PDA

View Full Version : Man Shoots RC Plane Down!

qban_flyer
03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Man Sentenced for Shooting at Toy Plane
By Associated Press

CHELSEA, Mich. - A man has been sentenced to six months' probation for shooting at his neighbor's radio-controlled model airplanes with a shotgun. David Nuttle, 41, of Washtenaw County's Webster Township, pleaded guilty to one count of malicious destruction of property worth less than $200, a misdemeanor.

Judge Richard Conlin of 14-A District Court in Chelsea sentenced him Thursday to six months of probation and 50 hours of community service. Conlin also gave him a 20-day suspended jail sentence, deferred as long as Nuttle complies with the conditions of his probation, which includes no alcohol or drugs and no contact with the planes' owner.

Nuttle also must pay $154 restitution and $550 in fines and court fees. Nuttle used a .410-gauge shotgun to shoot at the planes. He said his shots hit only one plane, causing two tiny holes in it. The plane he is paying for crashed when the child who was operating it lost control of it after being frightened by the shots, Nuttle said.

Nuttle told the judge he regretted his actions. "I felt I was defending my family and my property from these airplanes, and I called police several times," he said. "But I made a bad decision that day and I realize that."

Nuttle told The Ann Arbor News after the hearing that the planes have been a nuisance to his family, scaring his children, spooking his chickens and causing his goats to faint from exhaustion. :confused:

ForestCam
03-25-2006, 08:25 PM
I heard about this on the radio yesterday and the picture it gave me made me have to stop working and have a good laugh.

Where'd you find the article? I searched all over the net after hearing it and couldn't find anything.

qban_flyer
03-25-2006, 08:42 PM
A friend of mine forwarded the text as posted via e-mail.

I wonder if it could be found in the AP website?

It is online:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060325/ap_on_fe_st/model_plane_shooting_1

fabricator
03-25-2006, 09:47 PM
A lot of people in my neighborhood shoot a lot including me, I have on occasion been highly suspicious of shots heard form my neighbor across the street while I was flying, I get along well with ole Bob but I guess you never know, just one more reason why I have to hang a camera on that thing.:rolleyes:

qban_flyer
03-26-2006, 02:31 AM
Hey Fab,

I hope he's not shooting at your planes. If he does and you recover the footage, you may be able to haul him into court and get your name in the news. :D :D :D

A lot of people in my neighborhood shoot a lot including me, I have on occasion been highly suspicious of shots heard form my neighbor across the street while I was flying, I get along well with ole Bob but I guess you never know, just one more reason why I have to hang a camera on that thing.:rolleyes:

fabricator
03-26-2006, 03:49 AM
Hey Fab,

I hope he's not shooting at your planes. If he does and you recover the footage, you may be able to haul him into court and get your name in the news. :D :D :D

Cool! My 15 minutes of fame!:D

Don Sims
03-26-2006, 12:11 PM
I used to pester the duck hunters who have a blind a few hundred yards behind our place. Then I got to thinking about the range of a 12 GA with steel shot and discretion took the better part of pestering.

qban_flyer
03-26-2006, 02:28 PM
:eek: I used to pester the duck hunters who have a blind a few hundred yards behind our place. Then I got to thinking about the range of a 12 GA with steel shot and discretion took the better part of pestering.

HE, HE, HE! :D

Good move. :)

I hope the man put his distressed goats on Prozac! :eek:

TLyttle
03-27-2006, 02:40 AM
That guy is a thick as two short planks. I used to have a pic of a lovely English countryside with goats, sheep and horses in pastures... right between a rifle range and an active runway, on either side of the pastures. The livestock seemed unconcerned with the riflemen firing away, nor the Halibag taking off.

Nervous animals, that Michigan livestock!

Bill G
03-27-2006, 03:17 AM
Give those lousy airplane shooters a more challenging subject to shoot at. Fly a 120 powered Funtana straight at them at full throttle.
Targets are more difficult to hit when there coming straight at you. Worked for the Imperial Navy pilots in WWII.

The interesting thing here is if the courts would rule it assault with a deadly weapon. Can't say I've heard about this verdict befort.

Jimb42
03-27-2006, 03:43 AM
This happened in my township. I never heard about it until the news article. Go to mlive.com and search "The Ann Arbor News" for the article.
Jim:D

Freddy Warbird
03-27-2006, 04:48 AM
I am getting sick and tired of all the complaining going on about everything. What the Heck is wrong with people today. Complaining also isn't enough for some of these people. The next step is banning this and that. Sure, there are some things to complain about, and for good reason. One thing that comes to mind, would be the rediculous cost of housing here in California. My point is, people must have it too good these days to have so much nonsence to complain about. What a bunch of winers! Your plane makes too much noise! I'm offended that you are expressing your belief in God! Your cigarrette smoke is harming my health! No more smoking inside buildings. Your smoking is still harming my health. No more smoking outside in public places. Your SUV is bad for the enviornment! Must take all the CFC's out of our airisal cans because its destroying our "O" zone layer. Where and the heck did all these people come from! Get lost!

qban_flyer
03-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Glad to see you venting your frustrations Freddy. :D

My feelings mirror yours exactly. Things have gotten so politically correct that there is no way we won't offend someone, somewhere, about something, sometime. :eek:

Can you imagine that idiot shooting a boy's plane down with a shot gun?
Can you imagine that other idiot (forgot where) who killed that 14 year old kid because the kid dared to "walk" on his freshly manicured lawn? :confused:

Who ever heard of goats fainting from exhaustion? Heck, I didn't even know goats could get exhausted, much less faint from it! :confused:

Bill G
03-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Yes, because of this "don't dare even talk about certain groups, let alone offend" mentality, I actually started liking Howard Stern, which is somewhat out of character for me. I liked the way that any groups with the "don't dare touch us" attitude became fair game for him.

gpang788
03-28-2006, 01:17 AM
"I felt I was defending my family and my property from these airplanes" :eek:

Sounds like he hyper-reacted a bit.:p

qban_flyer
03-28-2006, 01:18 AM
I don't particularly like Howard Stern either, but one has to give the man credit for being smart and having made millions in his field! :eek:

I do agree with many of his positions on certain issues, while I could care less for the rest. :D

TeslaWinger
03-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Even in the age of Email some people are quick to go POSTAL! :D

This guy better check his goats for heavy metal poisoning or drug addiction! What's he feed 'em, herbicides? Seems ALL the animals on that farm need an intervention!

At least he didnt shoot any drunk millionaires! You don't even need to lead the old ones much....
:D
TW
PS: 2 LITTLE HOLES??? You call THAT gun control??? This guy shoots like I FLY! He's a hazard to navigation!
PPSS: Freddie, ya make a good point- but you used too many words. The resulting eyestrain has caused me irreversible lkdlwde; ;'wkh;ejweifhgs7'

qban_flyer
03-28-2006, 01:37 AM
That human turkey is a hazard to humanity. He has serious mental problems. Glad he didn't take a pot shot at the kid flying the model. And that thing about two little holes on the plane? I don't think so. Why was he made to pay full restitution for the "toy" plane? :confused:

As for his "exhausted" goats? He'd better keep them away from his vehicle's "exhaust" fumes so they won't "faint" anymore! :D

ForestCam
03-28-2006, 02:12 AM
All I have to say is either this guy's one heck of a shot, a very lucky shot or the kid was flying low and slow for the plane to be brought down with a .410

A real man would have used a 12 guage. :p

:edit: qban, maybe they're these (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimknapp/goats.html) kind goats and the guy's too dumb to realize it. :D

TeslaWinger
03-28-2006, 02:19 AM
With a good lawyer he coulda got off with 8 square millimeters of Monocote and some spackle!

Musta frosted him to have to buy ANOTHER toy plane for the Scum With The Radio Thumb to dive-bomb his neurotic quivering psycho-goats!!! Makes a man's finger wanna just wrap around that trigger and... Just give 'em some more of that mercury flavored hay. They like that...

This is, of course, the human parallel to the infamous Crowded Rat Experiment. Squeeze enough of them on top of one another and they get a little... NUTS! GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT? :D

Whizzzz... Pull! BOOM!

TW

Forest- OHHH! THOSE Scared Stiff Goats! :D Thanks, I learned something today! Great story- too bad for the goats! I'll file it away with all those Mr Ed reruns...

qban_flyer
03-28-2006, 02:30 AM
All I have to say is either this guy's one heck of a shot, a very lucky shot or the kid was flying low and slow for the plane to be brought down with a .410

A real man would have used a 12 guage. :p

:edit: qban, maybe they're these (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimknapp/goats.html) kind goats and the guy's too dumb to realize it. :D

AH! The famous "fainting goats" from Willy-Nilly land (err, Nova Scotia). Heck, those goats will faint if one shouts near them. :eek:

TeslaWinger
03-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Herd about 50 of those fainters onstage and with the first chord of the show, the goats go bellyup! WAAA Plopplopplopplopplop! With a good sound guy you might get them to swoon in a wave! Ahhhhh. Science, art and nature! Life is good- just hit where yer aimin'!

TW

qban_flyer
03-29-2006, 05:55 AM
Herd about 50 of those fainters onstage and with the first chord of the show, the goats go bellyup! WAAA Plopplopplopplopplop! With a good sound guy you might get them to swoon in a wave! Ahhhhh. Science, art and nature! Life is good- just hit where yer aimin'!

TW

You had me rolling on the floor. LOL :D :D :D

I was picturing it in my mind's eye while I was reading. What a sight that would be. :eek:

oracle_9
03-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Wow, first time I read of someone shotting a r/c plane down. That was dangerous, he could have shot the kid. Good that he got sentenced.

Noise complaint? Maybe, but what about his chickens? They make noises too especially if the guy has a roaster, so everyone in the nieghbourhood would wake up at 5:00am everyday. Oh boy.

Uhm, smoking and CFC is good then??? I misread this then?

qban_flyer
03-29-2006, 02:57 PM
YUP!

It takes a special kind of flakey one to shoot an electric plane down like that. I wonder if the goats fainted when they heard the shot? :confused:

You're right about his noisy rooster(s) too. It (they) should be shot as well! :D

pilotpete2
03-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi Qban_flyer, and all in this thread,

Hey look, the guy was probably inspired by a rerun of Magnum PI:p,
Anyone remember the episode where Higgins woke up Magnum early on a Sunday am. with his r/c plane, and gets shot down by Magnum:D, funny in the Tv show, but some people have a problem with separating life from Tv reality:rolleyes:.

Pete

qban_flyer
03-29-2006, 06:22 PM
YUP!

Quite a few out there live in La-La Land all the time. They figure that if it is OK to do so on TV, it is OK to do so in "real life" as well. Scary, isn't it? :eek:

edffanatic
03-29-2006, 06:25 PM
This guy can't be real. Shooting down an electric plane, that makes virtually no noise. I wonder what time of year it was. It it was summer, the animals may not have gotten the care and treatment they need for that time of year, and thusly they will have physical symptoms and problems. If the guy had any sense he would introduce his own child to some kind of modeling or radio control.

qban_flyer
03-29-2006, 06:46 PM
This guy can't be real. Shooting down an electric plane, that makes virtually no noise. I wonder what time of year it was. It it was summer, the animals may not have gotten the care and treatment they need for that time of year, and thusly they will have physical symptoms and problems. If the guy had any sense he would introduce his own child to some kind of modeling or radio control.

HE, HE, HE, we know the turkey hasn't got any brains, much less any common sense or playing with a full deck. :eek:

Perhaps he was being pestered by his own kids into getting them one of "them thar flying toys", and not being able to afford it he shot the "pest" down from the sky? :confused:

On the other hand, perhaps the "man" spent too much of his time in front of the TV watching Magnum P.I. as pilotpete2 said and got "inspired" into emulating the TV character's actions? :confused:

edffanatic
03-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Ditto!!!! HaHaHa!!!!! If he has the critters he says he does, he should be taking care of them instead of being a couch potato. :)

qban_flyer
03-29-2006, 07:36 PM
YUP!

Them fainting goats may need to see a shrink or be put on Valium! Better yet, put the flake that owns them on Valium and Prozac as well. :D