PDA

View Full Version : Have I got it all covered?

fr0g_D
08-15-2005, 06:22 PM
guy and gals,

let me start off by saying that my experience in this hobby is minimal at best i have owned two 2m sail planes. i have about 2hrs stick time at best on each of them. i got married and kinda lost interest so i got rid of them. then last year a friend and i decided we would do it up again and i had found what i thought was going to be a good slope flying site. well to make a long story short the slope wasn't so good so i ended up just using a bungee and launching my delta wing slope plane and flying it back to the ground. it was fun just not very satisfing at 30sec - 1 min flight time per launch.
so feeling the need again i have been mostly lurking around here for the last couple of weeks and have basically made up my mind that i want a gws slow-stick for my first e-powered plane. it sure seems like the best bang for my buck. i have shopped around and don't see any reason to go anywhere but GWS to buy the thing. i am attaching a screen shot of my shopping cart and i would appreciate it if you guys you point out any possible problems you might see with my choices.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=607&stc=1&d=1124126337

if there are any slow-stick flyers in the mix i would like to know what kind of flight times i can expect from this set up. just any kind of input is wanted. any slow-stick haters in the mix are more than welcome to try and sway me from buying this baby but keep in mind if all goes well i would sure like to get into the AP part of the hobby.

thanks in advance for all the help!

peace

fr0g :D

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-15-2005, 07:32 PM
That's a great plane choice - Congrats - and it will handle AP perfectly once setup with a brushless and lipos.

The Slowstick already comes with a motor, so I don't see why you need the one listed in the photos.

Get a couple of extra props - it likes to break them if you don't land proper.

That battery is acceptable - Same one I used when starting out. I was getting about 7-8min flights out of it - longer if I cut the power back up high and just glided around catching thermals.

If you find you really like this hobby, step up and get a lipo pack and charger - they will easily keep that plane up for 45mins on a charge.

Sky Sharkster
08-15-2005, 08:56 PM
To frOg D, First of all, welcome to E-Flying! The "Slow Stick" is a great first plane and you can easily upgrade the power once you get some flight time. I'm not so sure about the Radio, however. From the photo it looks like the GWS brand radio and if so they will likely include their lightweight single-conversion receiver. Don't know if this is true everywhere but our experience (Colorado) with these is that they are VERY susceptible to glitches and interference. Sometimes it's a mild "Twitch" of the plane that lasts a second or two, other times it locks a servo into full deflection and you bring the plane home in a small bag. For $ 190 you can get a "Stick" (about $ 40.00) and a major brand radio with a better quality RX. Two that come to mind are the Hitec "Laser 4" and the Futaba "4YF". These both come with Nicads and wall charger for the TX, a couple of servos, and (if you specify) a dual conversion FM RX with dedicated crystal. I'm sure you can get the same type package from Airtronics and JR if you shop a little. Since you've researched this far, why not find a local flying field, go there and ask fliers what radios they like? Get some first-hand info and see the radios. Please understand, I'm not slamming GWS, they make fine products, planes, servos, but as far as receivers, I believe you could do better for about the same (total) price.
Also NitroAddict is right about the motor, the "Stick" comes with the same motor included, a couple of props and an extra battery pack will keep you flying longer. JMO, Ron

fr0g_D
08-16-2005, 01:31 AM
ok maybe i have not read enough but i was under the impression that you could only use LiPo battery packs with brushless motors. (because if you use them with the brushed motors it will kill thier lifespan.) am i wrong? if so i will get one or two of them instead of the two extra NiMh that i have on the cart list.
as far as radio equipment goes i have a hitec focus IIIss am but the Rx is fouled up from a belly flop crash of my previously mentioned delta wing sloper. the real downside of this radio is that its only 3 channel so AP would be out of the question.
i really appreciate the input you guys have given and i hope to get more. its really got me thinking about things and giving me the right paths to go down with my research.
how about camera options... i have seen a couple listed that are very interesting.

octave multipod 5 in 1
phillips 019 keyring
and of course the ever popular aiptek pencam (i just don't really want to have to mod a camera.)

peace

mikerenz66
08-16-2005, 07:01 AM
ok maybe i have not read enough but i was under the impression that you could only use LiPo battery packs with brushless motors. (because if you use them with the brushed motors it will kill thier lifespan.) am i wrong? if so i will get one or two of them instead of the two extra NiMh that i have on the cart list.
as far as radio equipment goes i have a hitec focus IIIss am but the Rx is fouled up from a belly flop crash of my previously mentioned delta wing sloper. the real downside of this radio is that its only 3 channel so AP would be out of the question.
i really appreciate the input you guys have given and i hope to get more. its really got me thinking about things and giving me the right paths to go down with my research.
how about camera options... i have seen a couple listed that are very interesting.

octave multipod 5 in 1
phillips 019 keyring
and of course the ever popular aiptek pencam (i just don't really want to have to mod a camera.)

peace

As a Slow Stick or (SS for short) flyer your shoping cart gets a thumbs up. As for lipo's, you can use them with brushed and brushless motors. Drawing above the recomended amps on the pack will kill them aswell as over charging and "heavy" discharging. EXAMPLE: My TP 900mah 7.4 volt 2S pack has a 10C (9amp) continous rating and a 16C (14.5amp) burst rating. My brushless E-Flite motor spins a 9x 4.7 prop and draws 6.2 amps full throttle.....well below burst and continous ratings. so for the SS,a 2S lipo pack about 900maH would be fine. Just remember you need a lipo friendly ESC and a lipoly charger.

Mike R
Reading Pa

P.S. "burst" does not mean the pack will blow up. You can draw that many max amps for a few seconds.......in other words I could prop my plane to draw 14 amps full throttle ( for climb out or areobatic moves ect...), then throttled back to cruise about 8 amps.

Steve
08-16-2005, 12:07 PM
If you're like me, you've already ordered, but here's my opinion.

I'm on my 3rd reincarnation of my SS, so I've learned a few things....

Get the 350 motor, not the 300. Make sure it has the D gear. Get 2 extra shafts, 1 extra pinion, 2 extra gears and 1 extra gearbox.

Those batteries are not great. Get 2 KAN 1050 7cell batteries from CheapBatteryPacks.com Get them in "hump" configuration.

Definitely get a better receiver and transmitter. The receiver is the heart of your system. If you loose control of your plane, even for a second, it can spell disaster.

I would also recommend getting a higher quality ESC. The Castle Creations Pixie 7 would be a good fit here.

There you go. It's easy...just spend more money!!!!:p

Steve

wingman
08-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Great choice! I agree that you might consider going to a different radio. I had a Hitec focus FM (3 channel) in mine and had to upgrade to a Hitec Laser 4 channel when I decided to try aerial Photography. I have a modded Aiptek camera and the 300 motor does fine with it although a little more power would be nice. One other thing to consider if you decide on lipos is you need a esc that is designed for lipos. I don't know what comes in the kit. They have to shut down before going below 3 volts per cell or you will ruin the battery. You also need a battery charger that is made for them too. I bought the basic kit that included the 300 motor, gear drive, and prop. I picked out the Esc, radio, and battery/charger that suited me. I am running a 700 mah humpback nimh similar to the one you show and I get 12 to 15 min flights.