PDA

View Full Version : Hansa-Brandenburg C.I scratch build

dbcisco
12-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Downloaded the plans from a free Russian site (somewhere there's a link on WF). It has a 24" wingspan and will be balsa and coverlite construction. So far the fuselage framework is difficult due to all the subtle curves. The pic is poor thanks to the phone cam but you can see one of the prints I am working from. I used photoshop to scale it and Posterazor to create the tile printing. Due to the small scale I am going to do mock plywood except the forward cowl and engine enclosure which will be balsa sheet. Hope to wrangle a decent camera from the wife by the time I've got the fuselage done.

dcwwcp
12-29-2009, 02:48 AM
that plane is similar to the schuckert D.III plane in it's dramatic exaggerated shape. almost cartoon. that big swooping underbelly should be fun.

excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "mock plywood"?

dbcisco
12-29-2009, 02:55 AM
... what do you mean by "mock plywood"?

I am going to paint the covering with a wood grain finish.

7car7
01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
managed to miss this one till now. Subscribed of course!

dbcisco
01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Finally got a camera to use!
Fuselage is getting there! Am doing removable wings and starting with foam ones for now. Last thing to do will be making the balsa wings.
Tail feathers are balsa with brass wire trailing edges for the scallops.
Covering is coverlite fabric which looks like doped silk. I painted the fuse to look more like the plywood of the original. I have a little bl motor that fits perfect.
The real pain is getting the motor, radiator and cowling built.
Anyway here are some pics of it so far.

dcwwcp
01-23-2010, 06:36 PM
why did ya so long to post pics!:D I keep checkin' your thread waiting for pics, and now your almost done! that is a cool looking plane. that really has the "flying contraption" look I love so much.

keep the pics comin', very cool.

~dcwwcp

dbcisco
01-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Phone cam pics looked awful and wife didn't let me have the old camera until today, although I bought her a new one for Xmas.
BTW, is far from done. ;-)

degreen60
01-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Just something else for my Sopwiths and Nieuports to shoot out of the air.

dbcisco
01-25-2010, 03:27 AM
More pics showing the scalloping of the tail, done with wire. The removable bottom wings and landing gear.