PDA

View Full Version : Balsacraft Spitfire

madmickey
03-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi
I recently aquired second hand a Balsa Craft Spitfire kit untouched. The kit was originally designed for electric power off a speed 600 motor and 8 nicads. I would like to use a more modern power plant of a brushless outrunner and Lipos.
Has anyone got any experience of this kit and conversion or can anyone give me some advice.

Mike

watt_the?!
03-28-2006, 09:47 PM
no experience with it specifically...but what conversion advice are you after?

an alternative power setup?

Tim

madmickey
03-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi
What would be a modern alternative power set up ie Motor, batteries and ESC.

Mike

watt_the?!
03-28-2006, 10:23 PM
need to work backwards from the specced setup.

8nicad on speed 600 on 8x5 prop is around 10k rpm, 20A and 450g thrust.
total weight

i assume you want more?

i would go for lipos weighing the same as the nicds (too keep the nose weight similar), then from there work out what motor and prop you can use.

8 x nicad (depends on mah capacity) weight = ?

what capacity does it spec for?

Tim

Flying Sparks
03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi Madmickey

I've got a Balsacraft Spitfire although it's not flown for a while. Great model, not the quickest of builds but worth the effort. For the first flights it was powered by a speed 600 race, 8x4 slimprop, 10 Sanyo 1600's. With this setup it could fly straight and level, loop from a drive, full power required most of the time. Then I added a MP Jet 3.33:1 gear box, 13x6 folder, speed 600 race, 10 x Sanyo 1600's, scale like flight. Next I tried a Kontronic set 501 (480 BL + G box) 13x6 folder, 10 x Sany o 1600's, WOW, hold on tight!

The best setup was with the MP Jet box and speed 600 and very scale like speeds. The kontronic was way over powered even for a Spitfire. I started using folders as the APC props would get broken every other sortie. Must get the gear back in the model and fly it again.

tim hooper
03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
The Balsacraft Spit seems pretty similar in size to the Ripmax ARTF. A clubmate has one of these and it's pretty impressive on an AXI 2820/10 on 10xCP1700 cells.

Alternatively, why not ask the Balsacraft designer himself? Pete Nicholson is registered on these forums;

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=174

Tell him I sent you! :D

tim

Jim Finn
12-31-2006, 05:02 AM
A few years ago I built this kit and installed a Jeti Phasor 45-3 from hobby lobby. I used 10 -2100 nicads and it flew very well. Fast and stable. I built it without landing gear and bungee launched it and landed on grass. I used rotary linkage and seperate servos on each aileron and did not install a working rudder. One thing I do when building electric planes is to make a longer than needed battery compartment over the balance point. This allows me to balance the acft. without adding ballast by shifting the battery pack fore or aft.

Robbie d
04-05-2007, 04:16 AM
The ripmax rtf is the same as the balsacraft kits, but in RTF form. There was a review done, either the other rc forum around here or in QEFI, cant remember which.