PDA

View Full Version : Greatplanes Combat Corsair - Need Advice

abqnovice
03-19-2006, 11:31 PM
I just picked a 1/12th scale Greatplanes Combat Cosair. I plan to use an Eflite 480 brushless to convert it. The motor mount should be simple using 4 stand-off pegs.
I prefer not to have to remove the wing to charge the battery, and using Lipos means I can't leave the battery inside it. The foam belly pan is too thin to use.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to make a battery hatch on this plane?

Demetrius
04-02-2006, 01:13 AM
sure, you can probably make a hatch opining in the top but i didn't want to hack away on mine. i didn't mind the wing off and on yet i guess i'm just lazy for now!
This one i converted with a hacker and gp retracts on 5stp4200 packs!

enrique1123
04-07-2006, 05:03 PM
I am building a second Corsair and it flew great with the set up I installed first. The first one suffered a horrible death when someone turned on their radio without checking the frequency board first. I used an Axi 2814/12 with a CC 35 and a 11x6 PAC prop using HiModel 3600 mah 3s LiPo. I used plastic standoff at the lowest point of the wing to make landing easier. I used a motor mount from AXI and I made a battery tray that used to go below the motor mount to balance the plane. I think the 480 might be a little underpower for this plane. You might be better off using their new .15 brushless. I am building a cub using their new .25 it should come out pretty sweet. Good luck.

enrique1123
04-20-2006, 12:55 AM
I finaly got the Corsair done, time for a sortie over the local school yard.I will post some pics later.

Demetrius
04-21-2006, 09:43 AM
I finaly got the Corsair done, time for a sortie over the local school yard.I will post some pics later.
good luck!
here's mine at the airfield monday!

rcers
04-21-2006, 02:11 PM
I think you might find the 480 a bit lacking. My buddy is doing one with the 25 eflite motor. 3s Lipoly and about 25-30 amps or so. We shall see...

Mike

enrique1123
04-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Demetrius, what size Hacker are you using? and how does it fly? I installed and AXI 2814/12 3s 2100 LiPo and 10x7 on mine and it's a monster. I love the sound of the porp going full blast on a low pass.

Demetrius
04-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Demetrius, what size Hacker are you using? and how does it fly? I installed and AXI 2814/12 3s 2100 LiPo and 10x7 on mine and it's a monster. I love the sound of the porp going full blast on a low pass.
It's the hacker A30-10XL! Flies great at 500 watts pulls just under 30 amps in flight! I fly for 10 or 12 minutes non stop with always using about 21- 2400ma of my 5s2p 4200 pack never more than that and everything comes in warm. Nice combo setup! oh yea prop size is 9x6 apc gas version prop and 1 ounce nose nut that helps for balance. Really does fly like a champ! Also i ended up changing the original foam wheels to rubber tires from gp in which the foamies just weren't doing it for me!

Old Fart
04-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok Demetrius - now you've done it. I've been procrastinating about putting my GP Corsair together since February - now it looks like I'll have to :)

I have all the components - going with Fiegao 380S/4.22:1 Cobri gearbox/11.5x5/TP4s2500

Any writeup on your retracts?

Are you pulling the prop/cowl for battery access? I'm planning on mounting mine right below the motor unless something better pops up. As I currently only have one 4s, it's going to be a "one flight per day" plane for a while.

Demetrius
04-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Ok Demetrius - now you've done it. I've been procrastinating about putting my GP Corsair together since February - now it looks like I'll have to :)

I have all the components - going with Fiegao 380S/4.22:1 Cobri gearbox/11.5x5/TP4s2500

Any writeup on your retracts?

Are you pulling the prop/cowl for battery access? I'm planning on mounting mine right below the motor unless something better pops up. As I currently only have one 4s, it's going to be a "one flight per day" plane for a while.
My batteries are inside the fuse under the wings. I remove the wing to access the batteries. Also, i made extentions of cables for retracts and servos so that when i remove the wing i don't have to unplug anything except batteries. I could cut a small hatch in the top with hinge to take care of this problem but i am ok with removing the wing. As far as the retracts go they didn't work the way i though they would work from the posted pictures! They kept collapsing due to me trying to get them to fit in the middle of the fuse! So after going threw a couple of servos and a couple of retracts systems i figure that the best way to get them to work was to just have them position so that when they are down they lock and when they retract up they are still visually exposed. Don't get me wrong they work great! But they don't retract inside the fuse as anticipated. I probable could have gotten this to work correctly with more time and better planning. The retracts are the great planes model that you can get for about anywhere from 12 to 15 bucks! Also i ended up changing the wheels from the foam ones the the rubber ones sold by hangar 9 that are 1&1/2 " in diameter. Perfect!

drksyd
05-19-2006, 11:44 AM
I think I've had my Corsair flying for about a year now. I started off with an Axi 2820/12 with 4S and 9x7.5E prop. Too much amps, Axi started falling apart literally. Put in a Mega 22/20/3E with 9x7.5E prop and TP 3S2P 4200 and it flies great. Upwind I got 81mph, downwind with a big dive I got 116mph, averaging 98mph. I really like this plane but I've been flying my H9 Miss America a lot lately and not so much the Corsair.