PDA

View Full Version : Dean's Connectors

Bunky
03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
:confused: I have been told that I would be wiser to use Dean's Connectors on my SS and other planes in that weight class...I have also heard that they are difficult to connect and dis-connect...is it still worth it to use them?

bsoder
03-13-2006, 06:03 PM
I use Deans Ultras on everything, except for my tx batts - I use a set of Deans micros inline on those, and pull the batts out for charging. The ultras can be hard to disconnect, there are tricks if you have problems, for example putting a loop of dental floss around each one and making a loop to pull with, etc.

Rodneh
03-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I use Dean's altra all the time and have no problem in disconnecting/connecting them. I think those who do brought it on themselves by not using the proper soldering technique. Always have a mating plug mated with the connector you are soldering to. Use an adequate heat iron (at least 60 watts). Pretin the connectors and wire. Do not (repeat DO NOT) keep the iron on the connector very long, just long enough to flow the solder. The reason for the larger iron is that you can get the joint hot swiftly without the heat migrating up thru the plug and softening the plastic holding the pins in alignment. The added mass of having the mated plug engaged helps prevent any plastic deformation due to heating up the plastic.. Properly soldered, no problem in making and disconnecting the plugs.

Jeremy Z
03-16-2006, 11:48 PM
You don't need a 60W iron to solder Deans'. I solder mine with a good 25W iron all the time. It is still quick, as there isn't a lot of metal to dissipate the heat.

To make them easier to unplug, I surround the solder joints with hot melt glue; high temperature setting. If you completely surroung the soldered joint, it not only insulates the connection, but provides a handy gripping area behind the plug body.

The only problem with that system is that it can be a hassle to remove the plug in the future, if you want to use it on another plane. It takes patience, picking away at it with the needlenose pliers.

TManiaci
03-17-2006, 12:53 AM
:confused: I have been told that I would be wiser to use Dean's Connectors on my SS and other planes in that weight class...I have also heard that they are difficult to connect and dis-connect...is it still worth it to use them?

The Deans "Mini" plugs are rated for 15 amps max. Anything over that, you should step up to the Deans Ultra plugs.

Matt Kirsch
03-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah, for a Slow Stick, the Deans Ultras are overkill. Serious overkill. Use the Deans Micro 2R polarized connectors between the battery and ESC. The non-polarized are just too risky because you can plug them in backwards.

The most important thing is, no matter what you choose, stick with it. Don't put a different connector on each plane or you will drive yourself positively batty trying to keep it all straight. Pick a connector for the small stuff, and a connector for everything else. Some people have even gone as far as standardizing on ONE, but as I said, the big Deans Ultras are overkill for small stuff.

bsoder
03-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Whether or not they're overkill depends on what motor you're using on your slowstick...

Yeah, for a Slow Stick, the Deans Ultras are overkill. Serious overkill. Use the Deans Micro 2R polarized connectors between the battery and ESC. The non-polarized are just too risky because you can plug them in backwards.

The most important thing is, no matter what you choose, stick with it. Don't put a different connector on each plane or you will drive yourself positively batty trying to keep it all straight. Pick a connector for the small stuff, and a connector for everything else. Some people have even gone as far as standardizing on ONE, but as I said, the big Deans Ultras are overkill for small stuff.

Rodneh
03-17-2006, 05:00 PM
If you are drawing 10 amps or more, the smaller Deans are not adequate unless you can stand a serious power loss in the connectors.

Jeremy Z
03-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Overkill or not, it is easier to stick with Deans for everything. The only question is whether it's worth the weight & size.

Personally, I use the Deans Ultra on everything, even if they are ridiculously beefy for the application. It makes those components easy to harvest and put on other planes, should the need arise. Sharing batteries is another good reason.

Don Sims
03-18-2006, 12:32 AM
I do the same thing. I have enough trouble remembering my wifes name much less what kind of connector goes with what plane. Deans Ultra on all. I don't fly any micros though, speed 180 size and up.

rivanna
03-19-2006, 01:45 PM
You can make the Deans Ultras easier to disconnect by the following approaches which have been suggested in hobby magazines----use your Dremel and cut shallow grooves on the plastic bodies and/or use a very light coat of vaseline on the spring portion of these connectors. IMHO the Deans co. could do us a great favor by providing these plugs with the grooves already cut into the plastic!!!! Rivanna---AMA1785

Warden
03-19-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm a Sermos (Anderson Power Poles) fan myself. Sermos connectors give you a polarized connection that can be configured in different ways for different applications....one way for nicad/nimh another way for lipos, etc. There are no exposed connections or wires, they can handle gobs of current and they are easy to connect and disconnect. They are overkill for small applications (I use JST's for the little stuff) but the backside of the housing can be cut off to make the connector less bulky and cut down on weight. Also, they come in different colors so you can use one color for speed control, one color for charger, etc.

Jeremy Z
03-20-2006, 03:23 AM
You can make the Deans Ultras easier to disconnect

What I do is apply some hot glue around the soldered connections on the back of the plugs. I put it all around, enough to insulate them electrically, and to give something to grab onto. It sounds sloppy, but it works really well. You can even use the high temperature stuff.

I'd be a bit leery of grinding even shallow grooves into the bodies of the connectors. You don't know how close the tolerances are inside the connectors.

To each his own though!

If I had it to do over again, I'd consider the APP plugs. They are bulkier than Deans though... We use them at work sometimes; huge ones in the 150 A range. They also require a crimper which is pretty specialized, if I understand correctly. (another $50)

Warden
03-20-2006, 11:36 AM
The Sermos/Anderson Power Pole connectors for model aircraft purposes come in two parts, the contact and the housing. The contacts come in three sizes which accomodate wire from 20/18 gauge up to 10 gauge. The contacts are different sizes but they all fit in the same size housing. You can either solder or crimp the wire to the contact. Soldering is easy with the right size iron but crimping is even easier yet, especially if you're using large gauge wire.

The contacts are pushed into the back side of the housing and snap into place. They can easily be removed if you want to swap things around, change colors or housing configuration or whatever. Like I said, they are very versatile.

There's an article on APP's that goes into great detail on how the APP system but I can't locate it right now. If I come up with it I'll post a link here.

flyranger
03-20-2006, 01:16 PM
I use the 3.5mm "bullet" connectors on everything. They are lightweight and good up to 35amps or so. I cover them with red and black heat shrink for polarity. Yes, you can connect them backwards, but a little care and paying attention when doing your pre-flight will take care of that!

Warden
03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Here's a link to a very informative article on using Sermos connectors. There's some very interesting info in this article:

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.shtml

sammck
06-13-2006, 02:35 AM
I had found a technique for disconnecting Deans ultra connectors that works very well. On the wide side of the plastic body of both the male and the female connectors, between the two connector tabs, i drill a small (1/32"-1/16"), shallow (1/16") hole. This hole does not reach either connector tab and is so small as to be structurally insignificant.

Then, when I want to disconnect the connectors, I grab a pair of external retaining ring pliers --

http://www.wihatools.com/images/Pliers_Basic/32689_RR_Ext_px280.gif

I then insert the plier pins into each hole, and squeeze. It is quick and effortless, and adds no weight.

Merlin
06-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I use Dean's altra all the time and have no problem in disconnecting/connecting them. I think those who do brought it on themselves by not using the proper soldering technique. Always have a mating plug mated with the connector you are soldering to. Use an adequate heat iron (at least 60 watts). Pretin the connectors and wire. Do not (repeat DO NOT) keep the iron on the connector very long, just long enough to flow the solder. The reason for the larger iron is that you can get the joint hot swiftly without the heat migrating up thru the plug and softening the plastic holding the pins in alignment. The added mass of having the mated plug engaged helps prevent any plastic deformation due to heating up the plastic.. Properly soldered, no problem in making and disconnecting the plugs.

It's not a good idea to plug the connectors together while soldering no matter how big you iron may be. If the plastic get the slightest bit soft, the pressure of the springs on the male blades will force the female blades into the plastic ruining the female connector. This makes them fit together too loosely and diminishes the integrity of the connection especially on hi-amp applications. I ruined a set like this when I first began using deans. The connectors still looked perfectly normal with no signs of melting, but they had indeed deformed just enough to fit much more loosely than before soldering.

BTU44
06-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Jeremy,

I also use hot glue in the use you describe. To ease removal of hot glue, get it wet with alcohol. It seems to break its adhesive hold.

jimweda
10-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Hey flyranger,
You might want to try a little trick I learned if you like using the bullet type connectors. On every application, make sure you always put for example, lets say for the battery, put a male on black wire and female on red wire and do the reverse for your ESC. This way you can never connect it wrong because it will only fit one of the two wires. Just a little safety feature in case you get caught up in conversation or something while connecting your electronics.

Jim

I use the 3.5mm "bullet" connectors on everything. They are lightweight and good up to 35amps or so. I cover them with red and black heat shrink for polarity. Yes, you can connect them backwards, but a little care and paying attention when doing your pre-flight will take care of that!

dk_aero
10-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Here's a link to a very informative article on using Sermos connectors. There's some very interesting info in this article:

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.shtml

Precisely why I like them better than Deans...

sammck
10-06-2008, 04:21 AM
Hey flyranger,
for the battery, put a male on black wire and female on red wire.

This solves the reverse hookup problem, but introduces a potential short-circuit risk. The reason you are supposed to use two female connectors for both battery connections is that it makes it very difficult to accidentally short the battery leads together with loose disconnected batteries and wiring lying around in a plane or a transport container. Not worth the additional risk, if you ask me.

constantCrash
10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I use E-Flite EC3 connectors which are just bullet connectors in a protective housing. They are easer to put on, theorticly handle more current, and look nice.

cyclops2
10-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Since I have tried almost everything in my life time, I can say that NONE are easy for a person who is new at doing their own modifications.

This is DEFINATELY a part of modeling, that belonging to a good flying club would save batteries, ESC, motors and a lot of anger.

I would gladly do the first few with a person to get them confident.

stevecooper
10-10-2008, 12:42 AM
One eye'ed Bub:"good flying club would save batteries, ESC, motors" Be'in a watt-flyer member works well too!:D Good post'in there my bub:ws:,steve

Buck Rogers
10-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I've been using Deans Ultras for some time now and I find them a) Expensive b) Difficult to solder properly c) Difficult to pull apart.

I'm planning to change to bullet connectors for everything in the near future.

mathew
05-22-2009, 08:15 AM
visit these links for aerospace and industrial connectors
Aerospace connectors (http://www.souriau.com/index.php?id=552)
Industrial-connectors (http://www.souriau-industrial.com/en/product_ranges_overview)

blueapplepaste
05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
I used to use Deans but I never really liked them. They're such a pain to get together and apart, and this is soldering them correctly. Having to modify them or use some tool to get them apart means that they're crappy in my eyes.

I switched to Anderson Power Poles and couldn't be happier with them. I'm never using Deans again.

riverrat
05-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Has anyone tried the knock off's from Hobby City?? The price is right, & they are grooved! Supposed to be compatible with Deans Ultra???

Thanks
Jimmy

Bill Linske
05-22-2009, 06:53 PM
The latest issue of Model Aviation (AMA) has an article about a Himaxx International Products (HPI) connector that looks like a bullet connector, but is slotted for the Dean's Plug. From what I can see is that it makes it easy to solder a wire to the bullet plug and that solders to the Dean's. It looks like a winner.

The MPi couplers for Dean's Plugs are in MA June 2009 issue (Volume 35 No. 6, under "Electrics" on page 108.

MustangMan
05-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Has anyone tried the knock off's from Hobby City?? The price is right, & they are grooved! Supposed to be compatible with Deans Ultra???

Thanks
Jimmy

I use them all the time. They fit snugly like real Dean's. The grooves make it a bit easier pulling them appart. As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to use this type connector, they're fine. I mate them with an unused connector during soldering to prevent contact misalignment due to plastic body softening.

riverrat
05-22-2009, 07:48 PM
I use them all the time. They fit snugly like real Dean's. The grooves make it a bit easier pulling them appart. As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to use this type connector, they're fine. I mate them with an unused connector during soldering to prevent contact misalignment due to plastic body softening.

Thanks!

Right now they are on back order! I am going to try some!

Have a good one!!
Jimmy

riverrat
06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Hobby City informed me they do not stock the T pin connectors any longer!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy

MustangMan
06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Hobby City informed me they do not stock the T pin connectors any longer!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy

Judging by their offerings in the Connectors section and the fact that all their higher capacity Lipos have them, it appears they are going exclusively to EC3 for larger capacities and JST's for small ones.

constantCrash
06-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Actually, their higher capacity batteries are not using EC3, they are using a special HobbyCity EC3 like (bullets in a housing) connector. Anybody else notice how all the smaller packs that have pictures now hide the ends of the wire?

Anyhow I'd rather buy my packs with no connector on them.

XWind
06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Deans are very good connectors and yes they are a pain to pull apart especially if you have big sausage fingers such as myself. I just hold the female end with 2 fingers and use a pair of pliers and carefully pull on the male end until they come apart. However, I am going to look into using the hot glue method, sounds like thats a good fix.

riverrat
06-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Deans are very good connectors and yes they are a pain to pull apart especially if you have big sausage fingers such as myself. I just hold the female end with 2 fingers and use a pair of pliers and carefully pull on the male end until they come apart. However, I am going to look into using the hot glue method, sounds like thats a good fix.

Mr. Xwind!

My way of thinking is maybe it makes good contact, if it's hard to make up & hard to open!!

Later1
Jimmy

MustangMan
06-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Actually, their higher capacity batteries are not using EC3, they are using a special HobbyCity EC3 like (bullets in a housing) connector. Anybody else notice how all the smaller packs that have pictures now hide the ends of the wire?

Anyhow I'd rather buy my packs with no connector on them.

Indeed it appears that all packs 2500 mAh and over have these Flightmax 4mm bullet (http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8939) connectors on them. I bought some Zippy-r 2300's about a month ago and they had no connector on them. I received a Zippy-Ec 1300 and a Rhino 1750 last week and I don't think either have connectors on them. I'll check tonight to make sure.

At least some of the really small packs appear to have JST's on them.

MustangMan
06-05-2009, 04:03 AM
ok, I was wrong.:red: Both of the lipos I received last week have T-connectors.

constantCrash
06-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Flying buddy just called me and said he got his Flightmax zippy 1300's and they came with EC3 connectors on them.

Of course this happens right after I converted his ESC from ESC to Deans ;-)

groundrushesup
06-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Boy, its really a shame that hobbycity doesn't have those bulk deans connectors any more (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10788). :p>

constantCrash
06-22-2009, 06:00 PM
yeah, but those arn't the improved HXT T-connectors with the riddges. My money is that there's a patent dispute over them and Deans won. Whish is a shame because the HXT with ridges WERE better than Deans. It really dosn't matter to me since I use EC3 ;-)

Boy, its really a shame that hobbycity doesn't have those bulk deans connectors any more (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10788). :p>

groundrushesup
06-22-2009, 06:03 PM
yeah, but those arn't the improved HXT T-connectors with the riddges. My money is that there's a patent dispute over them and Deans won. Whish is a shame because the HXT with ridges WERE better than Deans. It really dosn't matter to me since I use EC3 ;-)

It was meant as a heads-up to peeps like myself who still use deans and might wonder where to find them nowadays.

capn chaos
06-22-2009, 07:02 PM
We all have opinions about connectors but the bottom line is this. If you don't use good soldering techniques then you're going to have a bad connection, cold solder, etc.
I have been soldering connections for 40 years, pl 259's tnc's bnc's and other electronic connections while doing Vhf, loran, gps installations. These connections could never be soldered with anything less than a 60 Watt iron. (why not use a 10 watt iron and heat up the connections in the entire circuit, battery included) It was not until I read these posts and listened and learned from the contributors here that I FINALLY got it figured out. Deans are great, use the mating connector (absolutely!!) while soldering and the finished product will ALWAYS be consistent, firm on connection and firm on removal. They will not vibrate free or come loose in flight. They are, by design, difficult to wire backwards when in a hurry, readily available and just plain good. Not that others aren't satisfactory but dont limit your options based on poor soldering techniques. IF you do that you might as well use crimp connectors!
PS I like sammeks c-clip pliers approach though I have not found it necessary since I finally took the advice on these related threads. Thanks to all who helped along the way!

CC

riverrat
06-22-2009, 09:22 PM

Mr. CC!!

Yeah!! I too beleive Deans made them cease shipping to the U.S!!
I wish I had stocked up! I bet you can buy all you want in H.K. Deans is overpriced in my opinion! Maybe someone will come up with a Black Mkt. supplier?

Jimmy

riverrat
07-19-2009, 04:52 PM
About 2 wks. ago H/C had over 950 units on their website, a day or two later they were sold out & on backorder!!! So maybe they will continue to stock them??

I was lucky, got mine!!!! And they had the RIDGES!!:D

Jimmy

riverrat
01-22-2010, 07:55 PM
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php

Got mine in less than a month, postage paid!!;-)

They are the ones with ridges, & they also sell the plain knock-offs.:)

Later!!!
Jimmy

ministeve2003
01-23-2010, 06:24 AM
the new xt60 connectors look nice... (bullets in a housing like ec3)

SK

groundrushesup
01-23-2010, 06:28 AM
the new xt60 connectors look nice... (bullets in a housing like ec3)

SK

They are awesome but it seems like its impossible for HC to keep them in stock (http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9572).

I managed to talk a guy at a recent swap meet to selling me 5 pairs for 5$ :D

ministeve2003
01-23-2010, 06:49 AM
They are awesome but it seems like its impossible for HC to keep them in stock (http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9572).

I managed to talk a guy at a recent swap meet to selling me 5 pairs for 5$ :D

Yea, they're running off the shelves before they even get to the shelves...LOL

SK

rctimer
01-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Hello everyone,

Please veiw our forums :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1120983

Thanks.

Nina

darylm44
01-24-2010, 05:27 AM
I am not saying they are for everyone, but I have fat stubby fingers and have converted everything larger than an indoor foamie to Power Poles. They work for me. I crimp them with a regular wire stripper/crimper and have never had a problem. I am careful to make sure that I get a good crimp.

CHELLIE
01-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Hello everyone,

Please veiw our forums :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1120983

Thanks.

Nina

Hi Nina, your Web page rctimer.com does not work, at least i can log on to it, Take Care, Chellie