PDA

View Full Version : Video of Denver...

Franny
03-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Hi All,

I've been working on mounting my CoolPix3700 to my 1/2 A Viking. Well, the first attempts weren't so great, but I think I finally got a decent video today. The first picture below shows my first mounting design. The problem was that the lens was completely unprotected and it managed to get dug in and bent back on two not-so-great- landings. Also, the camera was pointed down too much. The next pictures show a couple of mods. I added a "tongue" to protect the lens. I thought about a way to turn the camera off in flight which would cause the lens to collapse inside the camera. I might still try to work that out... I also added a brace for the shutter control and a foam "finger". I took lots of stills, but they all were really blurry. I took a few on the ground and they were just fine so I know the camera is fine. I had it zoomed all the way in and at the speed that thing was going (40MPH+!), it was just too fast. I'll try again with no zoom. Anyway, in the video you can see the Museum of Natural History, The Zoo and City park as well as City Park golf course. If you looks really carefully, there are four AT6 Texans flying in formation east from the flying field! You'll see their shadow first and then I tried to get a shot of them. Anyway, it was a lovely day today. Downtown is visible as is the entire front range and even, way off on the horizon, Denver International Airport (NE). The housing development to the east is Park Hill with many 100+ year old houses. Just for reference, the mountains are due West…

If you can't get the link to work, copy and past it into your browser.

Here is a large file (~17M):

http://www.heidiandfranny.com/Franny/Franny's%20Models/Aerial_Video/Flight2_movie320x240.wmv (http://www.heidiandfranny.com/Franny/Franny%27s%20Models/Aerial_Video/Flight2_movie320x240.wmv)

And a smaller version (~3.5M):

http://www.heidiandfranny.com/Franny/Franny's%20Models/Aerial_Video/Flight2_movie-0002.wmv (http://www.heidiandfranny.com/Franny/Franny%27s%20Models/Aerial_Video/Flight2_movie-0002.wmv)

Thanks,

Franny

firemanbill
03-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Very nice Franny. That makes me want to try it!

Franny
03-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks Bill,

Too windy today :( I'll try again next weekend for some stills. Looks like this will take a bit or R&D work.

Hey, nice Bug!

Franny

firemanbill
03-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks Franny, The bug is my other Obsession... ummm I mean hobby! I've got 4, 3 bugs and a ghia...

check out my clubs website at http://www.pvwc.org

Franny
03-27-2006, 02:24 AM
Great Bugs! Not to get too off the subject, but I had a 71, two 72s and a 73. I currently have a turbo new beetle cabriolet. Oh, I love the dealership in the background!

f

Qualcity
03-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Very nice shaddows of the Texans. Too bad they were too far out to shoot. :)

Franny
04-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi all,

I figured out why my stills were so blurry... The prop wasn't balanced well. I got a new prop balancer and things are MUCH better! Here are a few photos of Denver City Park, City Park Golf Course (yes.. it is 18 holes) The Denver Zoo, Downtown, and the Museum of Natural History. They were taken from the same Nikon CoolPix 3700 last Sat the first. I got some great video, but my main computer is all jacked... Hijacked to be exact so I can't process anything until I get that nightmare straightened out.

All this has been great info for developing a dedicated photography aircraft. So far this is what I'm thinking... It will be a pusher, outrunner with a large folding prop to reduce noise and drag, high aspect ratio relatively flat wing with ailerons. The poly dihedral is just too bouncy and subject to wild rolling. Five channel... The nose will accept a couple different cameras fully enclosed and shock mounted - one dirty landing and the camera isn't able to move its lens. I don't want it to be too big, bit it needs to fly slow and stable. Also a robust large landing gear is a must. Anyway, just some thoughts...

Thanks, Franny

Randy Due
04-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Yep, prop balancers are great tools.;) I don't know how I ever lived without one.:rolleyes: I agree about the pusher. I love pushers. My last 3 or 4 AP planes have been pushers, including my latest with modular design. I like the idea of being able to change pods and break the plane down if I need. I currently have a dedicated video pod, but am soon to build a pod for my Nikon. I am just now getting around to trying an outrunner. So far I like it. It's a Nippy Black 2510/114 propped with APC 11x5.5E. Draws around 25A WOT on Apogee 3s 2480 packs. Plenty of thrust for my 54oz pig. Nice pics, by the way. Must be nice to live where there is actually good scenery!:D Nothing but plain stuff here.

Randy

Franny
04-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Thanks Randy,

I was searching Google maps looking for more spots to film. Maybe a bit closer to Downtown... I think the time of day is huge too.

I like your modular idea... That's neat. The outrunners are cool, huh. I have found that you get what you pay for though... I just maidened a small piper cub with a cheaper motor and speed control and on the first landing, I nosed over and bent the shaft! I couldn't believe it... That has never happened with my E-Flight motors... Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks,

Franny