PDA

View Full Version : What's a slope glider.....

james aerni
08-16-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm looking at the GWS C-47....and notice one model is described as a
slope flyer and is less expensive by 25%.......What's the diff between a
park flyer and a slope glider? Thanks, Jim

Doppelganger
08-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Hello James, welcome to the forums.
A "Slope Glider" is a kit that comes without the motor and landing gear. Thats why it's cheaper. If I missed anything, someone else can chime in.:p

Steve

WThesing
08-17-2005, 03:27 AM
Nope, you didn't miss a beat. It sometimes pays to buy a slope glider as a spare parts bin, as buying individual replacement wings, etc. can be costly

Doppelganger
08-17-2005, 06:34 AM
It sometimes pays to buy a slope glider as a spare parts bin, as buying individual replacement wings, etc. can be costly

I agree ^:)

james aerni
08-17-2005, 06:50 AM
Thank you both for helping me. I've spent the evening online, seen the video someplace on the A10 as a slope flyer, read comments about how it
should be a brick, but there it was flying like a maniac. I also spent a ton
of time looking for C-47 parts availability to little avail to the extra slope flyer is perfect.....I haven't been up in the air yet with my Aero Commander but from where I sit.....you guys are making the ride so far
terrific.....Thanks again / Jim the newbie

Doppelganger
08-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words Jim.
I'm a bit of a newb myself. I've only been flying for about 4 months. There is so much to learn. But thats the best part of this hobby. If it was no brain simplicity, I'd probably loose interest rather quickly. I can honestly say that I learn something new with every weekend of flying. Then I come here and learn even more.

It's a great time to be a "WattFlyer" :D

Steve

Sky Sharkster
08-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi Jim, another good use for the "slope" version of GWS models is because many fliers don't intend to use the stock motor at all-why pay for it? As you may have seen from other threads the GWS models, especially "Warbirds" are great platforms for the Brushless/LiPoly hop-up. E-Flight and Himax BL with gearboxes plug right into the stick mount and the planes that had radial motors (full size plane) can accept an outrunner easily. A few of the models are a tight fit for LiPos but if you know you're going to use them before you build the model as opposed to retro-fitting, you can carve out the (inside) nose and "customize" the innards to make more room. This is a very popular mod and makes a great-flying model! Ron

flypaper 2
08-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Slope fliers have no paint either, not a big deal. Had full TM 400 and Zero but both met their expiration date:D Bought slope kits for both as they flew so well. Going to make the moth into a more serious aerobatic plane. Good place for GWS stuff is gwsexpert.com

Doppelganger
08-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I love GWS planes. I'm currently building another E-Starter. Killed the first one. They are very easy to kit bash. I wish other companies, like Ultrafly, would make slope kits. I don't want to pay for motors I never intend on :mad: using.

Steve

Blob_master
08-25-2005, 12:09 AM
A slope kit is one that can be flown from a hill side (slope) without any form of motor fitted (hence none supplied). It works using the principle of the glide slope of the model being less than the wind coming up the slope so keeps the model flying. No undercarriage is fitted as most hills do not have level landing areas, so it would rip off on the first landing.

james aerni
08-25-2005, 05:17 AM
It works using the principle of the glide slope of the model being less than the wind coming up the slope so keeps the model flying..[/SIZE]

Thanks Blob_master.........I saw a clip of an A-10 that flew like a madman.
It would be my luck for it not to come back up. Soooooo you've got to know something (or somebody) before you toss your work over the cliff, no?