PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass cowl for Electrifly Fokker DR.1

IndyJones
05-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Has anyone found or created a fiberglass cowl for the Electrifly DR.1 (small electric version)? I'd like to purchase one if possible. I checked with Fiberglass Specialties and they said "no go". :sad:

Hello James,
Sorry but we don’t have this cowl and we won’t be making the mold. There has been almost no demand for cowls for the electric planes.
Thanks for checking with us.
Craig

Craig Schmidt
Fiberglass Specialties

degreen60
05-04-2010, 01:25 AM
I make cowls by heat shrinking a liter bottle over a mold in the oven. The mold I have makes a 3.5 inch dia cowl. If you need this dia I can make you a ruff one that you trim to what you need.

IndyJones
05-04-2010, 02:52 AM
Wow, thanks Degreen, but just roughly eyeballing the Electrifly cowl with a tape measure, it looks to be slightly over 4" in diameter. :{

degreen60
05-04-2010, 04:24 AM
Wow, thanks Degreen, but just roughly eyeballing the Electrifly cowl, it looks to be slightly over 4" in diameter. :{

Look and see if you can find a cheap pan the size you need. You may have to use a 3 liter bottle. Cut the bottom off the bottle and slide the pan into the top of the bottle. Put it in a hot over(400 degrees or more). After it cools cut the bottom of the bottle off at the bottom of the pan. I then use an aircompresser to blow the mold out of the bottle. My oven has a window in the door and a light so I can watch the bottle shrink.

degreen60
05-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I needed a new cowl for my Wattage Camel. I found a Lysol disinfecting wipes container my wife had was the correct size. There was a couple of dents but I found the plastic was soft enough to rub the dents out from the inside. She also had smaller containers too, now when she empties the containers she saves them for me. I just checked a smaller container and it is 4 1/8 in dia. It is Lysol Disinfecting Wipes, 80 wet wipes, 7"x8". Look and see if you can find them and see if you think you can make a cowl from the container. If you want an empty container I can mail you one but shipping cost maybe as much as buying new.

IndyJones
05-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout in the recycle bin now.... ;-)

7car7
05-05-2010, 08:21 PM
I would just buy the replacement cowl, it's cheap, and then you could line it with gorilla glue, and spray with water. The plane could use the nose weight anyway. (mine can, I have 2 AA batteries taped under the motor mount).

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRBA6&P=Z

IndyJones
05-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah thanks 7Car7... was going to do that, but thought instead of waiting on them to get stock, I'd see if there was someone that had made a fiberglass one.

7car7
05-07-2010, 12:05 AM
oops, I didn't notice they were out of stock. I used to see them on ebay all the time - found the wings and fuse and whatnot, but no cowl.

degreen60
05-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Looks like the cowls are gone. You may have to make one.