PDA

View Full Version : GP 1800Mah NiMhsubstituting sanyo 600mah nicads

tann200
08-17-2005, 03:31 PM
can anyone tell me if that substitution should work?
Ok, seems like the 1800Mah NIMH AA 8cell pack gives less punch than 7pack AA NIcd 600mah Sanyo, only problem is that some cells from my old pack are shorted since the pack is 4 years old and i havent used it more than 10 charges.
are only strong and lightweight solution really lipos?
There arent much modelling shops around here estonia, so even those are hard to get

thejc
08-17-2005, 10:43 PM
what use are you going to use them for?

Matt Kirsch
08-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Generally, NiCds have a higher capacity for current than NiMH. Even though you are probably going down in physical size, the NiCds should work okay in place of NiMH. However, you will cut your flying time by approximately 1/3.

Now, if you meant the other way, it depends on which "1800mAh NiMH" you are talking about... When going from NiCd to NiMH, best practice is to go with the same size cells. The equivalent to a 600mAh 2/3A NiCd is an 1100mAh 2/3A NiMH.

These 1800mAh NiMH are probably AA size, which means they're not good for the high-current world of R/C aircraft. They were designed for capacity, not "punch," and won't last very long. They're better used in kid's toys and digital cameras.

tann200
08-18-2005, 07:21 AM
what i ment was, that i had some toy rc plane, bought long ago and it had 7 sanyo 600mah nicd s in a battery pack. this one is tired now, and i need to replace them with something.
i made a 8 battery pack from 1800mah nimh GP accus, which should be good in quality, and it seems something is wrong perhaps in rx schematic (built in radio with auto motor cutoff system, if power goes down) , because when i connect voltmeter to my working plane, it shows me that voltage is down on 8, but should be 11 atleast and the nimhs doesnt seem to give out much amperage either.