PDA

View Full Version : Lipoly Chargers

turnwaldw
08-16-2005, 12:38 PM
What is a good charger out there for lipolys. I want one that I can grow into I plan on building some good size planes for electric conversion which will take some good size packs and I want to be able to charge them in the future. I know i am probaly opening a can of worms but it would nice to hear a few opions.
Dave

ragbag
08-16-2005, 01:18 PM
First of many "worms"!!!!!

I started out with the Apache 1215, $50.00, now for $26, E-tec 730 batteries for my GWS Stik FD. Served me well till some trash off of the work bench, metal shavings, shorted it out.:mad:

Work in a clean area. :rolleyes:

Ordered an FMA 402, $129.00, Kokam 1500 battereis. Used it for 2-3 years now, wish list had an Astro 109 on it, $129.00. :)

Two days ago I got my Multiplex LN 5014, $82.99. Looks like I have a winner. It does Lipo, Lion, Nicad/Nmhd, and PB.:)

Seems to be the way to go, will do up to five lipos, 5s. After doing some reading I have decided that any thing that will be paralleled will be in seperate packs so that it will be easier to balance the cells.

Looks like the cell balanceing is one of the bugaboos of Lipo.:)

Any one of the ones I have listed have served me well, I have them in hand to be used as backups when I need to charge more than one at a time.

I do Have a FMA Nova 250 for Nicad/Nmhd,PB.

George
Gaineville Fl

Red Scholefield
08-16-2005, 01:36 PM
I just received the Beta test unit for FMA Skyvolt system. This system is designed to take care of the cell balancing problem in larger electric installations and to enable faster charging than we have been accustomed to. It might be worth your while to wait and take a look at the SKYVOLT system when it comes out in September.

Note: It is not intended for the small 50 watt park flyers that many of us are enjoying.

Unbalanced prop
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
What is a good charger out there for lipolys. I want one that I can grow into I plan on building some good size planes for electric conversion which will take some good size packs and I want to be able to charge them in the future. I know i am probaly opening a can of worms but it would nice to hear a few opions.
Dave

If you will be going to "good size packs", I suggest the AF 109. I have three of them and they will charge up to 9 cells in series and up to 8 amps but will also handle the small packs. As close to a plug and play charger as you can get. Mine are real work horses with no hint of problems so far. Just be sure and follow the instructions and check (after three minutes) that the correct number of cells was chosen.

PS: I also have a Triton, TP 425, GP 4 port and Duratrax Ice chargers, but for lithium packs, the AFs get used the most.

Doug

EpoweredRc
08-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Dave

The triton is a great charger,my father has 2 and well it will charge any kind of battery you have.its about $150 I think but its great,the Astro charger is also a great charger.Personal choice mostly there a bunch out there.

CHOPPER D
08-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Orbit microlader pro is my personal choice

GeneL
08-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi! Try this : http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=72
I have had good luck with the batteries and the charger!

wattman
08-17-2005, 02:43 AM
I have , like and use the Hobbico Accu-Cycle Pro Series Elite , it comes WITH a AC power supply AND a way to connect to the car/truck battery for field use . For 1-10 nicads or nimhs , 1-3 lipos or li-ions , charge current up to 2 amps , progamable , does everything I need .

george l
08-17-2005, 09:49 PM
For charger: Astro 109 , power source: Cosel R150-12/RR150-12 (12v 13 amp). I have used this setup for over a year and really like it.

george l

ragbag
08-18-2005, 12:32 PM
In the Sept QuietFlyer, page 70, Gaint-Scale Hop Ups, Greg Covey does a nice write up on the new FMA Skyvolt system. From what I got from the article it is designed for large packs. If that is in your future then you might want to read that article.
By George

debhicks
08-18-2005, 02:03 PM
AstroFlight 109 Lipo, 110D for Nimh and Nicad. Newest charger Multiplex LN-5014.
Problems: after 5 years of use the 110D had a pot go bad. It was not peak charging like it said. Thought the packs were going bad, equally as old. However the packs are fine and the 110D is waiting a new part. We'll be able to fix it.

Astroflight 109: Love it, Astroflight is associated with reliability.

Multiplex: Love it. Small does it all in our hangar and has a cute beep. :) Ladies point of view. Cute can sometimes influence us. Oh anyway back to the performance, so far so good. Word on the Groups is it's a winner. :)

Oh, almost forgot Alpha 4. We are anxiously awaiting TME's new product that may prove to be the cat's meow! Hello Albert

turnwaldw
08-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks everybody for some good advice there nice chargers I guess when it comes down to it. Its personnel prefrence and trial ane error. But so many chargers so little money.
Honey can I have a advance on my allowance:rolleyes:

debhicks
08-19-2005, 03:28 PM
;) Perhaps that will work if she gets a new pair of shoe's or you take her out to dinner.

rcers
08-19-2005, 03:29 PM
This will be my next one......

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAU0&P=ML

turnwaldw
08-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Yup she has already ask about the shoes. I told her she has to many shoes she came back with you have to many airplanes(ouch):eek:

debhicks
08-19-2005, 04:06 PM
MMMM. Man treading on thin Ice. Indian proverb:)

luc
08-22-2005, 05:53 PM
if you can wait for the new TP charger...10S, 5A, lots of features such as charge @ 3.8V (for storage), @ 96% (to gain time and avoid overcharge)....connected to their balancer TP 210 or TP 205, with continuous data exchange, that will be a winner.
Not so cheap, but quality and safety have a price...

turnwaldw
08-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Right know just checking the whats out there on the chargers I am currently working on my first sortof big electric a Telemaster .40 conversion. But plan on possibly converting my Glenn Torrance DVI to electric when I get it done. It is really nice to land remove the battery and dont have to worry about clean up.

fdix
08-24-2005, 08:10 PM
My choice is an Orbit Microlader V6.3. Next one will be a Schulze isl 8-936G. Not at all cheap but it’s the only way to get the most out of high performance batteries…

ekotil
09-02-2005, 09:02 PM
All the Astro chargers are top shelf.