PDA

View Full Version : Pink Fan Fold????

skiman762
03-23-2006, 02:35 AM
My local box store is now carrying pink FFF is this stuff any good for building with ?
Thanks

SkyPilot
03-23-2006, 03:22 AM
It's not as stiff as the Blucor because it doesn't have any skin. It'll work fine for low stress areas like fuselage formers or fillers, but I wouldn't use it for wings.

Tom

jamessimon
03-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Take a good look at the stuff. I've seen some pink lately that has a "skin" buried in the middle of the sheet. You'll have to pick at the edge a little to find it. If it's there then the material will be hard to use. That paper in the middle will keep it from forming easily. I've use a similar material, Greenguard NP-14. It tends to delaminate at the middle layer. I've not used the pink though.

WACOFlyer
03-23-2006, 03:40 PM
The Greenguard board is very heavy compared to fanfold. Weigh a shhet of each and you'll see what I mean. I use what greenguard I have left for making patterns or painting masks.
My 2 cents.

jamessimon
03-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Greenguard NP-14 is a kind of fanfold. Its possible its heavier, I've not checked. It would be surprising if it was way heavier since it is a lower strength foam. Could be the barrier material. In any case, I wasn't suggesting using it. I was cautioning that the new pink material has the same faults.

I do use it some still. By delaminating it on the barries it makes nice thin material for little gliders and such. And it is cheap as dirt. Come to think of it, thin pink foam would be even nicer for that.

tone
03-23-2006, 09:06 PM
The Pink i have is a little heavier than blue and a little stiffer and a little more brittle, but makes great ailerons and elevators and stabs and such, it also sands like a dream.

I don't use it much anymore because i can get depron at the Hobby shop and it is light, strong and accepts paint well.

HermitRiver
05-16-2006, 04:23 AM
My local box store is now carrying pink FFF is this stuff any good for building with ?
Thanks

Skiman. I have a bundle of the pink in 3/8, In central Maine there aren't many choices and 1 LHS 60 miles away. No lowes in over 120 mi.
Anyway, thought I may try a plane from it and either monokote it for additional strength or sheet the wings with CF rod reinforcement. If not, I can use it to insulate in winter and order foam. Hermit

Bill G
05-22-2006, 01:42 AM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Pink Fan Fold
Thanks

Don't know about Pink Fan Fold,
but if you add one "y", and rearrange
a bit, you get Pink Floyd Fan.

HermitRiver
05-22-2006, 12:17 PM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Pink Fan Fold

Don't know about Pink Fan Fold,
but if you add one "y", and rearrange
a bit, you get Pink Floyd Fan.

Bill. I like it:D I are one. The pink is strange, seem a bit more flexible but way I fly it better be durable too. I think a monokote cover job may tie it all together and make people guess what's under the hood. Hermit

superinstaller
05-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Checkout rcfoam thay have blue 5mm depron cheap right now, got mine today! HE HE:D

Bill G
05-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Bill. I like it:D I are one. The pink is strange, seem a bit more flexible but way I fly it better be durable too. I think a monokote cover job may tie it all together and make people guess what's under the hood. Hermit

Most here probably know about it, but a year or so ago, a massive, something like 12 ft span Cub type plane was built from pink fan fold foam. It was at RCG and they called it Pink Floyd. The thread was "Pink Floyd Flies".

HermitRiver
05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Most here probably know about it, but a year or so ago, a massive, something like 12 ft span Cub type plane was built from pink fan fold foam. It was at RCG and they called it Pink Floyd. The thread was "Pink Floyd Flies".
Thanks Bill. I just spent the last half hour reading about the build, watching the video and thinking about the 25 sheets 4'x2' of pink FF in my shop. That is one awesome airplane. Yes he did a 12 foot and then a 24 foot and it flies. Anyone interested in this build search "pink floyd flier" or something like that. 24' wingspan and it flies. here is a link, go to post 77 for a video. Is it illegal to put a link up to RC forum:confused: Oh well, done is done, it's on topic and it is an advance in model aviation that needs to be acknowledged.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354596&page=6&pp=15

BYW, When I first got here, I got in a tiff with you, put you on ignore. I cool off quick, try not to judge to harshly and then occasionally clicked on "view" and saw, you are a wealth of knowledge, a very accomplished builder and I respect you, your talent and knowledge and especially help to other forumites..... That said, I hear your signature priveledges were compromised? If so, how about we all ask the mods to get them back. Yes, in fairness to mods and forum rules we should stick to the rules in threads, stay on topic,,, but a signature? Can't we all show just a little bit of freedom of expression? Hermit

jdetray
05-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Interesting note: Hans built the 24-foot Pink Floyd in his college dorm -- definitely a tight fit!

Last year, Hans went one step further and constructed Big Floyd, a 50-foot wingspan plane built from pink FFF. The plane is larger than many "real" planes. It almost got off the ground on its maiden flight, but gearbox troubles foiled the attempt. Hans promises that Big Floyd will eventually fly.

Here's Hans' website:
http://www.pinkfoamplanes.com/

And here's a discussion thread about the 50-foot Big Floyd:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375994

- Jeff

HermitRiver
05-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Interesting note: Hans built the 24-foot Pink Floyd in his college dorm -- definitely a tight fit!

Last year, Hans went one step further and constructed Big Floyd, a 50-foot wingspan plane built from pink FFF. The plane is larger than many "real" planes. It almost got off the ground on its maiden flight, but gearbox troubles foiled the attempt. Hans promises that Big Floyd will eventually fly.

Here's Hans' website:
http://www.pinkfoamplanes.com/

And here's a discussion thread about the 50-foot Big Floyd:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375994

- Jeff

Wow:eek: Thanks Jeff. I'll be following this one for sure. Have his site bookmarked. Hermit

Bill G
05-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks Bill. I just spent the last half hour reading about the build, watching the video and thinking about the 25 sheets 4'x2' of pink FF in my shop. That is one awesome airplane. Yes he did a 12 foot and then a 24 foot and it flies. Anyone interested in this build search "pink floyd flier" or something like that. 24' wingspan and it flies. here is a link, go to post 77 for a video. Is it illegal to put a link up to RC forum:confused: Oh well, done is done, it's on topic and it is an advance in model aviation that needs to be acknowledged.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354596&page=6&pp=15

BYW, When I first got here, I got in a tiff with you, put you on ignore. I cool off quick, try not to judge to harshly and then occasionally clicked on "view" and saw, you are a wealth of knowledge, a very accomplished builder and I respect you, your talent and knowledge and especially help to other forumites..... That said, I hear your signature priveledges were compromised? If so, how about we all ask the mods to get them back. Yes, in fairness to mods and forum rules we should stick to the rules in threads, stay on topic,,, but a signature? Can't we all show just a little bit of freedom of expression? Hermit

Those tiffs are interesting. I tend to, or at least try to forget them myself. I've had people come back with vindictive vendetta type behavior, when I didn't even remember that I once had a tiff with them. I actually had to do a search to find it. Interestingly also, I had one a while ago, where I was fully convince that both of us had got over it, posting back and forth. Well, as soon as the chance came, the individual actually tried to come after me in the Sugg forum, when I was having an issue with staff. I guess they thought they could do the old "kick 'em when they're down" thing. Well, staff actally doesn't care for those who think they can join with the staff and go after someone, as if they have become fair game. Like the Man upstairs, they realize that they a good leader cannot be a respecter of persons. Basically that "kick em when down" concept, and the "try to make someone look like a bad guy" are about the only things that really bother me. The rest of the tiff are quickly forgotten.

Even more interesting are the published experts. A few are really good guys. Most seem to have that "who are you to think you can talk to me" posting style. Only talk with an approved few. I'm not the world's expert, but do try to share what I know. Do that, and sometimes get accused of "showing off and being intimidating". Well, I think there's nothing worse than an expert that won't share information, but only shows off. One guy who is like that, at RCG, had told a buddy that he shut off his PM's, since people were bothering him every 5 minutes for info. It was stated by his buddy, who actually is a good guy. The one who shut off the PM's is a "I only acknowledge a select few, but will show off to the masses" types. I got a real kick out of the "getting PM'd every 5 minutes" comment. Pllleease, I think his head's grown a bit large, I don't know of even the most famous guys in the rc forums making a comment like that. He probably only got a few PM's, but thinks he's too good to help anybody. I do really have to resist the urge to :eek: with people like that.

As for your sig, keep it up. Boy, I hope it doesn't ever get to the point where all forms of religious expression of beliefs are banned.

Bill

HermitRiver
05-27-2006, 02:28 AM
Those tiffs are interesting. I tend to, or at least try to forget them myself. I've had people come back with vindictive vendetta type behavior, when I didn't even remember that I once had a tiff with them. I actually had to do a search to find it. Interestingly also, I had one a while ago, where I was fully convince that both of us had got over it, posting back and forth. Well, as soon as the chance came, the individual actually tried to come after me in the Sugg forum, when I was having an issue with staff. I guess they thought they could do the old "kick 'em when they're down" thing. Well, staff actally doesn't care for those who think they can join with the staff and go after someone, as if they have become fair game. Like the Man upstairs, they realize that they a good leader cannot be a respecter of persons. Basically that "kick em when down" concept, and the "try to make someone look like a bad guy" are about the only things that really bother me. The rest of the tiff are quickly forgotten.

Even more interesting are the published experts. A few are really good guys. Most seem to have that "who are you to think you can talk to me" posting style. Only talk with an approved few. I'm not the world's expert, but do try to share what I know. Do that, and sometimes get accused of "showing off and being intimidating". Well, I think there's nothing worse than an expert that won't share information, but only shows off. One guy who is like that, at RCG, had told a buddy that he shut off his PM's, since people were bothering him every 5 minutes for info. It was stated by his buddy, who actually is a good guy. The one who shut off the PM's is a "I only acknowledge a select few, but will show off to the masses" types. I got a real kick out of the "getting PM'd every 5 minutes" comment. Pllleease, I think his head's grown a bit large, I don't know of even the most famous guys in the rc forums making a comment like that. He probably only got a few PM's, but thinks he's too good to help anybody. I do really have to resist the urge to :eek: with people like that.

As for your sig, keep it up. Boy, I hope it doesn't ever get to the point where all forms of religious expression of beliefs are banned.

Bill
Bill. I forgot it and things like that real quick too, all things. Stuff like that doesn't mean squat in the big picture. What we do to help others and the big man sees is what counts. Too many persona with egos, got to talk themselves up and others down to make themselves feel good. Walk life, don't talk it that's what makes a man. Personally I have really been enjoying your pics and great information. I'd sure like to see the mods give sig privedleges back. I bounce from religious, political, hypothetical, historical to just plain funny. Not to offend but to make people think. This country was built on God and freedom, we need to keep that. Keep them pretty planes comming, be talking with you soon. I have a jet I want to convert and I respect your's and a couple others opinions. I'll take a pic and start a seperate thread. Hermit

Bill G
05-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Bill. I forgot it and things like that real quick too, all things. Stuff like that doesn't mean squat in the big picture. What we do to help others and the big man sees is what counts.

Very true.
By the way, my personal favorite verse is "Don't worry about removing the spec in your brothers eye, when you have a board in your own." He must have had a sense of humor, along with wisdom.

HermitRiver
05-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Very true.
By the way, my personal favorite verse is "Don't worry about removing the spec in your brothers eye, when you have a board in your own." He must have had a sense of humor, along with wisdom.

Bill, He definetely had a sense of humor. Think that's why I'm stuck to fly like I do,, so's he can belly laugh a good one. Hermit

max-nix
05-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Hermit
I have a Frog foamy built with pink fan fold, my nephew flew it regularly for about a year & then gave it to me.

http://foamfly.com/product.php?productid=18316&cat=0&page=1

This got me going with the electric stuff & now I am a firm believer.
The pink fan fold (PFF) has held up remarkably well through all kinds of
trauma.

(This is quite a switch from many years a compulsive control line speed flyer.)

HermitRiver
05-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Hermit
I have a Frog foamy built with pink fan fold, my nephew flew it regularly for about a year & then gave it to me.

http://foamfly.com/product.php?productid=18316&cat=0&page=1

This got me going with the electric stuff & now I am a firm believer.
The pink fan fold (PFF) has held up remarkably well through all kinds of
trauma.

(This is quite a switch from many years a compulsive control line speed flyer.)

Max. That is very cool. I have read some posts about the frog but first time I watched all videos and read about it. I like it:D Downloadable plans good? They tiled or does it matter? Thanks, Hermit