PDA

View Full Version : e-sky belt-cp tail rotor failing for no apparent reason

Moxus
04-02-2010, 11:17 PM
hi!

today, i flew several trips with my belt cp.
all appeared to be as usual, as i test flew it at home.
just to make sure everything was working before i was going to show off for some friends who wanted to check out the fpv goggles as i flew "normal".
i was looking forward to it aswell, but enough about that.
when we got there and i was about to spool up for the first takeoff, the tail rotor just failed :S
the tail rotor gearbox twisted on the tail boom, and one of the blades failed totally (never found it again).
there was no bang or loud noises, just a bad vibrating noise from the tail, obviously because it was spinning with just one blade.

this is the second time brand new e-sky spare parts is failing on me.
gearbox, tailboom and tail rotor blades were brand new replacement parts, after cracks starting to appear in the old ones, and i replaced them.
only the belt drive were the old one, but that hadnt failed.
i made sure the belt were properly tightened and boom secured before taking off. same with gearbox.
i also tried to twist the gearbox back into place after the incident.
it was quite heavy to twist back, so there is no way it would just twist like it did for no reason. so something happened.
but what?

and of course, of all the sapre parts i got lying around for the heli, i do not have the tail rotor blades =(

wzak29
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Use this, I have and it made a big difference and it will never break like the esky one.
http://www.helidirect.com/hdx450se-tai-system-wrotor-blades-black-sx450setsaa-p-10163.hdx (http://www.helidirect.com/hdx450se-tai-system-wrotor-blades-black-sx450setsaa-p-10163.hdx)

Moxus
04-03-2010, 05:47 PM
im sure thats true.
the only problem i got with that, is that it costs one third of the value of a brand new belt cp.
wich means, if im going to upgrade every potential flawed part of the belt cp, i can just as well buy a brand new t-rex.

i have to add that the failing tail rotor was fiberglass "upgrade" blades, and cnc "upgrade" gearbox.
i havent had any severe problems with the stock plastic parts.
but i dont want to use them, because the tightener wheel squeaks badly. and i cant stand that noise.

if anyone knows of a ball bearing tightener wheel for the stock plastic gearbox, i will happily go back to the plastics.

Flip
04-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm sure that's true.
the only problem I got with that, is that it costs one third of the value of a brand new Belt CP.
Which means, if I'm going to upgrade every potential flawed part of the Belt CP, I can just as well buy a brand new t-rex.

I have to add that the failing tail rotor was fiberglass "upgrade" blades, and CNC "upgrade" gearbox.
I haven't had any severe problems with the stock plastic parts.
but I don't want to use them, because the tightener wheel squeaks badly. and I cant stand that noise.

if anyone knows of a ball bearing tightener wheel for the stock plastic gearbox, I will happily go back to the plastics.

Hi 'Moxus',
like most Belt CP owners, my Belt has continually under gone modifications and up-grades.
Don't waste your $$$ on any of the purple CNC metal Esky parts - they are just junk. :censor: ( re-cycled coke cans :mad: )
Found the metal used is so soft, I can easily make deep gouges in them just by pressing into them with my thumb nail.:eek:

I have gone through 4 Esky Belt CP plastic frames messing about, experimenting with my 'Franken' Belt.
Everything from up-grading the ESC, gyro, servo - on and on.
TeleBee head holding gyro, direct servo to swash for the main blade controls - the whole lot.
All because, each time, I figured "just a little bit more is all it needs." ????
And R/C Helis are SO ADDICTIVE ! ;-)
In the end I gave up and rebuilt the whole thing using CNC metal parts from the on-line shop - 'cnchelicopters.com.'
Basically had to used all parts for a Trex / CopterX for the whole tail system.
The belt from the Belt CP has a slightly different number / size of teeth on it and they just don't work properly with Esky tail parts.:(
Then it really starts ! ;)

Not expensive too but some good quality parts on sale from this shop.
Just to give you an idea what you're in for once you start. :p>

My 'Franken' belt now is a great little heli as far as a 450 size goes.

BUT - this is what I've finally ended up with -

A CNC Metal alloy 'Super Frame' from HeliDirect - even that was short a spacer that is listed but not is the kit. :(
That spacer keeps the main shaft and the gear gear from riding up until the main gear hits the cut-out in the frame.
Emailed Helidiect about this and they provided the missing spacer.
The 'SuperFrame' is a 'Sonic' product by the way. (on special at the time)
Rx - Specktrum 2.4G AR 6200. < - - now that was new & NOT so cheap ::o
Cyclic servos - 3 x Hitec HS-65MG. (Swapped for other bits I had on hand)
Tail servo - Hitec HSG-5084MG ( new from LHS - OUCH ! )
Gyro - Logictec 2100 (could be a bit better but - - - )
Motor - Scorpion HK-2221-8 V2. ( Almost new - 10 minutes flight time - great price from another Club member)
Hobbywing 40A Pentium ESC with Hobbywing UBEC 3A unit. (cheap from HK)
Or - a Scorpion Commander 15V 60A Heli ESC 6V LBec V2 unit.(NIB but 2nd hand - so very cheap :))
(Still experimenting with them - the Scorpion is quite large for a 450 size heli and presents problems mounting it in an good air flow position.)
All the rest here brought while on 'special' reduced price sales.
CopterX - complete head gear set-up.
Align - Main Gear (HS 1218-01)
Align - 325 Pro main blades. (HS 1158-01)
Align - tail blades. (HS 1208)
Align - Bump Resistance Landing skids. - (HS1144-72)
From 'cnc helicopter.com' -
Complete CNC metal gear, bearings & shaft, Sonic 3dx 450 SX tail gear box combo.
Battery pack - Still using the original Esky Belt CP packs x 4 .
(Worked great for 3 years so far but flights are not too long lasting with the Scorpion motor.)

Now before you think 'That's too much $$$$' - you're probably right - BUT - this was over a 3 year period.
A piece or 2 at a time so it really didn't hurt the wallet too much. :eek: :confused:
A lot / most of the more expensive parts I purchased new or near new from other heli fliers.
Who had either brought the wrong parts for their requirements or were surplus to their needs.:)
That included parts like the Scorpion motor, ESC unit, ( less than 1/2 price from the LHS) Main shafts & main gears, etc. :ws:
90 % of the other parts brought from on-line shops where purchased while they where on 'special'. :)
I have to live on a pension so every cent counts. Just takes time and patiences (lots) - thats all. :D

The only original parts from my Esky Belt CP are the tail boom, tail boom support struts and the paddles up on the head.
The paddles are C/F as are the horizontal & vertical fins but they came as a 'gift' with the kit 3 years ago. ;)

Moxus
04-04-2010, 02:25 PM
yes flip, thats exactly what i fear will happen, if i should try to make the belt a better helicopter, and buy more expensive parts from other makes ^^
im still pretty fresh as a heli flyer, and the reaason i choose the belt is that its dead cheap, and replacement parts is cheap.
makes frequent crashes less expensive :P

Flip
04-05-2010, 12:43 AM
yes flip, thats exactly what i fear will happen, if i should try to make the belt a better helicopter, and buy more expensive parts from other makes ^^
im still pretty fresh as a heli flyer, and the reason i choose the belt is that its dead cheap, and replacement parts is cheap.
makes frequent crashes less expensive :P

Hi 'Moxus'
MMMMMMMM ! ::o
Obviously you're not addicted enough yet - - - give it time. ;)

Moxus
04-05-2010, 04:03 AM
lol ^^

i know the addiction already from aircrafts, to watch myself doing the same mistakes with heli.
with aircrafts, all you need is epoxy and balsa sheets.
with helis, you need $$$, or 3 weeks waiting time for parts to arrive from china.
so i took the middle road, dead cheap parts from china, and having the most common breaking parts in backup, 2 or 3 times over ^^

Flip
04-05-2010, 05:41 AM
lol ^^

i know the addiction already from aircrafts, to watch myself doing the same mistakes with heli.
with aircrafts, all you need is epoxy and balsa sheets.
with helis, you need $$$, or 3 weeks waiting time for parts to arrive from china.
so i took the middle road, dead cheap parts from china, and having the most common breaking parts in backup, 2 or 3 times over ^^

Now that's the ONLY way to go - once getting started, and 'arriving' a bit hard the first time, I figured the same. :Q

Did a whole lot more checking out web sites, found out what usually gets destroyed the most commonly with helis. :eek:
The prices :censor: then the best on-line & / or LHS to get replacement parts from - - then bent the old credit card a bit. :(

It was AFTER that I started to find out just how - - errrr - - not so good Esy's quality with their so-called 'up-grades' is :sad:
And that started the long process ending up with the 450 'Franken-Belt' I've got today. :)

Even before I was half way there, my 'BETTER HALF' decided that she'd buy me something for my birthday - enter the metal framed Esky ES600 :D
with C/F and CNC Metal up-grades. (much better quality the the Belt CP's purple cr*p)
Next the SWEET DARLING comes in with a JR DSX9 2.4G DSM set for Xmas. :$ :$ :$ Think she really does spoil me at times !
I refuse to call the 600 by that stupid name Esky gave it ! :mad:
More $$$$ for bigger, better and of course FAR more expensive electronics for that one. :eek: :{

Brought 3 X Hitec HS-5965MG servos for the cyclic control - one burnt out the instant the control battery pack was plugged in.
Bloody thing burnt a small square hole right through the bottom of the case !
It's still sitting here right next to the computer as a reminder when tempted to go on-line - to buy to CHECK & RE-CHECK all reports - then MAYBE buying.
Steady 7.4V with a good quality step-down. Checked its output and it was 5.1 volts before I plugged it into the Rx.
The place where I brought those servos refused to do a replacement for me.
( BAST*RDS ! :mad: Over $100 down the drain without the main blades turning even once.)
Brought a replacement servo - same brand and type - bloody thing just sat there twitching away for all it was worth ! :eek: :censor:
Since I'd un-plugged the Rx, UBEC, batteries and put everything on the work bench to test them all out,
I wasn't sure which was the new re-placement servo so couldn't really go back to the shop and have a about it. :sad:

All 3 of those servos are now in the 'spare parts' bin. :(

Stupid thing is the three NEW replacement servos ( highly recommended by another flier in the Club ) of the same brand, are a later release,
cost less in $$$'s - have a higher output & faster speed work just great ! :silly:
Go figure that one out ! ::o

The ES600 is just a little bit too big for the back yard, and the 450 size is just a bit too twitchy in the wind -
so then you just have to get a 500 size bird - and it starts all over again. :rolleyes: ;)

The 500 size helis are perfect for back yard and park flying even in a bit of wind.
Smooth all the time, stable while not being all that more expensive to repair if (when) something goes wrong. :tc:

That's my excuse for having one and I'm sticking to it ! :p>

See ? When you go about it carefully and logically, R/C helis are only slightly addictive. :)

And if you shop around for the bargains - almost affordable as well. :<: :D

( Says he pushing a fairly large box - a new Hirobo Sceadu 50 nitro bird - with a 'few' necessary extras, further out of sight under the work bench. )

Good thing I don't drink or smoke I guess. ;)

Moxus
04-05-2010, 05:11 PM
sounds familiar :)
i had a hirobo shuttle sxx way back.
it was nitro, so sizing numbers is different. it was a 30 size.
way bigger than the 450, and way easier and stabile.
i flew it until basically everything failed, and buying a new one would be cheaper than changing parts.
so i didnt buy a new one, and i didnt change parts.
heli pilot grounded for that time (i was a student, and still is, so im not loaded with cash).
when i saw the belt, i got this idea to start flying heli again. its just dead cheap, and after hearing several fellow flyers who got one, say that its dead cheap and it does actually work, i just had to have a try.
not the best copter, but for a beginner its plentyful.

the belt is so sensitive, compared to the shuttle, that i had to learn to hover all over again. i had been keeping my training maintained by flying simulator. there i flew 50 and 60 sized nitro copters, so needless to say, the belt was something completly different of a handful.

lately i have been flying almost only helicopter, and both my 2 meter wingspan extra, and 1.2 kilowatt funjet, have had to wait so far ^^
i should put them on readiness for the season a long time ago, but it just seems that the belt wins, every time i find a moment to fly.