PDA

View Full Version : TRex and Wind ??

Gyrene
01-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Greetings ,oh wise and wonderful ones ! :D I have been flying my Blade CX2 and love it ! However, I need to get outside and in Nebraska that means wind ! How does the 600 handle in light winds ? I'm ready to move up to something I can fly outside, but need something than can AND is controllable in the wind. How does the 600 rate (is there better "wind" models) and how much wind speed is "controllable" ? All input appreciated

Gyrene

Wildflyer
01-16-2010, 02:12 AM
I would suggest getting the little Blade MSR, and a good flight simulator like Real Flight, before moving to the 600. The 600 is a very good heli, and can probably handle as much wind as you would need.

I suggest the MSR because it is very tough ( I have crashed mine over 100 times, total damage, 1 flybar & 1 landing gear) and it will help you get used to a true 4 channel heli.:)

I also suggest the flight sim because you can fly many different heli's and crash them a 1000 times at no additional cost. You will save the cost of the flight sim many times over as compared to parts for the 600, I did over $50 damage to my nitro heli one time, and it had not even lifted off the ground,:o put over $150 parts into it before I gave up.:{

I would hope there is a club in your area that could help you, hands on.

I wish you the best of luck, with heli's you need it:)

Gyrene
01-16-2010, 02:26 AM
Appreciate the info. Have lots of hours on the CX2, but even a 2 mile an hour wind makes it squirelly (even with tail boom, trimmed out and balanced,etc.) The mSr only weighs an ounce according to the web site. Obviously you have a lot of time on it: how does it handle outside ? I do agree that it would be the next logical step from a co-ax, but is it still an "in-door" flyer ? I REALLY need to get outside ! (The wife agrees !)

PS Have the FMS Simulator and A Trex model for it. Unfortunately, no Heli flyers locally as I am out the "sticks"

Gyrene
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Hey, Wildflyer, I hope you don't think I was blowing you or your advice off ! Guess I just have a bad case of cabin fever. Actualy had zero winds ::otoday (a rare occurrence in western Nebraska!), so I got to take the CX2 outside and had a blast ! Thanks again for your input :tc:

sam94
01-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Moving from a coaxial to a 600 size heli is abit risky.

A 600 size heli will react completely different than the coaxial.

I' probably suggest moving up to the Esky honeybee CP3.

Its a collective pitch heli, its 300 size.

It handles well in the wind and is a great flyer.

I got mine from Aliciajay.com for only 100 pounds - bargain!!! ... lol

Gyrene
01-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Yeah, you and Wildflyer are right. Guess I just have a bad case of cabin fever ! :sad: The move to a small collective makes sense before I sink a bunch of money into something I can't handle.

Wildflyer
01-17-2010, 02:21 AM
My buddy who is a lot better at heli's than me, says the MSR is the only small heli he would fly outdoors in any kind of wind, he guesses the MSR can fly forward at 15 to 20 mph ! these things can realy scoot. They are a great trainer for the larger heli's, when you can get it to do anything you want without losing control or orientation, consistantly, day after day, then you are ready for a large expensive copter.

I've had mine about 50 feet high over my house, with no problem and I've heard of them 100-150 feet high, you need good eyesight for that.

Best thing I can say, is to take small careful steps, most people that quit the hobby, seem to be people take tried to jump too far ahead of there flying ability, I am sort of guilt of the same thing, as I have 2 flying wings that I built 20 years ago when I was flying a lot of faster airplanes. I have never flown these yet as they will go about 175 mph. I need to get my fingers working a lot faster than they do now, so I will wait until I'm ready,

Good Luck

ministeve2003
01-17-2010, 04:32 AM
speaking of wind... awhile back I fixed my trex 250 and thought I'd try it out even though it was windy as hell... maybe 20mph... (yea, not the brightest idea I've had)... It hovered ok, but I decided to forward flip it inverted... bad idea... It flipped half way.. and was stalled at full negitive pitch against the wind not moving forward...LOL ... managed to get it down ok though...

The 600 will handle wind fine.... I've seen my buddy 3d his flipping it every which way in maybe 25+... flying around should be fine....

SK

MaxAdventure
01-17-2010, 06:46 AM
The bigger the heli, the more stable. I've flown a 600mm in probably 20-30mph winds and while it handles it, you spend most of the time just flying into the wind as opposed to flying around. If you're comfortable with a collective pitch heli on the sim, a 600 is a great size to start working with. Just be aware of the dangers of the swinging blades and mass of a larger heli. Don't limit yourself to align products, there are a lot of great heli's out there. Also take it slow, real life is a lot different than the sim. Don't rush your preflight, etc.

Gyrene
01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
What to do, what to do ?? OK, here's the plan: I am going to move up to a small collective while I am saving for a 600 !! I appreciate the advice and pointers and will continue to lurk and listen !

For now I am watching the wind sock, hoping for another calm day (so far it ain't happening) !!

Thanks again !! :D

Gyrene
01-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Blade SR

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...500#quickSpecs

This is the next step for me !! Sweet ! :$

Kojack021
01-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Gyrene,

I am in your boat as well, I was flying my coax inside and using my sim to practice on larger helis. I am good on the sim and thought about buying a big heli. Someone here suggested the Blade MSR and let me say, WoW what a blast and I am learning so much. Get the MSR. My next step is an Align 450 Pro that I ordered and is soon on the way.. Hope this helps.

Gyrene
01-23-2010, 04:20 PM
The CX2 has been fun and on a day like today, I'm glad I have something to fly inside !! Last night I got bored and attached an led flashlight to the skids, turned the shop lights off and had a blast. :Q

Am going to wait for the SR to come out and see what the reviews are like, but I like the fact they have the radio tamed down to learn on and then you can use the DX6 for full 3d (I'm nowhere ready for that!).

I also got one of the keychain 4 gb dvrs off Ebay so am going to experiment with some flight videos: should be fun !

Happy Flying !!