PDA

View Full Version : GP Seawind w/Park 450?

iflyfisher
06-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi all, been flying a Splash 3d off the lake behind my house for the past couple of years, and it is getting kind of ratty. I'd like to pick up another float plane and am thinking about Great Plane's Seawind. I have read a number of posts from folks that really seem to like it.

Looking at a few of the online sellers, and seems that all are out of the kits that include the motor. I have an unused Park 450 lying around that might work, but it likes a 9" prop. I believe GP recommends an 8", like an 8x6. I don't know if that 9" will clear. Any experience using this motor or 9" props on your Seawind?

Thanks,

Ken
Michigan

Jim Casey
06-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Ken, I'm not a seawind flyer, but one option you might consider is a 3-blade prop.
They absorb more power in a smaller diameter. An 8x6 3-blade would work where a 9-6 2-blade is normally used.

dmarlin
06-27-2010, 05:02 PM
My friend flies a seawind EP. It is a really nice flyer but the engine nacelle is quite small. This is not a plane where you can easily increase the recommended engine IMO. Just a heads up. He originally went with different motor and had to do some magic to fit it in. After an unfortunate crash....he bought another right away but decided to go with the recommended motor instead of trying to fit the larger motor in again.

Good luck. We live on water and it is nice to have planes that fly off the water. Floats planes are serviceable but really are a compromise. The Seawind flies like a real plane but does not suffer from limitations that float planes suffer from IMO.

iflyfisher
06-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the input gents. I was able to locate an RxR version of the kit last night, so I am going with the recommended setup. I'll just have to find another use for the Park 450 ;)

I'm looking forward to flying something more akin to a plane. The Splash 3D I have been flying is sort of a hybrid thing. I have a basement room full of nice nitro planes, but because we live on a lake, I mainly just step out the back door and fly the electric. I think the Seawind will be a nice change to the more conventional.

Ken