PDA

View Full Version : Any other RC hobbies?

Shredder111
03-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Do you guys have any other RC interests other than planes? I love RC cars!!!! I have a highly modded Evader ST and I bash the crap out of it:D I will put some pics up later. Include pics if you want.

Shredder111:cool:

EpoweredRc
03-26-2006, 03:42 AM
I grew up with rc cars, then went to planes then we got into boats for a season. i just got me a small toy boat the otherday at K mart to play with in my gfs swimming pool but its not very fast.

50+AirYears
03-26-2006, 04:42 AM
I do have an interest in RC model ships, but for some reason, almost no interest in cars, but I have had a couple tanks, and someday I would like to get one of those semis advertised in Tower. One of our lab techs got an assignment to buy and build a couple for an SAE show last year. A box trailer with a COE, and a tanker with a conventional tractor. Now, they are COOL!!

I almost got jealous. Imagine your company buying a couple and paying you to build something like that. And test them out on business hours.

frvrngn
03-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Started with cars. Had electric buggies for a long time, then got into carpet cars. Stopped for a long time and just got into flight last summer and am addicted more than the old cars!

Last summer when we moved to SC I had to clean out the old attic. I found my old box of car parts! I put together and am still running now an old Grasshopper and a BearFoot monster truck :) Had to refill the shocks and replace all the dry rotted rubber bits, but they are both running great. I even found an old Pocket Rocket race motor from my carpet cars that I threw into the Grasshopper. Now it does wheelies the entire length of my driveway! When its too windy to fly or I just want to goof off for a bit I take out the cars and run around.

vicman
03-27-2006, 05:21 PM
I got to fly a sub inside a nuclear reactor last year. Is that anything?
My son and I also enjoy trucks and rockets.

MikeMc
03-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Only because my son is into them but cars, trucks, tanks.

Shredder111
03-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Wow! It is great to see such a diverse array of interests:D I am also interested in rockets, but for now I cannot find any motors:D :D :D I may build a rocket soon though:rolleyes:

I cannot wait until I get started with RC Planes!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Shredder111:cool:

vicman
03-27-2006, 08:28 PM
While I realize you are located on the moon (why don't people tell the truth?;) ) Wal-Mart is everywhere. If you need larger than the C or D motors and you were somwhere near me I could still hook you up.

BillM
04-10-2006, 05:33 AM
My other R/C passion is boating. I like all kinds but prefer sailboats. I have 3 sailboats and 4 power boats. I don't sail as much as I would like. The place we used in the past is now off limits due to a change of ownership. Looking for a new venue at present.

BM

Jollyroger
04-30-2006, 05:02 PM
I had an Associated RC 10 GT for a couple years. I moved on to fast electric boats. My first was built from plans from RC Boat modeler. Bought a 6 cell from Blew By You and now running a Fine Design Offshore 32" with SS-1 motor through a Fine Design gearbox. All F.D. hardware. Goes like stink with 16 cells.
Also built a design by Jay Turner called the Yellow Jacket, 6 cell outrigger hydro for brushed motor.
I like boats as there are a lot of lakes in my area.
My older brother is scratch building a scale model of an 1898 torpedo boat called the "SS Erickson" He lofted the hull and built it up from wood and then glassed it . Also built all the drive hardware aw well as scale prop shaft struts.

TLyttle
05-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Hmmmm.. Couldn't get into cars at all, everything was 2-dimensional, no altitude, and no orientation when looking down!!! Wierd...

I have an r/c boat that I built many years ago. It is a 24" semi-scale model of a San Francisco ferry, but I got hung up on the technology: rocking-beam engine, 5' (yes, folks, that's five feet) bore, 11' stroke, steam, capable of 22kts (!), talk about a BIG waterspider! All this and it was built in the 1850s. Haven't run it yet...

Jollyroger
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Tlyttle, how about some pics?

TLyttle
05-02-2006, 02:33 AM
I'll try, it will be a couple of days...

TLyttle
05-03-2006, 06:36 PM
I mentioned a boat...
If the pics go through, this is a San Francisco passenger ferry from the 1850s that I built (and obviously never finished, no deck detail) some years ago. The original had been named for the owner, JM Donaldson, but I used the same script to rechristen it in honour of my mother; she loved it! I only got it back after she died a couple of years ago, and other projects got in the way of me finishing it.

Again, I get very little kick out of running boats/cars, but I should get on with this one while my eyesight holds out!

Length is 24", power is an old German-built Richard motor with 6-speed planetary gearbox. Construction is just doorskin, cheap and easily worked.

One of these days...

Jollyroger
05-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Looks great!