deflection of 15 deg.

This should be true for aileron range at a given flap setting:
Flaps D .... Aileron D ........... Aileron U
0 .............. -11 ..................... 18
-30 ............ - 21 ..................... 8
-58 ........... - 26 ..................... -1

-SO- I finished the control surfaces on the right wing and spent a LOT of time with the programming, to play with the settings. I've started shaping the LE of the left wing control surfaces and corresponding pockets. I'm using the right as a guide, and I hope this week to finish the hinge pieces (they're all cut - just applying the kevlar wrap), mount the servos, finish installing the shear webbing, mount the hinges and by this weekend get the sheeting on both wings.

THEN I can finally start the fuselage and it will look like a plane rather than a pile of balsa! I have a few more photos and I will take some more progress shots this week. I'll try to get a photo update posted before the weekend is through. I'm almost hoping for crappy weather so I'm forced to keep building!

flying-barely
02-01-2010, 09:02 PM
hi Maxadventure: Long time no hear!!

I have included about 10% droop into the ailerons on both my 6 foot and 8 foot Turbo Beavers! Not sure until tested if they'll be used, but they look pretty scale.
I will have to mix flaps to ailerons to make them fully functional, right now, I've left the aileron droop on the flap switch.
It seems the Beavers are the only airplane of their type that have this flap/aileron function from Dehavilland!
please keep us all informed of your progress! flying-barely

I;ll include a picture of the 6 footer, complete except for main wing covering. Awaiting materials!:)

MaxAdventure
02-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Flying-barely, looking good! have any photos of the 6' next to the 8'?

so, here's a photo update:

MaxAdventure
02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I think I'm still on track to get the sheeting done this weekend. I forget how time consuming making the hinges are. In cutting CF I have found the following:

-Cuts great with a Dremel cut-off wheel, cut in front of a running air filter to capture the dust ( I used a shop vac with a dirty filter for finer trapping)
-Grind the ends round with a basic bench grinder, grind with the air filter/vacuum
- diamond bits drill holes best
-file CF over a wet paper towel to capture the dust

to recap the steps for the hinges:

cut the stock to length
grind the ends round
drill the hinge pin holes with the drill jig
bolt on two washers coated in paraffin as Kevlar formers
file a groove for the thread along the top, and across each side under the washer for better adhesion
12 wraps of Kevlar alternating side (tedious)
apply thin CA to the Kevlar wraps
pull the washer formers
compress the 'over wraps' of Kevlar in wax paper and a clamp - CA again
punch 2mm polypropylene washers to cushion the hinge pivots
measure and cut openings for the control surfaces
cut cap strips on the wing
assemble hinges and clamp in place
measure hinge location and align
measure
align
measure
align
when the hinge line is ready, tack in place with CA
test hinges
fiberglass in the hinges

The right wing is done/ready for sheeting, I'm currently working on the hinge manufacturing and hope to start hinge alignment on the left wing today depending on how busy work / family gets.

flying-barely
02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Maxadventure: Glad to see you are progressing with the build, it all looks great.
I have t o agree, also, with the wonder at how long some of these builds take, especially the little parts.
I believe I have something close to 300 hours into the 8 footer, and over 200 in the 6 ft.
I will get some pictures of the two Turbo's and one Radial together, when the weather co-operates, in other words Spring!
Right now, the 6 footer needs the main wing covered to complete, material should be here by Friday. The 8 footer is awaiting finishing paint.
Neither are spec'd out like yours is to be, but I'm happy with them, for my first two builds since 1981.
Please continue to show us all your progress, I for one am looking forward to seeing your build completed.

MaxAdventure
02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Well, it's Friday afternoon and nap time is over, so build time stops while the 3yo is awake.

The last of the hinge component manufacturing is curing. Thanks to some brilliant Canadian help, (thanks!) the strut reinforcement is curing - still need to do the pins.

I've lost some time with a band saw blade break and a last minute change/add to the strut mounts, so it will be tricky to get the sheeting finished this weekend. I have a lot of family stuff planned so not too much RC.

Flying-barley, the more I see your photos, the more I'm worried I won't be able to get as nice a finish, I really like how yours are turning out!

flying-barely
02-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Hi Maxadventure: If Colorado weather is anything like Ontario, you have plenty of time for a spring completion.
Thanks for the compliment on the finish, still needs some skill level improvements, but a smooth surface for covering is the trick from my view. All the vertical stringers aft of the plane centre are recessed on the 6 footer, just like the 8 ft build, to give the appearance of solid aluminum sheet. I have used Ultracote, and really like its qualities of stretch and shrink. It also happens to be lighter than Monocote, so may be a little more fragile. Saving 3-4 ozs on the 6 footer or 10+ozs on the 8ft seems worth it to me!
Keep the build going when you can, I'll check in often. flying-barely

MaxAdventure
02-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, with everything else going on I did manage to get some progress on the wings over the weekend. I didn't get the sheeting on like I planned last weekend when I forgot it was my mom's birthday and we invited her over yesterday... DOH! http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

I'm basically ready to sheet - I went back to radio programming to ensure I did all the hinges correctly and everything looks good.

I really didn't think it all through - which I'd have to say is the norm for me. In Jan I just put together a full house sailplane and used my JR X9303 for that programming with all the fancy camber control (yet to maiden). Well, I took the same approach on the beaver. That means I installed on flap servo backward if I want them on a 'Y' cable, and I'll have to pick up an in-line servo reverser if I don't want to use a channel. Even if I do that, to mix the correct aileron droop as the flaps are lowered (and that's just so cool on the full size, how could I not? and I'm NOT going to try to replicate scale mechanical linkage and end up with more slop than movement!) - I WILL have to put them on separate channels to get them to move opposite on aileron, but in unison on the droop. So, one little thing I want (but haven't brought up) is I intend to put disk brakes on for short field landing, beside I need something interesting mechanically when it doesn't have retracts. SO, there's at least three channels on the wing, plus the rud/ele/thr for another three. Tow release is one, I'm up to 7 and I haven't even added breaks or my other 'suprise', skydiver release. Okay, that's not so important, but I plan on having a lot of fun with this plane, and that means dropping candy and R/C skydivers as well as the sailplane tug, floats and my brake idea.

Well, I also want to run this on my Futaba 9C because I use my 9303 on my non-powered sailplanes, (so I'll be flying a sailplane and someone can tow me with the beaver at the same time) and the only 72mHz RX I own that I trust with this is my Berg 7P - so now I need to source an R149DP. Besides my berg is in my Spit, and I like that one ready to fly. Amazing how easy it is to use up 9 channels. Someday we'll have radios that connect to PCs with USB or bluetooth, run Linux, and have full telemetry with the models. Then I'll upgrade to a 12/14 channel radio for sure! Till then..... I guess I'd better limit my build requirements to 9!

So, the hinging is looking great even though the mixing is all wonky. I'll have to start again with my 9C on the programming. I might just skip ahead and start the fuselage to work through my radio frustration.

Wonder if this will teach me to think ahead on the next build? probably not....
(let's see, PBY has linked ailerons, no flaps, ele, rud, retracts, add the brakes - differential steering so twin throttle. simple, only 7 channels needed! oh, I was going to put on torpedo drops... *sigh*, I'll need a new R921 for that too.

flying-barely
02-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Hello Maxadventure: I didn't try to mix the aileron droop with the flaps! I use the regular flap switch (with flaperons) set to give about 12% droop.
I mounted the flap servos laying the same direction, one is against the outside of the rib,the other against the inside rib, so no reversing required on Y connector. The flaps operate off a 3 position rocker switch on my JR 6102, thats right, 6 channels!! Flaps are mixed with elevator down for stabilization upon deployment. You might be able to see the servo mounting in the second pic.
There may be a way of mixing the aileron flap function with the real flaps,I still have 2 mixes available. My flaps are run off the GEAR channel.
Used a Berg7, to get the extra plug for my 8 amp Bec/2S/2400 mah battery.
BRAKES!! I don't need 'em! I hope!!I'm already surprised at how much I was able to do with the 6102, a friend brought over his 9303 to set up a heli the other day,all I can say I believe you could program this thing to wipe your nose while flying--hehe!!
Both the 8 ft and 6 ft are set up exactly the same way in my radio, they seem to function perfectly, but will likely require fine tuning in the air!

Just have to wait for spring to arrive (a ways off yet).

MaxAdventure
02-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Well, I've started laying out the fuselage. Spent time this week looking at the curve of the full size on the bottom vs the top. Top is good enough for me, but I see now why people say the Unionville is 'too square'. the large radius on the bottom is done with two small radius and a flat, leaving it looking a bit trainer boxy. I haven't decided for sure what to do, but I do know I want to get the real turbo look going to extend the nose. Once again, thanks to flying-barely!

>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytwice http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/images/cyclic/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?p=659543#post659543)
I researched the scale of the nose length on about 20 different Turbo Beavers, almost every plane is different!!.....
I chose to extend the firewall 2 5/8", which was a mid point between 2 1/8" to 3" to get the nose where I wanted it.

perfect! I'll just go with your numbers, I didn't find too much information with my web searches and I don't exactly live in the right place to walk up to them in person!
>>>>>

-I'll see how 2 5/8 vs 2 1/2 look, more for ease of building.

and I picked up a better building surface last night, some clearance ceiling tiles at Lowes! I'll see if I can't get some glue on tonight. Work has gotten busy again, so building slows down.

flying-barely
02-17-2010, 05:17 AM
Hi Maxadventure: As I stated, I move the firewall 2 5/8". I found the CG to be spot on for my build. I made the battery box quite long, thinking the battery may have to move forward.
I f you shortend the firewall measurement, even an 1/8", the battery would move forward slightly to balance, maybe a 1/2". I still have 3" in front of battery, once flying set up has been locked in, I intend to put a blocking plate, so battery will slide in to the stop -- done!
Flying weather is still 2 months away here, I'd have time to do the 8 ft radial, if I could afford it ( not right now!!).
Please keep us informed of your progress, if I can offer any suggestions, or pictures, just let me know.
Remember, every Beaver in the air is two less Cubs!! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
02-17-2010, 05:50 AM
I f you shortend the firewall measurement, even an 1/8", the battery would move forward slightly to balance, maybe a 1/2". I still have 3" in front of battery, once flying set up has been locked in, I intend to put a blocking plate, so battery will slide in to the stop -- done!

Great idea on securing the battery! Remember, I'm placing a massive motor in the front so I suspect I'll be tending toward nose heavy. I plan on leaving a lot of room to move batteries around as well depending on what configuration I have. I just read a thread on towing banners and the wheels in my head started turning; hmm, kick off our club fun flies this year with a big welcome sign....

flying-barely
02-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Hi Max: I do recall your using a whopper motor!! My Scorpion 4020-16 only 10.6 ozs.
Your bigger battery system will probably end up completely under the main wing, may be even right on the CG (best place by far).
That would entail finding suitable locations for servos, esc, ebec etc either behind or above the batteries.
Doesn't sound like a major problem -tho. My elevator/ rudder could move back almost 6 inches from their present location ( about centre in the hatch). You could then stack batteries on floor, electric equipment above.
I'm sure you'll find the solutions, just as I did, as you come to them!!
best wishes for your build.
We all need some pic's here!! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
02-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Okay, quick update:
Bad news at work inspired me and I managed to cut and glue the left and right fuselage halves. Much more fun than the Lotus Notes scripting that was on my work todo list today (I'm not even a developer).

The shimming concept I read discussion on seemed odd till I actually did it. It is a new concept for me, but came together ok. Shimming the left side was a complete pain, but it worked out. I've been amassing photos and I'll see if I can't get them posted before next Monday.

The key was ensuring the wing roots were aligned the same, and as far as I could tell, they were spot on!

As far as getting a more scale cross section: I've pretty much decided to complete it as-is, and then look for a simple way to add some balsa I can carve down to increase the radii. Carving the leading edge was so therapeutic, I'm happy do to more of that.

Some other things I've been thinking about:

I'm on my third brake design in my head, and I feel pretty good about it. I"m tempted to put them on my current tow plane as a prototype, but I don't want to waste the time. I'd rather get the beaver built. I also decided they'll be just fine on the throttle channel, just like a nitro RC car. Full brake will be with the throttle all the way down. I'll them them start coming on before the ESC stops to have some control during taxi without having the ESC have to restart the motor.

I also plan on making the landing gear modular, so I can pull the mains and plug in floats. I'm really all for the floats as one club I'm a member of has a float fly every Monday morning in the summer. However, the aerotow is priority, so I won't let building the floats stop that effort.

I'm sure once I start mounting systems, the inside of this thing is going to get interesting. Three 4S packs, ESC, BEC, lighting, servos, RX, ACC drop, tow release.

I've been thinking the tow release supports will tie nicely to the plywood wing supports, now that I can really see how they go in. I'll put in a plywood deck on top and run ply/hardwood/CF links down to the front lower point and forward to the back of the wing. I won't know for sure until after I glue it all in.

flying-barely
02-18-2010, 02:13 AM
Hi Max: I'm glad to hear you walked thru the fuselage build, had me confused for a while. In fact the boys on RC Canada straightened me out, and once I heard from them, reread the instructions, the build went ahead!
Looking forward, 3-4S batteries, my friend, you are going to do some serious headscratching to get those and all the other magic ingrediants into this plane.
I don't doubt it can be done, I think I would start by putting the 4S batteries dead centre on the CG, and move everything else around to maintain CG. Just a thought! you may even end up with ele/rud servos back in the tail!! FWIW!!
Keep the build going, you are on aroll now!! barely-flying

MaxAdventure
02-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Hi Max: I'm glad to hear you walked thru the fuselage build, had me confused for a while. In fact the boys on RC Canada straightened me out, and once I heard from them, reread the instructions, the build went ahead!
Looking forward, 3-4S batteries, my friend, you are going to do some serious headscratching to get those and all the other magic ingrediants into this plane.
I don't doubt it can be done, I think I would start by putting the 4S batteries dead centre on the CG, and move everything else around to maintain CG. Just a thought! you may even end up with ele/rud servos back in the tail!! FWIW!!
Keep the build going, you are on aroll now!! barely-flying

RC Canada is great! Very nice folk. Heck, the Canadian team I deal with at work is great. Makes me want to move there.... *sigh*

Anyway, one thing I like about electric is it seems (to me) to be pretty easy to shift batteries around for balance. At least much easier than on nitro, where most of your weight is the motor and you don't have much choice on where to put it. I'd love to put in a scale cockpit, but that comes second to getting the batteries in the right location for the CG. I'll just hope for the best. This is by FAR the largest fuse I've ever had, so I can't imagine not being able to move things around!

I can't stop thinking about flying it, really looking forward to the maiden. I HAVE to get this finished soon! I keep thinking about the next project too, the Canso! I'll have even more room there..... Where should I do that build thread?

flying-barely
02-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Hey Max; While I agree it looks like a huge space in there, I found it gets eaten up pretty quick as you add the accessories.
How big are your four cell batteries 4-5000mah I am ussuming! On their edge you could probably go 3 across, that should not be a problem, there is about 7" width inside.
Likely only need approx 3" height, so shelf towards the rear of the cockpit could carry servos for ele/rud.
There will all kinds of room up front for EBEC/battery for it, receiver. ESC on mine is in the cowl. Hatch is big, everything goes in from there.

There, together we have solved all the problems of the world!! hehe.:D

I fussed about CG all thru my build, setting everything in place at each step. The locations changed every time I completed a phase of the build. I finally said, finish the plane, covering made dramatic change too! the battery(1) ended up just 1" farther forward than my first thoughts.
As long as you leave the cockpit floor as your battery position, I certainly don't see a problem with balance. AUW!! Well??? flying-barely:):)

flying-barely
02-18-2010, 06:26 AM
Check out the system built for the Mr Aerodesigns, used aluminum acrossed the fuselage to provide mounting points for main gear (wheels). I believe they are used again in mountings floats!
I built very similar to his design. I think he'd even sell you the LG and body mounts. just some thoughts.

For inspiration, here is the 6Ft Turbo kit bash completed!! Pleas excuse the mess around it! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
02-18-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure exactly what to do with the gear. I really like your scale suspension, but I don't know if that will really give me what I want out of the model. I haven't ruled it out, but I'm leaning toward using the wire gear with balsa fairings and just get it to 'look' right, but not add the complexities of the scale suspension. Kind of odd after I went to all the work with the hinges, isn't it? I'm also thinking amphibious floats, I guess I'm all mixed up! I thought about ordering the gear from Mr Aero too, however I don't think I want to put that expense in. More rewarding to fabricate up something myself if I go that route.

The finish on your 6' kit bash looks great! I eagerly await video if you can make it happen when it's warm enough for you to maiden!

And while the thread becomes a conversation between you and I;

How did you extend the firewall on your 8' turbo? Did you just move the firewall bearers and 'D' formers forward then extend the 3/32" sheet as appropriate? I'm mocking up the completed right side while the epoxy sets on the left side trying to picture how to lengthen the nose.

MaxAdventure
02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
is this your 8'?

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120793&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1266384556

if so, it looks like the 'A' former, the firewall bearers and the 'D' former are in the plan locations, did you add material to the firewall bearers in the front? I was wondering about tying the rear 'D' former to 'A' with a battery box like yours rather than gluing them together.

flying-barely
02-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey Max; The scale like supension is heavy, mine weighs 1lb,6oz, without the wheels!! I might be better in your case to use wire, probably easier to come up with removable systems!! i would suggest the heavier gauge wire for both leg parts. Only add an ounce or two, but much stronger!

I am really hoping to get both Turbo Beavers on video as soon as weather permits!! Winter really interferes with my fun!!

I'm really curious about the size and weights of your battery system, 4Sx ??? x 3 =??
I think my flight times on a single 6S/5000 wil be about 6-7 minutes, won't know until tests in spring. I have a 54" biplane that weighs 8 lbs, same battery, flies 10 minutes no problem, its not a glider!! The beaver wingspan should allow a little leeway.

I did extend the motor mount longituinal (1/4x4 balsa) out the extra 2 5/8", I remember buying more 1/4 x 4 and 3/32 sheeting, some for the motor extension, some for rear windows. I'll see if I can find a picture of the front before covering. Not sure if I have one.
The original layup of the motor mount system is very stout, designed for glow (vibaration), does not need to be as beefy for E power. flying barely
Not sure if any of these pic's will help, I'll try to get a better shot of front construction. Have to go earn some $ to pay for toys right now!

flying-barely
02-18-2010, 06:56 PM
is this your 8'?

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120793&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1266384556

if so, it looks like the 'A' former, the firewall bearers and the 'D' former are in the plan locations, did you add material to the firewall bearers in the front? I was wondering about tying the rear 'D' former to 'A' with a battery box like yours rather than gluing them together.
I have this strange feeling your batteries are going to be farther back in the fuse. Out side former is stock, inside former extended out to new position, braced with corner material. This is the 8 ft battery box frame work and former A and D going ahead!
flying barely:tc:

MaxAdventure
02-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm really curious about the size and weights of your battery system, 4Sx ??? x 3 =??
!

Yes, you were right with the 3X 4S 5000mAh packs

I fly my 600mm heli with 2X 4S 5000mAh right around 2kw
I fly my current tow plane with a 6S 5000mAh at 1300watts
My .40 spit is running 1X 4S 5000mAh and I think its around 600watts. I usually have at least half my pack left on that one when I'm ready to come down.

I'm using the HC flightmax packs for all of these.

One of these days I'll log a test run on my motor and battery set up. it's still mounted in my garage, I just haven't been motivated to play with the motor any more, trying to get the build done.

thanks for the info on the formers!

flying-barely
02-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Hey Max: 3 across should not be any problem, may even lay flat rather than on edge.
I fly everything on either 3 or 6S so far, I wish Hobby City would make a 6S 8000 for the big Turbo, 5800 biggest for now. I've got 1800 watts for takeoff/ trouble, but assume no more than 1000 watts cruise, 75 watts/lb, around 40-45 amps. Flying trials will start at 6 minutes, then checking batteries consumption, go from there.
On 12S, your amp draw will be lower numbers for sure, are you still planning on using 18/20" 3 blade props? Biggest prop I can run is 16"/3 blade, but motor can turn 18/8 2 blade. But then the Turbo would look funny with a 2 blade!!
I'm sure you will get it all sorted out!! The only thing I'd like to change on mine is the wiring, about 12 connections to make on every assembly/ diassly--kind of a nuisance. I know some have used 9 or 15 pin computer connectors mounted in wings, or deans micro's. Neitherseem solid enough to me JMOFWIW!! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
02-18-2010, 11:51 PM
are you still planning on using 18/20" 3 blade props?

My smaller prop is the 18X12 3 blade - I expected a 20" to just clear with good landings/take-offs on the suggested 4". HOWEVER, I can't wait to mount up and photograph the 6" 'tundra tyres' I picked up for it!!!! should be a sight! That should also make take off and landing a breeze with the 18" and make the 20" have a reasonable amount of clearance.

are you still planning on using 18/20" 3 blade props? The only thing I'd like to change on mine is the wiring, about 12 connections to make on every assembly/ diassly--kind of a nuisance. I know some have used 9 or 15 pin computer connectors mounted in wings, or deans micro's. Neitherseem solid enough to me JMOFWIW!! flying-barely

Yup, I think I'm trying to not think about it for sanity reasons! I'm pretty sure I'm about the same as you: two servos, landing light, and two wing tip markers per wing. I'll be an hour just to pull the plane, assemble, lay out the tow line, preflight..... I guess I'll have 15 minutes of flying before I have to start packing up on my typical 2 hour weekend window!!!

I'm currently scratching my head on the 7 1/3 inch 1/4" plank at the top in step #18. The width of former C below is 7 5/8th inch. seems a real squeeze on the top of the fuse and a taper too, so my straight cut doesn't fit well. Am I missing something?

flying-barely
02-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Hey Max: Looking at the drawing the top longeron over wing is to be done with 1/4 x 3/8", 3/8 lying flat. Outside diamension of the body is 8 1/4" without the 3/32 skin. So 8 1/4 minus 3/4 (both sides) makes 7 1/2" to me.
I would measure the body at bottom, should be 8 1/4, but whatever it is make top the same, its supposed to be square (equal measurements). #18 front and rear should be the same width.
#17 crossbar at he top of "C" would actually determine the proper width (8 1/4), then #18 should be 1/4" less (1/8 off each side)
Hope your not really confused now!

You had also asked what I extended, the part marked Firewall Box sides at #20,shows them precut at 11 3/4 x 1/4 x 4, I made new pieces longer by 2 5/8". You can place part D wherever it suits U. flying-barely

MaxAdventure
02-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Hey Max: Looking at the drawing the top longeron over wing is to be done with 1/4 x 3/8", 3/8 lying flat. Outside diamension of the body is 8 1/4" without the 3/32 skin. So 8 1/4 minus 3/4 (both sides) makes 7 1/2" to me.
I would measure the body at bottom, should be 8 1/4, but whatever it is make top the same, its supposed to be square (equal measurements). #18 front and rear should be the same width.
#17 crossbar at he top of "C" would actually determine the proper width (8 1/4), then #18 should be 1/4" less (1/8 off each side)
Hope your not really confused now!

You had also asked what I extended, the part marked Firewall Box sides at #20,shows them precut at 11 3/4 x 1/4 x 4, I made new pieces longer by 2 5/8". You can place part D wherever it suits U. flying-barely

about step #17 & #18, what you said makes sense, what is in the instruction packet for 7 1/3 inches doesn't. I was very careful to cut according to what was written, I should have checked it first. Now I have a piece too short for any of that upper structure. *sigh*

I think I'll probably use the wood supplied for the firewall box and find a way to tie it to former 'A'. I'm thinking I can make more access room for batteries that way. It's a few steps off, I won't know for sure until after I do it!

Thanks for the input!

flying-barely
02-19-2010, 04:39 AM
Hello Max: I don't know how Unionville came up with 7 1/3"-- whats that. I just made sure the outside dimension was maintained at 8 1/4", and luckily i measured the pieces.
I remembered what I did about adding the 2 5/8" ( last Sept), I butt jointed the additions on with epoxy, then laminated both sides with 1/16th" plywood for 1" each side of the joint. Seems lot strong enough!
I have faith in you Max, you'll work your way thru it, Unionville plans can appear quite vague, building the first one, the 8 ft really helped me understand the second one, the 6 ft, much quicker!!
As soon as you decide to modify one piece, all bets are off for anything in and around that part of the build.
Keep going, you will win!!:<::<::tc: Doug Bartley

MaxAdventure
02-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, I have a lot of photos to share, but when I have time I'm motivated to build! Sorry, I'll get some photos up soon. I just have a lot of work right now and grabbing what time I can to finish this build.

In general, I'm finishing sheeting, midway through the struts, getting ready to balance so I can build battery boxes. Adding some scale details. The only think I haven't done is the tail. Of course I'll need that to finish the balance, but I did figure out I want to go with Robart pin hinges, I just need to source some now.

I just did a follow up test on the power system too: pulling right at 2K Watts, well below what I wanted, but it's obviously plenty to fly it. I logged it with the Eagletree and used fresh warm batteries. It might be interesting to see how it tows with this as the thrust seems phenomenal! I just don't have a good way to test that.

I suspect I'll put this motor in a 50cc Edge 540 swinging a larger prop, and pick up a higher Kv motor for the beaver. Even if I compromise my final wattage, I'd sure like to be closer to the 3Kw than this.

flying-barely
02-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi Max: 2K , sounds like you could already pull a truck!! you might investigate a higher pitch prop if you don't feel you have enough. If you could get that motor up to 2.5K, I think you'd be smilin".

My 8ft accidentally got airborne at a little over 1/2 throttle while spinning a 15/7/3blade. Scared the bejesus out of me, I had no intention of trying to fly it. Tremendous lift from that big high incidence wing!!
I was doing "taxi tests", holding full elevator to keep the tail down. I looked down to check rates on elevator, looked back up, plane was 6 feet in the air at say 40 degrees!! i was on high rate elevator!
I chopped the throttle, slammed the elevator forward, plane immediately levelled out, I then let it glide into 3 ft tall shrubbery alongside the runway.
Never thought to add power and fly it, mindset was not there for that!!

No damage to plane, prop collet wobbled, since replaced, very lucky!!
No more taxi tests, at least at elevated throttle settings.
I think the Turbo Beavers size made it deceptive as to how it was rolling over ground. I have let a fellow flyer with vastly more experience maiden all my planes.
The plane weighs 14lbs/12oz RTF, power with the 15/7/3 blade was 1450 watts! Now using a 16/8/3blade -1800 watts, it may fly fine on the 15/7/3 but I'm the extra thrust of the 16" won't hurt on initial flights.
Finally got the plane's paint done, I'll assemble this weekend for a couple of pics. flying-barely

flying-barely
03-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Hi Maxadventure: I had promised some picture of the 8 ft TB last weekend! Then got busy with other things.
I also realized the blue paint came out flat, supposed to be shiny! Any way, clear coats got put on tonight, so pic's are coming!!
I have ordered plans for a 83" Twin Otter now from Ivan Pettigrew, working out the motor configuration now! Ivans plans say this plane weighs 6lbs,4oz, RTF, we'll see, he's rather famous for superlite planes.

Today I made the main frame for the trailer I'm building to haul the TB (and others) behind my motorcycle. Should be interesting hauling a 9ft long trailer behind an 8ft long bike -- can you say Dyna Freightliner!

Hows your TB coming along, looked like you had been moving right along, and then??? CCCan't wait to see the finished plane on top of those Tundras!! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
03-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Flying-Barely,

I've been looking forward to your painted 8'! I've also been trying to keep up with the Ivan Pettigrew thread on RCG: rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485

I love watching the videos from peoples builds.

It's been a bad week with massive layoffs at IBM hitting my team hard, kid has been sick, and any time I have is going into the beaver so I'm not checking too much on-line right now. I am still snapping photos as I progress, so I'll take time one of these days to post.

Latest progress:

struts built, just need the balsa aero profile added
brakes started, looking good. I think I have my design finalized
tow release and reinforcement is in, I just need to mount the servo.
Wings are only waiting on the tips and the wiring, then they will be set to cover
I think I have my access hatches figured out, with some outside the box concepts. Not sure if it will work yet.
My hinges all came in for the tail, so I'm ready to start that piece next

Honestly, I feel like there is no interest on this board and I should move my build thread to RCC

I'm also getting really exited about the canso build next, and this beaver as my primary plane so every day I swear I'm more motivated to completion. I promise some tasty pictures within the next two days.....

wilmracer
03-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't get discouraged... some of us are watching ;-)

I think a lot of people only respond to pictures and video... at least thats been my experience. I follow a lot of threads that I don't post in very often (or ever).

flying-barely
03-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Hi Max: There may be something to the lack of pictures posted having something to do with what appears to be a lack of interest.
Sounds like your well on your way to getting the TB completed!!
Just a few minutes ago ago, I added one more clear coat to the rudder assly on the 8 ft TB, so it will be a few hours before I can take pic's. Poor lighting in work area, should only paint during the day!
Next Fri/Sat -- our club, the Owen Sound Barnstormers is setting up a RC display at the local mall, to try to attract more interest in the hobby! I know there are some interesting builds going on, looking forward to seeing the completed projects.
As it turns out, other members have Beavers hidden away, they are now coming forward, saying they should get them back in the air -- woohoo!
I like to think there are lots of people out there watching the progress of your build, lurkers, who hardly ever say anything, sometimes pics will get them typing.
I'll be watching this post everyday,pics will be great, but I can read too!
"Keep the build going" Beaver brother!! flying-barely:D

flying-barely
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi Max: Finally got the clear coat to dry, set the plane up and took some pictures.
The lighting is terrible in my basement, to say nothing of the mess. Its just to cold outside for Turbo Beaver assembly!! Please forgive the mess. I'll definately take better pics when I can stand to be outdoors!
flying-barely

MaxAdventure
03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Flying-Barely,

IT'S BEAUTIFUL! I have to know, what's your base covering, base paint, colour paint and clear coat?

I think I've given up on my stylized eagle theme I was thinking (a Canuk spin off the Pilatus parrot) and I may do something more traditional....

Yes, I keep promising pictures of the build and haven't posted and that's the best part of a build thread. I guess with no complaints I assumed it was just Flying-barely and myself. I'll make it up to those that are following!

wilmracer
03-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Looking GREAT! and it would take me a week of cleaning to get my workspace that clean ;-) I'm not exactly a tidy builder...

flying-barely
03-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Hi Guys: First, only the blue is paint, all white surfaces are 870 Ultracote covering.
The blue paint came from Canadian Tire, #47-5026 Brilliant Blue Metallic, not absolutely sure but think it is a laquer.
The Clearcoat is Trenclad gloss clear. All the graphics where done by a local shop, Laddie's graphics in Hanover, Ontario.
Max, if you decide you require graphics, use Callie's Graphics, superb quality, very reasonable prices.
Thanks for the commments, can't wait for spring now! I need a video man!
flying-barely

flying-barely
03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Max: How is the big bird coming along?
I was thinking about your stylized eagle scheme that you had in mind.
It is possible to to it totally in graphics, contact Callies Graphics, if you have pictures of what you want, even drawings, she can scale them and send you computer prototypes for approval.
Here is the scheme I originally would have loved to do,( wild) very complicated (read expensive) to do in paint, still enought ot stop me getting a quote from Callie's ( my thoughts).
Keep us all updated on your build, Max, lurkers are watching!! hehe.
flying-barely

MaxAdventure
03-18-2010, 06:20 AM
So, I left off with photos of the wing structure basically done, but I was worried about the strut mounts with my extra weight. As mentioned, those helpful Canadians made some suggestions and this is what I did:

MaxAdventure
03-18-2010, 06:32 AM
for fun, as I was finishing the last wing control surface, I tried to take a few shots to show how the hinge pin holes line up nicely - (I am NOT a photographer!)

wilmracer
03-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Looking great! Those struts will hold up just fine.

flying-barely
03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi Maxadventure: Nice work there, your strut mounts look very strong, the doubled ribs will definately spread the load. Mke sure you pull the wires back away from the servo arms so they don't end up getting chopped off or create a signal issue from the metal rods.
Good job on the wings dude,like you said, all lined up nicely!!
I have tried to use Robart hinges once, had trouble getting lined up, used ca hinges instead.
I will attempt to use them again on my next build, a Twin Otter,an Ivan Pettigrew scratch build, 83" ws, my first twin, wood is ordered, should be interesting.
Keep us posted my friend, keen to see the finished product!! flying- barely

MaxAdventure
03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
.... Mke sure you pull the wires back away from the servo arms so they don't end up getting chopped off or create a signal issue from the metal rods.....

Yup, this is my first build I really have to think about wire management on. Okay, helicopters excepted. My first PLANK build... Take a look at the bamboo photo where the wires cross the servo, you will see the velcro loop CA'd to the shear web. In testing, it seems to hold them well out of the way, and secure. I thought about running separate holes for different pieces, or moving holes, but I wanted the rib integrity and I thought using velcro ties through the wing, especial past the servos would be a good choice to maintain wing structure strength.

On to the fuse layout:

flying-barely
03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Why are the simplest answers to securing wiring do difficult to think about??
I built little balsa ply standoffs, like a clothespin to hold wires!!! Velco would have been so much simpler!
Nice fuelage, it builds very strong right from the kit, it coming along really good, keep it up and before you know it, you'll have a Beaver RTF!!
flying-barely

MaxAdventure
03-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Part of the intent of the Velcro is to let me live in a fantasy that if I pull the wing servos, I can access the velcro ties and be able to restring any wiring as necessary in the wing. My glider experience tells me I'm dreaming.

Here's the next stage of photos. I think as fast as I can edit the old photos for posting, I'm snapping new ones of today's efforts...

MaxAdventure
03-19-2010, 06:31 AM
The main gear, as I mentioned, I decided to keep it simple and use the kit supplied wire. As fascinating as the full scale suspention is, I can 'hide' the lack of it under balsa fairings that appear scale. It seems odd I have no interest in replicating the main gear yet I had to have scale hinges. *shrug*.

MaxAdventure
03-21-2010, 12:35 AM
As I have the brakes about 99% done as of this morning (or at least ready to test to see if they work at all) I figured I'd post the original photos. If you want to know 'why brakes?' it's because I have a fascination with retractable landing gear. As the beaver has nifty main suspension but no retracts, I thought I'd add the challenge of brakes. I hope to be able to run the motor up before take off for some scale effect. I figure I can post the brakes out of turn as they follow the main gear nicely:

flying-barely
03-21-2010, 05:04 AM
Hi Max: You have a very neat idea there. Running up with brakes will be a very cool feature on your plane.
Will the moveable cam plate come up against another plate mounted on the wheel or simply against the the wheel hub itself?
Now if we had a variable pitch prop, the effect would be complete, yes?
The tundra tires look great too!
No flying here yet, field was dry, but snow expected in the next day or two! Hope to maiden both the 72" and 96" soon.
Keep up the nice work, pretty soon there will be Beavers in the air all over the NA continent!! flying barely

MaxAdventure
03-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Will the movable cam plate come up against another plate mounted on the wheel or simply against the the wheel hub itself?
Now if we had a variable pitch prop, the effect would be complete, yes?
No flying here yet, field was dry, but snow expected in the next day or two! Hope to maiden both the 72" and 96" soon.

Yes, there are two plates. I didn't think wheel would last long if I used the hub. I modified fender washers for both plates. The one thing I'm really not sure about is a brake pad material. I'm thinking the right thing is some thin fibre gasket material glued to each plate. The stuff seems pretty slick to run your finger on, but with a little pressure starts to grip. I'm starting with a rubber washer just because it was so easy. I figured it will take a lot of testing to fist make sure the mechanics are working, then to find a good pad material.

I've thought about a variable pitch prop and there are a couple of sources, but the cost for a commercial warbird setup and complexity trying my own is beyond most of my modeling ambitions.

The weather is teasing us here, I'm hoping spring will be settled in well for my maiden. April 3 is my current goal. I suspect I'll fly without the final paint I have planed so I have less time investment in the air for the maiden. keeps my nerves down. You did get your accidental hop in with your 96", right?

Today's goal:
Tail linkages and tail wheel.

MaxAdventure
03-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Speaking of wheels, I was inspired to try and go more scale on the tail wheel. (again, why did I ignore the cool main gear suspension? *shrug*, maybe because it's been done and done well already)

So this is what I was working on earlier this week after many weeks of pouring through photos and looking for commercial product. I hope to complete it today.

flying-barely
03-22-2010, 01:05 AM
There are many things to use for brake linings that would probably work, just have to watch you don't get something grabby!! 030 gasket material sounds like it might work fine.
Each builder has to decide as they progress thru the project what they expect and want from the plane, how scale, what changes. upgrades will be done. In the end, even tho you have started with the same kit as lots of others, every one shows differences you chose to make your plane your own.
Remember, you could always add more feature, details any time you choose, its entirely up to you.
Sounds like everything is going fine on your end, can't wait to see your Bush Beaver! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Well, I didn't make quite the progress I though I would yesterday, but I also didn't plan on working on my aluminum welding skills, which are quite lacking.

I have a shot of the final brake system with the retract servo I decided to use over the thin wing servo. I will still be able to easily pull the wheels to put on floats and I haven't decided if the brake servo will be double duty for water rudder or not. I expect so as it just would work very well for that.

I also have almost the final tail wheel in. I realized my mount side of my swing arm hinge is too small and I'll remake that piece, but otherwise the rest is done and the mount points are all glued on the tail. I haven't weighed it yet, but at least it doesn't feel heavy in my hand. I also will find my little fishing clips to use as the steering linkage. I just bent some wire quick for the photo op and testing.

MaxAdventure
03-22-2010, 04:44 PM
so, the run down of what we've done and what we have left-

8 of 9 servos mounted, still need to finish the tail linkages. I plan on a single steel rod at this point.
all wheels are on and basically done, just some follow up items for the tail wheel
all sheeting done, I still have some follow up on the added balsa for the larger diameter round on the bottom of the fuse and final shaping and sanding of all surfaces
all nav lights still need mounting, I only have the landing lights mounted
all the wiring needs to be soldered
wing tips need to be complete. I'm going to start with the cheesy vac formed tips and I'm thinking of carving some nice Hornier tips down the road (unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my full scale reference link)
battery mount built when the final balance/weigh in occurs (hopefully in a few days!)
of course cover and finish, I'm on my third paint scheme idea. My first was a cross of 'the raven' flying-barely posted earlier and the classic parrot of the pilatus porter, only I wanted an eagle. Next I just went a-typical turbo beaver look, but I'm back to something funky. I really want to include my family so I'm trying to get them exited about some fun idea. My 3yo wants green, my wife mentioned flames - I got thinking, 'this just might work!'. I'm going to try to sketch up some ideas this week and I'll post

and I still have some 'catch-up' photos to post as I get them sized for the web

flying-barely
03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
HI Max: Nice tail wheel assly!! The rc car shock looks great, Like they say, the devil is in the details. I also was amazed at the time spent doing what first appeared to be little jobs. Tail wheel probably took 8-10 hrs, I didn't have a rc car shock, so made it up.
once you get the little stuff out of the way, the Beaver will goe together very quickly.
She is going to be a looker, please keep us informed of the progress! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
HI Max: Nice tail wheel assly!! The rc car shock looks great, Like they say, the devil is in the details. I also was amazed at the time spent doing what first appeared to be little jobs. Tail wheel probably took 8-10 hrs, I didn't have a rc car shock, so made it up.
once you get the little stuff out of the way, the Beaver will goe together very quickly.
She is going to be a looker, please keep us informed of the progress! flying-barely

Flying-barely,

Thanks!
I'm sitting here kicking myself that with all the photos I've seen of your 8' to date I never notice the scale tail wheel! I'm dieing for a close-up now!

I was really surprised I couldn't find a commercially available scale tail wheel with a rear dampener like the Beaver - maybe I just didn't know where to look. It was certainly fun to make and I'm quite proud of how it turned out. I took the coil-over spring off the front shock from an Associated 18T and dropped in my own heavy spring internally. The Diameter is large and it doesn't have the dust cover over the shaft like it should, but miniature Koni's are hard to come by! I'm still thrilled I was able to weld two pieces of aluminum and they're still together.

I love doing scale, but my personal joy is more of a fantasy scale, putting together a model that could be a real plane, but not necessarily actually modeling a real plane. I'm not interested in contests, just fun. As far as adding more detail, I'd really like to add a lot, but I'm also really interested in finishing the next project in time to actually fly it this year, and it's going to be a bit more intense. I figure I'll get the Beaver functional so I can do some glider towing and slowly add detail as I'm inspired. Heck, I'm still adding scale detail to my Piper L4 that I built 20 years ago!

On that note, I have to ask why so anti-cub? My guess is because they are so infamous as bush planes when they're basically just light pleasure craft and can't hold a candle to the purpose built Beaver. Do tell!

flying-barely
03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I built the tail wheel assembly without welding. I'm a welder/fitter by trade (40 years) (god!). I also have a 12/36 lathe with a mini milling attachment.
I should have a picture somewhere of the tail wheel assembly, I'll post it here if I find it.
A scale tail wheel assembly is available from Mr. Aerodesigns. Several people have put his units on Unionville kits I believe. I looked at it, then decided to build my own, not as scale, but light, strong!! It has about 5/8" travel, and soaked up the bumps in our field really well last Nov during taxi tests! I've also add a couple of pics of naked front suspension, based on Mr Aerodesigns available unit.
I agree with you logic, get her flying!! Then add the detail you want next winter. I may redo the tail section fusalage to a more rounded profile, but will fly the heck out of it this summer!

MaxAdventure
03-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Your tail wheel (and gear in general!) is really, really nice! The profile is spot-on. I think I should take down the fork arms on mine some more, but I'm having a lot of pain in my hands and I'm not eager to get back to that right now.

Funny, I forgot about MR's tailwheel, but honestly I really wish I could afford his stuff. Much like CJ retracts, I'll mostly wish and drool.

Thanks for sharing the great photos!

MaxAdventure
03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
My new R149DP receiver destined for the Beaver just arrived via the post! I've been testing with my 2.4 for the mixing, but now I can use the planned Futaba 9C on PCM and get the programming in! For any that missed it, I'm flying my tugs on my 72mHz as my sailplanes are running on my 2.4 radio so both of my good radios are in use at once. Maybe when I grow up I'll be able to afford a JR 12X and then use 2.4 on everything.

Just found another cool Beaver kit here:
http://www.hvp-modell.cz/plugins/diaporama/diaporama.php?lng=cz&diapo_id=5

and a photo that should be a warning about electric power here:
http://origin-images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/46407/Vq52070.jpg

flying-barely
03-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Hello again Maxadventure: Your tail wheel will actually be more scale in appearance than mine. I'm in the same boat as you, money is scarce for RC stuff, so take some pride in you ability to make it yourself, to your standards. You are doing a great job, the finished plane will be very cool!

Someone else mentioned the Chech kit, way beyond my means, 600 Euros-ouch!
Someday I hope to get my hands on a 9 channel radio, 6 will have to do for now. 72mhz for me!
I really enjoyed building the Unionville kits, making the mods I wanted. My TB is not the same as everybody elses, and your won't be either.
Looking forward to seeing the next phases of your build.

Just recieved wood today to start my next Dehavilland project: 83" Twin Otter, complete scratch build from plans (Ivan Pettigrew). I'm now collecting the parts, power system ordered, but have many little things to gather up. This plane won't get built for awhile, but is scaled to go with the 72" TB and RB I already have. AUW is supposed to be 6lbs/4oz! We'll see. flying-barely

MaxAdventure
03-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Just recieved wood today to start my next Dehavilland project: 83" Twin Otter, complete scratch build from plans (Ivan Pettigrew). I'm now collecting the parts, power system ordered, but have many little things to gather up. This plane won't get built for awhile, but is scaled to go with the 72" TB and RB I already have. AUW is supposed to be 6lbs/4oz! We'll see. flying-barely

You must start a build thread on RCC! I'd love to follow along! Honestly, I've often though a big twin might be a better tug for me, and the Otter would be a great one. Not many twin tugs, I'm guessing the issues with IC gas engines in sync, which is hardly an issue with electric.

flying-barely
03-23-2010, 05:43 AM
Hey Maxadventure: A Twin Otter tow rig would certainly be unusual, that's for sure. This particular plane would be far too light at 6 lbs/4 ozs (proposed AUW), It is built almost entirely from sticks, little sticks (3/16") mostly. Plans do not even call for wing struts (mine will have them!) Complete scratch build, even the strips to be cut by hand. Will build my own stripper first project!

BUT it wouldn't be that hard to blow the plans up to say 120",build double wing spars, and run a pair of 40 size Scorpions for 3000+ watts, all on 6S
I think you would want the plane to weigh around 15lbs to be structurally tough enough to handle towing duty.
My plans call for a one piece wing ( mine will be 3 for transport ease), centre section will carry motors,wing tips added with cf tubes.
It will be a awhile, but I will start a build page on RC Canada. Ivan flies this plane on 375 watts total. Videos show they fly very well at these power levels, but they fly this way because they are superlight for the size. Iwill prop for 600+ watts initially (both motors) but they are capable of 550w each.
NEWS ALERT:
If weather co-operates, maiden for the 8 ft Turbo Beaver is scheduled for this coming Friday morning, with video --woohoo! I will let the pro do the maiden and trims, then master/slave two radios for my first attempt! Its called covering your butt! Remember, I've only been flying for one full season, shaking already!! hehe!

MaxAdventure
03-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Well, regardless of some future build, the next 3-4 are lined up: PBY 5A Canso will start in April, P61 I just picked up the second motor for, and I'm still sitting on the motors for a wing mfg B17 that I've dreamed of for years. In there somewhere I think I'll rebuild my crashed Extra330 to tune the two P61 FG20 motors on, then convert it to electric. And finally, I'd like to get my electric 600mm heli conversion running again and maybe get the UH1 body wrapped around it.

I should maybe make some time to fly in there.....

so, it was a mental and emotional challenge to commit to the tail hinges and and torque rod arrangement, but the glue is setting as I type! I did a kevlar thread wrap on the CF torque tubes to guard against splitting. The tubes will float in channels cut in the control surfaces, all linkages on threaded 4-40 rod. Robart large pin hinges and hinge pockets will allow the surfaces to be removed for covering and ongoing maintenance. I debated making the stabilizer removable, but I've chosen to just glue it in for strength and weight.

and now, for the pictures!

flying-barely
03-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Well, one thing for certain, you won't be spending all your nights in a local bar throwing darts!!
Your tail feathers look good! The build progresses! I thought briefly about making the elevator group removable, but decided there was already too much going on back there, with all the rudder, steering connections.
I have managed to squeeze this beast inside a 02' Impala by folding back the front passenger seat, sliding it in cross-wise, tail first.
Have set aside the trailer build for a couple of days, have some real work to get done ($), will proceed again shortly.
The Flying Alert I posted yesterday may have to be postponed, weather man is calling for wind, real cold for Fri, possible snow. Only in Canada can it be 60 degrees one day, minus 10 the next. My pro is only availble Fridays right now.
As for the Twin Otter, I'm trying to hold off starting until I have at least 95% of the pieces, I hate starting, then waiting for that one set of bolts, clamps etc thats missing. No local hobby shop (nearest is 100 miles), I'm relying on a friend that goes there regularily, to get the incidentals.
Once the good--???? weather comes, I intend to fly!!! Building will become secondary! I still go over the drawings every day, motor mounts have to be changed from brushed to brushless type, wing has to be split into 3 pieces, I want to build a more scale appearing nose wheel with some suspension travel, working on that idea now.
Your all-terrain Turbo Beaver is going to be way cool. Keep up the good work! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
03-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Snow: We just had a big storm hit after several days of summer weather. I'm sure it's not as common, but we do get some pretty massive temperature swings in the Denver area too!
I had forgot to mention, I went for a fully sheeted fin as the final assembly, while light and elegant, left a lot to be desired for strength. I just added 1/16th sheet to the structure so it can take a pounding from the tow line. I am planning on running flying wires to add some more strength and help guide the tow line over the top as needed.
Here are the last of the pending photos to post, although I know I have another batch on the camera to come down still.

MaxAdventure
03-24-2010, 03:07 PM
So, after I clean up the cat barf I just heard happen, get the small child off to daycare, and ensure my IBM chores are relatively caught up, I'll finally be gluing the tail on, and then when that is set: finally do a first weigh in with all servos and linkages in place.

flying-barely
03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi Maxadaventure: Your pukin' cat wouldn't happen to be black and white, would it? Freekin' furball.
I also sheeted in the tail assembly, even after I had beefed it up. At that point the Beaver was extremely nose heavy, the 3/32 sheet helped get closer to balance, so battery location was not so critical ( did not want the battery behind CG, on or slightly ahead OK).
Flying wires to deflect the tow line- clever idea to avoid pulling the tail around with the glider!
Your pictures show you have no aversion to using plywood, any idea how much your plane will weigh? I do remember you'll be using a big pack of batteries. Just curious, I've read that guys have flown these with weights up to 22 pounds (on floats). Mr Aerodesigns Beavers all come out at 20+ lbs, with only 7" more wing, apparently still land light with flaps.
As I watched this build, it is great to see you recognize the planes strengths and weaknesses according to how you will use it. Looks like you're well on your way to a very successful Beaver.
I think once you have this Beaver finished, all others will wait in the wing, you'll be too busy having fun flying!! Keep up the great build -good luck!flying-barely

flying-barely
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Took these pictures at the mall in town. Annual event to encourage new/ old flyers to come into the RC sport.
Better light than my dark basement! All 3 together! I guess at some point it will be necessary to build a 96" Radial - hehe! I guess you could say I have become a Dehavilland fan -Twin Otter is next!
Think of thes pics as encouragement - get 'er done Max.

MaxAdventure
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Looks like another snow storm is rolling in right now, so maybe that means I get more time with the Beaver and the field work day to fix our runway will be postponed. That also sucks as we have a fun-fly up and coming. At least I'm still on schedule for an April 3 maiden!!!

So, I did the basic programming in the 9C to get the servos all working, I still need final tweaking/adjusting, but I'll get there. I have some more photos, but I need to down load them from the camera.

I'm working on the windshield and cowling tonight, having finished the wing wiring during breaks from my IBM work today. Servo extensions and all the nav lights are wired and working on the wings!!!

So, I'm still missing the covering and any final tweaking, but the CG looks like it will probably be fine with the packs all the way in the back of the passenger compartment. My All-up weight sans covering/finish?

13.2 lbs

Lighter than I expected! I'm quite pleased.
Once I get the wing tips on and the last two nav lights mounted, I'll see if I can't post a video of everything working in it's current state. Then it will be pretty much down to covering!

I'm not sure I'm even going to push for the final paint before maiden. We'll see what I'm the most motivated for. As much as I love to get the attention, the build is all for me, not for entertaining those at the field. I'll try to get all the recent photos posted during the weekend!

current todo list:

mount the last 'mystery' servo and finalize the wing linkage adjustments
smooth out the tail wheel steering movement
mount the windshield and final shaping on the fuse - I'm currently waiting for a windshield test mount to set, to see if it works
wing tips mounted
upper and lower nav lights mounted
battery mount built
of course cover and finish, I'm still drawing up ideas to share - trying to convert the gif 3-view to vectored drawing and so I'm trying to learn inkscape this week

flying-barely
03-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Hello Maxadvneture:Great to hear you progress on the build. If I where you I would not do battery placement until all the incidentals and the covering is ON. Covering changes my CG almost 4", it adds a lot of weight, more than I ever thought, but realized this plane takes a hell of a lot of covering! At least 2lbs if I remember right! A lot of that behind the CG.
Best of luck with the finsihed plane, can't wait to see her clothed--hehe!!

No maiden for mine today, way too windy and COLD!! 3-4 days of this s..t, then it gets warmer (long range forecast). We'll see. I'll get back to the Beaver Hauler tomorrow.No snow so far, so flying field is still dry.
Keep us all posted, nice work Max. flying-barely

MaxAdventure
04-04-2010, 03:18 PM
here's the next set ready to publish:

flying-barely
04-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi Maxadventure: Your build looks to be progressing very well. The plane is going to look wicked with those Tundras too!
Keep at it, before you know it, you will be taking it out for its maiden!!
Your build looks very well done, looking forward to seeing the results of all your work!! Nice pictures, shows the detail and effort put into your TB.

I took the 8 ft Turbo Beaver out to the field for maiden last Sat. Careful assly, ground check, power check fine. Taxied out to take off -applied power, ooops something wrong!!!-- motor screeched, stopped, made more funny noises, then ran backwards!! Unplugged. removed from the field for inspection! The ESC failed!! Have no explanation why, it was tested last fall, and worked perfectly, had not been powered up again until Sat.
It sounded like the motor may have lost a phase, but inspection reveals motor is fine. I removed the offending ESC, replaced it with another proven one from my Kelly Racer, the Turbo Beavers motor ran fine, seems to make scary power!
Hoping to remaiden Monday, weather permitting, damned wind for 3 days now!
Thats the second esc from this supplier that has failed, 1st failed in 10 seconds, this one lasted about 10 minutes total,($160 US), guess I'll stick with Turnigy from now on, far less $$ and more reliable. IMHO.
Thats the total report for now. flying-barely

MaxAdventure
04-05-2010, 02:55 AM
flying barely,

Sorry about your maiden issues! better a problem on the ground than in the air though.

I missed my April 3 maiden deadline, issues with paint and time. Now I have to set the beaver aside due to; the RC training program that's started, I still have to complete my US Fed Taxes (our favorite time of year, April 15th is where we pay the government to _________) and my 3yo is about to be 4 in a few days. Oh well. we'll see when I can get back to it. Here are some more photos leading up to the last few days:

flying-barely
04-05-2010, 05:23 AM
Hi Maxadventure: I did no do the corrigations, I didn't think I had the skill, or the knowledge to know how! Your balsa splitter for that job is way to easy!! KISS- right! Oh well, lesson learned!! Next time.
What are the tabs added at the inner rear of elevators, boost tabs, or something added while building to be removed?
With the wiring going in, I know it won't be long until you cover up all that neat work! Looks awesome, my friend!!

Like you said, far better to happen on the ground than in the air! I intend to do some more testing before another attempt.:rolleyes: :censor:
Looks like I'll have lots of time, unseasonably warm and WINDY weather here is to change to WET and WINDY for the next 7-10 days with a chance of snow near the end with temps down to 0 degrees. It was 80F here on Friday, warmest ever on record for this time of year - go figure!Winds predicted 20-30 mph tomorrow (next day for maiden attempt - not)

This will give me time to get my trailer " Beaver Hauler" finished. Still a fair amount to do, but progressing.
Please keep us informed of your Turbo Beaver, any color picked out yet, have you checked out dhc-2 on intenet, thousands of pics! JFYI.
flying-barely:D

MaxAdventure
04-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Maxadventure: I did no do the corrigations, I didn't think I had the skill, or the knowledge to know how! Your balsa splitter for that job is way to easy!! KISS- right! Oh well, lesson learned!! Next time.
What are the tabs added at the inner rear of elevators, boost tabs, or something added while building to be removed?

I don't remember where I learned about the corrugations. I read somewhere about splitting the 1/16th stock only they put a 'V' groove in a board and took off the top. later I figured how to build the jig to do it, as I don't have a router to cut an even groove with. Aligning the blade is a pain, a bit of trial and error, but once it starts cutting good I can pull the sticks through very quickly. I'm loosing about 10-20% of the wood to being bad cuts.

I gave up before the flaps and ailerons, so I still have them to do. I'll be damned if an eFlight ARF will have more scale detail than my build! (even though I'm quite happy to keep things basic as it's still 'just a tug for my gliders'. LOL

Really, if we want to drool on scale we can go walk through that new build thread on RCC! sheesh, what work!!!!

As for the elevator tabs, it's those crazy huge trim tabs most of the turbos have!
These pages have some of the better photos I could find:
http://www.dhc-2.com/id1097.htm
http://www.xdh.ca/DHC_Aircraft/DHC-2/dhc-2.html
http://www.sealandaviation.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/chicago-dhc-23.jpg
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk140_Turbo%20Beaver/images%20Scott%20McTavish/tbeav10.jpg
And no, I still have no idea what color scheme.... I was headed for base white to maiden, and play with ideas over time. I'm not happy with any colors/concepts I've come up with so far.

flying-barely
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi Maxadventure: Its hard to go to the field sometimes, and see the latest BARF ,then listen to the "build". And damn, they look good! The Eflite Beaver is a good example, pretty nice detail for a mass produced plane!
I guess its the knowing how many hours it takes to build the planes from plans that makes me shake my head. Its the little details you have added, or subtracted that make the build exclusively yours. It becomes one of a kind, certainly not like every other.
I have to agree about Peter's build when it comes to detail - absolutely stunning, can't even believe the level of skills and detail already in his build. He has not posted much lately, when he does, I sit here and shake my head, and try not to be envious of a master craftsman.
I think Peter intends to have his Beaver done for the Kawartha Scal Classics in early August, I fully intend to be there to see it (5 hr drive).
flying-barely

MaxAdventure
04-13-2010, 01:04 AM
okay, taxes are done, kid's birthday is over, I just want to finish up making a few trainer kits in case someone wants one and I can get back to the beaver. I suspect I'll try to get the ailerons and flaps corrugated my next Monday.

flying-barely
04-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Hi Maxadventure: Nothing to report on this end, no more flights, WINDY as h...ll! Waiting semi- patiently for calmer weather.
In the meantime, a fellow hired me to rebuild an Astro Hog that took a beating in a recent windstorm. Once we got some of the covering off, it quickly became apparent this plane has been thru several storms, can you say patchwork quilt!! Shears plates on spars installed wrong way, every single one split, wing fractures across span in 3 places -common sense and instructions where ignored, I guess!
It still beats sitting waiting for calmer weather tho!! Have spent 7-8 hours on main wing so far, 3-4 more to go before it can be recovered. Then on to the elevator, its gone!! Two stubs at fuselage, R & R here.
This will keep me out of everyones hair for awhile. flying-barely

MaxAdventure
04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
flying-barely,

looking forward to news of your maiden!

My new goal is to maiden in time to be ready for our May 8th fun fly, I've compiled a list of outstanding tasks:
final aileron/flap fitting
-radio program
-seat in the wing
-sand to shape
-add corrugation
-sanding sealer
-primer
-sand
-primer
-paint

Tail surfaces
-primer
-paint

Gear faring
-primer
-sand
-primer
-paint

controls
-final linkage check and secure

Cover
-horizontal stab
-fin
-fuse
-wing

wing tip lights
wing tips on
dorsal light
dorsal light mast
exhaust stacks & paint

struts
-epoxy
-balsa shape
-sanding sealer
-primer
-sand
-primer
-paint

Tail wheel
-source brass
-drill
-final assembly

final scheme
windows
drop box
cargo box
banner

floats
-structure
-retracts
-electronics mounting
-electronic sealing
-seal structure
-prime
-sand
-prime
-paint
-under carriage struts

I hope to complete the final radio programming today (this allows final flight surface fitting)
Floats are actually on hold till after the fly in and I still don't know what color scheme.

flying-barely
04-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Hi Maxadventure: Hell, my friend, your just about done!! Woooohooo!!

Now if the boss would just give the rest of the month off, no problem, right!

I have been so frustrated with propeller collets not spinning true, I purchased a 6mm reamer, just finished a steel collet for the 96" Turbo Beaver, and installed it now. No more wobble!!

Other than that, the Astro hog is awaiting covering, and my trailer is ready to paint!

Just keep plugging away, the Beaver will get done!! I had one plane (40" Brio) up a couple of days ago, can you say bull ride, damned wind is incessant this year. Too windy to attempt to fly the Turbo- so I cut the fields grass!! Always something to do, right?

Stay in touch, please keep us informed of your progress, can't wait to see her (?) fly. flying-barely

MaxAdventure
04-23-2010, 01:33 AM
I think I have an issue with something out of true up front, be it the collet, the spinner, or the prop. It's not bad, but it certainly could be better.

So, I was hoping for a Sat morning maiden to work out any bugs and get the trim down for our fun fly on the 8th, but it's rain rain rain, and more forecast for this weekend. *sigh*

Anyway, hoping to finish one wing tonight, found a few things that missed my list, but I'm down to:
final aileron/flap fitting
-add corrigation
-sanding sealer
-primer
-sand
-primer
-paint

Gear faring
-primer
-sand
-primer
-paint

Cover
-fuse
-wing

wing fences
wing tip lights
wing tips on
exhaust stacks & paint

still trying to snap a few picks as I go, but mostly it's just tedium of the finish...

flying-barely
04-23-2010, 05:10 AM
Hello Maxadventure: Your on the downward slope to completion now!!

I was saying before, I've had problems with several different prop collets. My friend just picked me up a Great Planes 6mm collet, but I won't use it, don't think its near strong enough for my tastes.
I have now ordered a HD unit from AXI motors to try, it is 6mm with a 10mm prop shaft size, all others are 8mm. Almost every spinner I've purchased needed a little tweaking to run true.
You will be happy to know that we are all in the same boat, weatherwise, supposed to rain all weekend here.
Spending some time ordering and picking parts for my next build, the Ivan Pettigrew Twin Otter. I know I'll forget something but should have most of it. I prefer to have amap before a start! Got to go see my archery buddy for more CF shafts!!
Stay with it friend, it will come to pass!! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
04-23-2010, 05:02 PM
the rain is putting a halt to painting as well.

I have the right wing covered, half way done painting the aileron and flap, waiting for the rain to stop. If I had managed to get rid of my junk last year I'd have my car port free to paint in *sigh*

I have the lights mounted in the wing tip, but the tip isn't mounted yet - waiting on the final color thoughts before I glue it on.

I have the paint decided 'hunter green', and it's going to be mostly white. I'm still trying to decided flat black or the hunter green for the anti-glare area of the nose. I think I've finally come up with a scheme based on trying to look at EVERY beaver on DHC-2.com as well as internet searches on light planes running in small business. We'll see what my artistic wife who is less than not interested in my planes says.....

Tail is done, and here's a quick pic

flying-barely
04-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Hi Maxadventure: I also spent a considerable amount of time looking thru dh-2 at pic's. I almost selected the metallic GREEN version of what I ended up with! There are three real airplanes done in my scheme, two metallic blue, one metallic green. All done by the same Company, then I found out that the ownership for my C-GMNT has been tranferred to Canada in 2008. Choice was made!
The tail section looks outstanding!! Going to be a beauty! On my Turbo, I chose to paint the top engine cowl blue to break up all the white, since most of the colour is aft. If, on yours, the green comes farther forward, the black anti-glare would look good too.
So many decisions- i think your Turbo is going to be awesome! Keep up the fine work.
flying-barely

MaxAdventure
04-26-2010, 08:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI_rI29-528

still needs final paint, accessories, etc.
I need to do another weigh-in and check my logger settings on the power set up. I'll post when I get a chance.

flying-barely
04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Hello Maxadventure: Congradulations on your successful maiden!!!:D:D
The plane looks awesome both on the ground and in the air!!
The way it climbs out at full power in the video shows it is NOT lacking in the motor department. Outstanding climb rate!
What did you end up with for an AUW, what prop was the flight on, it didn't appear you where using full throttle for the take-off, correct? The plane appears to fly light, very graceful.
AWESOME BUILD, AND SUCCESS! AGAIN CONGRADUALTIONS;

I did see a small problem in the way the plane wheel-hops, both while taxing and landing. It looks like you have a fair amount of toe-in on those big Kavans. It looks like the tires are fighting each other for grip, causing the hopping. On my plane, I have no toe-in, and no air in the tires. Your tundras may require a little air to prevent over flexing on the sidewalls.

Please don't construe this as criticism, but I can see this as being a potential problem, the landing made the plane vear right, then left, tipping the plane almost on its wing tip. JMHOFWIW.
Your Turbo bEAVER LOOKS OUTRAGEOUS, as in beautiful, I only hope mine will fly as well (no, still no maiden,s...t!) Can hardly wait to the paint scheme, please keep us informed! flying-barely:)

MaxAdventure
04-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Several points about the first flight and second two flights:

I anticipated needing an early flair for the big plane, but I underestimated the lift. The camera shook right as I was making the flair so you can't see I was still a few feet high, that gave me a pretty poor first landing. My next two were much smoother. (no camera) HOWEVER, you are absolutely right on the bouncing as I was taxing around. I had fully intended to let air out for the next flight but I think we were all having too much fun right then and I forgot! I did add a lot of toe in because I was trying to control the ground loop tendency with all that power available. I doubt it's obvious, but I actually have the speed control turned for a very slow throttle response to keep the power under control, and for the scale turbine effect. I think I was less than half throttle for the first take off. I had some serious trim issues I'd like to revisit all the incidences to see where the issue is. I don't have a good way to measure the control throws, so I'm guessing my mixing is off. The ailerons are not nearly as responsive as I'm used to, but it does 'feel' scale, so I think it will be fine. Coordinating with the rudder really kicks it around, and I do have some rudder mixed with ailerons. I also noticed some serious torque from that 18X12 prop under power. It really pushed the plane to the left and caused some roll. I'll try to shim the motor some. If you watch in the middle, I did a near vertical climb for about 200' right after the low pass at 2:50. I just don't have the power I wanted, but my new motor came in, I'll swap them out and see what the additional RPM can give me on those 12S 5A batteries.
Max Watts: 1837
Max Amps: 42
Flight weight: 14.8 lbs
I logged about 18 minutes of flight time on my one set of 5AH cells using only 2.2 AHs, so a goal of 10 tugs before needing to swap seems doable. I think the current setup will tow well, but we'll see what kind of a power hog the new motor is.

MarkG
04-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey D,
Just wanted say what a beautiful job you did on building the Beaver. The flights were as good as could be expected. Just a little fine tuning and it'll be the shizznit :ws:

It's official, you and I now have the largest electric planes at our club!!

MaxAdventure
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey D,
Just wanted say what a beautiful job you did on building the Beaver. The flights were as good as could be expected. Just a little fine tuning and it'll be the shizznit :ws:

It's official, you and I now have the largest electric planes at our club!!
Thanks!

It's the three W's - Wattage, Wingspan, and Weight.

You have me by the Wattage still, but wait till I swap motors......

flying-barely
04-27-2010, 04:23 AM
Hello Maxadventure: I have rewatched the video a couple of more times now. The flight seems superb, I also realized the first time I watched, that you where no where near full throttle for takeoff, terrific thrust from the 18/12 3 blade and big lift from wings, no doubt.

I seriously think you need to eliminate the toe-in, before you have a real problem!! With the stated torque you have, and it sounds like you may get even more from the new motor, the hopping will turn into a torque twist. The wheels are actually skidding and grabbing. I would think that would make nose overs even more possible.

When I taxi tested my TB, it never showed the slightest tendency to nose over, the main gear is far ahead with a lot of body behind, so rollouts just lifted the tail unless i held it on the ground with up elevator. I have a short video my daughter took at the time, I'll see if I can post it here.

Climbing almost straight up for 200 feet, on a 15 lb airplane, not enough power - really?? Using only 42 amps! Wow, was that 10S or 12 S.
I hope my TB flies as nice as yours does. flying-barely

flying-barely
04-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Maxadventure: I'm sorry, I have been unable to download the little video my daughter took last fall.
I have 25% rudder/aileron mix on both my Turbo Beavers, and the 6 footer at least still needs added rudder to make really co-ordinated turn, the 6 foot radial is the same. I am going to assume the 8 foot TB will require the same techniques. I also have 25% differential on ailerons in both the 6 and 8 ft TB, but not the radial. The radial has a tendency to continue rolling over on aileron, and is stopped by applying opposite aileron. This tendency is very subdued on the 6 ft TB with 25% diff.
In watching your video, your TB seems very capable of making very quick and steeply banked turns, its flies very well from all I've seen.
Where you running 12S, if so how many batteries (1 or 2) 5000mAH right.
I'm very suprised at the low mah consumption for the time flown, but I don't have any HV systems - yet.
Looking forward to hearing more of your setups, flights. Hoping to maiden mine soon, wind is blowing 40-50mph today! flying-barely:)

flying-barely
04-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Hi Maxadventure: C-GMNT, 96" Turbo Beaver finally got maidened tonite.
My flying- mate took her up the first time, trimmed her out, said it flew very scale like.
2nd and 3rd flights where mine. The 2nd flight was uneventful, except I didn't think the climbout was very good, nothing like yours, but seemed to fly quite well and landing was about as smooth as I can do when my knees are shaking!
3rd flight started out the same way, but realized I should have quit while ahead. The overcast skies made darkness approach far quicker than I had realized. In my attempt to land I got the plane over too far, she landed fine, but the runnout ended up in the rough along the fields edge. Bent the motor shaft (already straightened) and one of the strut fairings ( also repaired). Lesson learned!!
I will now have to apply Wattmeter to see what power I actually have, don't believe it 1800 watts as projected. The consensus is to blame the MAS 3 blade prop. I'll test tomorrow.
But, IT FLIES, and pretty nicely too. Sorry, no video, no camera.
Thats the report for now. Wooohoooo!!! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
04-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi Maxadventure: C-GMNT, 96" Turbo Beaver finally got maidened tonite.......
the runnout ended up in the rough along the fields edge. Bent the motor shaft (already straightened) and one of the strut fairings ( also repaired). Lesson learned!!
I will now have to apply Wattmeter to see what power I actually have, don't believe it 1800 watts as projected. The consensus is to blame the MAS 3 blade prop. I'll test tomorrow.
But, IT FLIES, and pretty nicely too. Sorry, no video, no camera.
Thats the report for now. Wooohoooo!!! flying-barely

Congrats! I bet it feels good to finally fly it!

When I was looking for a color scheme, I was trying to maintain a 'realistic' job that you might see on a full size, but also trying to keep in mind as RC fliers, we have to be able to judge orientation on sight. My first all white day was fine, paint is nearing completion and I'll take some photos.

Good to hear you finally had your 96" turbo in the air, even if there was a small mishap at the end.

flying-barely
04-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks Maxadventure: Yes it does feel really good to see her fly.

As for the mishap, completely my fault, I had no business trying to take her up again that late (7:50 pm) with heavy overcast.
It turned much darker very quickly after takeoff. I got anxious to get her back on the ground, didn't pay enough attention to plane in relation to field.
Will have to do some testing with Wattmeter, the plane has enough power for takeoff, but hasn't got the climb I would like. The MAS 16/8/ 3 blade may be the problem. Money is real hard to come by for any upgrade, so I'll live with what I have for now!
The plane flies about what I would expect a real Turbo Beaver to fly like, responds to controls well in the air, have not tried the flaps yet, but will.
Everyone at the field commented on how nice the TB looked in the air.
Going to try to get there again tonite, earlier!! flying-barely

flying-barely
05-01-2010, 06:49 AM
:(:(:( Ist flight tonite went flawlessly! 2nd flight ended abruptly with my Beaver stuck 50ft up in a big elm tree. Its the only big tree near our field, so naturally I had to hit it!

I guess, being new to this bigger plane, I lost the perception of how far away the plane really was, I set up for a landing after a nice second flight, lined up with the runway, and flew straight into the tree, which I thought was behind the plane.

I can't begin to describe how STUPID I felt at that moment!! Three of us tried until dark without success to get her down- elms trees are almost impossible to climb, with my heart condition I shouldn't even be trying. Have come up with a couple of ideas to get her down, failing that, I'll have to get a pro climber to retrieve her!

It felt just as bad to having to leave my plane twitching and buzzing, with all the navigation lights still on, hopefully the little 2S battery will die quickly and put her out of her misery.
Both wings, elevator, motor, prop are obvious gonners. I'll have to wait until she on the ground to decide if its worth fixing!
I THINK I HAVE PAID MY DUES THIS WEEK TO MURPHY! flying-barely (or not):sad:????:mad:

MaxAdventure
05-01-2010, 05:23 PM
:(:(:( Ist flight tonite went flawlessly! 2nd flight ended abruptly with my Beaver stuck 50ft up in a big elm tree. Its the only big tree near our field, so naturally I had to hit it!
Have come up with a couple of ideas to get her down, failing that, I'll have to get a pro climber to retrieve her!
I THINK I HAVE PAID MY DUES THIS WEEK TO MURPHY! flying-barely (or not):sad:????:mad:

That's awful! I'm really sorry to hear the news! I've done the EXACT same thing with a glider, I was sure I was not close as I was making an approach and went right in to the tree, about 80' up. (pics in my gallery). I try to make it a rule I never have a tree in my line of sight now, I fly over them, even if I think they're way out. I noticed the one day flying that the big beaver is hard to judge.

As for retrieval - to get my glider down I went to the local home improvement store and bought long pieces of class 200 (light duty) PVC pipe, one each of 1", 3/4", and 1/2". These fit within each other for transport and support, then I use duck tape to tape it into a giant flexible snake. I was able to thread this up the tree branches to knock my glider down and have since used it to pull other club member planes from trees and pull them off of thin ice.

It's always heart-wrenching to leave a plane behind! I wish the best on your retrieval efforts!

good luck and keep us posted!

Bill G
05-01-2010, 07:52 PM
It's always heart-wrenching to leave a plane behind!
Especially when you have to go away the next day for the weekend, and hope it's still there for you to retrieve when you come back. Murphy topped it all off, which happened to me. That evening, there was a good storm with wind and rain, and I found myself walking after the storm with my pom into the park at 1am, to see if the treed plane had come down. The treeline was right on the edge of the park, with a 30 foot line of trees bordering a road outside of the park. There I am standing in the field trying to see if it had come down, and the police drive into the park with their bright light waving around, making their rounds. I ran back through the trees and onto the adjacent road, not wanting to be seen and have to explain what I was doing there. :Q At that point, you realize how bizarre we become in these situations.

As for Turbo Beavers, I see the local skydiving operation flying one daily, and have also gone to the local airport to see it. You can always tell the difference in sound, between it and the other similar sized high wing planes. On a clear day, you can sometimes see the chutes open where they drop, about 4-5 miles away.

I hope you get the plane down okay. The best method I've found is to make a long pole with whatever you find around the house, using 5 rolls of duct tape to put it all together. Start with the heavier sections, and build progressively lighter as the pole lengthens. Since the flexible pole will never be able to stand up on its own without breaking, you get about 16 feet up the tree with a ladder, and have a friend feed you the pole. The rest of it is somewhat like shooting pool with a flexible, 50 foot pool stick. The tree branches are carefully selected to guide the pole up to the plane, just like a "cue" when shooting pool.

flying-barely
05-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Hi guys: Thanks for the tips on tree retrieval!! We tried throwing a weight over the lower branch but couldn't get it there last night.
My solution was to use a slingshot, I attached a large trolling lead weight to butchers cord, and, after about 20 attempts, managed to to get it over the plane without tangling in the tree branches. This allowed the weight to come to the ground.
Attached a 1/4 polly rope to the cord and fed it up and over the plane until my new friend Scott and I each had an end. One big pull, and we run for cover as she came crashing down.
YES, THE TREE HUGGING TURBO BEAVER IS BACK HOME, a lot worse for wear, but is rebuildable.
New horizontal stabilizer, vertical stab is broke out, both wings tore completely out of fuse, broken leading edges in two places on each wing, 1/2 the electrical mounts inside broke free, spinner ruined, prop came out in 3 separate pcs, bearing in motor are shot. There probably more, but you get the idea, I'm sure.
I have a couple of other projects to get done unrelated to RC, so I'll start the rebuild in a couple of weeks!
She will fly again!! flying-barely:cool:

flying-barely
05-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi Maxadventure: Have you flown your TB recently?? New Motor in? Paint yet? Can't wait to see your TB in its livery!

Mine is slowly coming back together, fuselage is all fixed up, even added some more sheeting on bottom, that will make it easier to handle the plane. Wings are all repaired, and elevator done and recovered.
I picked up the new covering last Sat, did the fuse bottom, since then I have been tied up with other projects.
Motor parts for the Scorpion 4020-16 are on thier way, along with a bigger motor, a 4025-12 (2000watts +) just in case!! New prop, a 16/8/3 blade EMP (Hobby city) will be here tomorrow. I'm also going to replace the 4-40 set screws in the tail/rudder/steering assly with 8-32's for more security in alignment.
I hope to have C-GVMT ready to remaiden in about 2 weeks, so I can get some practise in for our Annual Fun-fly on June 12 and a static display at our real airfield show on the 13th!
So far, I have about 40 hrs into the repair, likely that much again to complete!!
Definately going to keep Pete the Pilot away from those damned trees!!
flying-barely;-)

flying-barely
05-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Hi Maxadventure: Just thought I'd drop in to see how your progressing with your Turbo Beaver!!
Have you repowered yet, how about paint? Any more flights! I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the completed plane.

Looks like I'll have mine ready in to retest in a couple of days. No fancy paint job this time, black trim on white. Paint I used first has been removed from shelves, replaced with Acrylic Enamels. Waiting on a new spinner (should be here anyday). One wing left to recover, a little paint, and she's RTF (or is that refly).
Iwill fly a LONG ways away from that elm tree too.

Biggest problem I've had was finding 3 blade props, no local hobby shops, finally have a MAS 16/10 coming from Tower Hobbies, a 16/8 EMP from Hobbycity, and a 16/10 Graupner G-sonic from I-care RC in Quebec.
I chose to repower with a Scorpion 4025-12, will test with a 15/8/ 3 blade EMP first. Will need higher mah/ C batteries to extend the flight time on this motor, looking at 5800/30C 6S now. 2000 watts continous/ 90 amps roughly! Should produce a better climb rate, but intend to test both the 4020-16 and 4025-12 with wattmeter soon.
That my report for now, I'll try to post pic's in a day or two.

flying-barely

MaxAdventure
06-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi Maxadventure: Just thought I'd drop in to see how your progressing with your Turbo Beaver!!
Have you repowered yet, how about paint? Any more flights! I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the completed plane.

Looks like I'll have mine ready in to retest in a couple of days. No fancy paint job this time, black trim on white. Paint I used first has been removed from shelves, replaced with Acrylic Enamels. Waiting on a new spinner (should be here anyday). One wing left to recover, a little paint, and she's RTF (or is that refly).
Iwill fly a LONG ways away from that elm tree too.

Biggest problem I've had was finding 3 blade props, no local hobby shops, finally have a MAS 16/10 coming from Tower Hobbies, a 16/8 EMP from Hobbycity, and a 16/10 Graupner G-sonic from I-care RC in Quebec.
I chose to repower with a Scorpion 4025-12, will test with a 15/8/ 3 blade EMP first. Will need higher mah/ C batteries to extend the flight time on this motor, looking at 5800/30C 6S now. 2000 watts continous/ 90 amps roughly! Should produce a better climb rate, but intend to test both the 4020-16 and 4025-12 with wattmeter soon.
That my report for now, I'll try to post pic's in a day or two.

flying-barely

So, first time out is reported above, second time out with my Beaver I was a lot more comfortable, however in being more comfortable I was jumping into a STOL landing before I really knew the plane. I stalled as I was just coming onto the runway and bounced off the wing tips, breaking the tail wheel ball joint, cracking the main gear mount plate loose and popping the lights out of the plastic wingtip. In frustration of only getting about a 2min flight and leaving all sense of sanity behind, I took off again telling myself I'll just grease it in smooth and to a few quick laps to feel better.

Needless to say there was a problem; and it really enforced NOT skipping steps for safety; both for your model and yourself.

Second pass around the prop worked loose. I'd managed to knock it loose on the first bad landing and now I was low, well out, and loosing power due to the prop starting to slip. I managed to get it over the fence and over level ground but I stalled bad again, a little higher this time. Broke up the other wing tip, tore the main gear mounting block free, damaged some of the forward stringers from the gear bouncing, cracked the horizontal stabilizer where it's mounted, and tore out my custom aluminum tail wheel mount I'd spent so much time on.

The embarrassment and frustration of my own stupidity put the beaver on the shelf for a month or so while I worked some other projects. I've also been pretty busy with my new pilot training program. WELL - I've rebuild the wheels (fixed the 'too much toe' problem) patched up the wing tips and tail, and I've dropped the new higher KV motor in. I hope to re-mainden tomorrow morning, and this time I'll take some photos first! (last time I ended up snapping photos of a pelican flying over and forgot to take any of the Beaver)

FYI, it's a Graupner G-Force 18-12-3 from HobbyLobby I'm currently running - Esprit has a great prop selection too and I usually buy there.

flying-barely
06-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Hi Damon: First, let me say, welcome back!!!
Second, I'm really so sorry your second flight ended in damage!!:eek: If you remember, I've been there.
I'm really happy to see you have the plane back together. Best of wishes on the remaiden!!!!:D:D
As you found out ,what appears to be minor problems can develop into bigger ones. When I started the repair on mine, there was hidden damage, under the covering (little tiny rip in covering, took out two ribs and shear plate) I got spooked at that, and totally stripped the plane, found more, repaired and recovered.
I repowered mine with a Scorpion 4025-12, now spinning a 15/8/3 blade EMP (better than MAS, far cheaper), makes 1400 watts. Two flights so far, then crappy weather until today(two weeks, yech!) I have not tried the flaps yet, so I've flown in, shall we say, a little warm.
I was notified today that my 16/10/3 blade Graupner G-sonic is in, will have it soon for testing, the 4025-12 won't handle it likely, but the 4020-16 will.More testing to come! 100 amp Turnigy K-force ESC is due to arrive any day.
By your description of the two encounters with ground zero, the plane looks like it actually stood up pretty well. Looking forward to a report on the remaiden, I'm sure it will be just fly better than ever.:)

I have been having some trouble with orientation this spring, and planes seemed fuzzy when out very far, off to the optometrist. 20/40 left eye, 20/50 right ---no wonder, new glasses on the way. First prescription change in 15 years!! It will be wonderful to actually see the bank angle of planes instead of guessing - which is how I suppose I've been doing it!
Your faith in your Turbo Beaver will be reborn - tomorrow - I just know it will fly great/even better. Good luck flying-barely[popcorn]

flying-barely
06-26-2010, 01:37 AM
So, first time out is reported above, second time out with my Beaver I was a lot more comfortable, however in being more comfortable I was jumping into a STOL landing before I really knew the plane. I stalled as I was just coming onto the runway and bounced off the wing tips, breaking the tail wheel ball joint, cracking the main gear mount plate loose and popping the lights out of the plastic wingtip. In frustration of only getting about a 2min flight and leaving all sense of sanity behind, I took off again telling myself I'll just grease it in smooth and to a few quick laps to feel better.

Needless to say there was a problem; and it really enforced NOT skipping steps for safety; both for your model and yourself.

Second pass around the prop worked loose. I'd managed to knock it loose on the first bad landing and now I was low, well out, and loosing power due to the prop starting to slip. I managed to get it over the fence and over level ground but I stalled bad again, a little higher this time. Broke up the other wing tip, tore the main gear mounting block free, damaged some of the forward stringers from the gear bouncing, cracked the horizontal stabilizer where it's mounted, and tore out my custom aluminum tail wheel mount I'd spent so much time on.

The embarrassment and frustration of my own stupidity put the beaver on the shelf for a month or so while I worked some other projects. I've also been pretty busy with my new pilot training program. WELL - I've rebuild the wheels (fixed the 'too much toe' problem) patched up the wing tips and tail, and I've dropped the new higher KV motor in. I hope to re-mainden tomorrow morning, and this time I'll take some photos first! (last time I ended up snapping photos of a pelican flying over and forgot to take any of the Beaver)

FYI, it's a Graupner G-Force 18-12-3 from HobbyLobby I'm currently running - Esprit has a great prop selection too and I usually buy there.
Very nice PELICAN, IT IS TOO! Nice shot! flying- barely
Sorry Damon, I couldn't resist, I'm sorry already.
Embarrassment, frustration - nah, I hit the ONLY tree tall enough to do any harm, with 5 people watching!! Cheers flying- barely (Doug):confused::D

MaxAdventure
06-26-2010, 09:54 PM
I'll have to post later this weekend with the pre-flight photo shoot, and I had help with a few in-flight stills.

The beaver flew great today, I was mentally much more there, and the extra power was candy. I only peaked at 2920 Watts according to eagle tree, so I'm still a little shy with this 18" prop, but I DO have unlimited vertical climb! crazy watching an 8' beaver go straight up and get tiny. I should be good to tow. Speaking of, getting rid of the toe in was EXCELLENT advice, thanks! I didn't realize the wheels would catch the fabric of the runway that much, sure made it nice today. Everything went pretty good, except the huge amount of time to set up the thing! I suppose I'll get better with that. The ailerons get really mushy with the flaps too, so I might end up pulling out that scale mixing that I put so much effort into.

anyway, I have to head back out to the field to do some flight training. I'll post details/photos later.

MaxAdventure
06-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Reflecting back, I remember the rush to finish the Beaver before my sons birthday April 10, then the following weekend was to start the PBY/Canso for an August maiden. Here we are almost at July and all I have is a list of things todo for the Beaver, and the Canso pieces all in a pile. - such are the ways of a hobby!

So, I've gone through the photos and thrown a few up. I still need to do all the lettering and numbers, finish putting in the windows, make some adjustments on the tail wheel, fix the fake main gear, give the new pilot a seat of sorts, finish the side door and the skydiver mechanism, work on getting the brakes to work - but at least it flies! I'm pleased I was able to get the power I did out of it today, I'm ready to tow soon. If I can just find someone willing to tie their sailplane to this beast.....

flying-barely
06-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Hi Damon: Only 2920 watts - I'm so sad for you - I know you wanted at least 3000! hehe.
I hope the wings stay on if you use all that for a loop from level flight! Congradulations on getting her remaidened!! I really like the green on white paint scheme too. I have saved them in my Beaver file for reference. She'll look grand with the lettering etc.
Whats your AUW weight now, whats the new motor? how many cells? Vertical out of sight - impressive power, should tow a truck out of a snow bank -hehe.
I'm still waiting on some new 16/8 & 16/10 to test and a larger 100 K-force ESC. 1400 watts on a 15/8/3 (sounds pretty small to your wattage) flies the plane very scale now, climbs out at 35/40 degrees - motor is capable of 2000 continuous, so more testing to come after I get a few more flights on her.
I'm really happy to see your TB back in the air!! Glad to hear the ground tracking is resolved. Your pic's are great!! flying-barely

MaxAdventure
07-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Happy canada day!!!

flying-barely
07-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks Damon: Two of us went out this morning and flew from 9 until 12. I flew a little Hyperion 540 Edge, 5 flights, very, very windy, all landings on it wheels - great training for the larger planes. Paul flew his 100 mph Growler and an Eflite Sukoi!
I can't think of a better way to spend Canada Day, and we've already decided to do it again tomorrow.
Your Avatar looks great by the way. Our club is having it annual Funfly on the 10th of July, so the bigger planes are being saved for that. I'll definitely get some pics then. The guys right now are getting a big kick out of me showing up hauling a 9 foot trailer with my Harley. For those who dare to be different, right!
Make sure that on July 4th, you celebrate the freedom attained by flying RC!!
All the best Damon:D:D flying-barely

MaxAdventure
07-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I sure hope to get some flying in!
Odd note about my last post, I wanted to shout so put it in all caps, I guess the board cuts that out automatically so I didn't even capitalize the words that should have been. oh well.

SO, I'm trying to put some detail on the TB - working on the exhaust stacks between work email today. Looking at putting steps on the gear fairings and the grab handles on the vertical fin. Not sure why that's there....

Also, I'm now really thinking I'll have to rebuild the main gear to be scale - I've not been overly pleased with the kit gear. Rugged enough, but the flex keeps knocking off my balsa fairings. All in good time, I'll still build out the floats first!

flying-barely
07-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi Max: The devil is in the the details, all right! I used 1 1/4" "J" type brass downspouts designed for bathroom sinks. Very thin brass, nice tight bend with a rolled flange on the short end. Cut the port hole, slide in to the flange from inside, secured with a plywood flange with 2 small flathead bolts.
Your landing gear looks pretty good, but I wondered how it would stand up to the extra 5 lbs the plane is carrying from stock. Having some movement, like the scale suspension really seems to help, my last landing, I really planted it on the ground. I got too far over to the side of the runway, and cut the power from 3-4 feet, she dropped hard on the mains, hard enough for the prop to cut divets in the ground for 10 feet, but no damage to anything. Need more practise!!
I'll include a couple of pictures of the mains suspension, I think you could actually make it lighter. I used nylon blocks (heavy) for the shock mounts, 1/2" aluminum plate for the strut frame, and 1/2" test tube stoppers (flexible black rubber) for the actual dampeners. It is basically a rendition of Mr> Aerodesigns pieces.
Maybe the pictures will be an aid to your scale details. My mains weigh 1.6 lbs with the fairings, I'm sure you can improve on that!
Looking forward to seeing everything you do to ad the scale touches! Flying-barely:)[popcorn]

MaxAdventure
07-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Maybe the pictures will be an aid to your scale details. My mains weigh 1.6 lbs with the fairings, I'm sure you can improve on that!
Looking forward to seeing everything you do to ad the scale touches! Flying-barely:)[popcorn]

The pictures are great, thanks! I have some ideas for how I want to do the mains, but that really comes after the floats, which comes after some 'fun accessories' and the first time I get to tow a glider.

I did another couple of flights today. A short hop to check out the new programming (did a lot of work with the radio this week), test of the secondary candy/bomb/skydiver drop, and capture a new power log:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=494&pictureid=2756http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=2756
I'm very pleased I hit 3261Watts, I was confident I'd get it over my 3K goal with a reprogram of the ESC, but it's nice to see it's solidly over! The inital spike at 1:30 is a vertical climb specifically to get my 3KW badge (silly of me, but I love those dumb things!). The interesting one is at 7:30 where I was hauling my R/C skydiver in a drop bag under the main gear, running about 20% flaps and 3/4 throttle on a climb out as if I were towing. I'm guessing I might go over the 2KW mark with an actual glider.

I wasn't very graceful at landing, and the gear held up well. In fact it's the first time I didn't pop the balsa covers off. I think I'm getting the feel of it better, and it was sure fun to put it in another unlimited vertical climb with some spectators. Not that the IMAC guys were all that impressed.

The other big test for today didn't go so well. I put together my R/C skydiver to drop but in the second flight the rigging stuck on the actual drop mechanism, so he just sat there for the whole ride. It was an easy fix when I landed, but then the weather turned bad and I never had another chance to take the Beaver up. ah well, something for next time. Maybe I'll get the primary drop bucked (out the cabin door) fixed and I'll have two separate drops. I'll have to take some photos of all of those pieces and post soon.

MaxAdventure
07-04-2010, 02:55 PM
edited the above post to add some missing info

flying-barely
07-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Maxadventure: 3261 watts!!:eek::tc: You might as well prop up and get some real power, right -hehe! Just kidding, of course.
Towing gliders should not be an issue at all, if you have enough runway, like 20-30 feet!
I know your running 12S, whose batteries, ESC brand?? I fly mine @ 1400 watts for now, feel it has pretty good power, I can't imagine 3000+ watts tho.
I have a new 16/10/3blade G-sonic prop on its way, and a K-force 100 amp ESC, if my Scorpion 4025-12 can handle it (tests), it should make 2000 watts on 6S @90 amps or so. Some Flightmax 5000/6S/25C batteries are due to arrive soon!
It obvious your going to have a lot of fun with the Turbo Beaver, mine still has only 7 flights 15-25 mph winds/ or pouring rain here for last two weeks. Not great flying weather for a noobie. Annual funfly next week, hope to fly it there for sure. I've been to the field 5 times in the last 8 days, but bad crosswinds/ gusts have prevented me from risking mine yet!
OUTRAGIOUS BUILD, my friend, please keep us informed! flying-barely[popcorn]:D

flying-barely
07-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Hi Maxadventure: Just thought I'd drop in to say hello! How are you making out with the "Beast".
Our Annual Funfly is this Sat, I'm hoping someone will get some pictures in the air of my little ol' Beaver's.
I'm attaching a couple of pictures of the Beaver hauler for your entertainment!
Just got the Pdf files for a Dehavilland Buffalo, 96" wingspan, who-hoo! It will be a winter build (remember, we only get 6 months of it a year), along with the Twin Otter I already have gathered everything for! Going to have to put a trailer on the trailer -hehe! flying-barely:D:cool:

MaxAdventure
07-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi Maxadventure: Just thought I'd drop in to say hello! How are you making out with the "Beast".
Our Annual Funfly is this Sat, I'm hoping someone will get some pictures in the air of my little ol' Beaver's.
I'm attaching a couple of pictures of the Beaver hauler for your entertainment!
Just got the Pdf files for a Dehavilland Buffalo, 96" wingspan, who-hoo! It will be a winter build (remember, we only get 6 months of it a year), along with the Twin Otter I already have gathered everything for! Going to have to put a trailer on the trailer -hehe! flying-barely:D:cool:

I was hoping you'd post photos of that trailer, it is brilliant! Far more elegant than I was picturing! Really great job there!
(fyi, my mind was going to what I knew: http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2227.jpg
and enclosed from there - yours is art!

The Buffalo sounds great, I personally can't stop thinking about the Caribou, and I have a pair of FG20 I'd like to drop in. I'll eagerly await your DHC5. You may inspire me to actually commit to my DHC4. I've always loved the C130, and I've been wanting to build an RC one for decades. However, since I've learned so much about DHC aircraft doing my beaver I really like the pioneering of the cargo and commuter stol aircraft they've done and I've lost interest in the C130. To me, the performance of the Caribou using regular gas makes for one amazing subject. The Buffalo being a refined design with turbo props will be a very nice build, going electric with it? What span?

For my Beaver, I've shelved it for a bit while I fix my thermal glider, I need some relaxing flying every so often. I also have repairs to make on my FG20 test bed, an Extra 330 that went in due to a single screw I forgot to loc-tite (always double check the critical pieces). And I was hoping to put together an electric Edge 540 using the motor I replaced from the Beaver. I have all those parts sitting around too. I do look forward to the next Beaver flight, its been absolutely thrilling to get to know it. Unfortunately local interests have shifted and I don't know who I get to tow now. My other field I fly at that often does glider tows has been shut down due to nesting raptors.

Such is life. Will I ever get to the Canso build? Regardless, let me know when you start that Buffalo!!!!

flying-barely
07-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi Maxadventure: The trailers available, like the one you pictured, are far too wide to safely haul behind the bike, IMO. Weight was the other concern, mine weighs about 175lbs. Max height was also a big concern so I worked at getting the trailer down to minumum ground clearance for that.
A field closed due to raptor nesting site! Wow! While we do have a variety of hawks, eagles and lot of vultures, there are nowhere near the numbers here that you have out west.
Scalercmodels.com has a plan set for a Caribou,a big, 96" complicated scale build for $35.
The Buffalo plans I acquired is supposed to be 8-9 lbs RTF! Flies on two 3536-900 motors according to his build. 3 pc wings, too, so the power system all stays in the centre section for ease of connection. It will be a great addition to my hanger, along with the Twin Otter.
I spent some time last night building a motor test stand, so I can test the motor system BEFORE they go in the planes. I will be able to test the systems out in my shop, not in the house!! Safer, and it won't scare the crap out of the cat!!
Thanks for your encouragement, my friend! Now, lets go flying! flying-barely:D

MaxAdventure
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Maxadventure: The trailers available, like the one you pictured, are far too wide to safely haul behind the bike, IMO.

that's why I was scratching my head, I just couldn't see it! What you did was great! I hope to get my RC hauler on the road next summer - my dad's old '54 Willys wagon.

Scalercmodels.com has a plan set for a Caribou,a big, 96" complicated scale build for $35.

That's where I figured I would start, but scale it up to take the two FG20's. I was hoping I could build light enough to go 144" but I think that might be asking a lot. I also can't imagine the build without the scale blown flaps, so that's another big hurdle.

Motor testing sounds excellent!

I really look forward to seeing your Buffalo for inspiration, encouragement, and motivation for my Caribou.

flying-barely
07-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi Max: I think the scale plans from scalemodelsrc comes in around 20 lbs, designed to run on 60 size nitro. Lot of weight for a 96" span.
SOundsway overbuilt to me, with your skills, it shouldn't be hard to extend the wingspan to 144" and keep the weight to something more reasonable.
Once I get the Buffalo plans printed, I'll start determining the power requirements. the original flew on 600 watts total, plane weighed 8lbs/6oz. I'll probably go for 600 per side! I intend to build a little heavier, probably 11-12lbs, for the landings!! My Turbo Beaver was supposed to be 10 lbs, came out at 14 3/4, so we'll see. I don't see that a being an issue if it happens! I''l be doing my own landing gear for this plane for sure, with separate servos for each main gear!
Keep in touch, my friend, always interested to see what your up to! flying-barely[popcorn]

flying-barely
08-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Hi Maxadventure: Thought I'd drop in and say hello!
I've flown my 8 ft Turbo Beaver 3 more times since the last post, rotten weather, big winds etc.Managed to try the half flaps for first time last Tues, slows the plane a lot, made the landing much easier that time.
Tonite, I hope the wind will drop, our weekly club night, will try to put her up. Its odd, maybe its the time in on the build, or the crash repairs, but I just won't risk this plane if I don't feel comfortable with the conditions.
Total flights are now 12-13, lost track somewhere.
Got a new top for my building table Monday, so will be progressing with a build soon. The Twin Otter comes first, as I have all the parts and wood now.
The Buffalo will probably use the same motors/ esc's/ props as the Twin Otter. Turnigy 4240-900 spins a 12/8/3 blade to 490 watts on 3S. Plans call for AUW of 8 1/2 -9 lbs. that will be lots for the Buffalo even at 10 lbs, and ridiculous power for the Twin Otter at 6-7 lbs!
I know you've put your TB away for awhile to go on to other projects. What are you working on at present?
I'm taking the PDF files for the Buffalo to have them blown up to scale size soon, to study the plans and make a wood list. Winter is coming!
flying-barely:D

ENUT
08-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi guys.Both beavers look GREAT.Have either one of you added all the rivits and panel lines? Looks to be a daunting task.I may just have to build this kit.
ENUT

flying-barely
08-23-2010, 03:14 AM
Hi Enut: I won't speak for Maxadventure, but my plane is covered with Ultracote, and not fully sheeted or fully painted. Only the front and cab areas are sheeted. I think it would be very difficult to do rivets, I have no plans to do so on my plane. It already weighs 15 lbs, so would end up at 17 or so fully skinned, that would require a repower! repower would require more/bigger batteries- a never ending circle. Don't want or need a 20 lb plane!:D JMO flying- barely

mrdr650
02-20-2011, 04:25 AM
im starting this same unionville t-beaver. I would like to see more pictures of your progress [popcorn] im going to copy your flaps and aileron set up.

MaxAdventure
02-20-2011, 01:59 PM
im starting this same unionville t-beaver. I would like to see more pictures of your progress [popcorn] im going to copy your flaps and aileron set up.

I'm trying to get a page together detailing the build better than this thread, hopefully it will show what you are looking for. I'll share the link with you when I'm done and post it to RCC. I'm not sure I have much more detail in photos, but I'll be going through those as well as adding the latest aspect which is the float build and additional scale detail.

wild
02-25-2011, 04:04 AM
I am also building one (radial) keep up the good work!

alex5
04-07-2011, 05:20 AM
I am building the original DHC-2 from scratch,but a 72 " ws version, I created a plan and had the parts laser cut (it is the easiest way,by far).Martin Rousseau had the nicest Landing gear concept that I have seen,and closest to the real plane.I am curious if anyone had ever tried his landing gear application and how it has stood up to the rigors of rc flying.By the way,his web site(Mraerodesign.com) is one of the best for factual presentation of his products.Alex

MaxAdventure
07-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I am building the original DHC-2 from scratch,but a 72 " ws version, I created a plan and had the parts laser cut (it is the easiest way,by far).Martin Rousseau had the nicest Landing gear concept that I have seen,and closest to the real plane.I am curious if anyone had ever tried his landing gear application and how it has stood up to the rigors of rc flying.By the way,his web site(Mraerodesign.com) is one of the best for factual presentation of his products.Alex

Alex,

Flying-Barely has posted his gear that is based on the MrAero gear both in this thread and in at least two others on RCCanada. Check the CA site for some great beaver info. The Mr Aero gear are great, I plan on copying them and replacing my gear at some point. Just trying to finish up the floats currently.

flying-barely
07-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Hi alex5, MaxAdventure: Alex the landing I built pretty much copies MR Aerodesigns. Its ver ytime consuming to build, but extremely strong, my first landings took it to the limits, no damage!!
I'll say right here that Mr Aero at $60 is a deal, also his tail wheel assly, thos they may be a little big for 72".
Heres a couple of pics of the landing gear on my 96". flying-barely

MaxAdventure
01-03-2012, 05:38 PM
still needs some more details, but it's ready for testing and float maiden, just wanted to post an update (my home page with updated build log still is on hold)

greggk
07-29-2012, 04:16 AM
Did you all figure out how to program the drooping ailerons with flaps? I'm building a Beaver and would like to try it. I'm using a JR 9503... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

old prospector
11-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Hello I’m new to this forum
I have been interested in the Dehavilland Beaver ever since I was in an aviation unit while I was in the U.S. Army. Our unit had one U-6 Beaver, one O-1 Cessna Bird Dog along with one OH-58 Kiowa Helicopter, four OH-13H helicopters ( like those used on the “MASH” TV series), three CH-34 Choctaw Helicopters, two CH-37 Mojave Helicopters, and twelve UH-1 B Huey Helicopters. The Dehavilland Beaver and one of the CH-34 Choctaw Helicopters was our “Hanger Queen’s” as they spent most of their time living in on of our hangers undergoing repairs.

For those of y’all who might like to know: A little history about me. All my life I have always used MacGyverism to make things for my own use out of cast-off scrap materials. (Even if they didn’t originally have anything to do with what I wanted to build ( I adapted them for my purpose as necessary ) Even as old as I am, I still use this method.

I have built my own eight foot diameter telescope observatory from scrap wood and cast off roller wheels from Frito Lay hand carts when they were changing them out for new ones. I used Bungee cords and fence staples to hold down the rotating dome I used cast-off castor wheels from bedsteads for the rollers on the dome sliding view slit hatch I used electrical conduit for the swing down locking mechanism on the observatory.

I have built my own rotating Lazy Susan type of workbench to hold four of my benchtop woodworking power tools. I am lazy and hate to have to unplug one power tool and then have to plug in the next power tool after I rotate the workbench to the next power tool I want to use. If I just leave the tools plugged into the outlet, it wouldn’t be long before all the power cords would be all twisted and tangled up with each other as I repeatedly rotated the carrousel around. So I came up with an idea, I borrowed the idea from those rotating warning lights you see on power and utility trucks. So now I can rotate the carrousel round and round all I want to and I still have 120 volts AC power going to my benchtop power tools and the power cords don’t get all twisted and tangled up. I just made the rotating power system using ordinary common items I purchased at a local hardware store for about $15.00

The last Aircraft model I built and modified was a six foot wingspan J-3 Cub I purchased at a local hobby store. I used the lights and the wiring from a cast off set of Christmas lights for the lights on the wingtips, the vertical stabilizer and for the lights in instrument dash panel. I also used a drive motor and the 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC rectifier circuit board and power cord from a broken down cassette player to power the lights and the drive motor to spin the store bought prop. My wife stuck one of her little teddy bears from her teddy bear collection in the cockpit for the pilot and we hung it from the ceiling just for a novelty display for our grandchildren (and other guests) to look at when they were visiting.

Well enough of boring you to death with my MacGyverism – on with the main subject I wanted to post.

I want to scratch build a large scale Dehavilland Beaver not to fly but to just hang as a stand-off scale model display in my house as I did the J-3 Cub mentioned above. I have downloaded and printed off a few pages from a set of sample plans from the assembly plans of a large scale Beaver kit But these sample plans only give a few of the actual dimensions but not all of them. The dimensions that it actually gives is as follows:

The overall length of the main wing is 102 3/8 inches.
The main wing width is 11 ¼ inches wide.
The fuselage is 63 inches in length from the front of the engine cowl to the rear of the fuselage tail.
The horizontal stabilizer is 34 1/8 inches in length.
The Vertical Stabilizer is 19 inches from the bottom of the fuselage at the rear end of the cabin to the top of the vertical stabilizer.
The cabin is 9 3/8 inches wide from side to side.
The engine cowl is 6 5/8 inches from the front to the windshield.

But what it doesn’t give is:

The length of the cabin from the windshield to the rear of the cabin where it terminates at the fuselage.

It doesn’t give the height of the cabin from the bottom of the fuselage to the top of the cabin of the fuselage.

It doesn’t give the dimension of the horizontal stabilizer from the leading edge to the trailing edge.

It doesn’t give the width of the vertical stabilizer from the leading edge to the trailing edge where it joins the fuselage.

The questions I have, is if there is somebody on this forum that could possibly help me in figuring out the dimensions that that I listed above, that I need, that the plans don’t provide.

I have dyslexia with numbers ( for example: If I am given a four digit number somehow I will reverse at least two of those numbers in my head without even knowing I do so. ) As I was growing up I had one heck of a time with math and flunked math throughout school as nobody ever discovered that I actually had this dyslexia until after I had in the Military for twelve years (the way it was discovered was during a written test in a map reading class I was in). I kept repeatedly getting the same wrong position on the map every time even though I was given the right set of grid coordinates. The instructor finally figured out what I was doing and how I was doing it and after we figured it out I actually got the correct answer on the test.

Normally I would just take a picture of the fuselage from the plans and then put the negative in my photographic enlarger and adjust it against the wall until I got the actual size I needed then I would draw the outline in the actual dimensions. But I no longer have my photographic enlarger, so that option is out.

Well thanks for lending an ear to my MacGyverism. I hope I didn’t bore y’all too bad. And maybe I at least got a few laughs or chuckles from y’all.

Maybe someone out there can help me with those dimensions I need that the plans didn’t provide. Thanks everyone:)

The Old Prospector

alex5
07-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Old prospector,did you still need those dimensions?The simplest way is to import an accurate 3 view ,or even Martin Rousseau's pdf into autocad as an image,then scale the entire image accorrdingly.All you do then is dimension the appropriate areas.A similar approach is to get photos ,insert them into autocad,or other, free cad programs,and then scale them to known dimensions....once that has been done,you dimension the areas you require.It isnt as difficult as it sounds.

old prospector
07-06-2014, 03:53 AM
To Alex 5 - Yes I'm still needing those dimensions (or Plans) for the (Aprx quarter scale) DHC-2 Beaver R.C. Aircraft - Let me know further - thanks Alex:)

old prospector
07-06-2014, 03:55 AM
To - Alex 5 - How do I locate Martin Rousseau's PDF?:)

DEG
07-06-2014, 05:15 AM
OP,

Here you go...I think this will give you the measurements you said you need....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnjcpd5pqnnq6fo/Beaver.pdf

Too large a file for this forum...sorry...

alex5
07-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Look for mraerodesign.com,he has the best documentation for his 110 inch radial beaver

alex5
07-06-2014, 05:23 AM
here is a link to the website.
https://mraerodesign.securicom.ca/en/products/info.cfm?ProduitID=38
push alt printscreen on the images you want...you can scale any part you want...his drawings are dead on.

alex5
07-06-2014, 05:37 AM
if you download Paint.net,then you can import(insert) your saved image by pushing control V and edit that image,meaning you can scale it,dimension it,alter it...do whatever you require...just dont sell it.But,save it as a jpeg in a known filefolder on your puter.

old prospector
07-06-2014, 05:16 PM
To Alex-5 - Hey thanks Alex, that is the necessary dimensions that I have been looking for :)

old prospector
07-06-2014, 05:46 PM
To: Alex-5 - those were the dimensions that I needed - I could get the wingspan correct to the length I wanted or I could get the length of the fuselage to the length I wanted - but then I couldn't seem to get the rest of the parts to correctly match the scale I wanted to build as the cabin length and height or the doors and/or the windows length and height wouldn't correctly match the scale I wanted because my wings would be too narrow, or the cabin would be too short or too long etc. - Once again Alex-5 -Thank You Very Much - I think I now have enough dimensions to add or subtract and/or expand or contract in my "Double-Cad" Program on this 64 bit computer or to transfer it to my older 32 bit computer and use the older "Turbo-CAD" program. - Plus as a back-up, I also just printed it off "as is" on my printer. - Once again Thanks Alex. Have a Great day, and a better tomorrow. "The Old Prospector":)

alex5
07-07-2014, 03:00 AM
Thank Martin,for his splendid documentation and his terrific model....the most accurate renditition of the Beaver, on the market.Without his freely distributing his knowledge,we would have very little.Mraerodesign also lazer cuts files,and is a super guy to deal with....Mraerodesign.com.

alex5
07-07-2014, 03:23 AM
Using the images,in Paint.net,if you scale the drawing in inches,instead of pixels,you can create a view that you can scale from,in inches.Pay attention to the cursor position,when navigating in the image.

Opus
09-24-2014, 05:25 AM
New member looking for help. I purchased the Unionville 8' Beaver kit last year from a hobby shop that was going out of business. Just started working on it, and discovered that page 3 of the plans was missing (no wonder it was cheap!). Looking for someone that has that page and is willing to scan and email it. (Will gladly pay for scan and shipping [if hard copy is sent] If no one has it, looking for ideas to get around not having the plans to work from. Thanks in advance.