PDA

View Full Version : Multiplex Easy Glider Glitches

rhatch
07-20-2005, 08:48 PM
I built the Multiplex Easy Glider, and I really like the way it flies, except that I am having problems with heavy-duty glitches. My first Easy went out of control and dived into to Mission Bay. (I fly with Silent Electric Flyers near Sea World in San Diego.) Because of the salt water soaking, I had to discard every metal part, an expensive loss.

I really liked the light weight (29 oz all up with motor and battery for a 71" span), so I built a second one using a Hitec 555 receiver that has a history of reliability. On its first outing yesterday morning, this one was glitching too. It was not so bad, and I was able to recover and land it, but it went into a spin a couple of times.

I have tightly twisted all the servo leads and ESC lead, and I have kept the ESC lead away from the others as well as I could in the fairly tight space inside.

Since motor gliders are generally pretty congested inside, there must be collective wisdom about how to keep them from glitching. I'm new at this. Can you give me any suggestions?

Richard Hatch
Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego

Jason T
07-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Richard,

Welcome to Wattflyer.

I am not sure why you are getting glitching on your setup. I have had very good luck with the Hitec receivers includeing the 555, Electron 6 and the Superslim 8.

Jason

Mike Parsons
07-22-2005, 02:00 AM
Richard,
How are you routing your antenna? Does it exit the fuse immediately or is it crossing other wires (ESC, Servos etc)

rhatch
07-22-2005, 04:01 AM
In the Easy Glider, a tube passes back through the fuse from the receiver compartment to carry the antenna. It is designed in. The ESC lead and the servo leads for rudder and elevator pass forward from the receiver compartment, but the two aileron servo leads pass along the antenna for several inches before turning out into the wings. In that same space is the battery compartment. All the placements are programmed as part of the design and are pretty much frozen in foam.

Of all those leads, which ones do I need to be most concerned about?

Richard Hatch

tone
07-25-2005, 06:40 AM
Brushed motor? capacitors (3) on good?

AEAJR
08-12-2005, 03:10 AM
Describe this glitch? When does it happen and what is the effect?

Did you pass a range check?

What radio are you using?

You could try wrapping the aileron leads in foil. Sometimes that helps.

rhatch
08-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did solve the problem by

1. Replacing the receiver with one I've had good luck with before (Hitec 555)

2. Twisting all the servo leads tightly. I held one end in my teeth and twisted the other end until it held a tight and firm twist. Pull firmly but not too hard to firm up the twist and make it permanent.

3. Routing the elevator and rudder servo leads along one side of the fuse away from the ESC. Routing the ESC-to-receiver lead along the other side of the fuse. I cut a little channel for each and glued them in.

Between all these things, the plane is solid now.

Jason T
08-12-2005, 11:50 AM
rhatch,

great to hear that you solved it.

EDFrules
08-17-2005, 03:52 AM
I went through the same teething troubles on my EGE. Ended up doing a redo of the kevlar veil I CA'd to the nose to bolster it up after hogging out some space for an outrunner(200' nose dive,ouch!). I've tried every combo I could and also found out by trying different flying fields that the combination of power lines(the worst were the intersecting lines) and wire routing helped out. Still get the occasional glitch from time to time. Wish there was more space to properly place all components.:( Or it's time to switch to PCM.
Keep em flyin'

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
08-26-2005, 11:29 PM
In my Easy Glider I did not use the built-in antennae tube because of the battery sitting on top of it as well as the two wing servo leads. I just exited the fuse through a small piece of fuel tubing out the side and now run the antennae freely back to the rudder area. I highly recommend doing that, especially if you add a 3 cell battery and a brushless motor as I did.:)

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
09-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Richard, how's the Easy Glider flying going?

Edward
09-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Will a standard receiver fit ? I am really thinkin to get one.

Thanks

AEAJR
09-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Yes, a standard receiver will fit.

Edward
09-03-2005, 02:42 AM
More help needed:
What's "Tiny-s UNI servo" & "Nano-s UNI servo" ? If put them in Futaba or H-Tec's terms what sort of servo are they?

Just lost my easy star in the bush and could not get it back, really sad.

Thanks very much for help

AEAJR
09-03-2005, 02:47 AM
approx HS-55 and HS-81 respectively.

55s in the wings and 81s for R/E,

Edward
09-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Helo guys,

How t

Edward
09-12-2005, 12:57 AM
How the geared motor unit to be attatched to the fuselage, glue it or use double side sticky tape? The manual does not mention.
Thanks in advance

AEAJR
09-12-2005, 04:21 AM
Not sure but I think it comes already mounted.

falingtrea
09-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Just opened the one I bought today. :) Looks like the motor fits in a formed area of the fuselage and has a thrust block behind it. There are two holes in the sides of the fuse for cooling. Pretty tight fit without any need for adhesive, I would think.

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
09-16-2005, 03:54 PM
I didn't use any adhesives. I just pryed the motor against a formed plastic mount, and held it in place from the back of the motor with a piece of foam from the back of the motor to the bottom of the fuselage, as it is designed. The directions are not too clear on that, though. It also holds nicely. For a more permanent installation the mount can also be glued in (Use the same Super Glue), but don't expect to get it out easily if you have to. Suggest keeping it temporary, as you'll be replacing plenty of the brushed motors. I finally decided to put in a brushless motor.

Heidelberg Germay Flyer

Edward
09-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Thanks for all the helps. I will not use any glue but the retainer to hold it there. May be later on will replace with a brushless.

Thanks.

falingtrea
10-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I am trying to decide if I should use a 7/8 celll NiMH pack or a 2S LiPo for my Easy Glider. The recommended setup is an 8 cell NIMH pack. I assume this is because this is the highest voltage that would work with the included motor so the highest RPM with the supplied prop. How can I figure out what the performance differences between the three power source types would be? They don't really say much about the motor that came in the kit. It has no performance data. I am guessing it is similar to a Speed400 motor. The LHS is not stocking much NiMH since LiPO is becoming popular.

A tech on the Multiplex/HiTech forum said they will be selling a brushless uppgrade for the Easy Glider sometime around Nov. I may just wait till then to see what type of power source it uses.

rhatch
10-05-2005, 07:30 PM
The motor that comes with the Easy Glider is a speed 400. It gives very gentle climb with the provided folding prop. VERY gentle. If you give more than just a tiny bit of up with the motor on, you'll get some nasty stalling, so take it nice and easy.

I suggest either 8 cells of NIMH or 3 cells of LiPo. This motor won't last that long on three cells, but it sure won't give you much climb on two. New speed 400s are not that expensive if you have to replace it. Be sure to break it in before you try it in the air. Run it for 15 minutes submerged in a glass of water connected to a couple of cells. This will considerably improve the first flights and will extend the life by wearing in the brushes.

Nearly everyone upgrades to brushless. A 4000 mahr three cell LiPo just fits the battery compartment, and you can fly all day, maybe even all week, with it. With the brushless upgrade, you'll get climb somewhere between very nice and really vigorous.

The most important thing is to be sure you have differential aileron throw. To do that, remove and rotate the servo arms so they are pointing perhaps 25 or 30 degrees forward of the normal centered position, pointing just a little more toward the front of the wing rather than straight out. Replace them in this position, then center the actual ailerons again. The result is that you get about twice as much up aileron than down. You won't believe the improvement in the handling when you do this.

Dick Hatch

AEAJR
10-05-2005, 08:02 PM
The Easy Glider give a comfortable climb on 8 cells but if you want a hotter climb, go to 3 cell lipo. As noted the motor will wear faster but not right away. Maybe 50 flighs you will see a decrease in perfomrance. At that point you can put in the brushless upgrade if you like, or buy anther speed 400 for $9.

falingtrea
10-05-2005, 08:24 PM
I found a FMS model of the Easy Glider on the Mutiplex home site, http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorschau/upload/d_software/m_easyglider_e.zip I see what you mean by not much climabiltity :eek: :( I will have to seriously consider a 3S LiPO. I have a CC Pixie 20 ESC so I should have plenty of options. Maybe if I throw a bigger prop on it it would last longer??

Up&Away
10-06-2005, 09:49 AM
I have a CC Pixie 20 ESC so I should have plenty of options.
The CC Pixie has no brake, so unless there's plenty of wind, your prop will have difficulties folding.

Epoxycup
11-13-2005, 01:20 PM
RHatch

Sorry to hear about your radio glitching, ofetn a pain to track down. Sounds like you have alread took some steps. I have a few thoughts for trouble shooting hope something clicks.

Check that antenna, I am assuming it exits somewhere at the rear of the tail. You may want to tappe it to the fuse so it's not flopping around and hitting control wires etc. Never fold it back on its self.

Do a range check. With you antenna down on the radio and the plane turned on, and on the ground, you should be able to walk a 100' or so away and control the rudder, and elecator without them jumping around.

Check that your radio and reciever crystals are the same frequency. Yes I saw this happen once :rolleyes: .

If you still are glitching sometimes a bad servo can cause this. If you have other servos plug them in and see if the problem goes away. If so one of the servo's is bad.

If you have another reciever plug it in and if the problem goes away then the reciever is the issue.

If the reciever is a problem you may want to open it and check the antenna solder connection to the pc board.

All these are ground check and are process of elimination tests. Unfortunatly without equipment it is the best you can do. Good luck.:cool: