PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything better than scale?

Nathan
07-21-2005, 12:43 AM
For many the challenge of designing and/or building a scale model is the essence of this hobby. For you guys, welcome and enjoy your own spot online to discuss the details of your passion.

tailskid
08-02-2005, 02:04 AM
IMHO scale is the only 'real thing' :)

Jerry

St. Martin
08-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Thank you Nathan! Will do!

Wassup, Jerry! I'll help getting this forum going!

Steve

E-Challenged
08-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Only kidding!:D

markmm
09-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Being a scale modeller, rather than a "flyer", nope...there isn't anything better than scale building.

I've got a lot of respect for those guys that commit hours/weeks/months/years to just one plane, and getting all the details just right.

Lots to learn, and it's a lot of work, but building to scale is worth it.

LOL
11-09-2005, 02:52 PM
As a retired Naval Aviation Mechanic, I think scale models are a challenge
,and add more fun to our hobby. LOL

Flite-Metal
12-14-2005, 01:13 AM
In general, people don't get into aeromodeling because they like trainers and stick models resembling twigs. They envision themselves building and flying a scale whatever...as you know, today's whatever can literally be just about anything imaginable. IMHO

TLyttle
12-14-2005, 02:35 AM
Right on, Ed. The answer to the question is No.

Twmaster
12-14-2005, 02:44 AM
The only thing better than building scale is flying in the real thing.

inedesca
12-14-2005, 03:22 AM
I started as a kid with plastic kits, collected thousands of aircraft photographies, books etc so I made a small collection of 1/72 scale planes.
Then when I could afford it I started with r/c scale models, trouble is now that I am not pleased with a model unless it is as scale as possible, so this is a problem since you know flying models do not last forever so all of my work is lost.
But whenever I see a model I easly recognise if it out of scale and it is very unpleasant.
I think I would be happier being satisfied with a semiscale model if I could accept it.

Does not this happen to you?

Flite-Metal
12-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Every scale model is scale to the builder...regardless of it accuracy as it is
an extension of the builders skill set. To be critical about the look of some
other builders work serves to only render a hurtful statement...:(

This is why scale documentation is important and important for builders to
follow the documentation when they build a replica of a 1:1 scale plane. It
is like the statement "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...except it will
be "the eye of the builder".:)

qban_flyer
12-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Yes & No. Scale aeromodeling is a very nice pastime, but so is every other facet of this hobby. Many of us enjoy them just as much as scale building and or flying.

While some of us strictly prefer to fly models that look and behave like the "real thing", we also like to "goof off" by flying things that do not even remotely ressemble a flying machine.

I am not limited to B-25s, P-51s, P-47s, ME-109s, a casual Zero, J3 or a Cessna Skymaster here and there. If it's a radio controlled flying machine, I'll enjoy it to the max. :)

Two examples of my most weird flying models are attached below. The Blu-F-O may look peculiar when flying but does it fly! Made out of Blucor FFF and about 20% larger than the model that served as its "inspiration" is a riot in the air. The J3 flies like a J3 although it does not look like one. The Flying Gateway Box is what I call it.

The last one pictures me when I reallly want to go flying. To soar like a bird is the ultimate thrill in aviation. :)

inedesca
12-14-2005, 03:41 PM
As a matter of fact I fly scale with a lot of care but to make stunts and reckless aerobatics I have a simple model easy to build and repair, mainly sp400's.

So I do not try to fly bombers or airliners inverted or making aerobatics, it is so out of place

qban_flyer
12-14-2005, 05:06 PM
As a matter of fact I fly scale with a lot of care but to make stunts and reckless aerobatics I have a simple model easy to build and repair, mainly sp400's.

So I do not try to fly bombers or airliners inverted or making aerobatics, it is so out of place

WHAT???

Do you mean to tell me that the R/C video of a B-29 doing rolls, loops and inverted low passes 30 feet off the tarmac is not the way real B-29s fly? :D

Link to that insane video found below.

http://video.helifreak.com/tmp/06261831a52a0d1ecc92dffc909eb037/B2911062004.wmv

Flite-Metal
12-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Less this forum drift into a greater discussion of the less than more over that of a greater than with respect to scale modeling skills management
I believe it best to let less than scale conversation occur in the venue
where that is far more abundant. i.e. elsewhere...

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Summer, eating, weddings and a few others. :o

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Summer, eating, weddings and a few others. :o A-10:)

Bill G
12-18-2005, 10:15 PM
I've never been into anything, if it is not a scale replica. I just have to know that there was/is a larger real aiplane it is replicating. To each his own, but this forum should be "scale".