PDA

View Full Version : Nakajima Ki-83-l Hayabusa by Warbirdkits 1/12 scale

St. Martin
03-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Here's another little gem from the design table of Tom Jacoby, at Warbirdkits.

Scale 1/12, WS. 35.6", WA. 212sq, LOA. 27.75", Est AUW. 17-19oz, Power. SP-400 or BL equivilent.

The kit is, as all Warbirdkits models, CAD drawn w/lazer cut parts. This is basically a short kit. But, bottom wing skins are supplied, and are scored for proper placement of parts.

The following Items are needed:
3/32" alum tubing, 1/16" MW, 1/16" balsa sht for top wing skin and fuselage sheeting, 1/8" hardwood dowel, 1-1/2" spinner( altho a vacuum formed scale version is supplied), wing bolt(6/32), hinges, radio and affiliated hardware, adhesives, paint and or covering materials, and power system.

As my experience in Tom's kits, this one is no exception. The parts are accurate and clean, cut from light wood. The fuse is built, using the horizontal half shell method. I had a little trouble attaching the fuse sheeting and elected to finish it using the planking method. Tom later informed me that he segmented the sheeting on the proto. This would have made things easier, had I thought of it.

Here's todays installment..

Steve

Big_Bird
03-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Nakajima Ki-83-l Hayabusa

don't you mean

Nakajima Ki-43-l Hayabusa ?

St. Martin
03-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Yes, Ken. You are correct. My error. Thanx!

Steve

Big_Bird
03-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Steve I saw your painted prototype over on RCgroups and it is outstanding. What is the all up weight and when do you plan to fly it?

Can't you go back and edit your first post to correct the title? If not, you can ask a moderator to do it for you.

St. Martin
04-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Ken. That was Tom's prototype. Mine is finished. AUW cam out @ 24oz. Not bad for the wing area. It would have been 21oz, but I had to add lead to the nose. This may be lessened as I have the CG a little forward for first flights. I elected to do a "captured" allied scheme.

The construction is very easy, but I believe it would be better to use a long can mega. Such as the 16/25/4-6. I have installed a 16/15/5, PQ 3100 2s. And a 8-6SF. The thrust is very good. More than my normal use of 8-Kans and 7-5E prop, on the /5.

Test flight next week.

Steve