PDA

View Full Version : Scale 2nd Plane

eparks11
03-22-2006, 08:35 PM
I’ve gotten back into the hobby again recently after a 12 year break. I built and flew two gliders back in the early 90’s because I didn’t want to mess with gas, and Electrics weren’t quite up to par at the time. However, I was walking through a hobby shop for the first time in years about 2 months ago and I couldn’t help but notice how much Electrics had advanced. So I ended up walking out of the store with an E-Flight Gypsy, Futaba 6EXA radio and a Thunder Power 1320 11.1v 3s lipo battery pack. I also order a Herr 1/2A Texan to build just for fun. I've been flying the Gypsy ever since, but now I'm ready for a second plane. I know I'm nowhere near ready to fly the Texan and I don't like non-scale planes, even if they are easier to fly. So I really want my second plane to be a scale plane, yet not too difficult to pilot. The three I like are the Watt-Age Cessna 182, the Hobby Lobby Pt-19, and the new Hobby Lobby Bird Dog. My question is, will I be able to fly either of those or will they just end up as a pile of garbage?

alienx
03-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I have the Cessna. I am wing struts and a motor mount mod away from being done.

I can't really compare it to anything for you because it is my first build. But I'll give you my thoughts. At first I thought it was not a very accurate model as far as fitment goes. But I have to believe that it can't be too far off any others. It is really starting to look nice to me now that it is almost done. I chose it over the World Models (???) one because I thought the strut and gear attachment point covers looked like a nice touch (and they are). Also, it had a steerable nose wheel. It went together with no real problems (that weren't the result of my noob building status). I chose to put a park 450BL outrunner in it and that is the only problem I am having. The motor shaft is too short to get the spinner plate outside the cowling. That is, with the prop adapter I am using anyway. I ruined the collet type one that came with the motor and had to buy a set-screw version. It simply isn't long enough to stick out of the cowling enough. The original may not have had the same problem but I never got to test it on the plane before I jammed the threads by overtightening it on a prop.

Other than that, it was a relatively straight forward build. The only thing that bothers me about it is that the wing is dead straight in terms of not having any dihedral. This seems to be inaccurate. And with the rounded shape of the top surface, the wing has always struck me as having anti-dihedral of sorts. I'm sure I'm going to love it when it is done, but that is my only issue with looks. I don't know why they didn't put a little dihedral in it.

I saw the bird dog after I got my 182 and thought it was beautiful (but not in stock). And I guess a 182 and my trainer Cub will be enough high-wing planes for a while.

I'm not familiar with the other plane you mentioned, so I have no opinion. You can get the wattage for $69 bucks now (less if you look around real good maybe). So it is a bargain. I think the bird dog was nearly twice the price for virtually the same specs.

Let me know what you decide. I'l like to hear your opinion.

Good luck.

eparks11
03-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Sorry, I had this same discussion on RC groups (since I just started using forums I wanted to test out both to see which I liked more). In general I like this one more, but I did get a response to this same question over there a whole lot quicker. Long story short, this was my response over there:

I've decided I'm way too much of an impulse buyer. As much as I really wanted a nice looking second plane the salesman at the local hobby shop convinced me to go in an entirely different direction. I think I might have messed up when I told him I thought flying the Gypsy was a tad boring. I believe my exact wording was something like, really all I did was take off, turn, turn, turn, change elevation, turn some more, land, then do it all over again. His advice was to try out the Great Planes You Can Do 3D Electric. Now I think this could very well be the ugliest airplane I've ever seen, so he must have been some salesmen. Either that or I just really wanted a new plane bad.

He did make a strong case for it though. I have absolutely no interest in doing 3D stuff, nor do I think I'm anywhere close to being ready for it; but the idea of plane that is more then capable of doing anything I want that also happens to be virtually indestructible sold me. After looking at the size of the flaps on this thing Iím sure Iíll be testing out that virtually indestructible claim. Oh well, if I do total it Iím only out $60 and 2 hours of build time (assuming the li-po doesnít blow up http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif ). Hopefully IF I can manage to fly this thing it will help me get to where I can fly war birds and other scale models that interest me a little more.

alienx
03-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Ahh, I'm sad to hear that. This hobby is amazing in it's diversity of interests. And with virtually no exceptions I can see what everyone gets out of their chosen facet. But the exception is 3D. I just don't get it. Why would anyone want to fly a plane like a helicopter!?

I'll do a search for you're plane anyway to check it out. But go back and get a scale or warbird. I have an e-flite p-47D on the porch at home waiting for me. I can't wait to get out of work now!!

But enjoy the plane anyway. I'm not bashing you're choice (even though it may sound like it). Really just showing my own excitement about scale and warbirds.

eparks11
03-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh I totally understand. I don't have a desire to even attempt 3D (not that I know how anyway), but the flex foam that plane is made of and the fact that it does have the ability to also be flown normally sold me on it. Hopefully after Iíve flown (and crashed) the U Can Do it a few times I'll feel comfortable enough to try a war bird out. I saw that Hanger 9 had a trainer P51 Mustang, but I simply didnít have the heart to beat the total crap out of my favorite plane of all time. Plus I thought it was a tad expensive to be a trainer. Like I said, this one only cost me $60 (plus a few accessories that can be reused), so if I destroy it I won't be out much and I can put all the guts into something else.

watt_the?!
03-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Bird Dog Bird Dog Bird Dog.

eparks11
03-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Bird Dog Bird Dog Bird Dog.

What's ironic is I almost bought a Bird Dog kit to build instead of the Texan, then Hobby-Lobby released their bird dog about a week later. Damn glad I didn't buy the kit originally because the Hobby Lobby (or is it Mega Model?) one looks better then what I would have built anyway.

alienx
03-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey, not sure where you are in the hobby (and I am a noob so forgive my advice giving) but I bought a Sim when I got my first ARF. I really just wanted to be able to fly at home (because I was addicted!!). I swear I am ready for at least a low wing warbird. The sim has done wonders for my reactions and thumb control. No more death spirals. I'm embarrased to say that I've only flown a cub, but the difference is that when I bought it, I death spiraled always. My flights were measured in seconds. Now (12 hours on the sim), and I fly figure 8's at about 4 feet AGL. And I'm flying full 14 minute packs and floating in dead-stick. It really is an impressive learning tool. You'll be extremely happy with the realistic flight characteristics. And you can try anything without fear of crashing your plane.

I have AFPD but I guess even the free one sounds pretty good as a tool.

PS. I agree ...Bird Dog!