PDA

View Full Version : Ace Models Seamaster,water And Watts Do Mix?

e power
03-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi,
just thought I would let you see my latest glow to electric conversion,its a Seamaster from Ace models ,designed for a 46 glow,converted using an Axi 2826/10 on 4s ,turning an Apce 14x10 for around 610 watts,weighs 5.5 lbs,the glow version is around 7 lbs,hope to get it wet on Monday,who says water and watts don,t mix cheers Euan in the cold north east of the UK

Dereck
03-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Hi Euan
Should go fine - the motor mount pylon is far better for a smooth running, vibration free electric fed by wires than a pounding slimer with its fuel tank aft of it. All three of my Puddlemaster/Pondside floatyboats did just fine too.

Whereabouts in the 'cold northeast'? I started my wanderings in Hull, which was cold and damp, passed through Scotland (Elgin, Moray Firth coast) which was beepin' cold, snowy and 'furrin' before fetching up in much-warmer Cornwall as a springboard to fetching up safely outside Washington, DC (on the way to Florida, if the plan holds up :) )

Good luck with the Seamaster test flights

Regards

Dereck

e power
03-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Dereck,
thanks for your e mail,I live in Durham and I fly at the Teeside model club near Stockton,I envy you living in the USA as electric flight is still a black art to most of my club mates.
I intend to fly the plane tomorrow either off a local lake or at the field as we have a couple of inches of snow ,I will post a reply if it goes ok.
take care keep your watts up Euan Galloway.

Dereck
03-13-2006, 01:35 AM
Hi Euan
I had odd forays up your part of the world a while back - had my first bike race win at Hartlepool in 1969! We used to travel up there for bike races a fair amount from Hull before I joined the RAF in 1971

You're better off test flying off land - see you have wheels, makes it real easy. Water is no more forgiving than land if things get bad, and at least if you have to make an out-of-bounds land arrival, you can walk to the model - tricky over water, unless you have better family connections than mine ;) .

When I first got over here, I'd messed with low powered electrics and had only gotten to a 'lively' ten cell ship when I built my first 20 cell - the Four Star 40 that's now over six years old and still flyable. I spent the first year going to a lot of events where glow guys would make remarks about what electrics couldn't do - until the old girl showed them what she could do. They usually went quiet after my first flight at a new site...

You'll do fine, Ace turned out good models before they got bought out to be another Asian marketting name, and the Seamaster is a good, solid flier.

Regards

Dereck

e power
03-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Dereck,
thanks for your e mail,i have just returned from our flying field,and if by magic it is half flooded,how did i predict that.
The seamaster has `had five great flights two from the grass and the rest off the flood water,the power is more than enough for mild aeros .
I see that you have visited this part of the world in your travels if you are ever back drop me a line .
I have included a few pics from todays dawn sortie ably assisted by my 3year old daughter katie,a budding co pilot,take care ,
Euan Galloway
ps are you the Dereck known as Mr Woodward.

Dereck
03-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Euan
If you're thinking that could be him on the masthead of "Over Here" in Q&EFI - I must shily confess that 'tis me.

Which, if you fancy some International Fame for your flying boat, you know where to send the shots. Unfortunately, Reality needs 3 megapixels or higher...

I know that technically, I do the US scene, but as I write the column, I allow myself immense lattitude over material selection ;)

Love your flying site! To arrange for something so exquisite to test fly a new floatyboat, you must have done something right! Our sites adopt the usual soggy, miserable and unusable mode after heavy rain, yours is laid out far better.

Be interested in hearing how she performs off her landplane UC when things dry out some

Regards
Dereck

e power
03-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Dereck,
thanks for your e mail and your excellent column in the mag,If you can give me your e mail address I will try and upload some larger pictures as the size limit on this forum is very small.
I took the Seamaster out again today and flew off the grass ,it takes a long time to rotate so I will try and make the nose leg a little longer for a wee bit of positive incidence.
I have posted a couple more pics of another glow to electric conversion its called the AEROPRO 110 F3A,and should be in the glow,conversion section,if you get the time have a look at www.tmfc.co.uk (http://www.tmfc.co.uk) its my clubs site,take care Euan.

Capt. Crunch
03-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Hi E power,
I fly a Seamaster with A 46 glow and I have often thought about converting to Electric. Where did you put the Battery? Will a 3 cell Lipo fit in the Nacel? More info please.

e power
03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Hello,
thanks for your questions,The only major mods to do are as follows,
cut a larger forward hatch,approx 7 inches long will do for most lipo packs,if you are using an outrunner,ie Axi the motor pylon will need to be approx half an inch longer,balsa packing is ideal,the idea to put the lipo in the nacell is not that practical as you will need to make a hatch and as the plastic is simmilar to a plastic bucket not a lot will stick to it.
Another reason is that the weight,c of g is lowered if the lipo is placed in the hull,I hope that this is of use to you ,any more questions please get in touch.
best of luck if you decide to electrify yours ,cheers Euan.

Capt. Crunch
03-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi e power,
Thanks for the ouick responce. I saw the pictures of your Seamaster. What a clean looking plane. After seeing your plane I sure would like to ccnvert mine. I float fly a lot. I belong to the AquaNuts, a group of guys that float fly most Saturday mornings, weather permitting. check us out at www.floatfly.com (http://www.floatfly.com) .

e power
03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Hello,
thanks for your email,I had a look at your clubs web site,very nice mate,I have to make do with a flooded flying field,but as it rains all year in the in England that occurs a lot.I holiday in the French Alps,near lake Annecy so it will be flown there over the summer.
We have a couple of float flyinns at Keilder near Newcastle in the summer that i may attend,any way hope you do electrify a Seamaster,,
all the best Euan Galloway.
Forgot to mention my clubs web page is www. tmfc.co.uk

FunFlyer
03-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Euan, did you mean to simply space the pylon up a bit by packing the pylon up by inserting some balsa at the bottom of the pylon slot?

I have a 46 one ready to maiden, and a 2826/10 in a powered glider....
Now I AM excited!

What a good idea.....would 3s do for sport flying?

I guess it would be easy enough to make a leccie pylon as well and have the glowie one too.

Adrian, in the desert!
(But we have a lake nearby)

e power
03-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Adrian,
thanks for your questions,yes simply packing the pylon with balsa will do fine,a 3s lipo will provide enough power to take off from grass and water with mild aeros,loops rolls wingovers etc,no knive edge loops?fit a 4s and the performance steps up a gear with nice crisp four point rolls .
I hope this helps and you electrify your Seamaster,any more info,photos etc just ask.
cheers Euan Galloway.
Ps never tried desert flying ?

FunFlyer
03-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info Euan,

In high summer, we get out early, and be home for lunch!

How did you water-proof your lipo? I hear they don't like moisture.

Did you give the motor a light spray with a WD mixture for just in case?

And I guess I need to keep the ESC out in the airflow for cooling, yet protect it from the water. Although it is supposed to be fresh water, the salt content is enough to cause white foam on a wet circuit board with power applied. Lots of WD spray needed when water flying here.

Any tips on water proofing are appreciated......I have done the silicon bead trick with the wing seat.

Also, did you cut a new hatch, or extend the existing one?

Adrian.

e power
03-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Adrian,
thanks for your questions,with regards to water proofing the lipo,all I have done is to place a drop of silicone on the balance leads,the hatch is extended both in the width and length and sealed using pvc electricians tape,.
I have not attempted to waterproof the esc,in fact i have cut a circular hole in the rear of the engine pod to cool it,hopefully not with water?.
Your idea of spraying WD40 is a great idea.
Take care and enjoy the sunshine,Euan Galloway.

FunFlyer
03-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the info Euan......

I have removed the 46 pylon etc. and started making a new one, using two sides made of 3mm ply and spruce strips inside to allow space for the thick wires as well as the servo lead.

Suitable props are ordered, so I'll be back in a week or so with a report!

Easter is not far away for a maiden!

Moving on now that I'm inspired.......I have a Northstar kit waiting to be built, and I'll make that a leccie too. But I think the fin will be too low as designed, for the 14" prop, so I need to decide how to mount the motor. I could stretch the fin higher, make it a pusher, or fit a separate pylon for the motor. What would you do? And where would be best to fit the pylon if going that way? Any thoughts appreciated!

Adrian.

e power
03-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Adrian,glad to hear that you have moved away from the Dark Side,and got rid of the oil burner in your Seamaster,the Northstar will be a good candidate for electrocution,leave the pylon length as is and use a Ramoser ,multi blade,3 or 4 blades with adjustable pitch,about £20 uk,will sound great ,best of luck and keep us all posted.
Euan Galloway

FunFlyer
03-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks for that Euan. I was thinking of cutting back a larger prop.
If you have seen & heard a Lake Buccanneer, you will have noted the short, broad, pitchy prop that they use. And it barks on full power too. One was based on the river near here.
(And I have a Buccanneer kit waiting to be built too, 20 size. It's gunna be a good year for me......some hopes being realised!)
Electric power (larger than S400), will be a turning point for me, cos I have wanted to fly off water for a long time. But when it's still, early in the morning, I know glowies will annoy the local residents....but with electric, they won't know I'm there!

Anyway, I am a bit confused with the hub/prop choices available. I'm gunna put ya on the spot and ask, in your opinion, what is my best choice of hub (8B?), number of blades, and type of blades for the 2826/10 in the North Star. I'm limited to 10" diameter. All suggestions taken as best effort and intentions, no recriminations!

Thanks for the tips,
Adrian

Dereck
03-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi Folks
and especially for the Brits - just picked up a copy of the March "Aviation Modeller International' - there's a floatplane meet report with plenty of shots of electric floatyboatplanes in there, from a 2 x 400 Puddlemaster to what I think is "another" Seamaster.

One we 'converts' need to look at is the "Sea Dancer". I suspect it uses the same wings and tail as the 'Cloud Dancer 40', which is another of those electric models that was regretably sold with the oily conversion on the plan - Ace RC kit IIRC, but since BARFed, though never as popular as the Four Star for electrocution. The Sea Dancer shown had an OS 70 fourbanger, but it wouldn't take a lot to mod the pylon to take a similar electric set-up to E Power's Seamaster.

Anyone any info on the whereabouts of the Sea Dancer plan? The late Fred Reese designed the Cloud Dancer series, amongst many, many other very nice sports RC models, so would imagine he'd have been behind the acquatic version.

Regards

Dereck

Dereck
03-27-2006, 09:01 PM
http://www.modelaircraft.org/plansall/s-plans.pdf

Look under S for the Sea Dancer plan and build yourself an electric version from the water up!

D

Dereck
03-27-2006, 09:04 PM
http://www.kitcutters.com/RCM/RCMSea/RCMSeaDancer.htm

If websearching was a martial art - I'd have a black belt (and suspenders to match ;) )

D

e power
03-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Adrian,
my first thoughts on electrifying your Northstar is that the Axi 2826/10 will not be enough,most of the glow ones flying are using 60s or 46 with tuned pipes,a better motor choice may be the Axi 4120,14 on 4s with the possibility of 5s, makes the choice of prop harder,Do you get Quiet @ Electric Flight mag in OZ,in the Jan 2006 issue a full review of the Ramoser prop is included,if you want i can send you a copy.let me have your address,I will let you know the hub/prop size for the 2826/10 when i find mine,and get a chance to flight test it,cheers Euan.

e power
03-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Dereck,
I thought i would post a couple of pictures of my latest flying watercraft,I am having major problems in getting it airborne,the full scale versions all fly great,and taste good with orange sauce? any ideas,
cheers Euan.

e power
03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Quack Quack.................

FunFlyer
03-28-2006, 10:26 PM
OK thanks again Euan.....

A while ago, I saw a news item where someone had inserted model rocket engines in those and terrified the wildlife in an English river!

My addy is in a PM to you.....

Adrian

e power
04-06-2006, 07:48 PM
hello,
I posted a copy of Electric flight mag today,hope it arrives,also I have added a couple of pictures of my new floatplane on the water and watts do mix thread.
cheers Euan.

e power
04-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Adrian,
thought I would try another electric floatplane,
Details/, Cml models artf Druine Turbulent,
39 inch span GWS floats,all built up balsa airframe,weighs 1lbs,using a cheap bell brushless motor on 3s,should be flown on Saturday,
cheers Euan..

Dereck
04-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Quack Quack.................

I wouldn't lie underneath one of them while trying to mess with their UC :eek:

Love the aquatic Turbulent though

e power
04-06-2006, 08:29 PM
hello, mate ,may have to have the Duck put down,we got Avain flu today in the Uk,I will try and test the Turbulent off the water this weekend if the rabid wild fowl will let me?.
Dereck I am attending a float fly inn next weekend at Keilder water I will try and take some photos and upload them onto this site ,
cheers Euan.

FunFlyer
04-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Wow! Thanks Euan.....
And the Turbulent looks a neat plane! You are pretty keen eh? Tnx for the pics. I gotta find out how to put them up soon myself I reckon!
I put a Formosa on GWS floats, and flew it a few times with probably the same motor that you mentioned! (Shuttle?) What prop you using on 3s?
Mine will turn a GWS HD 7030 at 12000 at 10A. My only concern is that a plane on floats seems unstable when the wind and a wavelet conspire to flip the plane while taxiing. It happened to me, and I made wider struts for the GWS floats, but I have lost my confidence! Maybe over Easter.....?

Re Seamaster electric....it's almost ready to maiden, but I needed to add lots of lead to get the CG where the book says. From my experience it seems a bit too far un-necessarily forward, increasing the AUW with the addition of the lead. Even with battery rubbing the bow ply! The book says it is further forward than the usual 30% I am used to. Admittedly, I balanced it to the forward point in the suggested range, not the rearmost.
I am right on the max AUW as specified.

Where is the CG on your Seamaster Euan? (mm from the LE)

It's been fun!

I'm only waitng for a 50A esc. I have a 35A one, but don't know if it will fly on 35A.

FunFlyer
04-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Here is the beast.....The wiring is just resting on the wing until I get the 50A speedie and hide it in the hollow rear of the pylon.

Oh, I see that I can make the pic a bit bigger.....let's hope for some action ones soon!

e power
04-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Adrain,
I like the blue pylon looks great,my Cof G is 5 mm past the recommended rear most position,I needed lead in the tail of mine to get it to fly as i wanted .after changing to 20 c cells the lead can be taken out.
My mate has just built a 46 glow version and before the build we weighed the bare kit it was over a half pound more than mine,if i build another one i will check out the stock at my model shop,.
Take care mate hope to hear from you soon cheers Euan.

e power
04-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Adrian,Dereck,
Hope all is well ,due to the amount of time i have spent at the local lake my kids are getting bored so i thought i would build a boat,and here she is,Dereck you wiil recognize it ,a classic british precedent Huntsman,36 inches long and powered by a 21 glow motor through a series of water cooled exhausts,not quite electric sorry?
This is all part of a master plan to entertain them at next weekeends float fly at Keilder water,near the Scottish border .
I hope to take a couple of photos and get them on this site ,until then have fun cheers Euan.ps Adrian have you recieved your mag?

FunFlyer
04-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Yep, the the mag just lobbed on my desk! Some nice lunchtime reading there thanks Euan!

I'll get a Oz mag off to you, but I might wait until there is a bit of meat in it! Some months can leave you wanting.....I'll go check whats around. No free plans tho!

Re those classic boat kits (Aerokits & Veron?), they were very nice and well known here. I had one a long time ago....Sea Queen or Sea Commander, the smaller one anyway with a well used 35 in it! Nice.

I'm hoping the 50A ESC arrives today, or this week, so I can maiden the Seamaster. It missed Easter, so we flew off the grass. We have a holiday on Tuesday, so I'll be checking if the lake is flat! I did some prop tests on it, and ran them thru a spreadsheet for flyability and was a bit surprised at how low a current value will let it fly. But I'll check theory and practice after using all power and get it going first!

Cheers, Adrian.

e power
04-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Adrian,
got your e mail today thanks,I had a great day flying at a local float plane flyin on sunday,it was held at Keilder Water near the Scottish border the weather was fantastic no wind and around a dizzy 18 c almost tropical for this part of the globe?.I took my seamaster and it gave a very credible account of its self ,star of the event for me was a Balsa USA third scale cub with a four cylinder pegasus pure magic?.
I took a few photos but they are to big for this site send me your e mail address again and i will send them over.
I look forwards to recieving the ozzy mags,if you want any more uk ones let me know cheers mate Euan Galloway.

e power
05-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Adrian,
the magazine arrived today,and i,ve had a quick look at the dvd most of the crashes happened` in the north of England so i will decline any offers of a jolly in my mates Piper?
have you tested the Seamaster yet ?.
I have compiled a vhs tape of my electric models and a short bit on a local float fly inn,can you play vhs in oz,if you can i will pop it in the post.
Hope to hear from you soon cheers Euan.

FunFlyer
05-04-2006, 01:46 AM
I'd go in the Piper! Hang the danger!
Seamaster has still to get wet....Only Tuesday night did I finish fitting the esc to an ali support strut to use as a heat sink. The strut is to stabilise the pylon. I haven't been able to decide where to maiden it! I fitted the wheels, but the grass field is surrounded by obstructions, trees, grape vine rows etc. They are OK if nothing goes awry like unexpected loss of power etc.....so maybe the best place is the lake......it's clearer there, and impacts will be a tad less punishing! A certain amount of chicken attitude comes natural to me too, but the weather was perfect last weekend and got me tempted, but I had other stuff on.
But I'm running out of excuses now.
Yes, I checked a standards site and it appears that I should be able to play a tape OK thanks.......I have some more stuff that you might like to see to.....
Thanks......I'll keep you up to date re Seamaster!

e power
05-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Adrian,
thanks for the mag , I enjoyed the kit review of the twinace so much so that i have one on order, power will be two AXI 2826/10 on 4s each motor with a couple of cheap tower pro 60 amp esc,s,the large hatch is such a bonus ,colour scheme will have to go?.
I have just compiled a DVD on DVD + format and will post it some time today.
Have a look at my other posting <titled harvard at 6 texan 74 inch span?I got it off a club mate last week and it flys great ,
take care wish we had some Ozzy sunshine,
Euan.

FunFlyer
09-14-2006, 01:14 AM
The DVD arrived yesterday Euan, thanks.
Daft Post Office.....they must have a new staff member. I shoulda got it the first time.
I'll get to take a look today, we were out till late yesterday.
Thanks Again,
Adrian.