PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting out of RC totally

losi24
03-30-2006, 06:17 AM
over the past few days i have been contemplating about getting out of RC altogether. i literally have almost no budget, and crappy gear. i also can't get a job anywhere.:( i just dont know what to do anymore.:( any ideas? it hurts me to get out, but you can't function on no money.:rolleyes:

Geoff_Gino
03-30-2006, 06:39 AM
Sorry to hear that. I see in one of the threads that Atlanta Hobby are looking for someone.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5700

losi24
03-30-2006, 06:40 AM
could you post a link please? thank you!

Geoff_Gino
03-30-2006, 06:53 AM
could you post a link please? thank you!

See post #2

Ribcracker
04-01-2006, 03:03 AM
losi,
Aren't you a high school kid? Of course you don't have any money. The only way you can make money is cutting lawns and shoveling walks. That doesn't go very far toward buying rc stuff.
I know that you've got some basic rc equipment so you are still in the game. Use what you have. Be creative! Some day you'll be making a decent wage (if you play your cards right) and this won't be an issue.
When you get your license, you'll drive a crappy car until you can afford something better. A crappy car is better than no car. Your first apartment will be a one room affair over the bowling ally, but it sure beats living at home. And don't forget priorities. Would you rather have a leather jacket or a well equiped aerobat?
I guess the point I'm trying to make is...try to enjoy what you've got. I know you love to fly and flying "crap" is way better than watching TV.
Try to be patient. You're a bright kid and good things will come to you.
Peace,
Rib

losi24
04-01-2006, 03:51 AM
rib, i guess you're right. i am in J High.:) 8th grade, and going strong! i sure hope i get some RC stuff when i'm older, i plan on going to college for my business degree and opening a hobby shop.:) thank you for talking me out of it. my cousin was going to buy me a paintball gun, but tomorrow i'm going to go and get it off layaway and just take the money....like $70-80! my neighbor and i and a few of his students from the high school are going to spokane for a rocket launch next Saturday, and we're both in need of RC related equipment, so we get to make a pit stop at Hobbytown USA. my favorite store! :grin: i plan on buying my stuff then..at least, as much as possible. i have a 3DX built right now, and plan on building a Ultimate Bipe as soon as this Foamboard dries....my mom bought me some elmers foamboard.:)

PS, i hope to score my brothers 1958 Chevy Apache with a 400 small block for my first pickup(i wish):rolleyes:

Jeremy Z
04-01-2006, 04:18 AM
What kind of gear do you have? Let us know, we are a creative bunch.

Which two planes do you like the MOST?

How good of a pilot are you? Can you fly without crashing 95% of the time?

Looking at your list of planes, this is what I'd do:

1) Sell everything but the Spectra.
2) Use the proceeds to get an EasyStar. The reason I say this is that you will always have it. It is hard to break if you have a modicum of skill. It's $60, and you already have the gear to equip it. This will keep you in the air while you save for other things. The Slow Stick won't handle the wind or crashes like the EasyStar will. Get another one when you have more money to tinker around with it.
3) At your age, income comes from birthdays & Christmas, for the most part. Start scrambling and asking around as to what you might do to pick up a few bucks. I mowed an couple of old ladies' lawns for $10 a pop when I was your age. When I turned 15, I quit the soccer team, took CPR and first aid classes, and became a lifeguard. Then, I taught kids how to swim. It paid $4.50 an hour, but was pretty fun.
4) When I turned 16, I got a job as a chicken cook at KFC. I did that for around 9 months, then moved up to a bus boy position at a local pizza place. (Aurelio's, in Homewood, IL, the best thin crust pizza ANYWHERE) I loved that job. I ate pizza every night, and never got sick of it. I did that until I finished high school. Then, I joined the Army Reserves, got another job, and went to engineering school.
5) About the time I was 13, I forgot all about RC cars, which I had been into, and became interested in girls. I have to say that I don't regret a minute of it. :)
6) Only recently, after I finally graduated college after 10 years of working part time and attending school, can I finally afford to get what I want.

Hang in there. You've already got more than most of us did at your age.

Most likely, you will discover girls soon, and forget all about us. ...and we won't hold it against you. :D You'll be back in 10-15 years. We'll still be here.

If you really work hard at school and at a job, you can have girls AND RC planes. No kid your age could ask for more.

When I was your age, there were only glow planes, which were way too ex*****ve for me. I didn't even have a crappy car.

Jeremy Z
04-01-2006, 04:21 AM
One tip: the more planes you have, the more your money is spread around. CONSOLIDATE, and you will magically have more money. Half as many servos, receivers, speed controls, motors, and battery packs to buy.

I tried to get at that point in my post above; I don't know if it came across.

I dreamed of RC planes when I was in Jr. High. Could only afford cars that broke every time they hit a curb. ;)

losi24
04-01-2006, 04:26 AM
Jeremy, i think you for the reply. i can fly pretty damn good, if i say so myself. anything that you throw in front of me with an electric motor, i will fly it.(with a few exceptions) i dont want to step backward when i have a couple of 3D planes that just need gear...i'm focusing on the 3DX, the plane in my avatar. like i said in an earlier post, i'm buying stuff for it saturday.:)

Jeremy Z
04-01-2006, 04:52 AM
Well, if you're into aerobatics, I guess the key is to get something durable.

So sell the Slow Stick, BN-2, Wanderer, & Spectra, and try a 48" flying wing. OMG are they fun. (and durable!) Nearly impossible to break. Trust me, I know. They're not 3D, but they're very aerobatic and fast. Also, they handle wind better than anything you've got.

The trick with 3D is in flying without the expensive crashes...

But even if you only had an EasyStar, it sure beats getting out of the hobby altogether, doesn't it?

Soupcue
04-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Hey Losi, Jeremys 100% on the mark. When I was in 7th grade or so I use to dream about getting an airplane. I finally saved up enough and got a GP ElectraCub. What a overweight peice. It never flew. I got back in to the hobby about 5 years ago when I saw a Firebird at a local shop. Now Im hooked. I have more planes than I have time to fly Im 32 and have 4 kids 3 of them under 5 years old. I get to fly once or twice a week for a few hours if Im lucky. Find a model that you like when your sick of it sell it a get something new. In no time youll be out in the real world working fulll time. The key is to spend a few more years in school to get that collage deg. that will get your foot in the door when you start looking for a job. That whay you dont have to spend 10+ years working at the same place before you start making good money. Someday youll be able to look through any mag and buy anyone you want. Then youll have Kids!!. est of luck

losi24
04-01-2006, 06:24 AM
thank you soupcue. well, i agree on the expensive crash bit, but the plane costed me $5! i just buy foamboard from walmart. i am currently building an Ultimate Bipe, so i'm set on planes right now.

qban_flyer
04-01-2006, 06:45 AM
K,

Rib hit your nail right on the head. Just hold on and persevere. You'll get there sooner than you think. Keep me posted, plzzz! :)

Jeremy Z
04-01-2006, 05:12 PM
thank you soupcue. well, i agree on the expensive crash bit, but the plane costed me $5! i just buy foamboard from walmart. i am currently building an Ultimate Bipe, so i'm set on planes right now.

If you're not already, keep an eye on my build thread.

I'm going to finish it this weekend, possibly even today!

geo8498@mac.com
04-01-2006, 11:48 PM
If had no money, I'd keep flying that Slow Stick. You can put just about anything on it to keep it flying. You can get rechargeable AA batteries at the drugstore and build your own packs. That plane can taking a beating and be fixed very cheaply. Some scrap foam and balsa sticks, popsicle sticks, duct tape, elmers glue, etc. You can even super glue broken props in a pinch. I have a can full of glued props as backups.

On top of that, there are many things you can do with it to keep yourself interested. Try dropping a disposable camera under it and take some aerial shots. Play with some scrap foam and mess around with different wing variations. etc.

Keep your chin up. Good luck.

opquickie
04-12-2006, 02:04 AM
hey man, as far as getting a job goes the best you can do is probably a grocery store. they are the only people i can really think that will give you a constant income at such a young age.

i got a job at an ace hardware store after applying just about everywhere when i was 16 and i'm still workin there at 18. but i'll be off to college soon (University of Florida!!! Nat'l Champs Basketball '06!!!)

the most important thing i can tell you is to make sure you take a step back and really look at what you're doing. make sure you got your priorities straight. i might catch heat for this but RC isn't everything. especially when your only in jr high. make sure you keep your grades up so you can own that RC store later on!

later man

qban_flyer
04-12-2006, 04:17 AM
hey man, as far as getting a job goes the best you can do is probably a grocery store. they are the only people i can really think that will give you a constant income at such a young age.

i got a job at an ace hardware store after applying just about everywhere when i was 16 and i'm still workin there at 18. but i'll be off to college soon (University of Florida!!! Nat'l Champs Basketball '06!!!)

the most important thing i can tell you is to make sure you take a step back and really look at what you're doing. make sure you got your priorities straight. i might catch heat for this but RC isn't everything. especially when your only in jr high. make sure you keep your grades up so you can own that RC store later on!

later man

Very sound advice! :)

losi24
04-12-2006, 04:58 AM
Agreed. things are REALLY looking up now! i sent out Money Orders for my RX, Li-PO, and servos yesterday! :D i have my charger, ESC, and props right now. the RX is coming with the lipo, but the problem is, its + shift and i need - shift for my Hitec Focus 4 FM. i also need a crystal. anyone that would be willing to trade, lemme know! :cool:

comets8518
04-12-2006, 05:53 AM
you're poor in Jr. High, you'll be poor in high school, and then like me you'll be poor in college, and i'll probably poor in medical school and poor in residency and then when i'm 35...RICH :) probably not but I can dream.

best ways to make money w/ no job.

- mow lawns (you need a car or your mom to drive you w/ a lawnmower)
- babysit ---huge money in that
-spray pain house street numbers on curbs... get some numbers, and some spray paint and offer to do it for $7/house, charge extra for special designs (here we do it in the texas flag)
-when you turn 18, sell your plasma.
thats pretty much all I remember doing.
Baskin robbins hired me at 14, but only bc I was close to 15 at the time.
Sell your kidney, those are good for $10,000 on the black market.

(if anyone wants a good kidney, let me know I've got an extra one, :) )

I'm flying a formosa now very nice flier, very fragile. Next is going to be a superfly from superflyrc.com EPP will keep me out of trouble I hope, the battery your getting is what i'm going to use it for.

K CLOSE
04-14-2006, 02:17 AM
I concur with JermeyZ and Opquickie. Good sound advise. I, for one, think it's great that your into flying, but all good things in due time. It is really easy to spend lots of cash fast in this hobby--but it isn't necessary. Whats wrong with a humble brushed GWS. For not a lot of money you could have a fun model and enough 9.6 NIMH'S to stay up 'till your neck hurts. That and some foam safe CA for repairs until another $30.00 slope glider is required. Also, don't equate a forced break with quitting--life forces breaks on you sometimes. I have not launched my boat in two years because my youngest son is a flaming lunatic. This year he's finally calmed down enough for my wife to allow me to get a slip. In due time the money will be there---it will just be a matter of if what you want to spend it on changes.

charlie2
04-26-2006, 05:28 AM
GEO8498,
Do yourself, and anyone else in the area, a big favor- GET RID OF the glued props. They WILL come apart.
Chuck

Jollyroger
04-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Be patient. I know what it was like at your age.Surprise!
I picked cherries and mowed lawns. I then got a job as a janitorial assistant at the school and then at a local grocery store. At your age you might try a local grocery store as a bagger/ carry out. It is hard at your age especially without transport.
Getting a job at ahardware store wouldn't be half bad. Lots of good hobby stuff there. If you really get the bug then try a hobby shop.
Good luck and hang in there! Jollyroger

LannyG
05-09-2006, 02:55 AM
Gee, I wish somebody would have told me all this stuff when I was in eighth grade. Nobody did and I was the rare exception that would have listened!
Hey, check out that Superfly for 3D type stuff and durability.
LannyG

TLyttle
05-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Good grief, I am sure old... I spent 2 months saving up for an engine, another month for a cheap kit, when I was 13. I worked in a gas station, and built wood flatboxes for a greenhouse, still not much money...

LannyG
05-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Good grief, I am sure old... I spent 2 months saving up for an engine, another month for a cheap kit, when I was 13. I worked in a gas station, and built wood flatboxes for a greenhouse, still not much money...
It doesn't matter about money. When you've worked for it its more fun. I've had more money times and less money times and it doesn't change your happiness or lack thereof. Watch people and see.
You can get used radio gear or inexpensive stuff. Sometimes a basic radio is more fun than a computer radio. You can buy a durable plane or one you can fix. In my Dad's day they hadn't even started to use balsa. They built up each rib out of bamboo strips. And KIDS did it! Had great fun!