PDA

View Full Version : Thermic Traveler

NWIBuzzard
03-30-2006, 03:16 AM
I've come into possession of a Thermic Traveler kit. It's an early electric sailplane designed around the Astro 05. Can I substitute a modern Speed 400 with an eye toward F5J? If so, direct drive or geared and what props do you recommend? I really like the looks of this plane and the fact that it takes down easy for travel and would appreciate any comments or experiences.
Thanks in advance,
Jim Deck

Sky Sharkster
03-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi NWIBuzzard, I believe I remember the T.T., it had the same type of wingtip panels as the "Bird of Time", that is the outer panels were wider and curved, also an elliptical tail. Is this the same plane?
Skybench.com has a version of this kit, it has an Eppler 205 wing section.
Models of this kind can be powered with a "400" sized motor if it's geared. Direct drive would use a much smaller (like 6" x 3") prop which would really struggle to move an airplane this large. My suggestion would be a 6.0 volt 400 with the MP Jet planetary G.B. 3.3:1 ratio. This would use a 9" x 6" or 10" x 6" folder. The CAM series work pretty well in this application. Either 7-8 x 1100 mAH (roughly) cells or 3 cell LiPo. The LiPo is higher voltage and will shorten the life of the motor.
Hobby-Lobby.com carries the motors, props and gearbox.
Hope I'm thinking of the correct plane!
Good Luck
Ron

NWIBuzzard
03-31-2006, 04:01 PM
You are indeed correct. I think that the kit is still produced by Bob Schlif. It's kind of a traditional balsa kit but with the "Bird of Time" like wings and neat take down feature, it caught my eye. I'll definitely follow up on your power system suggestions.
Thanks for your prompt response - this forum is most effective,
Jim Deck

BigDipper
12-13-2006, 01:23 AM
...still flying one...I love it! Asroflight 05 FAI geared 2.5 to 1...silver brushes...13x7 carbon folder....Greatplanes Lipo ESC w/BEC....TP2100Mah 3S packs....15 climbs strait up!!!!!! I still have another unbuilt in the closet. Right up there with the Astro Challenger!:)

Up&Away
12-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Got any pics?

Glo4U
07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I have one for sale NIB 40.00.

GloriaW4@prodigy.net