PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Hobbies "Jenny"

Srush99
03-22-2006, 03:02 AM
I saw that Atlanta Hobby just introduced a 38" WS Jenny. Has anyone purchased or flown one yet? Looks nice!

Stuart

http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6080

donjiskra
03-22-2006, 03:40 AM
This is a fantastic model, what incredible detail. Looks good enough for a museum display. Can't wait to have one on my flight line and see how others have experienced it's performance. It should be on on a list for an experienced reviewer, along with a video.
Great price $149.00, beautiful looks, WOW
Don

atlav8r
03-24-2006, 03:06 PM
We are very excited about the new Curtis Jenny!
We have sold out very quickly the first shipment and have more to be delivered to us on Monday of this week 3/27.

I also have a 100 inch version under development and when it is done maybe a 45 inch by the end of the year. You should take some time to look atthe detail this plane offers.
Most are being sold to corporate customers as art work for their offices ;-)

Good Winds!

alienx
03-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Most are being sold to corporate customers as art work for their offices ;-)

That just seems twisted.

Nice plane though.

shlaes
05-10-2007, 02:18 AM
As far as I can tell, the Atlanta Hobbies 38" Jenny is the Maxford Jenny - search on Maxford Jenny (for not much more information, but hey, it's another thread.)

Solid Hit
05-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Actually it is the Green Models Jenny. I bought one last year. Nice plane.

http://www.greenmodelusa.com/Jenny.html

gsk11740
05-10-2007, 01:17 PM
I've been thinking about this one for a while. Since I'm about to have an extra E-Flight 450 and ESC laying around (going to 480 the MUS), anyone know how the Jenny would fly on it?

Solid Hit
05-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Gary, you would be WAY overpowering it. A Himax 2015 geared would be great and the gearing would give the right sound too. Everything is a tight fit so you need to keep your battrey small as well.

gsk11740
05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Gary, you would be WAY overpowering it. A Himax 2015 geared would be great and the gearing would give the right sound too. Everything is a tight fit so you need to keep your battrey small as well.

Overpowering is a bad thing? :confused:

Just kidding!

Thanks Bill. I'm going to see if I can talk my wife into this for Father's Day. :D

I just looked at the Atlanta Hobby website and they show a 2015-4100 and a 2015-5400 version. Which would you recommend? Also, would a TP 3s1350 be small enough?

Gary.

Saucerguy2
05-10-2007, 07:46 PM
It made a decent aileron trainer, currently I have it stripped out gear wise, I'll be recovering and making some changes before getting it back in the air again, there are some things that need to be addressed with it stock or you'll have problems flying it I shouldn't need to get into, that's what AH is supposed to be doing since they are reselling them.

I had mine long before it bacame popular so have ran just about every gambit imaginable with it, the 450 worked just fine with mine, the original stock brushed 390 was just enough to get it airborn with little reserve. I used a 3 cell, 11.1 lipo and 30 amp esc with it and had just enough room to fit it all in, just don't get married to the motor mount, you'll go through several and in fact, it's designed to break apart rather then transfer the torque to the fuse itself.

Performance wise, it's ok, it doesn't like to fly inverted due to the dihedral though, but you will get plenty of compliments out in the field with it if that's a factor you consider valuable. I fly for my own pleasure, not to impress anybody and in fact, hate getting compliments on someone elses work considering I'm pretty die hard about making my own planes from kits or scratch, but there are plenty of people that can't, or won't go that route, so if that's your bag, go for it.

gsk11740
05-10-2007, 11:14 PM
It made a decent aileron trainer, currently I have it stripped out gear wise, I'll be recovering and making some changes before getting it back in the air again, there are some things that need to be addressed with it stock or you'll have problems flying it I shouldn't need to get into, that's what AH is supposed to be doing since they are reselling them.

I had mine long before it bacame popular so have ran just about every gambit imaginable with it, the 450 worked just fine with mine, the original stock brushed 390 was just enough to get it airborn with little reserve. I used a 3 cell, 11.1 lipo and 30 amp esc with it and had just enough room to fit it all in, just don't get married to the motor mount, you'll go through several and in fact, it's designed to break apart rather then transfer the torque to the fuse itself.

Performance wise, it's ok, it doesn't like to fly inverted due to the dihedral though, but you will get plenty of compliments out in the field with it if that's a factor you consider valuable. I fly for my own pleasure, not to impress anybody and in fact, hate getting compliments on someone elses work considering I'm pretty die hard about making my own planes from kits or scratch, but there are plenty of people that can't, or won't go that route, so if that's your bag, go for it.

I'm really not looking for performance on the Jenny. I have the MUS and Mini Pulse for the "thrill factor" I just want a nice "old looking" Biplane that flies like, well, like an old biplane! I was just thinking about using the 450 because I have one sitting around. I'm not sure I really want to use it though. It doesn't sound too healthy. I think it's losing a bearing.

I fly just for my own amusement too. I have several kits I will be starting on soon and might even have at a scratch built someday. I just want a "quick fix" bipe and it's hard to beat a ARF for that.

gsk11740
05-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Well, I got the Jenny the other day and just finished putting it together. The weird transparent covering aside, the plane looks nice. Really nice. A little too nice. I'm not sure I want to risk flying it. The thin rigging wires in the wings, and the wires (really it looks like sewing thread, not wire) for the pull-pull system just looks too delicate. All I can think of is how quickly they will get tangled and torn out if they catch on any tall grass. The cowl looks like it wouldn't survive much either. If I do fly this thing, I might fiberglass in the inside of the cowling for added strength. I think I might repaint the cowl flat black too since most pictures of Curtiss JN-4s I've seen show the cowl as black. Not sure what I could do on the rigging.

One question for anyone here who has one of these birds. How slow does it fly? Thinking about landing speed here.

Saucerguy2
05-20-2007, 11:58 PM
I yanked the landing gear off of mine, it seems to fly a little better that way. It's not going to be a real floater due to the airfoil but it's not requiring you to fly incredibly fast, if you are going brushless and lipo, 1/2 throttle should be more then enough power.

The strings in the wings are plastic, you'll pull the mounting rings before breaking them, I have yet to have them, or the tail pull/pull wires catch on anything and I'm belly landing it. The cowl, you are correct, it's flimsy, the same with the paint, it will scratch off very easily, so adding reinforcement is a good idea, I'd suggest not even flying with it on until you get used to it. The motor mount will break before the fuse and the carbon fiber is what's making it strong so it's not as delicate as it appears. One mod I do think is good is to join the elevator halves together with some wire, this will insure they move in sinc.

Keep in mind, this was my aileron trainer, I've crashed it many times and it's still intact, currently shelved awaiting recovering and retooling, I may even chop the wing halves apart and get rid of the dihedral so it flies better inverted. Keep an eye on all of the little bolts and pull pull wire's, they are maitenance intensive and they will loosen up on you from time to time. Good luck with it, and don't be afraid to fly it, it's just and ARF afterall, you can always get another.

gsk11740
05-21-2007, 01:00 AM
I yanked the landing gear off of mine, it seems to fly a little better that way. It's not going to be a real floater due to the airfoil but it's not requiring you to fly incredibly fast, if you are going brushless and lipo, 1/2 throttle should be more then enough power.

The strings in the wings are plastic, you'll pull the mounting rings before breaking them, I have yet to have them, or the tail pull/pull wires catch on anything and I'm belly landing it. The cowl, you are correct, it's flimsy, the same with the paint, it will scratch off very easily, so adding reinforcement is a good idea, I'd suggest not even flying with it on until you get used to it. The motor mount will break before the fuse and the carbon fiber is what's making it strong so it's not as delicate as it appears. One mod I do think is good is to join the elevator halves together with some wire, this will insure they move in sinc.

Keep in mind, this was my aileron trainer, I've crashed it many times and it's still intact, currently shelved awaiting recovering and retooling, I may even chop the wing halves apart and get rid of the dihedral so it flies better inverted. Keep an eye on all of the little bolts and pull pull wire's, they are maitenance intensive and they will loosen up on you from time to time. Good luck with it, and don't be afraid to fly it, it's just and ARF afterall, you can always get another.

Thanks! I'm really don't think I will have any problems flying it. I usually fly a MUS with 125% throws and a much larger than stock motor and also a Typhoon 3D regularly. The Jenny should be easy compared to those two, especially since I really don't plan to get very aerobatic with it. I really want a relaxing "change of pace" from planes like the MUS. I was more concerned with how fast it lands since I fly in an uncut field and landing in that grass is like a carrier deck landing when the plane hits the arrestor cables. They STOP FAST! I usually bend the landing gear back on the Husky but I've taken the gear off everything else. I haven't damaged covering or anything else yet but was wondering how those cables would hold up with all the grass grabbing at them. I do plan to beef up the engine mounting and firewall a bit. Those mounts that come with the Jenny look like really thin balsa for a motor mount. I can see how they break easily. I'm going to go ahead and use the E-Flite 450 since I have it laying around. It might be a bit much but who says I have to run it full throttle all the time.

I'm sure I will fly it. Just can't let it hang around and not eventually cave in to the temptation. I know it's an ARF but at $145, it's a pretty darned expensive ARF. That's why I'm a little nervous about flying it. It hurts bad enough to replace a $80 ARF. ::o

Saucerguy2
05-21-2007, 02:22 AM
My favorite field is rough cut grass, sometimes it can be pretty tall, so we are flying in similar conditions. It will land slowly, you should get it to land pretty gently easily, I've never experienced anything hanging up on it as stated before and the covering, be it not the most durable in the market, will hold up to some abuse.

Along the motor mount, It's easier to build a new one and I think it was engineered to break off before transfering the damage to the rest of the plane, I've rebuilt mine many times and the newest version is fabricated from light ply with crafts foam in the center to help dissapate the shock should crash, it still will break away before damaging the rest of the plane so I reccomend making another out of light ply, with modifications to handle mounting your 450.

I have ran the eflight 450 with mine along with a 11.1, 1000 mah and similar 1320 mah pack, it's a fast combo. Overall, it's going to be pretty docile for you it sounds like, and taking my advice on the motor mount, will have it around for a long time.

gsk11740
05-21-2007, 01:19 PM
My favorite field is rough cut grass, sometimes it can be pretty tall, so we are flying in similar conditions. It will land slowly, you should get it to land pretty gently easily, I've never experienced anything hanging up on it as stated before and the covering, be it not the most durable in the market, will hold up to some abuse.

Along the motor mount, It's easier to build a new one and I think it was engineered to break off before transfering the damage to the rest of the plane, I've rebuilt mine many times and the newest version is fabricated from light ply with crafts foam in the center to help dissapate the shock should crash, it still will break away before damaging the rest of the plane so I reccomend making another out of light ply, with modifications to handle mounting your 450.

I have ran the eflight 450 with mine along with a 11.1, 1000 mah and similar 1320 mah pack, it's a fast combo. Overall, it's going to be pretty docile for you it sounds like, and taking my advice on the motor mount, will have it around for a long time.

Well, maybe not quite the same field conditions. Mine is actually a hay field that gets to be at least knee high. Makes it fun when I have an "unscheduled" landing and have to find the plane. You can't see it until you almost step on it! My son (7 yr old) tried to help once and ran off yelling "I'll find it Daddy!" :eek: Fortunately, he ran off in slightly the wrong direction so I got to it first.

Yeah, I think I'll follow your lead and build a new motor mount instead of using the one that came with it. It will be easier too if I have the undamaged original to go by for angles and such. I also think you are right on the covering and mine will probably get recovered eventually. When that happens, I'll go for something scale instead of the transparent orange. They have one that has a cloth like covering but that "screaming yellow" just doesn't look right either.

From the few reviews I was able to find on the Jenny, I get the impression this is a calm day flyer that doesn't like wind. It'll have good company in my hanger. I have a few planes like that. Problem is I don't get a lot of calm days around here. That's the biggest reason I fly the MUS most of the time. It actually seems to thrive on a 10mph wind.

skysoljah
05-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi
I built mine and crashed it twice, everything seems to be in order. this is my first bipe and i can't get it to stop spiralling down, tip stall maybe? Any advice on the proper way to set the CG? and how tight do you guys have the control lines? I am a little skittish myself on flying it again, don't want to ruin it.

Saucerguy2
05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
It's not a gentle kitten given the right power source, Ii consider it past the floater hanger, yet with it's dihedral, never to become a performance beast, it's a fast, yet versitile wwI bird and keep it in that context. Limited along one end, yet can kick some butt along others in it's field it's trying to forge out.

Along the spiraling element, biplanes having the wings closer together tend to do that if you let them go, they are compacting the wing load surface closer to the fuse wich is something to keep in mind with them. You'll apprieciate the response due to that later on if you don't currently. It's a trade off, but you gotta admit, being able to stuff in a smaller plane into your car does have advantages, especially if you are putting in more then one plane into it.

Further, you should always test your servo's mine were not up to par from the start and caused most crashes.