PDA

View Full Version : micro receivers range

Rhondas
03-20-2006, 12:13 AM
will these micro receivers say by berg or gws range be ok on these hot planes if the receiver is rated for 1,000 feet

Jason T
03-20-2006, 12:46 AM
I would trust Berg before I trusted GWS receivers in these type of planes. Most of them are going fast enough where a small glitch could cause big problems especially if you were flying lower to the ground. I personally do not use anything that is not dual conversion in my fast planes, but that is my preference. The new Castle Creations version of the Berg is probably pretty safe.

Rhondas
03-20-2006, 04:29 AM
I would trust Berg before I trusted GWS receivers in these type of planes. Most of them are going fast enough where a small glitch could cause big problems especially if you were flying lower to the ground. I personally do not use anything that is not dual conversion in my fast planes, but that is my preference. The new Castle Creations version of the Berg is probably pretty safe.

makes sense ,thanks :)

flyranger
03-20-2006, 01:21 PM
I only have futaba R114F park flyer receivers in my planes (single conversion). Never had a glitch that wasn't caused by me (forgot to extend transmitter antenna once and, another time, placed the ESC too close to the receiver). Airplanes with 36in wingspan or less will not be flown far enough away to worry about the difference in single or dual conversion. Now, if I were thermaling gliders 2m span or larger, it would be a different story!

Sky Sharkster
03-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Hi Rhondas, I agree with all the advice so far, but will add; Thre's no such thing as too much range! Get the best, most reliable RX you can afford.
One thousand feet sounds like a long way but remember, that's total distance from the transmitter. 1,000 if it's directly overhead. As it gets downwind, it's getting farther away horizontally, in addition to the altitude. My personal favorites are (in order of preference) FMA Direct, Hitec 555 or Electron, Berg. To my way of thinking the RX is the single most important airborne component. It's the "Brains" of the aircraft, everything else is an "actuator" or power source.
JMO
Ron

Jason T
03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Ron,

Good point about the actual distance from the transmitter to the receiver compared to the model being directly overhead.

Rugar
03-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Bergs are rated for line of site, which means if you can still see your plane, you still have control. I have NEVER had a glitch using a Berg and I have 6 of them in service.

ragbag
03-24-2006, 01:46 PM
will these micro receivers say by berg or gws range be ok on these hot planes if the receiver is rated for 1,000 feet

I haven't read a range on a Berg. GWS, Futaba 114, Blue Bird, dx6000 and some others state ranges, but what do you expect for $19.00?

My first choice is Berg for four channell, FMA and Hitec for anything needing more channels, in that order.

When Berg/CC comes out with their seven channel I might make a change.:)

ragbag
03-24-2006, 02:09 PM
I haven't read a range on a Berg. GWS, Futaba 114, Blue Bird, dx6000 and some others state ranges, but what do you expect for $19.00?

My first choice is Berg for four channell, FMA and Hitec for anything needing more channels, in that order.

When Berg/CC comes out with their seven channel I might make a change.:)

I did go and check the R114F of Futaba. Bought the 4EX the other day and got the R114F with it. The range on it is 650 feet. The difference in the package price was the low range receiver. Couldn't get the transmitter only.:)

Needed something with expo for my small gliders, the easy way to go was the 4EX.

MikeMc
03-24-2006, 06:07 PM
I have 3 GWS I use in "disposable" planes only. 2 work fine but 1 glitches at 100+ feet. FMA or full size Futaba go in anything of value.

Bill G
03-25-2006, 02:37 PM
I would bet that the glitches many have using micros is on throttle channel 3. This is what I've experienced, and someone recently explained to me the reason that this happens on the throttle channel, although I don't remember the specifics (He's an electronic's guru). I have yet to put a GWS out of range, and have gone pretty far.

Mike, I thought that was a cheesehead?
Wondering what a Wisconsoner would be doing in CA.

N3CLI
03-26-2006, 02:17 PM
The new FMA Encore is state of the air in receivers.
They are small light and have the ability to fly thru interference even on the same frequency that you may be on.

Fred Marks has done it again.

Check out his site at FMA Direct.

Fred:)

qban_flyer
03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I've been using GWS and Hitec Feather RXs for quite sometime without glitches. On the other hand, I never fly my models further than 300' away from me (on a good clear day). The original GWS and Feather RXs were rated at 1000' range. The new GWS has been downrated to 500' range and the Feather is no longe made. I would never use either one of the two on fast and or very responsive models, they are used on park and slow flyers exclusively.

On my costlier models I use my trusty old FMA Extreme 5s and my M5 RXs in its various incarnations. For other models I use Hitec Electron 6s and Hitec 555s, both nice and realiable products as well.

ragbag
03-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I've been using GWS and Hitec Feather RXs for quite sometime without glitches. On the other hand, I never fly my models further than 300' away from me (on a good clear day). The original GWS and Feather RXs were rated at 1000' range. The new GWS has been downrated to 500' range and the Feather is no longe made. I would never use either one of the two on fast and or very responsive models, they are used on park and slow flyers exclusively.

On my costlier models I use my trusty old FMA Extreme 5s and my M5 RXs in its various incarnations. For other models I use Hitec Electron 6s and Hitec 555s, both nice and realiable products as well.

Till I got into the all electric it was elecrton 6, then I found the 555 and they discontinued it.:mad:

If I want small I go for Berg, FMA, can't go wrong with either unless you need another channel then it has to be FMA till Berg does the seven that they are talkin about.:)

qban_flyer
03-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Till I got into the all electric it was elecrton 6, then I found the 555 and they discontinued it.:mad:

If I want small I go for Berg, FMA, can't go wrong with either unless you need another channel then it has to be FMA till Berg does the seven that they are talkin about.:)

I was lucky enough to get me four of those 555s before they were retired. I have three FMA Extreme 5s and six of the M5s. All are hard to beat, though the FMA Quantum 6 Sub Micro @ under $50 (http://www.fmadirect.com/Detail.htm?item=1268&section=1) are great RXs when that extra channel is needed. :D

DickCorby
03-27-2006, 02:56 AM
I've converted all my smaller planes to the Spektrum System, and will never look back. I sold all my Hitec Receivers, and am happy as a clam with the Spread Spektrum system. it's the best $200 I've invested in the hobby ever.

ragbag
03-27-2006, 09:27 AM
I've converted all my smaller planes to the Spektrum System, and will never look back. I sold all my Hitec Receivers, and am happy as a clam with the Spread Spektrum system. it's the best $200 I've invested in the hobby ever.

I agree, for a parkflyer you can't beat it. And the LHS did discount it which made it real sweet. He was wanting to get some out in the field to help sales.

I still have my gliders so the 4EX is real nice over the old Skysport. The 9C does all other duties, I do have some bigger electrics.:)

123Cat
03-28-2006, 02:08 AM
Get your radio, guru, to keep it fully tuned and isnt the ceramic filter more fragile than the crystal , that can have a progressive falure and should be vibration checked after bumps and knocks :cool:
Good Hunting

arck
03-28-2006, 10:23 PM
What about electron 6 from hitec?,,I used for my sirius hotliner without problems,,,,

Jason T
04-01-2006, 12:44 PM
I personally really like the electron 6's. Very reliable and nice and small.

DickCorby
04-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I personally really like the electron 6's. Very reliable and nice and small.

The small Hitec Micro 555 is also a very dependable feceiver. I have about 4 of them. The Electron I only use on a foamy, for flying close.