PDA

View Full Version : Found a new camera type...

Nitro Blast
03-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Check this out from Oregin Scientific (http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=8&scid=86&pid=560) the ATC-1000 (http://www.atc-1000.com/).

This is not the lightest camera I have found, but I bought one to add to my arsenal of action cameras. This thing is nearly bulletproof, and I have used it in lots of applications already. 1GB SD ram card gives you 2+ hours of audio and video recording.

I have not put it on a plane yet, but I will for sure.

They were on sale at Best Buy for a while. That was the best price I found.

Nitro Blast
03-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I put it on the scale, and with batteries in it (4 AAA) it comes in at 3.6 oz.

Is that too heavy for an in flight setup? For the planes

I intend to put it on this Extra. The canopy is Velcro attached. I will make a canopy substitute that fits in its place and allows multiple camera angles.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2126/dsc022984db.jpg

I dont think 4oz is too much for in flight video do you? I'm hopping to try it this weekend.

If you want to see some un-related sports video I took using the camera, click HERE (http://www.nitroblast.com/movies/AVI_0010.AVI) (big file)

aviatordave
03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Now that was cool. Excellent helmet cam, looks like alot of fun. I'm guessing that was 15 fps although I havent looked at the specs of the camera yet. The colors looked good and it didnt drop out due to vibrations so go strap that on the extra and get some 3d video. I dont think the plane will notice the weight to much. Where are you going to attach it at? You might notice the additional drag since that plane is streamlined.

Dave

<edit> oops i just saw your going to mount it in the canopy....that should keep it pretty streamlined

Nitro Blast
04-23-2006, 01:36 AM
Heres the first in flight video movie I made. This clip isnt too long for those that have high speed. Pretty cool I thought for my first effort.

http://www.nitroblast.com/video/Extra300_0001.wmv

7 minutes long with some stills, video and music. Terrible day for lighting, but I still had a hoot making it.

This is a link to another clip from another club member Bob S, who put my camera on his Hitec Cessna and took it for a flight.

http://www.nitroblast.com/video/AVI_0005.AVI

For the low $$ Its a pretty fun camera. I'll get some different angles next flying day.

Nitro Blast
04-25-2006, 06:23 PM
geez... no one watched?... :(

vidmaker
04-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Nitro Blast, nice video, on a bright day I bet it would be outstanding. Does the camera record on a SD chip or are you using a video down link? Is there any way to mount the camera looking forward?
vidmaker

Motions
04-25-2006, 07:37 PM
OK, I watched it. Pretty good video. I would like to see what it looks like on a sunny day. I've been looking for a cheap alternative to the wireless spycam and this on elooks pretty good.

Do you know how many MB per min it will record?

Nitro Blast
04-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

Yes, next time on a sunny day, I'll do multiple flights with different angles, and splice them into one clip about the same size.

The camera records right onto a SD card, but the camera itself will generate an A/V signal for output to a monitor. USB cables included, and one guy has already pulled the battery tray and modified it to use the onboard RX power.

I have 1 1gb card, and can record 2+ hours at the biggest 640x480 res. Lower res of course less space.

15fps means it isnt a great candidate for looking through the spinning prop, as bars are completely annoying, but looking forward without having to view the prop is stellar.

My next video will be from my Cessna. A more stable camera platform that shoot stills from easily.

Nitro Blast
04-25-2006, 10:56 PM
sorry double post

Motions
04-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Great idea about the Rx power. I didn't even think of that. Saves the weight of 4 AA batteries.

I might be getting one. Oregon Scientific just emailed me back and said the camera is about 5oz. without mounting hardware.

zappedalaskan
04-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Hi Nitro,
Thanks for sharing your discovery. That is exactly what I have been looking for to mount on my 30 size ep helicopter. I have been looking at the spy cam that Motions mentioned above, but I want to film remote locations (Thats anywhere here) and don't have the proper equipment to upload from the camera. This camera for $120 will zip tie right up to the frame rails up under the landing gear. Zip and play :) It just went on my list. Thanks again.
Jay

Nitro Blast
04-26-2006, 04:05 AM
That is exactly what I have been looking for to mount on my 30 size ep helicopter. This camera for $120 will zip tie right up to the frame rails up under the landing gear. Zip and play :) It just went on my list. Thanks again.
Jay

Jay,
If I had checked, I would have centered the camera for this flight.
This was flown by another club member, Dennis L, on the same day (later and the sun started to shine) that I took the other video. This is raw footage, so no editing, just like what you would see looking at the clip

http://www.nitroblast.com/video/Heli.AVI

Motions
04-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one. Found it at BestBuy for $59 so I couldn't pass it up. Looks like it was the last one they had so sorry about that.

This will be going on my Raptor 50. Yeah, it's nitro but I don't think my Trex can handle the weight.

adhoc
06-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Just got one, plan to put it on my Twin Star II. I also plan to try mounting it on my head (using a hat, helmet, harness, etc.) to get some footage of my planes from the ground (don't have anyone to run a camera for me)...

I was thinking of rigging a servo to push the photo button, but now I'm thinking "Why bother?" I'll just take video the whole flight and edit it down, and/or grab a few good frames for still images...

Motions
06-08-2006, 09:36 PM
I received mine a while back but had the hardest time trying to mount it on my Raptor 50. I finally made a brace out of a strip of wood and used rubber bands to secure it between the skids on one side.

Well, that didn't work well as it was shaking quite a bit. I'm still trying to figure out some way to mount it.

The video quality wasn't extremely impressive but on a sunny day doing AP, it works pretty good. Much better than the cheap spycam for sure.

Mike Freas
06-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Can you still get them from Best Buy? I did a search of their site and didn't find it. For 59 bucks I may have to pick one up.

adhoc
06-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Can you still get them from Best Buy? I did a search of their site and didn't find it. For 59 bucks I may have to pick one up. I got mine from Best Buy, but for $79. Still a reasonable price for a flyable camera. When I checked inventory online, 2 out of 5 stores close to me showed it in stock.

Mike Freas
06-08-2006, 10:55 PM
What exactly did you search for? I did a search for both brand and model and it didn't show up.

adhoc
06-08-2006, 11:57 PM
What exactly did you search for? I did a search for both brand and model and it didn't show up. Yeah, you're right. It is under Kids' Electronics; I don't remember what search I used to find it, but here is a link to the page directly... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7367832&type=product&id=1122654459876

Nitro Blast
06-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Kids electronics.. they pointed to a corner for me and said "its in Toys" he he he ..

Here is my latest little project using that camera exclusively:

http://www.nitroblast.com/video/Pedro_00011.wmv

Mike Freas
06-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the link.

stanger89
06-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Very cool Nitro, I think I may have to get one. Do you know the rough dimentions of it?

adhoc
06-11-2006, 03:05 PM
For what it is worth, I've been able to mount my ATC-1000 under Mac OS X 10.4.6 on both a Mac Mini (Intel Core Solo) and a Powerbook (G4). I had read somewhere that it wouldn't mount under OS X, but works great for me...

Waiting to try it on my Twin Star II for the first time; yesterday my personal, private flying park {smile} was overrun by a big local marathon, and this morning it is overcast and a bit windy, but I hope to get out soon anyway...

adhoc
06-12-2006, 03:47 AM
Did my maiden AP flight, nearly a disaster...

Wind was a little high (8-ish mph), but I decided to try it anyway. Chucked my Twin Star II into the wind, but it sank back down to the ground, something I've never had a plane do, ever. I was thinking to myself "This camera isn't THAT heavy, is it?!" I decided to keep pushing on, and after two semi-bounces I got it up, but it was really struggling, kept wanting to dive. At this point I'm thinking "How do I get this thing back around and down in one piece?!" Somehow I managed it.

Only after I walked over to it and started checking the controls did I see the problem... (oh, this is SO embarrassing...) I had left the spoilerons ON, the whole flight! No WONDER it was struggling! Hey, like the name implies, spoilerons really *SPOIL* the flying characteristics! D'OH!!

Here's the video. You can see I'm all over the place, but in spite of that I can see the potential for cool footage. The glimpses I got of Commencement Bay look promising, and I was probably less than 500'. Once I get it up right, I should be able to get a great view of the bay, and of the Tacoma Narrows, too!

http://www.bucmo.net/Andy/RC/video/TwinStarII_first.mov

adhoc
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Much better flight this morning, although the lighting conditions aren't the best (sunrise, some overcast). You can see the ATC-1000 changing the exposure a couple of times.

Starts out facing NE towards South Puget Sound (south of Seattle, WA), then swing around west to the Tacoma Narrows, where you can see the existing bridge (which replaced the infamous "Galloping Gertie") and the new one being built right next to it. Then swing back around east, with the sound and some of Commencement Bay. Finally swing around and aim at my house (two cars in driveway, garage door open)... {smile}

http://www.bucmo.net/Andy/RC/video/TwinStarII_second.mov

Kosh
06-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Adhoc, I tried both your videos but only get sound and no video for some reason. Im sure you have converted it to some unknown format. Quicktime player wont do it. Care to fill us in on what plays this?

Motions
06-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Kosh, maybe time for a quicktime upgrade.:o

AdHoc, that's a real tease. You cut the video right as it's nose diving for the ground.:D

Are you using the Oregon Scientific camera? How did you get normal audio with it? Everytime I put mine on a model, I just get garbage for sound. Even stuck a piece of servo foam tape over the mic and no help.

adhoc
06-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Adhoc, I tried both your videos but only get sound and no video for some reason. Im sure you have converted it to some unknown format. Quicktime player wont do it. Care to fill us in on what plays this? Mmm, it is supposed to play fine with Quicktime. My dad and my wife played it fine; not sure what players they used. I'll look into this when I get home tonight. I'm open to converting to other formats, except for Microsoft-proprietary ones (like WMV)... {smile}

adhoc
06-12-2006, 11:38 PM
AdHoc, that's a real tease. You cut the video right as it's nose diving for the ground.:D Heh, my intent wasn't to tease at all, just to end it pointing (roughly) at my house... {smile}

Are you using the Oregon Scientific camera? How did you get normal audio with it? Everytime I put mine on a model, I just get garbage for sound. Even stuck a piece of servo foam tape over the mic and no help. Yep, this is the ATC-1000. (We really should rename this thread.) I would guess that it helps a lot that my ATC-1000 is between the two motors, several inches away from both propwash and electrical interference. Even so, I was surprised at how little wind noise I get...

I'll take a picture of how I'm mounting it tonight...

Dave Harris
06-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Hi Dave here in Aus .I bought one of those cameras from the states . It works fine on the bench but it keeps cutting out during my ride ,I use it on my Trials Motocycle but I will fit it on my heli . It has cut out ,no display .Another fault is it has jammed ,like an old computor,screens up but no buttons work .have to remove batts to restart.Any one else had problems like this ,Cheers

Motions
06-13-2006, 01:47 AM
I had it on my heli last week and it turned off 1:06 minutes into the flight. Not sure what caused that, maybe vibration.

Dave Harris
06-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Yep thats what happens sometimes . I checked all the battery tray connectors and extended the springs ,bought new nmhi batterys ,put a 512 sd in instead of 1 gig ,sometimes its ok sometimes it turns off sometimes it jams . Not very reliable. Us is so far away to return it . If any one figures it out Ill be here. Cheers Dave

adhoc
06-13-2006, 03:22 AM
. . . it keeps cutting out during my ride . . .
Mine cut off near the end of the second flight this morning. At first I thought that it was the ten minute auto-shutoff. I did stop and restart the video recording between flights/batteries, but I would have thought that would "reset" the auto-shutoff timer. For that matter, I would think it wouldn't auto-shutoff during recording at all... (I think the manual says "10 minutes of not being used" or something like that...)

But it did it again before a third flight, just a couple of minutes after powering up again. So now I think the batteries (no-name alkalines) were low. I would think this thing would consume a fair bit of power doing video encoding and writing to flash memory, and AAA batteries just don't hold a lot of juice...

I'll probably do some ground tests with it to confirm what the battery life is... with alkalines and with different flavors of rechargeable. Might have to look into powering it from the flight battery, as others have done...

adhoc
06-13-2006, 04:28 AM
Here are some pix showing how I've mounted my ATC-1000 on my Twin Star II. Nothing surprising, pretty obvious location. I should be able to rotate the camera to face either side or back, too.

I didn't fully trust a little Velcro patch to hold the camera, so I added some twist ties, looped around one of the wing "holders", for insurance...

Dave Harris
06-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Ive been through this with batteries .Standard alks went about 30mins .I then bought VARTAS 15 min charge time and are nimh 800mah. Same thing .Then I bought SONY nimh 900mah . Guess what ,it still does it . Sometimes it will run a full 1 gig card on max settings with batteries to spare and sometimes 1 min . I cant figure it out .Cheers Dave

Nitro Blast
06-13-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm not a pro at this, but I put in some quality AAA's (i.e. expensive) the E3's from Energizer... I have used the camera for HOURS and the FIRST pair of batteries finally died this weekend. Good Batt's are a MUST unless you simply wire it to your RX.

I have had NO cutting out, but read that there were some cameras that were. Contact O.S. and see if they will swap.

My cam has been 100% solid. The only time it cut out was when I filled the card.

Dave Harris
06-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks I will Contact the shop Ipurchased it from Cheers

dmoores
06-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey guys, I ordered mine online at Wal Mart. Here is the link. Received mine in about 3 days. I have used mine on a stock Slow Stick with no problems at all. I mounted mint shooting out the rear. At 15 fps shooting from the front through the prop isn't very good!
David
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4058087