PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Thunderbird 54 - low throttle stutter

dmytchak
01-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Forum.

I have a Thunderbird 54 running the 1.5 Firmware. When I plug it in to my PJS -1400ART and start at low throttle (ie first two or three clicks), the motor just stutters. When I push it past the 3 click mark on the throttle, it spins like a champ is is very responsive. If I decelerate from a higher RPM (started past the 3 click mark), it runs very well in the lower 3 click without the stuttering. So it seems that the starting timing maybe bad? I searched the forum and have read the following suggestions:

Bad Battery - I used another LiPo (btw: 3S1P) and same issue.

Cold Solder Joint - Agree with this but the logic doesn't add up to me. If it's a bad solder joint, wouldn't the problem exist throughout the entire throttle range?

I'm leaning towards timing and could upgrade to the latest firmware from Castle. It's beta though - is it safe to run the beta firmwares?

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Larry3215
01-10-2010, 05:12 AM
The newest firmware runs much better than old versions on startup and in all other respects as well.

Im not sure on the TBird controllers how much of that you will see, but I think its worth a try.

Older versions of the software were not good at all for "sneeking up" on the throttle. Just go for it :)

dmytchak
01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Just go for it :)

Did it - works like a champ. Was just being a little over cautious.

Thanks for 'push' ;)

Larry3215
01-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Good news!