PDA

View Full Version : Airfield Sky Trainer 182 Nitro Planes

bluzjamer
04-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Hi All,
I just got this from Nitro planes.
It seems pretty straight forward. Does anyone have any build tips for this plane. Should I use the glue that came with it or use some epoxy. If epoxy will 5 minute do or should I use the 30 minute stuff?
Should I put epoxy on the wing reinforcing rod when I'm epoxying the wings together? How would you recommend strengthening the front wheel bracket. Should I lock tight all the screws used for assembly? Medium or high strength locktite? Will this plane take of from short grass or should it be hand launched? This is the 55" wingspan plane and has a 2.4 TX.
Where should I attach the horns...inside, middle or outside end?
Where on the servo? Sorry if I'm being a PITA but it's been almost 40 years since I last did this. Back then it was all kit building and monocoat wings and body. They seemed heavier but stronger. Thanks for any help.
bluz

gramps2361
04-18-2010, 02:32 AM
bluz here is a build link for this plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQjxf3zch0Q

Might help if this is the same plane.

dbc
04-18-2010, 02:33 AM
I used the provided glue but would recommend epoxy instead. Either 5 or 30 min would be fine. I did not glue the carbon fiber wing rod in nor did I glue the wings together - instructions don't call for it and it's flown fine without gluing them. I haven't found the front wheel bracket to be a problem since the latest revision of it's design. The shaft is very small in diameter and bends easily but can be bent back quickly. I personally do not use locktite with most electric planes as they don't vibrate much when properly set up. Start with the pushrods in outer control horn holes. The plane has adequate control surface throws this way and is a very gentle and easy flyer. Plane will take off from very short, compacted grass - I frequently do this - but it likes pavment much better. Unlike most trainers, this plane needs a little power on all the way to the ground for a smooth landing.

bluzjamer
04-18-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi Gramps and DBC,
Gramps your a neighbor. Yes I did see the vid but it didn't talk much on the glues and strengthening the plane.
Thanks for the tips dbc, I was going to start out with the pushrods in the outer holes on the control surfaces anyway. None of the fields in my area have pavement, some grass is short some isn't. Thanks for the add some power on the landing tip, I wouldn't have done that. I have locktite and I still will add some to the motormount and wheel skirts just to keep things locked down. I don't think it would hurt to add some glue to the wing joint and carbon spar. I've always over built but when I hit it usually didn't help me and the ground usually won.

capn chaos
04-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Bluzjammer,
Welcome to Watt Flyer. Looks like some good advice above.
As for the ground...it always wins. I try not to build thinking I can win...lol usually ends up heavy and ya still lose.
CC

dbc
04-18-2010, 03:55 AM
You should also be aware that the supplied 1800mah battery only provides about 8-10 minute flights. They should have supplied at least a 2200mah or larger battery. There's plenty of room in the bay for batts up to about 3300 or so. I'm getting 12-14 minutes from Turnigy 2200's.

bluzjamer
04-18-2010, 04:39 AM
Will probably buy an extra pack if it lasts that long.

Airhead
04-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Will probably buy an extra pack if it lasts that long.
Come on Bluz,
Ya gotta think positive......;)

gramps2361
04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
No problem neighbor hope you were not near all the flooding that went on a week or more ago. That was and is some bad weather. Ya sometimes over building is a bad thing it can be better when a part just pops of instead of tearing away at the rest of the plane doing more damage.

bluzjamer
04-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Thank heaven I stayed dry, would have had a huge loss in my basement.
Extra batt packs on way. Glued the wings up.....could not see any benefit
to having two pieces. Will still come off to transport yet has to be stronger.

Anyone have any build tips for the Nitro Planes P-51. Building for later on.
Ok I just couldn't resist.

bluzjamer
05-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Cessna fly fine, had it up a couple of times with a trainer of course.
Seems very stable even with some wind. Just need some more calm days and more stick time. I bought some extra batteries and find the 1800 mah are fine.

bluzjamer
06-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Needs a better nose gear setup. I keep bending the stock gear. Needs bigger tires for grass takeoff and landing. Think I stripped the rudder servo, may also put in a metal gear servo. Need to work on my landings, think bigger wheels will help. Stock nose gear is only 1/10 inch dia., might be better off with a dubro 5/32 setup and 2 3/4 " wheels. Thoughts?

Zangetsu57
08-22-2010, 03:09 AM
You should also be aware that the supplied 1800mah battery only provides about 8-10 minute flights. They should have supplied at least a 2200mah or larger battery. There's plenty of room in the bay for batts up to about 3300 or so. I'm getting 12-14 minutes from Turnigy 2200's.

Thanks for the info! I'm new to flying RC planes, but am thinking of purchasing the discussed plane (which I think is this one: http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-skytrainer-rtf-24g-v3-white.html) but want to purchase a 2nd pack to enable longer flight.

Does anyone have experience with larger packs, or does the additional weight negate the effect of the larger capacity? Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the battery compartment? I don't want to purchase a pack that won't fit.

Thanks for any advice!

dbc
08-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Does anyone have experience with larger packs, or does the additional weight negate the effect of the larger capacity? Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the battery compartment? I don't want to purchase a pack that won't fit.

See post #6 above

bluzjamer
08-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Hey Guys,
I took the wheel pants off and that helped the take offs and landings. I installed a Parkzone nose gear that is working better since the stock nose gear needed the wheel pants on it. I installed the metal gear 9g servo and no more stripped rudder gear. I have over 30 flights on this plane and like it more everytime I fly it. Has a great glide ratio. I have 2200 mah batts but I'm happy with the flight times I get out of the 1800 20C batteries.

Cobra68
01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I installed a Parkzone nose gear that is working better since the stock nose gear needed the wheel pants on it. I installed the metal gear 9g servo and no more stripped rudder gear.

Bluzjamer,
I've had the same problem with my SkyTrainer... snapped the little metal one-inch connector that goes between the plastic/nylon attachment point on the aircraft side of nosegear and connects to the aluminum coupler on the wheel side. I guess it was fatigued from constantly bending it back into place, as it broke right where the shaft is flattened for the set-screw. I've also been nursing along a stripped out rudder servo (already replaced it once).

Any chance you can point me in the right direction to get the ParkZone nose gear (assuming you bought online) and where you found a good metal geared servo?

Thanks!

bluzjamer
01-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Bought the nose gear at LHS. 1/8th inch metal.

Cobra68
01-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks Bluzjamer... I decided to create my own "beefed-up" nosegear by grinding down an old masonry drill bit shank to fit the length and then added the flat spots for the set screws. I figured that it's definitely going to be stronger metal than what originally came with the plane (as long as it isn't too brittle), and gets me flying again tomorrow without having to wait to receive a simple piece of metal.

As for the rudder servo, I tinkered with trying to put separate servos in for the rudder and nosewheel steering by adding a servo in between the original elevator/rudder servos, and although I got it all set up to work, I need a reverse servo (and don't have one in my spare-parts kit yet). My thought was that if I happened to strip out the servo through the use of the nosewheel steering, I'd at least guarantee myself rudder control... but I guess I'll have to wait until I get a reverse servo to see how it works.

Thanks again for the tips...