PDA

View Full Version : feigao motors

Spaceclam
08-17-2005, 07:15 PM
i have four 1308434s motors, each of which seem to have worn out after only about an hour of runtime, and ALL AT THE SAME TIME in the same application. i put them in my homebuilt version of a draganflyer. is this common of the feigao motors or what?
:confused:
-Clam

tony.turley
08-18-2005, 02:55 AM
I have one of the short Feigaos running in an LPS gearbox, with about 3 hours run time, and it is still going strong.

Tony Turley

NitroCharged
08-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Clam, what power setup were you using to drive the feigaos?

Spaceclam
08-21-2005, 12:19 AM
11.1v lipo pack, tsunami 10 speed control, 11x4.5 prop at 5.33:1 (about 4300 rpm at the prop)
also, i've just traced it back to a single motor running 500 rpm slower at full throttle than the other 3, and i realized that through trim i had slowed down all the motors by 500 rpm to keep it level, and suddenly i did not have much power left. apparently the 500 rpm makes a whole lot of difference around that speed with these props. so i just have one bad motor that needs to be replaced.

unfortunatly, when i contacted feigao, the guy got stuck on the fact that the motors i used were sucking up 44w imput power per motor for a 2.5 lb plane, and no matter what i could not get it through his head that i had four of these motors, (he thought i only had one) so he told me to get the long version, becuase 44w of power is just not enough for 2.5 lbs. grrr.

so now i am out about $40 to replace it

NitroCharged
08-22-2005, 11:38 PM
It does sound like you are really loading these motors down. A longer can would help. My guess is they are all getting hot but this ones magnets are affected more so than the others. I think in the end all of them will start showing signs of heat damage to the magnets if you continue to load them down as you are.

Spaceclam
08-23-2005, 12:58 AM
well, the thing is, they are rated at a maximum continuous current of 6 amps. i draw 4.2 amps, which i know for a fact. i am going to put heat sinks on them, but they dont have a lot of runtime on them either.

i am not getting word back from my dealer so it looks like it's time for me to replace it. the problem is, once i replace it, it will be better than my other motors rather than the same. damn it.

NitroCharged
08-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Clam, my bad. I really must put my glasses on more often. I thought you were running 120's as apposed to 130 series. It should handle it with ease, according to the thrust data. May I suggest contacting whom ever you purchased the motor from and let him know you have a dud motor that you need to return for replacement. Feigao will be more than happy to do this based on my experience with them. (I took a hammer to my feigao and stuffed it so they sent me a replacement!!!:D) It's true! I had to send a foto of the damaged one as proof I stuffed it first though.

Matt Kirsch
08-23-2005, 03:32 AM
Yeah, don't get bogged down with the details. Just nod your head and say "GWS Tiger Moth." :D

NitroCharged
08-23-2005, 03:43 AM
agreed! :cool: