PDA

View Full Version : Thistledown

ragbag
03-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Here is a new one that I am in the process of buildng.

http://www.mcallisterdesigns.co.uk/thistle.htm

Go to the site and get the particulars, speed 400, 48" wing, 13 oz all up weight.:)

Decided to go with a speed 400-6X3 Graupner-2s1p 1320 lipo-Jeti 12- Blue Bird BMS 360-Berg 4L.
Fuselage 1.7oz/49 gram. needs front whittled down to spinner size, could be a little lighter.:D

Sky Sharkster
03-25-2006, 11:07 AM
To Ragbag, That's a nice looking glider, from the specs it should fly well. Graham McAllister knows as much about modelling as anyone alive so it has good "genes"!
Ron

ragbag
03-25-2006, 12:41 PM
The quality is there for sure. Was looking at the 400XT for power, but the mount makes a ugly setup on the front, Axi is too big and couldn't convince myself to go HiMax, hence the Graupner. The laser quality almost makes it an ARF.
Doing yellow glue, so the assembly is a little slower, thinking it might keep the grams down. The way I been popping them out lately I needed something to slow me down.:)

Thistledown
A Competition Winning Electric Powered Soarer
High Style and Clean Aerodynamics make Thistledown the Thermal's Choice, now make it Yours too! The low drag S3021 wing section allows a rapid climb with an economy direct drive motor and gives this electric soarer a great performance in low level lift.

48" WING SPAN for a DIRECT DRIVE '400' MOTOR
(or a '400' size brushless of course!)
New version 2 kit available NOW
fuselage sides now cut as one piece each

TeslaWinger
03-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Wow, Ragbag! That is a lil cutie! Sized just right for great climb with a sweet cheap S400- even direct it'll climb nicely at that weight! As awful as a Speed 400's 50% efficiency is, there is something to be said for a super cheap motor that carves up the sky all season and it will shine in this four footer!

I love my 2 and 3 meter gliders but my Ascent was in this niche (actually had about 6" more wing and 4 more ozs) and it was just the right size to take along most everywhere but near the upper limit of size for a S400 motor. This one is closer to the S400 sweet spot!

Another feature I like is the flat center section. I found a used no-name 2 meter at the LHS with this wing config and just gawked at how it could flat turn in thermals with very little bank. The Ascent also shared this and trimmed just so it would turn perfectly.

Those outrunners are like Wright Cyclones- good at everything except being 'pointy!'

Good hunting up there, Ragbag!
TW

ragbag
03-28-2006, 12:01 PM
"As awful as a Speed 400's 50% efficiency is, there is something to be said for a super cheap motor that carves up the sky all season and it will shine in this four footer"

Have the 400XT, which was the motor of choice when I got the Thistledown, and a couple of Himaxx, just didn't like what I had to do to make them work. So the Speed 400 fits nicely for a Sunday Flyer, will ride along beside the Ascent and the Skimmer 400.

A realy nice small flyer is the Cermark Mini Phoenix, discontinued now, all of us that have them love them, fractured fuselage and all. As we use them the glass keeps developing hair line cracks in the fuselage. Pretty T-tail Airelon flyer, smooth as glass.:)

The Cermark Phoenix would be a winner too if it had airelons, it fly's the same way.:)

TeslaWinger
03-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Sounds like my Candy HLG! It broke every other time I flew it- too much like an eggshell!

My next small glider will be built-up balsa. Enough of this superfragileaerostructuralfragility! Gimme wood!
TW

ragbag
03-29-2006, 03:09 AM
Sounds like my Candy HLG! It broke every other time I flew it- too much like an eggshell!

My next small glider will be built-up balsa. Enough of this superfragileaerostructuralfragility! Gimme wood!TW

Look at this site, one thing that is taking so long with mine is I am using yellow glue, not CA, one of my favorite passtimes is watching the glue dry.;)

http://www.mcallisterdesigns.co.uk/thistle.htm

He puts out a very nice product and the price is right too.:)

He is in the states, the url is misleading.

ragbag
04-03-2006, 01:03 AM

Started shaping the fuselage. With the wing root and bare fuselage, no tailfeathers or wing tips it is at 3.5 oz or 98gr.

The material in this kit is unreal. I wish all kits had this type of balsa and ply in them, good and firm and light.

Supposed to come in at 13 oz all up, looks like it might make it. I can see where the yellow glue is an asset already, with the shaping started, not having to grind away at the joints.:)

ragbag
04-17-2006, 11:51 PM

This is a picture off of the manutactures site.

Will take pictures later.

Covered in Ultracote, no hardware, 6.5 oz, 185 grams. Glue is drying on the ply horns, then will put the tailfeathers on and start the hardware.

Pictures at 11:00.:D

GAP

ragbag
04-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Graupner speed 400 6 volt
Graupner 6X3
Jeti 12
Berg 4L
Blue Bird BMS 306
Cellpro 2s1p 910

10143 10144 10145 10146 10147 10148 10149 10150

:)

Sky Sharkster
04-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi Ragbag, looks like you're on the home stretch here! Neat work, good color combo, will be easy to see when it's 800 feet up in a thermal. From the weights you've quoted it will come in nice and light. Good Luck!
Ron
P.S. In one of the photos, the clock says 1:25. That wasn't AM, was it?

ragbag
04-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Hi Ragbag, looks like you're on the home stretch here! Neat work, good color combo, will be easy to see when it's 800 feet up in a thermal. From the weights you've quoted it will come in nice and light. Good Luck!
Ron
P.S. In one of the photos, the clock says 1:25. That wasn't AM, was it?

Yup, thats when I do my best work, first thing in the morning.:D

Replacing the roof on my porch and these old bones woke me up early that day.

Ribcracker
04-19-2006, 03:43 AM
I just finished the Skimmer 400 (on the advice of Tesla Winger) and it also is designed for direct drive speed 400 with a 6X3 folder. I quickly burned up two 400s so I tried a long can but it got so hot that it nearly melted my battery (and ruined it, by the way). The solution was to drop in a brushless 400 size motor. Cool as a cuke and she gets up there quick!
Of a dozen or so flights my float record is 25 minutes on a 3 minute motor run. I'm sure we'll beat that!
Your covering skills are expert. Congrats on a job very well done.
Oh, and keep that brushless option in mind. I used the Ultrafly A/30/24.
WOW!!

ragbag
04-20-2006, 10:52 AM
She is done, all but the test flights. My schedule is like a week away before that can happen.

Came in at 13.6 oz, 385 gr.

Graham McCallister Designs

http://www.mcallisterdesigns.co.uk/level2.htm
SPECIFICATIONS
wing span 48" (1220cm) wing area 316sq.in (20.7sq.dm)
wing section Selig S3021 high aspect ratio (7.3:1) wing

all up weight approx. 13oz (368g)# wing loading 5.9oz/sq/ft (17.7g/sq/dm)#
for SPEED 400 7.2v or 6v motor rudder, elevator, throttle
7 cell 2/3AA battery
quick & easy canopy loading

#weight quoted is with 2x micro servos, micro receiver, JETI BEC speed controller, SPEED 400 7.2v motor, 7 x 500mAh cells.

Came in a little over his weight.

That is with a TP 2s1p 1320.

:)

ragbag
05-24-2006, 08:53 PM
We did the Thistledown today!!!!

Wind came up just before Red showed up, was pretty up till then. Gust's 7-10 maybe, decided to go for it. Like all my stuff, too much throws, but Red is getting used to it and made a little bobble between the throws and the cross wind launch, not hardly noticable. The rest was a piece of cake. Wind came down a notch or two, so Red stuck it on the runway like a champ.

Looks like I have a WINNER. I can see where I will be spending a lot of time with this one.

With such a light craft we were concerned about the winds. No Need.

\

Red Scholefield
05-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Thought I better show up here to keep ragbag honest. ;)

As he said the Thistledown is a winner. In spite of the purple covering:eek:

I hope ragbag is about out of it by now.

ragbag
05-27-2006, 10:48 AM
As I said in my previous post I have a winner.

No wind to talk about yesterday so we got to work the Thistledown over.

Four to six foot square loops.

Inverted flight with total control, flip over when he was ready.

He is telling me that he has never flew one that was so easy to fly invert.:)

I was having a senior moment, so I didn't get a crack at it.:o

Forgot the darn camera.

dhable
06-15-2006, 09:45 PM
I have built 2 Thistledowns. You are right, the design is a winner. I fly the first one I built with the Speed 400 motor, Ni-CD pack, and Gunther prop in a series of competitions we have here in Northeastern Wisconsin called "Club Elexaco". You can see a lot of them and more information about our competitions, on on club's web site at http://www.wrcf.rchomepage.com/ElectricFlyIn/ElexacoRules.htm. Check the Electric Fly In section.

The second I decided to go all out. I am powerring it with a MEGA 400-sized brushless motor, and li-po batteries. I will maiden it this Saturday, weather permitting. (Work and weather always seems to interfere.) This one's just for goofing around, and for duration contests.

A great thing about flying in the "stock" competitions, is that you can have a blast with just the speed 400 brushed motor and Ni-CAD/Ni-MH batteries, along with the Gunther prop, because everyone else is limited by them also.

We now have 3 clubs involved in some friendly competition. Last I saw, we had about 15 guys and one "gal" in the competition. I finished 2nd last year to the designer, Graham McAllister, in a season long series of flights. I've been in RC over 10 years, and it's the most fun I've had. I encourage you to get into some competition. See our web site above for the rules the 3 clubs in NE WI use.

I'm attaching a pic of me readying my "all red" at last year's competition. On the bench next to mine is Graham's original "red/yellow", the one you see on his web site. See our web site above for many more pics of last year's competition.

ragbag
06-16-2006, 12:55 AM
I just finished the Skimmer 400 (on the advice of Tesla Winger) and it also is designed for direct drive speed 400 with a 6X3 folder. I quickly burned up two 400s so I tried a long can but it got so hot that it nearly melted my battery (and ruined it, by the way). The solution was to drop in a brushless 400 size motor. Cool as a cuke and she gets up there quick!
Of a dozen or so flights my float record is 25 minutes on a 3 minute motor run. I'm sure we'll beat that!
Your covering skills are expert. Congrats on a job very well done.
Oh, and keep that brushless option in mind. I used the Ultrafly A/30/24.
WOW!!

Going through the same thing. Opened the motor mount a little and took two plastic spoons and made airscoops, opened the fuselage a little to let the air go through.

Will get a test flight in the AM.

13003 13004 13005

13006 13007 13008

The Thistledown doesn't even breath hard.

Couldn't have been so lucky to find spoons the same color as the plane.