PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster?

watt_the?!
03-17-2006, 11:03 AM
im looking for a 400 or 300 sized lancaster kit or plans...

anyone know of please?

Cheers,

Tim

inorbit
03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
The UK magazine RCME did a plan and parts kit a couple of years ago for four 400 motors,I dont know their website ,but they have a phone number,01353 654 422,they also published a much bigger Lanc for four AXI 4130 motors,a real monster.
Priory Models also do a foam/veneer kit also for four 400s,their phone number is 01642 483505 I'm told its not too expensive and good value
P.S RCME website is at WWW.modelflying.co.uk (http://www.modelflying.co.uk)

inorbit
03-17-2006, 05:40 PM
pps I've just phoned a mate ,and he says both kits/plans are still available,the RCME stuff is all balsa,as opposed to the Priory models foam/Veneer.
If you do phone from aus,you may have to omit the first zero from the phone number.
The RCME stuff is by a bloke called Tony Nihuis,whose done quite a lot of large multi electrics apparantly.
The Priory Models kit is 75 Quid,but will have post on top,dont know about The RCME price.

Sky Sharkster
03-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Hi Tim, did a quick search of my QEFI back issues, plans page, and found it! The article (which I don't have) was in Quiet & Electric Flight International January 2001. The model is plan # MW2846 Avro Lancaster price E 10.00 US $ 17.00. Designed by Rob Hemmings. They have a canopy and turrets set also, E 12.50, US $ 21.00.
Wingspan 71" motors 4 x speed 400. Radio 3-4 function, weight 4lb. 3oz.
I had some trouble with my "Traplet" bookmark but got it by going to
www.traplet.com (http://www.traplet.com) Then do a product search for "Lancaster". 5 items, top one is the "400" sized model.
Can we expect to see it flying by,...Oh, say next month?
Ron

watt_the?!
03-18-2006, 03:47 AM
i think ill favour the kit actually..not cheap eh?

my problem is the time zone...i think we're 8.5 hours ahead...so i need to call evening time.

shipping could be a problem fo sho.

i havent even been able to find any existing builds/videos etc of an e powere lanc....(?)

Tim

watt_the?!
03-18-2006, 03:57 AM
i just ordered the plans and canopy set....plus the mini depron plans from traplet...thanks guys!

i still may get the Priory one anyways.. the wife isnt impressed.

Chook
03-24-2006, 09:03 PM
G'day,

Check out RCGroups (scale electric) for large threads on the Nexus (RM333) and the Priory lancasters.

Chook

warbird@home
05-04-2006, 07:06 PM
4 speed 300 7;1 gearboxes....10 x 4.7 slofly props......8 x 3600 NiMds and retracts...flies like a dream.........so long as you keep the props turning....from a very old plan by Peter Holland RM333...a WORD OF WARNING watch out for the Nexus lanc plan (RC 1892 By Tony Nijhuis) canopy, turrets ,etc that are available !!! they DO NOT MATCH AND are WAY OUT OF SCALE...........
These two versions are approximately the same size, but are VERY different aeroplanes.

Anyway here is mine.........without engine cowls at this time....since fitted with exhausts.....

watt_the?!
05-04-2006, 11:31 PM
wow! nice lanc WB!

Bill G
05-05-2006, 03:24 AM
How about an LPS powered Lancaster? Easy built models has a nice looking one, that I've seen in their ad in Flying Models. Would be a pretty conversion.

warbird@home
05-05-2006, 05:15 AM
wow! nice lanc WB!

She is my favourite...am gonna try the Battle of Britain Memorial flight at this scale (1/16th) then hopefully a 102" Lancaster with attendent Mossie, Spit and Hurricane..............so many models ...so little time...........

"turrets syndrome"..seen on 'Bomberguys' avatar (E-Zone)

aggey00
05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I have a set of Lancaster plans available but they are for speed 600 with an 11' wingspan.the mouldings are available commercially as are cnc cut ribs and formers, I can give you the address. I bought 2 sets of plans, one for me and one for my son in England, unfortunately he is dropping out of modelling so they are redundant, just let me know if they are of any use to you (they cost me 35.00GBP) and we will sort out a price. I will be fitting outrunners in mine with lipo for power, there is also a source of retracts available for it which I have purchased for mine.

Guppy
05-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I have been working on the Nihuis Lancaster since September. I have been running a build thread over on RCUniverse.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3322308/anchors_3322308/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3322308

The vacuum formed bits are not accurate, but I'm not to worried about it. I believe he has a 2nd version on the way with better scale accuracy and plug in wings.

My power system right now is speed 400 on 2.6:1 inline gear boxes and a 3s2p 8000mah pack. With 9x7 three blade props each motor draws about 12 amps at 5600 RPM. Nine inches is a little bigger than scale so I will cut them down about a half inch and get a slight amperage reduction as well.

Scott.

aggey00
05-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi Scott.
Are we building the same model? mine is to 1/9th scale with awingspan of 134in.
for 4X speed 600 or 700 geared motors or 40 to 52 ic engines, I will be building the electric version and probably change the can motors for brushless, using lipo batteries and hope to be able to obtain 3 bladed props, I just don't know where from yet I have not actually started my building yet as I will be having hip replacement surgery in the near future. Have you started building it yet? If so I would love to see some pics. Regards Alan

aggey00
05-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi Scott. I have just read your thread in RC Groups, looks like you did a good job, nice pics, hope mine turns out as well. Alan

Guppy
05-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the compliment. As always I see all the things I goofed up on since my eyes are regularly a couple of inches from the model... :). To answer your first question, it is the 72" version. I'm hoping to keep it close to 6lbs. I just finished fiberglassing. I think it's time to weight it to see where I am.

scott.

aggey00
05-17-2006, 07:10 PM
well it looks good in the pics but just remember you are your worst critic just like the rest of us scale modellers, we are never satisfied with our results we could always have done better in our own eyes. I think it looks just great. If it flies as well as it looks you shoued have a winner good luck. Alan

CarreraGTSCS
06-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Tim-- Did the plans that you ordered arrive yet? I'm wondering as to the quality of the Depron version. What are your thoughts? I've got the itch to build a Lanc and a Hurri.
Mike

Alan-- 11' wing span, that will be an impressive sight.
Mike

CarreraGTSCS
06-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Tim-- Just found a paper model of the Lancaster in 1:33 scale. Scales out to 43.6 inches wingspan. Follow the attached link to the search results that 2 Lanc paper models and a set of vacuformed plastic parts. Amount to $44 US before shipping. Here's the link: http://www.papermodelstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=avro&osCsid=305207e3d28286bc3cc0a7ea3b956c0e

Green Air Designs is soon releasing a 62 inch wingspan Depron laser cut kit of the Lanc. If you're interested I can post a link to their site and a video of it flying on 4 small BL bell type motors. Looks nice in the air.

Mike

watt_the?!
06-04-2006, 11:20 PM
sorry guys i have been real busy lately...well i got the depron plan set- it looks fine, but alot of sanding of course....im still more interested in the larger qud speed 400 though.

i saw the GAD lanc- those guys are good thats for sure.

Tim

CarreraGTSCS
06-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Tim-- Are you able to post photos of the plans here? I'd like to get a look at them before ordering as a means of deciding which suits my needs best.
Regards,
Mike

gyronuts
06-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Mine is the priory one . 4 x speed 400 and 8cells or 3s lipo. Easily hand launched. looks the part in the air..Bill

CarreraGTSCS
06-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Tim,
Did the other plans ever arrive? Like to get your impression of them.
Mike

EDF
01-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi guys,

I have just been delivered the 2006 Tony Nijhuis 72" Lanc plan & CNC pack via Slec UK, the quality of parts leaves a lot to be desired in that most of the lite ply is warped and the CNC cuts on both balsa & ply parts are badly furred, so lots of tlc gonna be needed to sort.

Then to top it all, today I discover there is a problem with the plan sheet 2 CNC parts or possibly the plan, see pic below of the W1 rib.

Was checking one of the ribs against the plan drawing of the same, behold I discover that all the CNC parts for plan sheet 2 are approx 10% or more smaller than the line drawings shown on the plan!

Have contacted Slec who confirm there is a problem but unsure if it is the CNC parts at fault or the plan, now awaiting further info from them as to where we go from here, am just glad i didnt jump staight into the build or spent time putting right the furred & warped parts!

Not a good start re the launch of this project at all and it appears others who bought into it have the very same problem as well as quality issues.

EDF
01-17-2007, 01:46 PM
An update....

Just had an email back from Slec who say they suspect the plan has in some way distorted during printing, they have spoken with Tony Nijhuis and now await the outcome and what RCM&E are to do about it.

And...Slec are to replace my warped parts;)

EDF
01-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Blimey that was quick, the outcome from Slec....

They say that the plans are bigger by about 12mm, as a result there will be a new plans print which will take about a week or more.

The only down side I see is for anyone who was scratch building from the plans and did not buy the cnc pack, (or anyone already on with construction but not aware of the problem), as any parts made from the plan sheet 2 won't be any good and will have to be re-made against the new plan sheet 2:(

Hopefully all's well that ends well:)

EDF
01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Just wondering how many will follow the plug-in wing method using the suggested Phenolic Tube?

Tri-Pacer57
03-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi Tim, did a quick search of my QEFI back issues, plans page, and found it! The article (which I don't have) was in Quiet & Electric Flight International January 2001. The model is plan # MW2846 Avro Lancaster price E 10.00 US $ 17.00. Designed by Rob Hemmings. They have a canopy and turrets set also, E 12.50, US $ 21.00.
Wingspan 71" motors 4 x speed 400. Radio 3-4 function, weight 4lb. 3oz.
I had some trouble with my "Traplet" bookmark but got it by going to
www.traplet.com (http://www.traplet.com) Then do a product search for "Lancaster". 5 items, top one is the "400" sized model.
Can we expect to see it flying by,...Oh, say next month?
Ron

I ordered the Lancaster plans and canopy/turret set exactly one month ago. Have not seen them yet. Not happy.

Tri-Pacer57

EDF
03-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Well all is now well with the RCM&E Tony Nijhuis 72" Lanc plans:)

The problems were pinned down to a software problem re the plans print, a third plans print rectified all that was wrong and have already heard/seen a guy having had a successfull maiden:cool:...the build of mine is now well under way:)

Tri-Pacer57
03-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Got a reply from Traplet. "My order was in their computer, but was not shipped. They are very sorry, and plans will be shipped immediately".

Tri-Pacer57

walts
03-16-2007, 07:13 PM
It could well have been held back whilst they sorted the problem with the plans, and perhaps they were hoping you wouldn't have been aware there was a problem. Still it's better to have a wait for the good set, had they sent them a month ago you almost certainly would have received the corrupt plans;)

Walts

Tri-Pacer57
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Well, I have received the Lancaster plans.
It was not mentioned in the description that this is a FOAM construction. The plans are very skimpy on detail, mostly an outline with a few templets for cutting the foam.

I have not hot-wire cut foam before, and am not set-up to do so. I may have to convert these plans (outlines) to traditional balsa construction.

Very disappointed...
Tri-Pacer

walts
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Tri-pacer,
I misunderstood you with my earlier post and thought it was the Tony Nijhuis plan you had ordered:rolleyes: I never realised the R. Hemming plan was a foamie either.
Don't be disapointed just phone them and explain you don't work with foam and wouldn't have ordered it had they made the construction type clear. They should happily refund you. I ordered a Hurricane plan from them years ago, when it turned up it used a foam wing that you had to make yourself. I told them i don't do foam wings! and this was not made clear in the advert. They exchanged it for me with no hassle. I recently bought a mossie plan off of them. when it turned up i just didn't like the look of it. They happily exchanged it for me again with no hassle, which i thought was very good of them, considering the nature of the product i could have been being very naughty with them. There are other alternatives out there. Purely judging by the finished photos, the T. Nijhuis model looks a lot nicer to me anyway, and it's an all built up model:)
HTH

Walts

Tri-Pacer57
04-04-2007, 01:40 AM
Walts, thanks for the info.

I may just try the foam stuff, but later. I am drawing plans for a BV-138 (three motor German WW2 flying boat) and a China Clipper (four motor flying boat). Both are for speed 400 motors, and will require water. I have always wanted to build a Lancaster and thought I would put it first in line as it has wheels. Photos of the foam Lanc look pretty good if you do the fixings, and Hemming claims it does not need rudders to fly properly?.
Learning to do foam could come in handy for some of the projects I would like to do in the future.

The foam plans caused me to remember that in my library I have a book called "Radio Control Foam Modeling" by David Thomas. One of your Lads, I think. Next to it is my very worn copy of R/C Scale Aircraft by Gordon Whitehead. One of your finest.

I just finished my scratch built JU-52 (posted under Electric Warbirds) but have still not flown it yet, and currently building a Dumas kit of the Sparrowhawk that I am installing small electric stuff just for the fun of it.

Anyway , thanks for the info....

Tri-Pacer57

Tri-Pacer57
04-05-2007, 02:40 AM
4 speed 300 7;1 gearboxes....10 x 4.7 slofly props......8 x 3600 NiMds and retracts...flies like a dream.........so long as you keep the props turning....from a very old plan by Peter Holland RM333...a WORD OF WARNING watch out for the Nexus lanc plan (RC 1892 By Tony Nijhuis) canopy, turrets ,etc that are available !!! they DO NOT MATCH AND are WAY OUT OF SCALE...........
These two versions are approximately the same size, but are VERY different aeroplanes.

Anyway here is mine.........without engine cowls at this time....since fitted with exhausts.....

WB, I finally found the Peter Holland RM333 plans for your lovely Lanc. The picture that accompanies the plans looks nothing like yours. Could you give us more details of your construction? Is this traditional balsa,formers,ribs? How about your canopy,turrets, did you make them? You mentioned retracts, mechanical, or pnumatic? Finish ?

My conversion calculator says the Holland wingspan (1879mm) is 74 inches. You mentioned that the Holland and Nijhuis are approximately the same size, but are VERY different. Could you elaborate?

Thanks!

Tri-Pacer57

warbird@home
04-05-2007, 07:34 PM
WB, I finally found the Peter Holland RM333 plans for your lovely Lanc. The picture that accompanies the plans looks nothing like yours. Could you give us more details of your construction? Is this traditional balsa,formers,ribs? How about your canopy,turrets, did you make them? You mentioned retracts, mechanical, or pnumatic? Finish ?

My conversion calculator says the Holland wingspan (1879mm) is 74 inches. You mentioned that the Holland and Nijhuis are approximately the same size, but are VERY different. Could you elaborate?

Thanks!

Tri-Pacer57

Hi Tri pacer.....I most certainly will........gomme a couple of days!!! Im just finishing a MK22 Spitfire at 49"........like a big child with it right now.! :-) Will get back to you....
cheers for now....

warbird@home
05-22-2007, 08:42 PM

Thanks!

Tri-Pacer57

Hi there I hadn't forgotten !! I am still really busy work and home, but yes the Lanc is conventional balsa contruction...the tail feathers are open structure as on Hollands plan REALLY strong and light with the superimposed 'criss cross' frame work...then covered in tissue and doped.....I was lucky enough to get a canopy from a chap who had made this lancaster before and had another one spare....The turrets etc were the Nexus ones cut down considerably !!! not made by moulding plastic over old lightbulbs like our Mr Holland. The retracts are cheap pneumatic (Italian made sold by Ripmax I think !) and work fine...no gear doors though ! :sad: I 'fudged' the insides of the turrets, made it upo as I went along, (couldn't find any decent drawings...and used old 'tie wraps' as the ammo belts !!!!!! does'nt look too bad from a distance.........she is light ! She weighs about 2.5 kilos, considerably lighter than Tony's one with the speed 400 motors. I have since made the exhausts from a master ...which I put into some shrink tubing ....heated the shrink tube up..till it tightened around the master ..waited a bit and then cut down the back...hey presto Merlin exhausts !! Making 8 sets any other way was not a happy thought ! :ws: Let me know if you want any more info.....

happy landings !!

Tri-Pacer57
05-22-2007, 10:43 PM
WB many thanks for the reply. I understand the work/home problem. Haven't gotten much done on this end either.
I still haven't maiden flown the JU-52 because of weather,wind,time,etc.

Anyway , thanks for taking time....

Tri-Pacer57

warbird@home
05-23-2007, 08:40 AM
WB many thanks for the reply. I understand the work/home problem. Haven't gotten much done on this end either.
I still haven't maiden flown the JU-52 because of weather,wind,time,etc.

Anyway , thanks for taking time....

Tri-Pacer57
Is that the Graupner JU52? I have one to build....plan to intall three small cheap brushless, and the 'Where Eagles Dare' brown and white camoflage paint job...and parachutists !!! still pondering whether or not to do the 'corrugations' for real or just suggest them with the air brush !!...is there a thread on yours? I would be interested...we can swop info ! :-)

Tri-Pacer57
05-23-2007, 08:20 PM
WB No it's not a Graupner, it is scratch built from my cadd drawn plans. Photos and description are posted under warbird electric as JU-52 on page 3. I have since made and applied the markings using decal paper and inkjet printer. I did not try the corrugations since this was my first scratch built electric. I used the tan and brown African camo. Dying to see if it will fly properly. I have about 30 in progress photos, but have not posted them. There are some discussions about the Graupner JU-52 that I read on some older pages, around page 6. Hobby Lobby had a video you may check out.

Tri-Pacer57

warbird@home
06-08-2007, 12:52 PM
WB No it's not a Graupner, it is scratch built from my cadd drawn plans. Photos and description are posted under warbird electric as JU-52 on page 3. I have since made and applied the markings using decal paper and inkjet printer. I did not try the corrugations since this was my first scratch built electric. I used the tan and brown African camo. Dying to see if it will fly properly. I have about 30 in progress photos, but have not posted them. There are some discussions about the Graupner JU-52 that I read on some older pages, around page 6. Hobby Lobby had a video you may check out.

Tri-Pacer57
VERY NICE 'Tante Ju INDEED, IM THINKING OF THREE VERY CHEAP 'BELL' TYPE OUTRUNNERS....and the 'Where Eagles Dare' colour scheme (brown and white !..great job!

EDF
09-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Well here she is!

Tri-Pacer57
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
EDF, beautiful !!

Shurely you have more than one picture.
Has it flown? What is the power set-up?

Fine looking aircraft!

Tri-Pacer 57

EDF
09-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Yes she had her maiden a couple of weeks ago, flies great!

It's a brushless set-up, 4x JP 3510/970, 1x GWS 40A ESC, 2x TP 3s 3330mah (1 for inboard 1 for outboard).

Retractable U/C, operating bomb bay doors, steerable tail wheel.

AUW is 7.8lbs

Thought of having tip lighting and landing lights etc but the wight was creeping up and the target weight is around 7lbs.

Thinking of building a Dambuster version next!

Grasshopper
09-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Great job EDF! She's beautiful.

EDF
09-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks Tom!

If I decide the next project is not going to be the Dambuster version then am very tempted to go the opposite way and build the Jet Hangar Hobbies EDF F14 Tomcat!