PDA

View Full Version : somthing is wrong with electronics but don't know what?

wased0
03-14-2006, 04:02 AM
well i have a flatout and i just finished building it and i went back to the hobby shop to buy the electronics for it the esc lights up like it suposed too but it says on the instrutions that the motor will beep three times when it is turned on but it doesn't? why is that? and the servos don't move when i move the control surfaces? what am i suposed to do?

wased0

bassmanh
03-14-2006, 04:12 AM
wase,
do you have the the ESC plugged into the throttle channel ? should be the number 3 spot on the RX.

i just did that with one of my planes, i put a different RX in it and put the ESC in the wrong spot, esc would light up but servos would not work.

just a suggestion .

bassman

wased0
03-14-2006, 04:17 AM
well the servos go crazy when the battery is pluged into it?

wased0
03-14-2006, 04:19 AM
i tried to plug in it into the thrird one and it still just started blinking? no beep

bassmanh
03-14-2006, 04:20 AM
wase,
are you turning you transmitter on when your doing this ? if you dont your RX is searching for a signal and the servos will go crazy and possibly the motor can start when your not ready also.

bassman

wased0
03-14-2006, 04:57 AM
yes i have the transmitter on. and the throtle stick is all the way down and set on mormal.

luisfc1972
03-14-2006, 05:35 AM
wased0 im having the same problems. the servos keep moving the rudder and elevator to some wierd position. grrrrrr

Matt Kirsch
03-14-2006, 06:28 AM
Okay, first off, tell us what equipment you have. That is important, because different brands are not always compatible with each other, and different brands have different channels for various functions.

JR throttle is channel 1.
All others are channel 3.

Both receiver and transmitter must be the same shift type, either JR/Airtronics or Futaba/Hitec.

Both transmitter and receiver must be on the same channel, and both must be using their own brand of crystals.

Servos and ESC must be plugged into the receiver correctly. Brown/Black goes to the pin marked -. Red is +, and always in the middle. White/Orange goes to the pin marked S or Signal. Plug them in backwards, and it won't work.

Rugar
03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
wased0 im having the same problems. the servos keep moving the rudder and elevator to some wierd position. grrrrrr

Did you try what I explained in the PM's? I never heard back from you :confused:.

luisfc1972
03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
i did but the servos keep moving back to that original position. perhaps the tx has those default settings memorized so it sends the servos there? i hate being a newbie. i think i may have to go to a hobby shop and have someone take a look.

wased0
03-14-2006, 08:18 PM
well i found the problem with the recever the crystal was on the same channel but the little bubbles on the crystal didn't match the bubbles on the transmitter. so i pluged my recever from my other plane and the servos where fine. i did the ecs setup and tried to give it some power to the prop so i moved the stick up just a little and the esc caught fire so i quickly unpluged the battery. some of the wires came unconnected. so i pluged in my soudering iron and soudered them back together and then pluged it back into the recever and tried to do the setup again and the light didn't come on and i saw flames under it so now it won't even work! i guess its back to the hobby shop to buy another one. what do you think happened to it? and why i just moved the throtle a little bit? do you think they will give me another one for free? because i just got it and i don't have any money right now? its brand new!

slipstick
03-14-2006, 10:21 PM
And you still haven't told us what equipment you're talking about (though the "little bubbles" on the crystal sounds a bit like JR) :(.

Steve

wased0
03-15-2006, 05:07 AM
i have jr transmitter and servos but a greatplanes esc and battery

olmod
03-15-2006, 06:04 AM
fwiw you should always use the crystals that the receiver mfg recomends not the transmitter mfg.cheers.

slipstick
03-15-2006, 10:14 AM
i have jr transmitter and servos but a greatplanes esc and battery
I bet you've got a receiver in there somewhere. If you haven't then that's your problem ;).

Steve

Matt Kirsch
03-15-2006, 02:19 PM
What do you mean by "bubbles?"

Once the ESC catches fire, it's all over. The ESC is burned out. Junk. Depending on what happened, the MANUFACTURER, not the hobby shop, may or may not replace it under warranty. Contact productsupport@greatplanes.com and describe what happened, or call them. The contact info is at www.greatplanes.com (http://www.greatplanes.com). They are very understanding and may well replace the ESC even if it is your fault.

If the ESC started on fire immediately, you don't have something hooked up correctly. There's a dead short somewhere. Did you solder anything, like a diode or capacitors, to the motor? As I recall, the Great Planes brushed ESCs come with a Schottky diode that you're supposed to add to the motor. If so, you probably put the diode in backwards, creating a dead short. A buddy of mine did that once, and the diode EXPLODED! It was a heck of a bang. There were pieces embedded into the sides of the plane, and one heck of a stink.