PDA

View Full Version : Nice water/snow plane

FREEBIRD
12-14-2009, 12:01 AM
House of Balsa Chea Pass seaplane. Works great on snow, no tip-overs, ground handling is great. Will fly on a variety of power systems, the airframe is strong. Running this one on an e-flight 450 and 1300 3 cell pack, flys like a slowflyer. It's been seeing a lot of powder so far this year. Kit is $50, goes together easy.:D

gramps2361
12-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Hey freebird welcome to wattflyer's ya you folks have seen your share of snow already. Looks like it will handle the snow just fine. Stay warm and have fun.
John

birdDog
12-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Ya know, never thought about that! I'm gonna get one!

Any special "treatments" applied to the bottom?

gramps2361
12-14-2009, 12:52 AM
I have seen were Larry and Chellie suggested plastic from a 2 liter soda bottle. Cut in strips and glued them to the bottom would protect the model. I have used just colored sticky trim on the bott. of my twinstar bright red when it gets beat I just peel it off and put a new piece on.

FREEBIRD
12-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Ya know, never thought about that! I'm gonna get one!

Any special "treatments" applied to the bottom?

Actually covered it with monocoat and it's holding up well, I flew it for a short while with a .15 glow engine, but the electric is way better, more torque with the outrunner. You could probably do a 480, or power 10 with a 2000 or so 3 cell pack and make it a rocket. Best ground/snow handling plane I've flown, you can drive it back to yourself like an airboat. I like floatplanes, but always hated having to trek out in deep snow to retrieve them if the were blown over or hit a rut and groundloop. This thing skims over the top of just about everything.

birdDog
12-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Having a little trouble finding one that is in stock before "mid december" at the $47-$50 mark. Sig has a big one with a 60" wing but I think that with my plans for this, I will stick with one I can fit in the trunk.;) <Blue/cold.
How is the battery access? Conversion kind tricky? Any lightening?
Got a 480 sitting here dying to go up again:cool:.

gramps2361
12-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Ya I just looked towerhobby 's site says mid Dec. 49.99 we are just about there for mid Dec. not like it is a long wait.

birdDog
12-14-2009, 01:12 AM
C'mon gramps you KNOW any wait is too long with such things!

gramps2361
12-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Ya I know but it's easier to tell some one else to be patient.:D

FREEBIRD
12-14-2009, 02:07 AM
Having a little trouble finding one that is in stock before "mid december" at the $47-$50 mark. Sig has a big one with a 60" wing but I think that with my plans for this, I will stick with one I can fit in the trunk.;) <Blue/cold.
How is the battery access? Conversion kind tricky? Any lightening?
Got a 480 sitting here dying to go up again:cool:.

There's a hatch in the front, plenty of room for a variety of packs, I didn't lighten anything, just screwed the 450 on the motor pod, I left it on in case I wanted to put the glow engine back on (highly doubtfull). It fits in the trunk assembled no problem. You could probably round the tailfeathers a bit, and make an aerodynamic engine pod, and really customize it. I just made mine to be a simple workhorse to fly in the winter, I may build another one with a lot more detail. I am using mini servos and Rx to save a little weight it's 22 oz without a battery pack, not bad for a glow plane kit. Even with the 450 and a 25C rated pack it hops off the snow pretty fast. Hope you guys get one, I'd like to see a few more color/trim schemes.:D

birdDog
12-14-2009, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I am gonna go with the original scheme. I think it looks pretty cool. Besides, I have a bunch of red and white microlite and some black monocote already!:ws:

Jim Casey
12-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Nobody ever said anything bad about the way this plane flies.
I have freely criticised the name: I think they would have dominated the market with a catchier handle.

That stupid Aquastar has sold jillions and it won't even take off from water unless you know enough to redesign the hull.

FREEBIRD
12-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Nobody ever said anything bad about the way this plane flies.
I have freely criticised the name: I think they would have dominated the market with a catchier handle.

That stupid Aquastar has sold jillions and it won't even take off from water unless you know enough to redesign the hull.

There also used to be a nice basic electric seaplane called a "Pond Master" or something like that? it used a speed 600 brushed motor back in the day. I remember a lot of those at float fly's that performed quite well. I too have a Herr Aquastar, with a Norvel .061 and a 6x3 prop on 30% nitro ,I have no issues rising off the water with it, the original version needs a lot of power quick, to get it on step skimming the surface to get enough speed to take-off with. With marginal power the little Aquastar will "submarine" Anyone do an electric Seamaster?

birdDog
12-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Still pondering covering schemes......:rolleyes:

cadmn
12-16-2009, 07:18 AM
There also used to be a nice basic electric seaplane called a "Pond Master" or something like that? it used a speed 600 brushed motor back in the day. I remember a lot of those at float fly's that performed quite well. I too have a Herr Aquastar, with a Norvel .061 and a 6x3 prop on 30% nitro ,I have no issues rising off the water with it, the original version needs a lot of power quick, to get it on step skimming the surface to get enough speed to take-off with. With marginal power the little Aquastar will "submarine" Anyone do an electric Seamaster? that would have been a "puddlemaster" & I have one in mid build right now just haven't finished yet been playing with foamies

dgliderguy
12-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I have the all-foam Seawind EP ARF, from Great Planes. In addition to the obvious advantage of being made of waterproof foam, the dadgum thing flies great! Off water, as well as off snow. Does great zoomies, rolls, loops, etc., and the water doesn't get inside as long as you keep it upright.

I fly it out at the club field during the rainy season, skimming off the shallow standing water that collects on either side of the runway. All you need is an inch or so, and it will lay down a nice wake and do touch 'n' goes all day long. The water rudder is quite effective in deeper water. The wingtip floats tend to catch a bit, but I've gotten good at keeping them clear of the water with judicious use of aileron and rudder.

Off snow, the water rudder is completely ineffective, so don't plan on being able to make any turns until you are airborne. Flying off powder snow, with the big flakes swirling down all around you, is more fun than just about anything but a good snowball fight!

Merry Christmas, to all you airplane addicts!

Don.

bz1mcr
12-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Readers of this thread might like this plane http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954868

Izaak
12-16-2009, 08:31 PM
House of Balsa Chea Pass seaplane. Works great on snow, no tip-overs, ground handling is great. Will fly on a variety of power systems, the airframe is strong. Running this one on an e-flight 450 and 1300 3 cell pack, flys like a slowflyer. It's been seeing a lot of powder so far this year. Kit is $50, goes together easy.:D
For $50.00 where did you purchase ? Let me know the internet address.
Thank You
Izaak

FREEBIRD
12-17-2009, 12:03 AM
For $50.00 where did you purchase ? Let me know the internet address.
Thank You
Izaak

I got it from Tower Hobbies a few years ago, they are on backorder right now for Mid Dec. The House of Balsa site has them for $59.99.

Izaak
12-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Thank You FREEBIRD I found it. Think I will convert it to electric

tanglblu
12-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Not that we have a lot of snow here in SC, but this one flys well off of the grass and hops off of the water quickly.
http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=POL-1&Category_Code=AM

FREEBIRD
12-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Not that we have a lot of snow here in SC, but this one flys well off of the grass and hops off of the water quickly.
http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=POL-1&Category_Code=AM

The Polaris looks like an excellent plane, I just dont know if I have the foam working skills required to build one, the good laser cut balsa kits seem to snap together so nice. I may have to take a stab at foam kits one of these days.

tanglblu
12-18-2009, 02:43 AM
The Polaris looks like an excellent plane, I just dont know if I have the foam working skills required to build one, the good laser cut balsa kits seem to snap together so nice. I may have to take a stab at foam kits one of these days.

I have to admit I had help building mine. My flying buddy built his first, so he helped my with mine.
We had it fom the box to in the air in one afternoon. ( about 5 - 6 hrs )
The kit is easy to build, everything is precut and the directions are on a disk and easily understood... Even for me ;)

The most time consuming part of the build is the sanding and shaping

He used the power set up they suggest and it is awesome.

I however watched maybe one too many episodes of tool time = MORE POWER :)

I used this set up and it gets real small real quickly.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/graysonhobby-super-megajet-wtih-p-645.html

This thing flys better than any foam plane I have ever seen. It tracks like it is on rails, even at 80 mph+ then settles down for a slow float in of less than 10 mph.

If you're looking for a truly all purpose plane that is fun to fly slow or fast, off of grass water or for those of you who have it even snow..... Don't let the building scare you, it's not that hard.

birdDog
12-23-2009, 01:51 AM
House Of Balsa Is not very good with their communications.

Alpea42
12-23-2009, 06:27 AM
We don't get snow in my area but I have flown the Polaris off water and dirt and grass and it is the most amazing flyer. Other people have flown off snow.

birdDog
12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Got the fuse 75% glued and started looking at some power options.
It looks like a 8" prop would be very close and may even take extending the motor mount sticks a little bit. Was planning on a 480 but that is kinda slow for a small prop on 3s. Soooo, planning to spin a 7x4 3 blade prop on a headsuprc 2409/12T (1600kv). This may be a little too powerful but I will save a bit of weight. Possibly even go to a shallower prop. I run a 2409/12T on a 400 sized stick plane (goldberg surge400) and it SCREAMS with a 7x6e.

The smaller bell motor will let me (hopefully) use an old .40 sized wheel pant for the nacelle and omit the original boxy one.

I cut the F 12 former with a hole about 1 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" tall, 1/4" from the top. This lets a 2200mah 3s sneak in the original hatch hole easily to set on a battery tray glued to F12 and F11.

I hope I can get good balance without extending the hatch or adding lead. I hate adding lead.

As stated on the packaging, this not a good kit for a first build.;)

FREEBIRD
12-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Got the fuse 75% glued and started looking at some power options.
It looks like a 8" prop would be very close and may even take extending the motor mount sticks a little bit. Was planning on a 480 but that is kinda slow for a small prop on 3s. Soooo, planning to spin a 7x4 3 blade prop on a headsuprc 2409/12T (1600kv). This may be a little too powerful but I will save a bit of weight. Possibly even go to a shallower prop. I run a 2409/12T on a 400 sized stick plane (goldberg surge400) and it SCREAMS with a 7x6e.

The smaller bell motor will let me (hopefully) use an old .40 sized wheel pant for the nacelle and omit the original boxy one.

I cut the F 12 former with a hole about 1 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" tall, 1/4" from the top. This lets a 2200mah 3s sneak in the original hatch hole easily to set on a battery tray glued to F12 and F11.

I hope I can get good balance without extending the hatch or adding lead. I hate adding lead.

As stated on the packaging, this not a good kit for a first build.;)

That motor should pop it off the water in a few feet, the little 450 on mine gets it off in about 20 ft. no problem, the 1300 batt is very light. I thought about shaping an engine pod out of a block of balsa a little more aerodynamic shape, that box is kinda clunky looking. It took me more time to cover the thing than to build it, basically just a box fuse and wing. Sounds like you have a nice winter project.

birdDog
01-02-2010, 04:32 AM
Tried a few mock ups since I INSIST on using the hatch and not playing "remove the wing" to change out packs.

Did not lighten anything except a little on the firewall.

Everything in place, HS-55x2, HS-65 aileron, Eflite 480, Align 35 amp esc. Dubro 1/2A horns and "laser rods", AR6000.

I can just get the plane to balance and still get a velcro strap about 1/3 back on the battery (2200 3s) if I put the ESC all the way under the tail servos and extend the battery leads by about 9 inches. Gonna have to weight the extension wires and figure out if a little lead in the tail would be better.

All in all, I would have to say that if you intend to use the main hatch for the battery, don't spent a lot of time cutting lightening holes. Probably just have to add it back in lead.

FREEBIRD
01-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Tried a few mock ups since I INSIST on using the hatch and not playing "remove the wing" to change out packs.

Did not lighten anything except a little on the firewall.

Everything in place, HS-55x2, HS-65 aileron, Eflite 480, Align 35 amp esc. Dubro 1/2A horns and "laser rods", AR6000.

I can just get the plane to balance and still get a velcro strap about 1/3 back on the battery (2200 3s) if I put the ESC all the way under the tail servos and extend the battery leads by about 9 inches. Gonna have to weight the extension wires and figure out if a little lead in the tail would be better.

All in all, I would have to say that if you intend to use the main hatch for the battery, don't spent a lot of time cutting lightening holes. Probably just have to add it back in lead.

I take it it's nose heavy?, with the 1300 pack I use, it balances right on the spar ,and flys dead steady. Battery changes are a snap through the little hatch in the front. Mine's 26 oz. all up. It may make a difference with the motor hanging on it? Looks like you framed it up quick:)

birdDog
01-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah, going together pretty easy. Got the stabilizer epoxying right now.
I AM going to maiden this thing ROS (rise off snow). Got no planes with skis and it's like 6 degrees lately. Kinda PO'd that I put the blue stripe in front of the red one. It should be behind it. Please forgive me USCG.:o

No, I would not call it nose heavy, it seems to take quite a bit of weight up front. Luckily the lipo handles that nice. One of my biggest concerns is that the battery be EASY to access. Also, it has to sit on velcro and get a "seatbelt". Trust me, it's gonna need it with my flying style.:eek:

Only reason I would add weight to the tail is to make the battery line up better with the hatch (for my big fumbling fingers). Shouldn't be long now. This Microlite goes on soooooo easy and shrinks a TON. I will use some monocote on the bottom though to toughen it up a little bit. Nice Kit! Thanks again for bringing it to my attention!

Any ideas how low this plane sits in the water at 26 ounces?

FREEBIRD
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, going together pretty easy. Got the stabilizer epoxying right now.
I AM going to maiden this thing ROS (rise off snow). Got no planes with skis and it's like 6 degrees lately. Kinda PO'd that I put the blue stripe in front of the red one. It should be behind it. Please forgive me USCG.:o

No, I would not call it nose heavy, it seems to take quite a bit of weight up front. Luckily the lipo handles that nice. One of my biggest concerns is that the battery be EASY to access. Also, it has to sit on velcro and get a "seatbelt". Trust me, it's gonna need it with my flying style.:eek:

Only reason I would add weight to the tail is to make the battery line up better with the hatch (for my big fumbling fingers). Shouldn't be long now. This Microlite goes on soooooo easy and shrinks a TON. I will use some monocote on the bottom though to toughen it up a little bit. Nice Kit! Thanks again for bringing it to my attention!

Any ideas how low this plane sits in the water at 26 ounces?

Wow, you didn't waste any time putting that thing together. I'm sure you'll have plenty of winter left to ROS flying.

birdDog
01-04-2010, 12:44 AM
House is trashed, shop even more trashed but HEY, I got a Nice water/snow plane!

Throttled the motor up, sucked the hatch off and chopped a corner off. No telling where the fragment went.:eek::o
Please be sure to attatch the hatch before motor testing.:rolleyes:

26 ounces on the money.

May build a little bit behind the mount and make it into a bolt on wing. Some day....

Unfortunately, back to work in the morning:blah:

FREEBIRD
01-04-2010, 12:58 AM
House is trashed, shop even more trashed but HEY, I got a Nice water/snow plane!

Throttled the motor up, sucked the hatch off and chopped a corner off. No telling where the fragment went.:eek::o
Please be sure to attatch the hatch before motor testing.:rolleyes:

26 ounces on the money.

May build a little bit behind the mount and make it into a bolt on wing. Some day....

Unfortunately, back to work in the morning:blah:

That looks great, you must have built that thing in 10 days or so. I'm eyballing the Great Planes Seawind, the radio-ready version is $179 and Tower has a $20 off deal right now. I have heard it is now the "Areocell" foam so it should be quite a bit more resiliant than that coffee cup foam. Looking foward to a few sunny winter days in the 30's to get the seaplanes out on the snow again. You'll have to take your plane out and tool it around in the snow and at least check ground handling.:D

gramps2361
01-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Nice job birddog you did build it fast I like the CoastGuard finish. Yes at the rate you built this I'm sure you didn't pick up at the end of the day.

Stick with the rubber bands I did a bolt on I won't do it again. Came out of a dive and the front bulkhead broke in half, then the wing lifted and seperated from the fuselage it pulled the bolt mounts from the side of the fuselage. Nothing like watching your plane coming down like a javelin, and yet the wing gently fluttered down. Want to guess what hit mother earth fiirst?:D
At least with the rubber bands there is a little give to them might not be the prettiest to look at but they do give a little. I have rebuilt this and it has the rubber band's holding the wing down.Like they say just my 2 cents worth.
Looking forward to your flight report.
John

birdDog
01-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks Gramps, Doin a little more thinking and with the floats under the wings, I think I shall stick with the rubber bands. They will SURLEY be snagged on something.

About the ground handling, I was wondering about mounting something to the bottom to act as skegs. x-acto blades? Hmmm....I can see this thing getting real squirrely on the hard snow, or ice for that matter. Maybe I'll hold off on the blades for now though......and hope for some fresh powder.

gramps2361
01-04-2010, 02:31 AM
Ya I don't think skegs with the wgt of the plane will have much effect at keeping it tracking straight. Lots of rudder action til your airborne.;):) Like the idea though of the exacto blades though set them up on a angle.
I bet you the first time yo take off it won't be as bad handling as you think. Just power up slow and watch out that it doesn't want to pull to the left like a tail dragger does i'm thinking it might want to do this of course I have been wrong before.

birdDog
01-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Yeah FREEBIRD that Seawind sure is a nice looking plane. I was drooling @ it earlier. Just couldn't free up the cash. Maybe after the Chea Pass is in Davy Jones' locker....

AirmanAirhead
01-05-2010, 05:35 AM
We don't get snow in my area but I have flown the Polaris off water and dirt and grass and it is the most amazing flyer. Other people have flown off snow.

I too have flown my Polaris off of everything but snow, only because we don't have any. If we did, I'd do it in a heart beat. Great flying plane, yes, a challenge to build, but well worth pushing through it. Get some help if needed, you will love the plane. If you click on the link below, you can view a video of my Polaris and my buddy's SeaWind. We have just a gas flying them together.

birdDog
01-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I really like it.:$ Maidened at 14*F, 5mph wind, Fresh powder.
Plane handled very well on the fresh snow, took about 3/8" to 1/2" draft which helped it to track straight. Small amount of rudder input but not much. Really skis along nicely, big change from flying off of grass.
Took a bit of down elevator to trim at half throttle with eflite 480 and APC8x8E. I will remove a little bit of the up thrust since it really likes to climb at full throttle. Plane handles really sweet, flies light and tracks very well. Rolls pretty quick and axial with the about 5/16" up and 3/16" down ailerons. Settles in to level flight nicely at hands off.
Nice to have it sealed up with no vents for the cold air. Flew two packs and had some ESC mounting "issues". No biggie, just pulled the velcro loose while removing second pack. She will fly again today, in a smaller field. Slows down pretty quickly so landings were done with a little throttle input.
Anyone who has flown aileron planes should have no problem with this in a soccer field, Baseball field for those with a little more experience.
Thanks again Freebird for suggesting this one. Good man.:)

Man, I needed some stick time BAD.:blah:

gramps2361
01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey BirdDog glad the maiden went great and it tracked good for you on ROG. Sounds like you have a winner, and it will be ready for the pond come the spring thaw good deal.

I haven't flown since the day before Xmas talk about wanting some stick time, instead of sim time.

FREEBIRD
01-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Plane handled very well on the fresh snow, took about 3/8" to 1/2" draft which helped it to track straight. Small amount of rudder input but not much. Really skis along nicely, big change from flying off of grass.
Took a bit of down elevator to trim at half throttle with eflite 480 and APC8x8E. I will remove a little bit of the up thrust since it really likes to climb at full throttle. Plane handles really sweet, flies light and tracks very well. Rolls pretty quick and axial with the about 5/16" up and 3/16" down ailerons. Settles in to level flight nicely at hands off.
Nice to have it sealed up with no vents for the cold air. Flew two packs and had some ESC mounting "issues". No biggie, just pulled the velcro loose while removing second pack. She will fly again today, in a smaller field. Slows down pretty quickly so landings were done with a little throttle input.
Anyone who has flown aileron planes should have no problem with this in a soccer field, Baseball field for those with a little more experience.

Good deal! I thought the snow flyers would appreciate this one. It makes a good little plane for the trunk of the car, for a flight off a local pond or snowy feild. I like the sea planes way better than floats attched to aircraft. A larger version say with a 15 size electric might be interesting. I made tracks with mine in front of an office building today, the employees Monday will have a tough time figuring those out, with no footprints:confused:

AirmanAirhead
01-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Gosh, when I read something like this, it makes me wish it snowed where I live... for about 10 mins, then the feeling goes away! But taking it up to a empty ski resort, and popping off some small jumps, now that would make an awesome video, "Polaris Goes Skiing" Come on you guys, get creative in the snow with these things! We wanna watch.

birdDog
01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Had a nice stall-1/4 cartwheel on the fourth landing! Pooofff!!!! Not a problem. Snow is nice, for like one day, then it sucks.

I will add that it really opens up the flying site possibilites. Lots of flat smooth fields!

jjjnyc
01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the build progress - I too have almost completed the Chea-Pass float plane and was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions? This is my first build ... and cover ... yikes, that takes time! Put an old outrunner .15+ on it so she should really boogie (finished the bottom in poly as I am going to be mostly flying off water and worried my first covering job might allow in too much water). Plan on using my 3S 2200 packs.

1. How did you attach the front hatch so it does not come off in flight? Not really room for magnets, or is there (that still allows the battery to fit)?

2. Were the control throws accurate in the instructions?

3. Can the plane handle decent aerobatics?

Apologies for the long list, 1 and 2 are most important if you have a minute - thx!

- Jarrett

birdDog
01-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Front hatch is actually just clear packing taped in the front for the hinge and I put another piece on the rear inside and coming over to the top to make a tab for opening. I did manage to put a small washer on the rear right corner on the hatch and a small magnet in the opening. I found the hatch was pulling open from the prop. Note the missing corner from when I found this out!
I am thinking of covering the whole hatch and hatch area with clear tape to protect the covering and fully tape the hatch shut when the lakes thaw out up here and I get it wet!
Surprisingly the throws listed in the manual work pretty good. I added a little just for kicks but the suggestions will roll the plane decent and she will loop pretty good. Again, I am surprised that amount of throw does it but it works nicely.

Knife-edge, not so good. Flat spins, not so good. Rolls, OK. Just a nice easy flier.

Not sure about the other members here but thats what I did.

Only have about 5 packs through this one though, Dog had knee surgery and have to help her out.

birdDog
01-20-2010, 09:36 PM
....... I made tracks with mine in front of an office building today, the employees Monday will have a tough time figuring those out, with no footprints:confused:

I bet they are still wondering:Q

jjjnyc
01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks - appreciate the tips! Sorry about the dog - I am going to need to get my knees done at some point and man, my wife would love to put me in a cage!

Figured the Chea-Pass was not going to be a great sport flyer but had my fingers crossed ...

Thanks for the photos, I will throw some up here at some point with some tips I have for building (almost built the same wing twice as well)!

Appreciate it.
- Jarrett

birdDog
01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
:oActaully I have my left and right main spars on the wrong sides:o:o:o. Guess I put the front of the ribs facing to the rear.:rolleyes:

Not a problem, works out the same in the end. It was a bit of a scare though. I like when some kits say to place the first wing in front of the other as you build the second, I used to think "yeah right". Not anymore. VERY important step!:D
The "instructions" are rather lean.:<:

Dereck
02-13-2010, 06:49 PM
http://www.hobbyhangar.com/newhh2_006.htm

Hobby Hangar's 'Pondside' - a laser cut kit descendant of the Puddlemaster, of the late, great Ace RC when they produced model aircraft kits, not 'products'.

A little larger than 'Chea Pass' and a lot nicer name ;)

I've had one Puddlemaster and two Pondsides - the two are as aerodynamically close as makes no odds. Delightful flyers on low power - the first two had 6 or 7 cell nicad packs into a liberated 540 car motor. Even on that, they'd ROW effortlessly and were a delight in flight. Not much aerobatics on RET, but when you fly off water, the main aim of taking off is so you can do a 'splash and go' soon after :)

The last Pondside had an Astro 035 Cobalt on 6S NiMh - around 240W into a 2.5lb non-aerobatic model. Off the water in a few feet if I didn't watch out!

Am amazed this kit is still around - it's a snip to build if you've had a little practice, but if this genre was really popular, this one would have been BARF'd on the cheap by China in some form.

Never flew mine off snow, but I have shot touch and goes off wet grass with one - it didn't have the power to ROG off wet grass though. I understand the present Pondside has an aileron option too.

Have about talked myself into another Pondside kit - living here in Chicago now, I've heard there's a lake somewhere round here :tc:

Regards

Dereck