PDA

View Full Version : Brutal Spy Blade (I need camera tuning tips.)

Brutal E
03-29-2006, 05:51 AM
I bought a wireless spycam for my helis first up is the Blade CP I had to adjust the pitch to get it to take off but it did fly. Number one upgrade is going to be a BEC to run the camera frees up a good amount weight. Also I am guessing vibration is causing some of the static I am getting. Mounting the camera inside of the nose of the canopy is also putting the camera to close to the RX. So any mounting tips. Only thing I can think of is building a little Lego camera mount sort of counter balance low and rear and camera on forward boom half way up. Rubber grommets maybe some styrfoam insulation. Any tips I am listening. Can I make a BEC from radio shack parts? Any tips on how to isolate the camera from vibration? Or simple design for a good camera mount. I can make something out of legos. I have already made a nice mount. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas on things to try that might cut down on some vibration.

Thanks in advance.

Ira
03-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Hey Brutal, check page 2 of this forum under ( Vibration Or What?) I think I got a frowney face for mentioning my slimer but what greater need can there be for vibration reduction:)

Brutal E
03-29-2006, 07:31 AM
So I read through that, my camera is CMOS so I guess I am screwed. I am using a JMK Wireless camera. Should I give up on this rig? Anyone fly a CMOS rig with any good results?

Brutal E
03-30-2006, 07:01 AM
You actually need a ham radio license to use that Black Widow stuff? How do I get one of those? I want a high quality set up any suggestions? I am going to try my best to get a good picture out of my set up for now but I will be upgrading I am sure.

Randy Due
03-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Go here http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl for practice test. To be legal, you'll need a minimum of technician class license for using a BWAV system or any other system that is not labeled FCC Part 15. I can't remember the power output limit that qualifies for Part 15, but seems like it's pretty low, like maybe 10mw.

You can go here http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html to get the question pool or if you don't mind spending a little cash on study guides, the Gordon West book and audio cd set is really good.

You can go here http://www.w5yi.org/links.php?master_list=1&type=alpha&exit=x&master_title=Amateur+Station+Call+Signs

to find exam locations and other good info. It's really not hard after you go over the info for a few days. I got the Gordon West stuff and kept taking the online practice tests until I consistently scored above 90. Then I went in, took my test and was out in less than 30 minutes. I think it cost $14 for the test. License is good for 10 years.

I have a BWAV 600mw system and really like it. I use it on fixed wing aircraft, but it should do fine on a heli. I didn't have much luck with a cheap cmos system that I had owned for a while. If you can solder, BWAV has Brown Bag kits that allow you to save some money. If you really want to play it safe, you may be interested in the 1 watt system if they still have it.

Randy

Brutal E
03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
I do not need the range right now. I do need a good camera. Is there anything I can do say like buy a really good camera but pair it with a rig that gets me under on the requirements? All of Black Widow gear needs the license? What about just getting a camera I could always use it with my current set up right? Lttle sodering and voila.

Randy Due
03-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I do not need the range right now. I do need a good camera. Is there anything I can do say like buy a really good camera but pair it with a rig that gets me under on the requirements? All of Black Widow gear needs the license? What about just getting a camera I could always use it with my current set up right? Lttle sodering and voila.

There's probably a way to do it, but it depends on the quality of transmitter as to whether or not it's worth the effort, IMO. The cheap part 15 system I had, glitched after a few feet. I built a Mr RC-cam patch antenna for it and it helped, but still glitched way sooner than I liked. So, I went ahead and got the BW and a HAM tech license.

Brutal E
04-02-2006, 10:22 AM
I had an idea what about flying a nice DV cam on a gimble set up. No need for the fancy wireless stuff. Just a really nice camera with a custom built gimble. I hear you can get good results that way. I can use my other rig to actually fly the thing if I want. My set up is as follows.

MX400 , Futaba GY401 gyro with high speed rudder servo, Spektrum DX6 radio, Align 430L brushless motor, Align 35A Brushless ESC(Governer Mode), and Thuinder 2100 Lipos. Also a BEC to free up some weight.

Think small Sony DV cam under it. Any chances this thing would even take off? Just looking at my options.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Brutal E
04-03-2006, 01:24 AM
12 ounces is target weight.